Featured Rater #18 - Shiba

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Banner by imas234
Welcome to the Featured Rater project! This is a series of interviews where we ask Team Raters, new and old, several questions about the RMT forum and their experiences within it. We hope that this offers both entertainment and an insight into their thought processes, which aspiring raters can look to incorporate into their own rates. This project is hosted by Snowy., Analytic and myself. Our seventeenth interviewee is one of our official UU raters, Shiba!

Shiba
Tell us a little bit about your life outside Smogon.

I'm a college Freshman from Arizona. I'm an accounting major, kinda boring but makes a lot of money so I'm down for it :^) As for hobbies, I'm a big fan of American football (Ravens fan) and playing some video games, obviously Pokemon and stuff like Gears of War, CoD Zombies, H1Z1, Rocket League, and some other games like that.

What is your main tier? Do you rate teams from any other tiers?

My main tier is UU, I'm pretty fluent in some other tiers but not to the point where I can rate teams well

When did you start rating and why?

I started rating back in June 2015. I joined Smogon in late 2014 but really started contributing at that point in June. I really wanted to get integrated with more parts of the forums and help people with their UU teams, so I started with the RMT forum, and I really enjoy it :]. I think another part of the reason I started rating is so it could help me with some of my own teams for tours and stuff like that.

Are there any raters who you looked up to when you started rating?

I was part of that UU wave of raters that came through all at once (Vapo, teal, King UU, me), but I guess I looked up to the UU TR's at the time (Hairy Toenail, IB, Bouff and dodmen) :toast:, they always provided really solid rates whenever they did rate and always made teams better. They definitely inspired me to a degree to start rating.

What do you most enjoy about rating?

I just like being able to help people with their teams. It's always a good feeling if they approach you on PS or in the thread and say that my advice for their team has improved it majorly, again it's a fantastic feeling :]

Do you follow a process with your rates?

I kind of go towards suggesting ways to make a team more balanced (obviously not on HO teams but you know what I mean), so I like to give teams a great defensive backbone that takes on a lot of threats in the metagame. What I like to do first with my rates is identify the biggest threats to the team overall. Then, I like to suggest a Pokemon to sub over a Pokemon that the team doesn't need. What's important about this is that the Pokemon that you substitute in can't make the team weak to anything else, which can kind of be a tall task sometimes, but I can usually find a way around it. After I substitute Pokemon in (if the team needs any), I move onto sets, EV spreads, and natures, just small stuff mostly, always suggesting a more optimal set to help them against a certain threat or something like that.

Do you have any words of advice for aspiring raters?

Always make sure you know quite a bit about the tier you're rating in. If you don't know the tier well, it's pretty obvious how it will be reflected in the rates themselves. Also it helps if you play that respective tier a lot and keep up with current drops and metagame trends (kinda like how Cobalion showed up out of nowhere in UU and started being one of the most splashable Pokemon in the tier) and stuff like that. If you do all of those things, I think it'll be pretty easy to produce some great quality in your rates :]

Do you like the direction the RMT forum is taking at the moment? If you could change something, what would it be?

I do like the way the RMT Forum is going, I really like the leaders and everything they do for the community :toast:. I'm not sure if I would change anything since I like the way it's been handled so far, but if I had to choose something I would say that more rating activities that could draw in more raters/RMT posters would be fun :]

Seeing as RMT has a large UU community, are there any projects besides the current ones that you think could be run to further expand it?

I think maybe a team rater competition would be a fun tour to run, kinda like how OU did one awhile back here:http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-team-rater-competition-sign-ups-full.3553881/ :]. With all the aspiring team raters for UU coming up lately, I definitely think it would get a nice, healthy number of participants that could make it fun, not to mention how great some of the ones are with their rates now.

How do you think the recent drops in UU have affected the metagame? Have you changed your rating style in any way to adapt to it?

I think the recent drops of Gyarados and Alakazam are huge for the meta, making it more offensive than ever. I'm more of a balance player myself (though I can play other playstyles bar stall pretty well also) and I find it hard to cover everything nowadays with the main structure of balanced teams. As for rating, it still hasn't really changed my style of it, I still usually like to recommend teams a very solid defensive backbone that they can fall back on in case anything bad happens midgame or they're extremely weak to something.

Has your experience with rating teams had an influence on the way you play?

I think it definitely has had an influence on the way I build, not so much on the playing aspect of the game though. I've always been one to make some sort of flashy plays once in awhile, and like taking risks (even when using balance), and I still tend to do it even when I have a defensive backbone to fall back on.

Lastly, can you give us an example of a rate that exemplifies your particular style?

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/fly-dragonfly-peak-is-irrelevant.3547498/#post-6388738 here's a rate from a little awhile ago :] it's pretty obvious that I'm a neat freak and I like to make it look nice with sprites and stuff like that.

------------

Thanks for taking the time to do this man! Feel free to leave any questions you have for Shiba below :toast:

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
If you could make one ranking change in the UU vr, what would it be?

What do you think of Crawdaunt now that it's been in UU a while?

How do you organize your mental checklist of threats to cover (assuming you have one)? Like I lump offensive waters bar daunt together in my head (gatr/gyara/mpert/shark), what "shortcuts" like that do you use?

Describe R0ady in one word

Would you teach me AAA sometime?

Thoughts on this?:

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
If you could make one ranking change in the UU vr, what would it be?
Zapdos to A+. imo its probably the best offensive defogger in the tier over Mence and should get a lot more love than it actually has been getting. On most of my teams lately, Zapdos is a STAPLE. :]

What do you think of Crawdaunt now that it's been in UU a while?
I still think it shouldn't be UU, its Knock Off is stupidly strong :[

How do you organize your mental checklist of threats to cover (assuming you have one)? Like I lump offensive waters bar daunt together in my head (gatr/gyara/mpert/shark), what "shortcuts" like that do you use?
What I usually like to do is designate a Pokemon I want to build around (ex: wanting to build around Gyara for my RMT), then go through the top Pokemon in the metagame (Mence, Drei, Suicune, Entei, Coba) to build the defensive backbone and stack up redundant checks to a lot of them. Obviously some Pokemon can fill a variety of roles, such as Zapdos filling the roles of a Defogger, bulky water check, Doublade/Coba/Luke check, etc. Same thing goes for Doublade as a Fairy, Normal, Physical Dragon, and Psychic check. It's kind of complicated to explain my thought process in building but it basically just revolves around Pokemon filling multiple roles while having good synergy doing so, hope you can understand what i mean o_O. Obviously as a mostly-balance player, the playstyle has been strained even more by the drop of Alakazam (I've still been trying to find a good blend of balance since it dropped but its been relatively hard since I feel kind of forced to run a Pursuit trapper), but soon enough it'll come to me I guess.

For other playstyles like offense, its pretty much the same thing, but just instead of a defensive backbone like balance, you have to focus more on the offensive part of it, i.e finding out what you can and can't break with the Pokemon you put together

Describe R0ady in one word
B A D

Would you teach me AAA sometime?
Sure thing bud :] its the best OM

Thoughts on this?:
i like shibas ngl

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Favorite mon in UU?

You should host a TR competition for UU imo. I'd be down to help you set it up, and it's really cool since it attracts more raters than practice rounds do :)

If you had to describe the most dominant mons/playstyles/cores in UU, what would they be?

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you could change one thing about yourself to not suck so much, what would it be?
What do you want to drop to UU that would be really broken but fun before it got banned

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Favorite mon in UU?
Mega Houndoom or Doublade oo

You should host a TR competition for UU imo. I'd be down to help you set it up, and it's really cool since it attracts more raters than practice rounds do :)
I'll have to talk to the other UU TRs but yeah it seems like a great way for more raters to get involved :] I liked how you hosted the OU one so maybe the same format could go with it if we ever carry it out.

If you had to describe the most dominant mons/playstyles/cores in UU, what would they be?
Salamence and Alakazam are the most dominant Pokemon in the current metagame imo. Alakazam is extremely hard to kill if you don't carry a pursuit trapper (Scarfers aren't really a thing in UU anymore), but even then it could be running Sash to just kill your trapper. Salamence is just Salamence with its versatility.. raw power with LO, DD sweeper, scarf moxie cleaner, wall, whatever you want it to be!

Since Zam dropped I would probably have to say offense is the more dominant playstyle now, its so hard to account for everything with balance now :[

I like Mega Scep + Gyara :] No bias at all!

If you could change one thing about yourself to not suck so much, what would it be?
Reduce choking in big tours like UU open :[

What do you want to drop to UU that would be really broken but fun before it got banned
Not that its broken or anything, but I want Celebi to drop ;]. If it has to be a broken Pokemon I'd want Volc to drop, bulky Quiver Dance would be so fun to use LOL

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
why don't you have shiba on ps? (4th time is the charm)
why do you hate my memes? i work hard on them :[
how dominant of a player do you think you'll become if celebi drops? also celepass is gay.
what kind of teams do you hate rating?

Reactions: rs

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
why don't you have shiba on ps? (4th time is the charm)
Some PS policy bullshit you know how it is :[ Zarel won't give in
why do you hate my memes? i work hard on them :[
Cause you've memed me out of a win twice, LO PSYCHIC FLORGES GTFO WITH THAT CHEESE
how dominant of a player do you think you'll become if celebi drops? also celepass is gay.
Top 3 atleast, opponents should FEAR ME
what kind of teams do you hate rating?
Stall or balls-to-the-wall HO, I don't fancy playing either of those playstyles so its kinda hard for me to rate them well enough

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I am a bit late to the party, but first off congrats Shibae on being featured n_n

Question time!

1) Favorite genre of video game as well as your favorite game in said genre?

2) Besides Celebi (because Celepass is obvious), what is your favorite OU Pokemon that you would want in UU that also wouldn't be broken in UU? (It doesn't have to be one that would ever drop based on usage either :o)

3) Favorite Pokemon based on cuteness?

That is it from me. Again congrats :)

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
I am a bit late to the party, but first off congrats Shibae on being featured n_n

Question time!

1) Favorite genre of video game as well as your favorite game in said genre?
3rd Person shooters, I like stuff like Gears of War and Star Wars Battlefront n_n honorable mention to CoD Zombies, I play that a ton as well (even though its 1st person)

2) Besides Celebi (because Celepass is obvious), what is your favorite OU Pokemon that you would want in UU that also wouldn't be broken in UU? (It doesn't have to be one that would ever drop based on usage either :o)
Man this thread is all about my strategy when Celebi drops D: leaks af imo. I want Starmie to drop though, it wasn't broken when it was here and I would actually like to use a viable offensive spinner not named Mega Blastoise in UU. Also Jirachi would be really nice for Zam, but yeah Starmie is number 1 for me

3) Favorite Pokemon based on cuteness?
Garbodor (fr though Azumarill i guess, bunnies are pretty sick)

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
Thoughts on my new alt?
nice photoshop nerd (I'll give you money for it if you really have it.. :[)

Why do you use Celepass so much? D:
It's what made me what I am today, why stray away from it ;]

Teach me how to rate UU teams later y/y
Only if you teach me how to rate NU teams bb :]. (also you should tutor me in NU whenever you can imho)

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
You have the option of banning Mamo, Crawdaunt, and Alakazam, but as a result, Celebi will never drop. What do you choose?

What is the most "heat" set you made that is viable?

Joe flaccid am I right

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
You have the option of banning Mamo, Crawdaunt, and Alakazam, but as a result, Celebi will never drop. What do you choose?
Probably Alakazam, its way faster than other wallbreakers and its coverage is stupidly good. Honorable runner-up in crawdaunt though, hate Knock Offs.

What is the most "heat" set you made that is viable?

Healthy Diet (Celebi) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance / Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Seed Bomb / Giga Drain

#BRINGBACKCELEBI

Joe flaccid am I right
#Elite.

edit @ below: YES I WOULD BAN ALL 3 FOR CELEBI TO NEVER DROP

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Probably Alakazam, its way faster than other wallbreakers and its coverage is stupidly good. Honorable runner-up in crawdaunt though, hate Knock Offs.

Healthy Diet (Celebi) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance / Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Seed Bomb / Giga Drain

#BRINGBACKCELEBI

#Elite.
M8 I asked if you would ban all 3 at the expense of preventing Celebi from ever dropping again, but the Flacco pic earned you a like

Reactions: rs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)