Move Fell Stinger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fell Stinger
BP 30 | Accuracy 100 | PP 25 (Max. 40)

Fell Stinger deals damage, and if the target is knocked out by this move, the user's Attack is raised by two stages.

- The move's distribution is not confirmed yet.
- The one prominent Pokémon that comes to mind after looking at this move is
and maybe
Oh wait maybe Beedrill or basically anything with a Stinger, I suppose.

- How viable do you think the move is on Scizor? With a Bug Gem equipped, backed by Technician and STAB, Fell Stinger hits considerably hard. Granted the opponent might just switch, this move might just give a great chance to Scizor for picking weakened mons (Fire being the only type that resists both Fell Stinger and Bullet Punch).

- How viable is this in the lower tiers? It's no use predicting which Pokémon will get it, but something like Moxie Mega Heracross can benefit from it hugely (+3 Attack after KOing opponent with Fell Stinger). Agility + Bug Gem Fell Stinger can be effective in RU or NU.

Last edited:
the low BP of the move IMO condemns it because even after the boosts you mention it won't ko anything that's not already on death door more than likely.

and your probably better off finding a free turn to swords dance than than try to hit with a weak ass move only good for killing almost keeled over pokemon.

granted the move idea is cool but gamefreak went overkill on the low BP to keep the move from being too good.

I dont see any use for it at all on Scizor to be honest. Scizor has Swords Dance to boost it's attack and it will also still prefer the CB set (unless Mega Scizor outclasses regular setups) and this is not a move you want to be locked into.

Using a moveslot for a 30 BP Bug Attack is not tempting at all, even though Scizor has Technician. It's true that Bullet Punch (which is only 10 BP more) is a staple move on Scizor but it's strength lies in the combination of priority, Technician and the extra power Choice Band provides. I doubt Fell Stinger is a move that has utility on a CB set. Replacing Swords Dance with Fell Stinger on the SD set will only give situational advantages.

In short: Swords Dance outclasses it by far as it gives you +2 Attack no matter what happens and the CB set disapproves as being locked in a weak bug-type move is asking your opponent to setup on it.

Eh, I can see this potentially being used on Scizor that were running Bug Bite - less power in exchange for potential attack boosts, sure. The problem is with the Fury Cutter boosts, I don't see why you shouldn't just use that if you want attack boosting.

Other than Scizor? Depends on who gets it, I guess.

Escavalier learns it via Heart Scale btw(just confirmed).

Won't help his situation so much i believe, maybe in a trick room team, switching into a almost dead pokemon, then using it and getting the bonus, boosted attack megahorn can be deadly(although it can be walled without much effort).

Escavalier gets SD, it will always prefer using that because SD is simply easier to use.

Unless something DOESN'T get SD but gets this, no one will run this move.

It is a very situational move that is hard to use, it looks good on paper, but the move is hard pressed to deliver. If there is a mon who have all it needs in 2-3 moveslots, can't carry SD, and would love the possibility of +2 Atk then this would be a useful move. Something like a speedier Heracross without SD in it's movepool would like this. Still an intersting move though.

When compared to Swords Dance, Fell Stinger has the benefit of working through taunt, but how often is Scizor even taunted in the first place? It's far too unreliable when you consider the risks. You also need to consider that, for coverage reasons, Scizor can really only carry one Bug stab. An unboosted Bug Bite is hard to beat as it is powerful enough to KO select pokemon after hazards. Fell Stinger will struggle to do the same just to get its effect to work. It also needs to compete with U-turn which on many sets is already preferable to Bug Bite.

Like I said in another thread, Fell Stinger is an interesting idea, but needs a significant power boost OR priority to be useful.

Is it confirmed as +2?

With the wording (drastically rather than harshly, the normal +2 word) I assumed it would be minimum +3 if not maxing it out.

It would be completely pointless as +2 because almost anything its viable on gets SD anyway

With the wording (drastically rather than harshly, the normal +2 word) I assumed it would be minimum +3 if not maxing it out.
Wait, it says DRASTICALLY?

Uh, that's the +3 boost wording, like for Cotton Guard and Tail Glow.

That has... interesting implications. And potential applications.

Wait, it says DRASTICALLY?

Uh, that's the +3 boost wording, like for Cotton Guard and Tail Glow.

That has... interesting implications. And potential applications.

Hmm.

On a second look serebii changed its wording.

Last night it said drastically, now its sharply, can anyone confirm in game?

+2 just seems worthless since every bug thats usable (except pinsir maybe im not sure?) on all get SD

When it triggers, it says "rose sharply", +2 then.

Im really confident that this move will be revisited in the future(even if it takes a whole new gen), 30 BP is too underwhelming.

- How viable do you think the move is on Scizor? With a Bug Gem equipped, backed by Technician and STAB, Fell Stinger hits considerably hard. Granted the opponent might just switch, this move might just give a great chance to Scizor for picking weakened mons (Fire being the only type that resists both Fell Stinger and Bullet Punch).
Well first off, Steel also resists both this and Bullet Punch, and there are plenty of Pokemon of both types that laugh at the combination of Bug and Steel offenses. Why do you think Scizor packs Superpower?

Anyway, it could be notable as STAB and Technician make it comparable in power (approx 70) to a moderate coverage move, and the attack boost could be good to be sure. But really, Mega Scizor would rather just use Bug Bite and Swords Dance, thankyouverymuch. A Choice Band Scizor would also be locked into a weak and exploitable coverage move if it used this - even with the choice band, attack boosts, STAB and Technician, it still won't do much to things that resist it.

It looks cool on paper, but after some deep thought, its not that great. It would be hilarious for the lolz but i don't think it will see much competitive play.

The only real advantages is that you can kill AND get an SD up so it can work in some situations. It also isn't effected by Taunt...I guess.

This is a VERY gimmickly move.
Although, if I had to choose the best candidates for running it, I would opt for either Drapion or Beedrill, as they have a "decent" Speed stat to go along with it, as opposed to Scizor and Vespiquen. Clearly, the only way to use this move effectively is by revenge killing something at slow health and grabbing the boost. Neither Scizor nor Vespiquen can revenge kill anything (the former without priority, at least).
The Bug Gem idea seems quite viable though, although that would mean building a Pokémon in order to use Fell Stinger, for which I'd rather use Swords Dance.
All in all, as situational as it may seem, I believe that if you can work out how to use it effectively, it will be a very cool move to use.

Well, wouldn't this allow for a pokemon to still gain stat boosts while wearing an Assault Vest?

Possible applications for a bulkey Scizor set there, or any other bruisermon you'd want to be running an Assault Vest on.

If escavalier learns it, it may be a decent move in an assault vest set, allowing him to boost his attack with the restrictions AV has. The same goes for many other, although Excavalier deserves some love because of its decent bulk, great type and stupid movepool ): He's an armored snail with two lances! What could be cooler than that? (not counting ninja slugs, of course)

I think putting it this way will help us grasp Fell Stinger better: its essentially a conditional Swords Dance boost. Its small pool of advantages include not being affected by Taunt, potentially getting a revenge kill (but at extremely low health), and nothing is immune to it. Honestly, though, anyone with Swords Dance is better off using that rather than this if they intend to straight up sweep with it. However, I do see merit on a trapping Baton Pass set, such as Infestation/Fell Stinger/Protect/Baton Pass or something along those lines. Being able to kill something and boost at the same time when something is worn down has merit. But if want a sweeping tool, Fell Stinger is not the move you'll want to use.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Fell Stinger is more of a momentum tool in Baton Pass chains. Picking a weakened enemy off after boosts, then giving them to a separate Pokemon to use an extra attack boost on top of it. Better than using Swords Dance since you want an opponent to do as little as possible.

There is nothing preventing the usage of SD and Fell Stinger, I believe Scizor has a common set of SD/BP/Bug Bite/Super Power. Again, situational but worth a note.

It feels a lot like Power-Up Punch- it's a niche move for Pokemon that are going to have Assault Vest strapped on and can't boost otherwise. If only it had priority, or +10 BP or so...it does feel like a move that won't get much use till the next generation rolls along, but got deliberately underpowered to see if anyone could abuse it in the current game.

It feels a lot like Power-Up Punch- it's a niche move for Pokemon that are going to have Assault Vest strapped on and can't boost otherwise. If only it had priority, or +10 BP or so...it does feel like a move that won't get much use till the next generation rolls along, but got deliberately underpowered to see if anyone could abuse it in the current game.
There's one difference between the two, however: Power-Up Punch is a better typing since it has more things weak to it, is guaranteed to give you the promised attack boost instead of requiring a kill, and can be more conveniently be strategized around, with Mega Kangaskhan being the most prominent example. Fell Stinger could've been worth it if it had more benefits attached to it beyond a conditional Swords Dance boost. +3, a slightly higher base power (like 45 or 50), or both would've made it much more viable.

Fell Stinger
BP 30 | Accuracy 100 | PP 25 (Max. 40)

Fell Stinger deals damage, and if the target is knocked out by this move, the user's Attack is raised by two stages.

- The move's distribution is not confirmed yet.
- The one prominent Pokémon that comes to mind after looking at this move is
and maybe
Oh wait maybe Beedrill or basically anything with a Stinger, I suppose.

- How viable is this in the lower tiers? It's no use predicting which Pokémon will get it, but something like Moxie Mega Heracross can benefit from it hugely (+3 Attack after KOing opponent with Fell Stinger). Agility + Bug Gem Fell Stinger can be effective in RU or NU.
Mega Heracross doesn't get Moxie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)