Fighting Onslaught

Fighting Onslaught

Yea yea I know all my teams look alike fuck you. I've been using this team for a while, and it peaked #3 or #4 (don't remember how many fucking WhiteQueen alts were in front of me). It really showed how you don't need to use hail to win in this metagame...but it sure is easier that way. The basic idea is to abuse entry hazards, weaken counters, and sweep (like that surprises anyone).

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Role

Zapdos is an excellent sweeper, but most importantly Zapdos makes an excellent check to many Pokemon such as Heracross, Escavalier, and even Celebi who are all destroyed by Heat Wave. With Spikes support, Zapdos can be incredibly hard to deal with since every Zapdos counter is either weak to Stealth Rock (Rotom-H) or grounded.

Specifics

Thunderbolt is Zapdos’s main STAB attack and it hurts with a Life Orb boost. Heat Wave nails Heracross and others hard and makes a great coverage move. Hidden Power Ice is what I chose because catching Flygon on the switch saves me a headache later in the game. Roost is an obvious choice because even with Life Orb, Zapdos is very bulky and can avoid many 2HKOes and stall with Pressure. If the opponent has something incredibly bulky and has reliable recovery (like Chansey), then that makes a great time to use Roost.

Froslass (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 232 HP / 100 Def / 176 Spd
- Taunt
- Pain Split
- Spikes
- Ice Beam

Role

Froslass is my baby, and it has been since last gen. Froslass is not only my Spiker, Spin Blocker, and utility counter, but it also makes a great revenge killer and hail buffer. Froslass destroys most variants of hail as long as they don’t use a Pursuit Pokemon, which they don’t often try. Froslass is also very important to beat Pokemon like Flygon who would otherwise walk all over my steel-less team.

Specifics

This is my “Bulky Slass” spread that I’ve been using since the beginning with some slight changes. It’s EV’d to survive a Scarf Adamant Outrage from Flygon and it easily KOes back with Ice Beam. It can take various Scalds from Pokemon like Suicune, and can take 3 Wood Hammers from Abomasnow. It has the ability to heal up with Pain Split as well, especially if Pokemon like Suicune are on the opponents team.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Atk / 96 Def / 16 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash / Ice Shard / Toxic

Role

Donphan is simply my Stealth Rocker and Rapid Spinner as well as my physical pivot. It can deal with Rhyperior and various Stone Edge users quite easily, especially with my Heracross counters being weak to Rock. It’s kind of odd to think of having a team without Donphan…..it covers so many necessary tasks.

Specifics

Donphan has enough defense to comfortably survive a couple Megahorns from Heracross, Earthquakes from Rhyperior, and even Outrages from Flygon.

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 44 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Def / 116 SDef
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Body Slam
- Whirlwind

Role

This Snorlax has saved my ass so many times by just sitting there and not dying. It spreads paralysis for Heracross to more easily sweep, stops set-up Pokemon, counters Fire and Ice-types (Hail hard counter anyone?) and PP stalls so many Pokemon due to rest (like Froslass). Whirlwind also abuses the entry hazards that go up so easily for this team.

Specifics

Snorlax is EV’d to 2HKO Heracross (I think) and deal with Pokemon like Victini and Arcanine more effectively. The rest of the EVs are put into SpD to tank Special hits like we all know Snorlax can.

Heracross (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Role

Part one of fighting onslaught. Heracross is probably the most important part of my team. It is my one and only Pursuit. I switch it into whatever Ghost (if I think I can safely get it in, but it’s usually on the revenge kill), then Pursuit it. If it switches out, it dies and Heracross’s primary job is done. Otherwise, Heracross uses its Megahorn + Close Combat combination to break down the opponents team. Even Pokemon that resist Megahorn and Close Combat take a huge chunk of damage due to Heracross’s beastly Attack stat, and generally the 25%+ damage from my entry hazards. This wears all Fighting-type counters down and opens up the door for Medicham.

Specifics

Standard Band Cross with a Jolly nature. It outpaces any silly Nidoking as well as not max Speed base 100s. I’ve been debating changing to Adamant, but the extra Speed has proven useful against other Heracross as well.

Medicham (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
- Hi Jump Kick
- Trick
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch

Role

Medicham is my late-game cleaner versus offense. I weaken / paralyze everything that can survive / outspeed Scarf Cham and then let loose my Hi Jump Kicks that deal more damage than anything ever even with a Scarf. 480 Attack, 195 Base Power (after STAB), and 388 Speed. Yes please. No one is prepared for this somehow RU Pokemon because they simply don’t expect it. No one runs Spiritomb to switch into Hi Jump Kick and CB Pursuit me. Because Medicham has access to Trick, any full stall team will get destroyed by free attacking Leftovers Medicham that can’t really die that easily and likely has an attack to 2HKO everything. Paired with Heracross, it’s stalls nightmare, especially if it tricks the fighting counter. Trick also helps if anyone is still stupid enough to use Baton Pass.

Specifics

HJK is for power, Psycho Cut is for coverage and reliability. Ice Punch nails Celebi for an easy 1-2HKO and Flygon for an easy OHKO. Trick is the real kicker for stall teams, it makes Scarf Cham very

So yea that's it. Here's "how" I beat Rain and Hail:

Hail - Hail isn't that bad. You set up Spikes and get Froslass out of there. Get Heracross out as soon as possible, then proceed to DESTROY their entire team with Spikes + Stealth Rock Megahorn. The only challenging ones is when you need to overstrain Froslass (like versus WhiteQueen's infamous team). You may have to sacrifice Spikes for Froslass staying healthy in that case while also keeping Stealth Rock up. It may be a good idea to get their Spinner out of commission with Donphan's powerful attacks before trying to get Stealth Rock up. Snorlax can stall Hail all day if you need to, so take your time.

Rain - Seen a couple rain teams...they are hard to beat if you get any sort of hax against you because every turn counts. You need to keep Donphan around for Kabutops since he survives Waterfall due to Sturdy...but that flinch is fucking dumb when it happens. Snorlax can also take a Waterfall, but it can't do much back. Medicham is good to open with because you can trick their rock out, and waste their turns by forcing them to switch out and allowing you almost assuredly drill one of their sweepers into oblivion. Just make sure to keep Froslass out so they don't set more Rain up.

Weakeness: This team is majorly weak against physical water-types. I need to revenge kill them or I lose, since Snorlax is my only wall for water-types......and it doesn't like Waterfalls.

Importable: Sorry if this sounds conceited, but I'm sure people will want to try it out at least....if not whatever fuck you.

Code:
Zapdos @ Life Orb Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Froslass (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 232 HP / 100 Def / 176 Spd
- Taunt
- Pain Split
- Spikes
- Ice Beam

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Atk / 96 Def / 16 Spd
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 44 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Def / 116 SDef
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Body Slam
- Whirlwind

Heracross (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Guts
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Medicham (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pure Power
- Hi Jump Kick
- Trick
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch
Basically I want to know if there is any way to make it better (and I mean actually better, not add a weakness in order to get rid of another). If there isn't, feel free to let me know as well. Just want it to be the best it can.

Good team, the fact that it really hasn't changed much since round 1 is a testament to how stable the core is. Anyway the one thing I want to put out there is that it's odd that you don't have a pursuit user on a team that relies on hitting hard with two choiced fighting types. You could try four attack snorlax (normal attack / crunch / pursuit / fire punch) with choice band if you want to hit things hard or leftovers if youre a pussy. Still very bulky and will get rid of those pesky mismagius and froslass.

Good thing you put in an importable I didn't wanna have to manually type all that in to steal it.

Although you fucked it up. You need to have a free line between the pokemons last move and the next pokes name.

ex:
-head smash
Snorlax

Hit enter between them.

How well do you deal with Subsplit mismagius? I know they arent common, but it seems like your team would have trouble with it.

Lol i just got to the Smogon UU leaderboard with your team in 10 minutes...

That just shows how effective this team can be and how prepared it is to deal with common threats. In my testing, I have found Snorlax to be an absolute stop to Nidoking, and a great general special wall. The only thing that I didn't really like was Head Smash on Donphan, I almost never used it, and perhaps something like Ice Shard to revenge weakened Flygon? I'm not quite sure. Other than that, I don't really know how I can improve this team.

I've always found that version of BulkyLass massively underwhelming... It doesn't sponge hits as well as you might think it really doesn't. I'd actually advocate dropping down to 32 Speed Timid and dumping the rest into Defence. This actually let's you take I believe 3 Adamant Choice Scarf Flygon's Earthquake (44.6% - 52.5%). The extra speed really doesn't help that much in my experience.

Similarly, I'd switch out Head Smash on Donphan for either Assurance (to nail -Ghost type switch in's with 100% accuracy) or Ice Shard which gives you added security versus Flygon and also gives you some priority which the entire team lacks. By making this switch, it allows you to run Hidden Power [Grass] on Zapdos to provide better coverage and nails Gastrodon (if it stays down...).

DD Feraligatr as previously mentioned may be problematic if allowed to set up, but against this team it doesn't actually have a massively easy job.
The only thing it gets a free switch into and sets up on is Medicham's Ice Punch (everything else will hit it hard or Taunt in Froslass' case).

Calm Mind Suicune could pose a threat should Snorlax go down, so I'd argue changing Ice Punch to ThunderPunch from your Medicham which enables you to hit it on it's non-boosted side. You also have the added benefit of hitting those -Water types you were weak to previously very hard.

Froslass (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 224 HP/252 Def/32 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Pain Split
- Spikes
- Taunt

This is definitely my favoured Froslass set, 224 HP gives you the highest possible Leftovers number whilst retaining 5 switch-ins to Stealth Rock without factoring Leftovers, 32 Speed Timid let's you outspeed non-positive speed natured base 95's such as Arcanine and the 252 Defence simply maximises physical defence. You could consider running Shadow Ball or Thunderbolt over Ice Beam should you REALLY need to check -Water types better, especially if you make the Head Smash > Ice Shard change I mentioned previously on Donphan.

How well do you deal with Subsplit mismagius? I know they arent common, but it seems like your team would have trouble with it.
Heracross beats it 1v1. Head Smash from Donphan hits it pretty hard too, but mostly I try and Pursuit it asap.

That just shows how effective this team can be and how prepared it is to deal with common threats. In my testing, I have found Snorlax to be an absolute stop to Nidoking, and a great general special wall. The only thing that I didn't really like was Head Smash on Donphan, I almost never used it, and perhaps something like Ice Shard to revenge weakened Flygon? I'm not quite sure. Other than that, I don't really know how I can improve this team.
Yea I was thinking that, but Froslass switching in for free doesn't bode well for me. I used to use Toxic but then I couldn't hit Misdreavus at all.

I've always found that version of BulkyLass massively underwhelming... It doesn't sponge hits as well as you might think it really doesn't. I'd actually advocate dropping down to 32 Speed Timid and dumping the rest into Defence. This actually let's you take I believe 3 Adamant Choice Scarf Flygon's Earthquake (44.6% - 52.5%). The extra speed really doesn't help that much in my experience.
That is a flat 2HKO from Flygon's Earthquake. Remember Froslass is Stealth Rock weak.

Anyway I'm surprised you think the Speed doesn't help that much. Why would I give up basically no benefits from increasing the bulk to then lose to Mew, Celebi, Zapdos, Flygon, Heracross, Nidoking, and many more?
WillSO said:
Similarly, I'd switch out Head Smash on Donphan for either Assurance (to nail -Ghost type switch in's with 100% accuracy) or Ice Shard which gives you added security versus Flygon and also gives you some priority which the entire team lacks. By making this switch, it allows you to run Hidden Power [Grass] on Zapdos to provide better coverage and nails Gastrodon (if it stays down...).
Yea I was thinking about it, as I mentioned above.

WillSO said:
DD Feraligatr as previously mentioned may be problematic if allowed to set up, but against this team it doesn't actually have a massively easy job.
The only thing it gets a free switch into and sets up on is Medicham's Ice Punch (everything else will hit it hard or Taunt in Froslass' case).
Also Medicham is faster and revenge kills it.
WillSO said:
Calm Mind Suicune could pose a threat should Snorlax go down, so I'd argue changing Ice Punch to ThunderPunch from your Medicham which enables you to hit it on it's non-boosted side. You also have the added benefit of hitting those -Water types you were weak to previously very hard.
That switch doesn't make much sense to me, the only Water-type that ThunderPunch hits harder then Hi Jump Kick is Slowbro...who isn't taking that much from it at all. Hi Jump Kick hits 195 base power with STAB, and Thunder Punch is 75, so 150 when super effective. 195 > 150. Losing Ice Punch is not a great idea either, since it lets me hit Celebi.

The Froslass set you listed is the Gen 4 UU one that I used. It's not made for this metagame.....it has a lot of unneeded EVs in a whole lot of places.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)