Ferrothorn (0/2)

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Leech Seed
move 2: Gyro Ball
move 3: Protect / Stealth Rock / Body Press
move 4: Power Whip / Body Press / Bullet Seed
item: Leftovers / Occa Berry
ability: Iron Barbs
nature: Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* This set aims to spread chip damage and stay healthy with Leech Seed.

* Protect stalls out Leech Seed and Leftovers turns, in addition to stalling out Dynamax.

* Stealth Rock is a supportive move that can be useful to break Focus Sash and put dangerous attackers such as Togekiss and Gyarados in KO range.

* Body Press hits opposing Ferrothorn and Excadrill, and pressures opposing Snorlax.

* Power Whip deals strong damage to Primarina and Rotom-W. However, it is prone to missing. Bullet Seed comes at a severe loss of damage, but does not miss, and can break through opposing Substitute and Disguise.

* Knock Off is a great utility move and always makes progress, but Ferrothorn has a lot of attacks it wants to be using and not enough moveslots to fit them all.

* Leftovers has great synergy with Leech Seed + Protect, and is the primary option.

* Occa Berry generally guarantees a turn for Ferrothorn, letting it use Leech Seed or Stealth Rock with more freedom.

* Sitrus Berry and Iapapa Berry are viable other options as the held item that can provide instant healing for Ferrothorn out of KO range, but will generally not heal as much as Leftovers throughout the game.

EV Spreads
========

* Spread minimizes Speed for Gyro Ball, and maximizes physical bulk.

* 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD Sassy nature is an example of a Specially Defensive spread that lets Ferrothorn survive a Hydreigon +2 Max Darkness from full health.

[SET]
name: Set-Up
move 1: Iron Defense / Curse
move 2: Body Press / Bullet Seed
move 3: Leech Seed
move 4: Gyro Ball
item: Leftovers / Occa Berry / Sitrus Berry
ability: Iron Barbs
nature: Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Iron Defense + Body Press lets Ferrothorn do a lot of damage for a defensive tank.

* Leech Seed can recover HP lost trying to set up, and can let Ferrothorn completely stonewall physical attackers. It is also the best move to cover a switch-in when Ferrothorn cannot sweep yet.

* Gyro Ball lets Ferrothorn OHKO Togekiss on the switch and is a generally useful STAB move.

* Ferrothorn can also use Curse to also boost its STAB moves. It is generally more difficult to set up, but it allows Ferrothorn to use its Grass-type STAB move such as Bullet Seed instead, which is pretty important for it to check Water-types like Primarina and Rotom-W.

[General Team Options]

* Ferrothorn has a crippling weakness to Fire-types. It is important to cover Fire- and Fighting-types in the teambuilder.

* It is possible to complete a Fire-Water-Grass core, but it is not mandatory due to the small number of viable Fire-types in the game.

Water-types: :primarina: :rotom-wash: :toxapex: :gyarados:

Fighting-type checks: :dragapult: :togekiss: :mimikyu:

Fire-types: :rotom-heat: :cinderace: :incineroar:

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[marilli, 70760]]
- Quality checked by: [[ ], [ ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[ ]]

Last edited:
The second set has Levitate as the ability.

How do you feel about Knock-Off? I think it's a decently common utility option, but going beyond three slashes feels a little messy and maybe you could just mention it as an option in the set comments? Usually people opt to drop Grass STAB for Knock Off since Leech Seed is usually enough to force out a Water-type.

It might be worth mentioning that Body Press improves the matchup vs Excadrill. Both Body Press and Power Whip will 2HKO but Power Whip can miss and generally Body Press means you have to worry one less turn about dodging Horn Drill.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I know this was written pre-DLC but I feel like this mostly holds up the same post-DLC? Obviously Cinderace being everywhere and more Fighting-types are a problem for Ferrothorn but Rillaboom existing and the rise in Waters to combat Cinderace is good for it. Otherwise I can't think of much I would change, other than making mention of some of the DLC threats.

I do feel like setup Ferrothorn will be harder to use in this meta though, wondering if that set might be something we might want to reconsider as a main set. Iron Defense is probably fine though Curse might be too hard to use right now.

Otherwise I'll give this QC 1/2 again even though cant say already did so last month, just because DLC meta and I don't feel comfortable going straight to 2/2 just yet when I don't have too much to add.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I know this was written pre-DLC but I feel like this mostly holds up the same post-DLC? Obviously Cinderace being everywhere and more Fighting-types are a problem for Ferrothorn but Rillaboom existing and the rise in Waters to combat Cinderace is good for it. Otherwise I can't think of much I would change, other than making mention of some of the DLC threats.

I do feel like setup Ferrothorn will be harder to use in this meta though, wondering if that set might be something we might want to reconsider as a main set. Iron Defense is probably fine though Curse might be too hard to use right now.

Otherwise I'll give this QC 1/2 again even though cant say already did so last month, just because DLC meta and I don't feel comfortable going straight to 2/2 just yet when I don't have too much to add.
Setting up Ferro is still fine (especially with Occa Berry, making it difficult for Cinderace to switch in without taking massive damage). In fact, I think making Occa Berry a primary slash is something to consider, especially since Iron Defense isn't running protect to help gain HP passively (have to rely on leech seed), and +2 Occa lives Cinderace attacks. Additionally, I don't think Curse has been usable since S1-2, Iron Defense Body Press is far more viable, and think Curse can be removed from a slash.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Post DLC AM QC check lmao

Drop curse its bad.
Swap bullet seed for knock off.
Mention for Toxic/Bullet Seed

Rest is good, gj.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)