Fire Emblem [Discord Channel in OP]

When/how did you get into Fire Emblem?
Got into the series back in 2015. I constantly heard Fire Emblem Awakening was the best 3ds game, so I decided to check FE7 out since it was cheaper and I heard it was easier to get into. I fell in love with the game. Really loved the way it did world-building and how the story was comprised of multiple small arcs, as well as how more insignificant characters like Kent, Sain, Mathew, and Serra got plot relevant dialogue. I was surprised that Lyn's mode was so hated at the time because I thought it was a fantastic. It pulled me in with its solid self-contained story (even if some moments felt a bit too fairytale-like) and taught me the gameplay basics pretty well. After this, I played Awakening on Casual Mode, which kind of left a sour taste in my mouth since it was kinda boring. I'm planning on replaying it again though to give it a more fair shot.
Favourite Fire Emblem game?
Hot takes?
Any cool Heroes units you've built?
Any interesting stories?
Gameplay-wise, my favorites are Shadow Dragon and Fates. Story-wise, I liked Three Houses and Shadows of Valentia the most.
Hot takes?
Growth characters can be awesome depending on the game. Delthea, for example, is pretty fun to use since her bases are actually extremely good for her join level and her growths are explosive. Since her join level is low, she can accumulate a ton of level-ups pretty quickly.
Any cool Heroes units you've built?
I did build a pretty cool Fallen Delthea in Heroes. Will edit the build in later.
Any interesting stories?
There was one moment in one of the Valla Chapters in Revelations, where I had moved half my units before realizing that my hinoka was in a really tough spot. IIRC she was in the range of 3 of the Flying Units and would have been killed that turn, so I had to think of several possible strategies I could use before she was killed. My Camilla was on the other side of the map, but via some pair-up transfer shenanigans and trading a Raider Naginata to her, I was able to have Camilla pair-up with Hinoka, and thanks to the raider Naginata, she was able to double 2 of the enemies on enemy phase and fill up the pair-up to avoid an otherwise fatal blow.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  • When/how did you get into Fire Emblem?​
  • Favourite Fire Emblem game?​
  • Hot takes?​
  • Any cool Heroes units you've built?​
  • Any interesting stories?​
  • my brother always bugged me to play awakening when it was new and i didn't listen. after robin was revealed for Smash a lot of the internet's followup discussion of the game intrigued me (i'm a huge shipping nerd from spending too many of my highschool years on tumblr) and i decided to go for it, and it ended up as my second favorite video game of all time after Explorers of Sky, and its main character (two main protagonists since Ultimate) have somehow overtaken my beloved Kirby series as my permanent Smash mains and gotten me heavily involved in a lot of communities that i would have otherwise never found.
  • awakening by far. it's not the only game in the series i like but no others have really been able to live up to the standard it set for me. i could write for way too long about how brilliantly written chrom and robin are as protagonists (so i'm saving myself the trouble by linking posts from others) with rock solid character development as well as gangrel and walhart as villains, and while i think the ball was dropped pretty hard on lucina and validar/grima the story keeps the focus away from them enough that it doesn't really detract much from the experience. i also think the gameplay's pretty underrated with lunatic mode being an extremely engaging experience that's much more balanced than people seem to expect, and the paralogue chapters do a great job with map objective variety despite always seeming to get overlooked. the second generation are also just an incredible group of characters, something about seeing their personalities so heavily driven by coping mechanisms for growing up in an apocalypse that manifest themselves in such a huge variety of ways just makes them so tragically charming.
  • i swear i tried to hold back and exhibit some kind of self-control
    • edelgard and dimitri are pretty bad protagonists that sacrifice any semblance of character development or a satisfying standalone story arc in favor of the gimmick of seeing a morally grey war play out from multiple different sides. i respect the writers for taking the risks and trying something new but it was still horribly flawed.
    • i think that the blazing blade trio are some of the weakest and least interesting lords in the series while the sacred stones twins are two of my favorites, and i think that this GBA group serves as proof that, regardless of what character trends or archetypes are followed, a huge part of what makes a protagonist worthwhile is having a strong villain to serve as an interesting foil (it's not controversial to say that lyon is what makes their story work)
    • lucina should never have gotten into smash over one of the game's two actual main protagonists, she'd be fine as an alternate skin for chrom (and more faithfully represented too) but her marth clone spot should be taken by someone from an unrepresented game like leif or eirika in order to spread more diversity
    • all of fates gen 2 doesn't deserve the right to exist and i refuse to even recognize or acknowledge them as characters, my cartridge has and will always have them permanently unrecruited and even when randomly pulling broken ones in Heroes i will make a point of foddering them off without earning a single point of hero merit or their confessions
    • i could probably rant forever about whatever dumb shit crosses my mind at any given moment, also i adore marth he's such a good dude
  • i cheese dumb maps with bad teams of four blue units because this game is a joke anyway and it's a literally perfect family dynamic. i've also got a chrom that can tank ophelia.
  • someone in my college town was once selling physical copies of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn for only a hundred bucks total and i snatched them up as quickly as i could. i squander too much of my free time on smash and other multiplayer/competitive things but one day i hope to finish them, i absolutely adore the cast (ike and soren especially) and would love to finish experiencing the story first-hand even if i've already spoiled myself on basically all of it.
sorry for all my self-indulgence i just care way too much about way too many things

Last edited:
cool thread, as someone who just got into this franchise very recently, I wanted to share my thoughts on this fantastic series. For reference, I've finished three houses, fates birthright, conquest and awakening. Currently playing revelation and path of radiance but i've also tried SoV up to part 3.
  • Hot takes?​
This is an interesting question. Despite my earlier mentioning about just getting into FE recently, I've actually had my fair share of experience with the series in the past few years. Heck, I completed FE 16 crimson flower route last year and thought it was only a 'good nintendo game'. Back then, I wasn't really interested in the mechanics or characters, I was just messing around playing on casual mode, recruiting and pairing up characters, spamming armored knights and completely skipping the monastery part. I was so uninterested in the core gameplay of FE that the random character endings unlike fates and awakening, caught me completely off-guard. In fact, it was enough to make me completely ditch the other routes for a while (curse you linhardt for cheating on lysithea and marrying dorothea).

Fast forward to October and I somehow started playing the blue lions route after getting my hands on the DLC. I thought that as long as I A support only the characters I wanted to pair up, I'll be able to get good character endings. Funnily enough, this was actually my real entry to the fire emblem series. Upon playing the game for the second time, I started to understand random level ups, attack speed, forging, enemy AIs, which classes / characters are good and which are bad. This gradually made me gain interest in the game but what really hooked me was the teambuilding part. Even when playing pokemon games, I've always liked the teambuilding part the best. I like to be picky and carefully consider types, abilities, items, stats and even random stuff like what generation they are in. For example, I will never pick Garchomp and Gastrodon in the same team because they're both ground types. They might have different roles, availability, movepool and weaknesses but it doesn't matter to the perfectionist inside me. So, the fire emblem complexity and building part just appealed to me in all aspects, enough to make me finish all three routes back to back in the span of like two weeks. Even after finishing three houses, I couldn't get enough and this is my story of getting into Fire Emblem.

• Hot takes?
I don't like a single Fire Emblem story, I just don't feel that the game's structure allows for compelling stories to be told. One of the best examples is with Jeralt's death in FE 3H. Three lines every chapter is just not enough for me to be able to sympathize and relate to the characters' emotions. This is done especially worse when the game randomly inserts a sad theme the next chapter. It felt incredibly forced and stiff to me. Permadeath is another reason why the stories are bland to me; it practically forces the developers to only be able to fully develop the lords.

Though I must admit I absolutely love the atmosphere and character building of three houses. With good personality foundations, voice acting, monastery explorations, support conversations and permadeath, it made me attached to basically all characters bar leonie. This is perhaps also why I found blue lions the best written route in all games, i just grew to love Dimitri so much that his temporary fall in grace made me actually interested in how they will handle his characterization. Unfortunately, I was left disappointed but this is a discussion for another time.

For the gamplay part, I think that in three houses, the wyvern lords are incredibly busted . 8 movement, canto, terrain immunity, synergy with brigand's death blow, alert stance, base stats....Like they're so better than the other classes (bar bow knight and falcon knight ofc) that for about 7 in 10 characters, wyvern lord is the way to go. They don't even have a real weakness because arrows can be neutralized by canto, dismounting, alert stance+ or just raw physical bulk. It made me feel like I have to go out of my way to use other classes and this should definitely be addressed for FE 17. (can't wait for it)

While I love permadeath, I think that in the older games, the lack of time traveling means it's very tedious to restart entire chapters. (Yes, I'm the type who can't let anybody die) This combined with my impulsive nature and my disgust for bad level ups mean I have trouble playing these games on classic mode. So, I actually play older FEs with casual modes, instead making myself a rule to restart any time a unit dies. Since casual mode allows you to save in-battle, you can be bold with your decisions as long as you obey to your iron rule of restartting. I feel like this is something that other people should try if they're afraid of classic's punishing nature.

Now I'd like to conclude my post with thoughts on certain underrated three houses characters that I think are great.

I think that for lunatic runs, constance is easily superior to lysithea as a pure offensive mage. Bolting is just ridiculously stupid, allowing you to snipe enemies from unthinkable distances. You can either run gremory / warlock constance for 4 boltings that can be further replenished by her major crest (30% activation I think?) or dark flier constance who has insane motility and range. Like just combine it with thyrsus and you can hit practically half the map.

Now unlike most people think, you aren't sacrificing any magic potential for using constance. They have almost identical growths and base stats after all, with constance actually having an edge in verdant wind, coming with one magic point higher. On top of that, constance gains access to black tomefaire in her warlock and dark flier classes meaning she will actually be hitting harder than lysithea. The speed growth advantage is also moot because mages can't double in lunatic.

This is not saying constance is better than lys of course; lysithea gets the broken warp at fucking B rank faith. However, if you're looking for a fully offensive mage, then constance is the way to go.

Initially I ran dark knight annette on hard mode and she was mediocre as a unit. However, in my BL lunatic run, I used her as a wyvern lord and boy, was she incredible. Flight allowed her incredible flexibility, allowing you to rally units from far distances and canto back to safety. Lunatic players will know just how amazing rallying is and flight doubles on her supportive capabilities. She isn't a slouch offensively, packing bolt axe+ and crusher to delete most magically non-resistant units. If you haven't tried wyvern Annette yet, give her a chance, she's easily one of the best units in the game.

Another incredible unit, her strength growth makes her vulnerable to being strength screwed and this is definitely a valid fact. In fact, I'd say blue lion ingrid is definitely only above average tier. But in out of house, she gets incredible base stats. If you spend time as a wyvern rider for attack level ups and get death blow, then you're pretty much set for an incredibly potent flying unit for the rest of the game. High charm, resistance, avoid and speed means she's incredible at softening up and dodge tanking shit, as well as a viable mage sniper with retribution. I also found brave lance incredible on her due to high speed, allowing her to easily get x4 attacks and completely neutralize her iffy strength growth. Luin is also vastly undderated. For such a powerful weapon, it's light and has high hit+grants a powerful combat art, making ingrid one of the most reliable units in locking down dangerous enemies.

This is it for me looking forward to seeing you guys' opinions as well. I haven't checked out the discord yet, but I assume it's dead?

• Hot takes?​
I first got into Fire Emblem when I played Super Smash Bros Melee with a good friend. We played the game for 6+ hours, and in trying the different characters I found myself really enjoying Marth. Later I got the game for myself, and looked up his trophy information. "Fire Emblem. That sounds fun." I remember thinking. And I needed some games to buff my GBA library, so I went on Amazon and ordered The Sacred Stones. Off the top of my head, that was the last game I can remember buying without reading any reviews for. And yeah, since then it's been one of my favourite series.

Three Houses is my favourite game in the series. It basically does what Fates tried to do, but actually succeeds. I think the Gameplay is great, the characters are all well fleshed out and interesting, it has one of the most engaging stories in the franchise and the freedom to build your characters how you want really gives the game that "one more playthrough" vibe. Love it, one of the top 5 Switch games IMO.

By and large, most of the villains suck. They tend to either fall into the "mwahaha I'm evil! Burn everything!" or "I want power and I'll do anything to get it!" The only good ones in the series are Lyon, who is a really sympathetic character and Edelgard, who actually has understandable motives. Yeah...that's pretty much it.

Never played Heroes, have no intention of ever doing so.

One time I decided to do a hard playthrough of 3 Houses Blue Lion house (Maddening hadn't come out yet) while trying to make my units the worst classes possible. I made Dimitri my dancer. Byleth was a Fortress Knight. Sylvain was a Dark Bishop. I think Ingrid was a Gremory, can't quite remember, while Flayn and Anette were Falcon Knights. I got to the Final Chapter with no deaths. Then, the plucky little army that could...got slaughtered. I had no rewinds left (hadn't boosted the statues). It was down to Dimitri and Byleth. And somehow, Dimitri dodged every attack thrown at him, and I actually beat the chapter! So proud of my edge lord ballerina.

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
FE is one of my favorite franchises ever, at least top 3. I've played all the games pretty extensively except the first 5(and heroes/warriors i guess) because i couldn't get into how slow they are/old animation but I know games like Thracia get a lot of hype so i'll definitely do it at some point. My favorite way of playing for the past 3 years or so has been doing Iron Man runs although i haven't played in a bit.

I started playing it as a kid when me and my brother downloaded VBA and got all the gba games. I remember playing sacred stones and thinking it was amazing, i've probably beaten it like 50 times by now, although i haven't in a very long time because of how easy it is. I remember grinding the kid characters like ross and making them broken through the tower though, it was way too much fun.

My favorite is probably between 10/Radiant Dawn and 12/New Mystery. 6 and three houses are up there too. The most fun experience i've had with FE was completing an iron man on Radiant Dawn hard, in fact i reccomend everyone who likes fe to do it themselves too. There's a lot of tricks you start learning the more you lose and every run is super interesting because of how different your team can be(i remember having a super broken nolan bc of good level ups). I remember changing thoughts on risking stuff for bonus exp a lot too. When i finally mapped out how to do most of the chapters I lost in the final battle because ashera ohko'd micaiah with some bullshit and i had to redo my whole run, but then I managed to beat it without losing a single unit, which was awesome. I guess i kinda just love new mystery because it doesn't get a lot of talk but the more I played it the more i really started thinking it was the most replayable FE game, especially because you can keep trying to do a harder difficulty that has it's own unique things too.

I guess the hot take is new mystery being one of the better games.

haven't played heroes

As for stories I was doing a maniac mode PoR run where I had to get the max BEXP every chapter, and I had to redo chapter 10 a billion times. I tried looking up youtube vids and stuff on how to do it and couldn't find anything, so I literally went out my way to make the vid myself in case for some reason someone out there actually is stupid enough to go through the same struggle.

also i was gonna shoutout mekkah but he already appeared here. Best FE youtuber though if someone in this thread hasn't watched.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Fire Emblem is my new favorite Nintendo IP, so I'll throw in my two cents.

I discovered Fire Emblem through Smash Bros... for 3DS. oddly enough, never in my time playing Brawl did I look at Marth/Ike and wonder "huh, where do those two come from?". Smash 3DS introduced Lucina and Robin and, for some reason, I decided to check out this "Fire Emblem" thingy.

And then I discovered I really, really liked TRPGs and trying to optimize builds (I still kinda suck at it but shhhh).

After dong two runs of Awakening I played Conquest on a totally legit 3DS™, I bought Birthright then Revelations. Was good, but not as good as Awakening. The story and (main) characters felt a bit bland and one-dimensional (Camilla in particular is... yeah.), even in the promised Golden Route that was Revelations. Corrin themselves are rather poor self-inserts. I did have a lot of fun optimizing child units though.

Then Three Houses came around and I had a blast. After 200+ hours sunk into the game I can finally get my bragging rights of having done every route on Hard (I'm not brave enough for Maddening). While the game can get really repetitive at times, the build liberty is a refreshing element. I wish they did more with battalions though, the E3 demo showed some sort of formation mechanic, which could have been a boon to an otherwise lackluster (in terms of immersion) gameplay element.

I also played the Warriors games and it wasn't as fun as I expected it to be. Might have been my expectations though;

Hot takes?
- Adult Linhardt's half-closed eyes sprite is lowkey terrifying
- Marrying Robin to Tiki is objectively the best choice so that Morgan can have both Naga's and Grima's bloodlines and become the living embodiment of balance
- I may have been lucky with level ups here, but General Ignatius w/ Hexlock Shield is the sturdiest wall I've ever seen. Even better than Dedue.
- Olivia is Awakening's best 1st gen girl by a mile (Nah for 2nd gen), and Marianne is 3H's best girl by a good margin (may not be that hot of a take). I don't remember much of Fates' cast.

Any interesting stories?
The first time I played Awakening, I very quickly reached S-Support with Maribelle. Nice CG and all, younger TMan was quite happy.
Cue reality slapping me across the face: "wait, what do you mean marriage is permanent?!"
On my second run I used a bit of savescumming and managed to get every female S-Support CG (to this day I only remember Kjelle's), thus creating Harem King Robin, something I haven't been able to reproduce in later games.

Hey all, I got into FE when Three Houses was released and let me just say, I am in love with that game. I’m currently on my 23rd play through and I’ve done all of the routes. My favorite route is tied between BE and BL. I like both for different reasons. I do admit, I may be too much of a Dorothea and Mercedes fan girl but hey, we all simp :p. Although no one believes me, I called Byleth before she was released in Smash. I was in school when this happened and I uh, might’ve popped off too much in study hall :’)

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
FE9 and FE10 were amazing, though I have never been a fan of any of the others I’ve tried. The older ones just had weird interfaces / maps and the newer ones introduce a lot of mechanics that I’ve never been a fan of (units doubling up, breeding new units, etc.).

I do wish that they were easier to get on a computer though - I know there are emulator options like Dolphin but I’ve always found those rather clunky.

Also I will point out that Mekkah streams FE fairly frequently on YouTube and has made a bunch of tier list videos etc. that I’d recommend to fans of the series. Though I will never understand his irrational hatred of Ike in FE9 xD

Fire Emblem is probably my favorite franchise right now, so here’s my thoughts and experiences:

Favorite game is Three Houses, then Fates, then Awakening, and then Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. My first FE was Fates, and it was Corrin’s inclusion in Smash as well as watching PM1’s Let’s play of Fates that got me interested in the series.

Hot Takes: Fates get way too much dislike for its story despite being really fun to play. Echoes gets praise for being vastly superior just because it’s story it’s better despite having significantly worse gameplay. Speaking of Echoes, Celica is the worst lord in the entire series even being below Corrin. You could remove Celica from Echoes and Alm could have his story. Alm deserved Clair over Celica. Speaking of Corrin, the male is better than female.

I actually wrote an essay that is 31 pages long for a class called “ The Problem of Evil “discussing whether or not Edelgard or Dimitri is correct or is the “ end results justifies the means” or is choosing a peaceful way the better solution. If anyone is interested in reading it let me know. BTW, the Blue Lions are the best house.

Just got back into Heroes, it’s fine. I find it generous Gacha game compared to Pokémon Masters, I’ve gotten several 5 star units and they have a lot of free events that give several 5 star units for free. At the very least, there’s no distinction between “paid” and “free”orbs there are in Masters.

I’m considering picking up Shadow Dragon, but I’m concerned about the difficulty and the lack of combat forecast. Especially the latter, since it sounds painful doing manual calculations.

FE is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises and was what really got me into the TRPG genre.

- I was a Marth main in Melee (Ken fanboy), then an Ike main in Brawl. Seeing these 'cool sword guys' made me curious about the series, but ultimately I never picked it up (never found it in stores down here in AUS). That is, until I finally got my hands on Awakening. Oh boy did I play a lot of that game. This was a turning point where I found out that I adore TRPGs. I then went back and played the GBA titles, Fates: Conquest, PoR and RD, 3H and finally Genealogy and Thracia. Still need to play Fates: Birthright and Revelations, and Echoes. Very keen to play Echoes. From there, I also joined Critposting (which I unfortunately don't visit much anymore), which just made that love for the series grow even more.

- I bounce around with this all the time. I love a lot of the games for different reasons. Ultimately, it has to be PoR, with a slight edge over RD, Thracia, and Sacred Stones. PoR is a near perfect FE game for my money, and still ticks every box for me to this day.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I played Marth in Brawl and Marth+Lucina in Smash 4, and having enjoyed the beginning of Sacred Stones on the 3DS Ambassador Program I decided to try out Awakening. I enjoyed it a lot and ended up playing 3 Houses as well. I still haven’t gotten around to finishing Sacred Stones (though I like it so far and have played enough to know how game-breaking Seth is) and I started but never finished Fates. Wanna play more older FE games (namely the Radiant games and Echoes) but the sticking point is mostly just motivating myself to play a game that isn’t multiplayer LOL
I haven’t really played enough to have a solid opinion on this yet but I marginally prefer 3H to Awakening. They’re both very solid games though and 3H mostly edges it out because I prefer the magic system, like how flexible classing is, like that archers aren’t a liability, and think the side units are largely better written than Awakening’s are.

I have a story-specific question for those who bought the 3H DLC:

how much are the new characters/house tied with Argatha? I keep thinking that Edgelgard's route is unsatisfying because we don't get to do anything with the nation that has been screwed over by the current establishment the most, and it just comes off as a flimsy excuse for a power grab. As much as I'd like a full "liberation heir" path with a reformed Argatha, I'd settle for anything other then them being pure antagonists. Does the DLC provide what I'm looking for?

Tranquility

Kuru~Kuru
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

how much are the new characters/house tied with Argatha? I keep thinking that Edgelgard's route is unsatisfying because we don't get to do anything with the nation that has been screwed over by the current establishment the most, and it just comes off as a flimsy excuse for a power grab. As much as I'd like a full "liberation heir" path with a reformed Argatha, I'd settle for anything other then them being pure antagonists. Does the DLC provide what I'm looking for?
It’s been a minute since I’ve played the 3 Houses dlc (it’s not that good imo) but I’ll try to give an explanation based off what I remember.

The DLC doesn’t really focus on Agatha much if at all, but rather the new House in the Ashen Wolves. The only mentions of the Argathans is with one of the AW students who was captured and had tests on her done by Cornelia. This along with a paralogue for two other dlc characters that involve TWSITD are the only two instances where that group is brought up. There is however, a shadow library that can be unlocked in a regular game file in the abyss after beating the AW DLC, and I believe it can have more insight into some of the experiments they did (Personally I’ve never read it xd).

The DLC’s selling point for 3H is the new characters, and if you’re looking for more of the Agartha info, while there might be clues here and there, it’s not going to be worth it only on that.

Not really. The closest tie is that there's another character experimented on by Agartha.

Technically I first saw Fire Emblem gameplay on YouTube, either from whoisthisgit's video about Mewtwo with Luna as an example of nerfing, or CrappyCaptureDevice's video on the origin of Marth's moves. Otherwise I actually started thinking about the game probably because of Smash 4 and/or seeing people playing randomized GBA games in a chat room, though I never pursued that at the time. At some point around then I started to read up about the games, got into the weapons, followed the community, and tried out FE7.
Out of the games I've played, I like FE8 the most because of its replayability. It's short but simple to pick up and play. There are also interesting mods like the self-randomizer as well.

Not really, character related, but the texts of the Shadow Library provide some interesting history on them, like suggesting they were involved with the creation of Faerghus.

my first experience with FE was back when i was around 14 - 16ish, playing fe7 on an emulator on my phone (embarrassingly enough). I was one of those that was super confused at realising eliwood wasn't roy, yea. not a fucking clue what I was doing, I bumbled my way through normal mode. I remember doing all the first time casual things like look up every single character to see what others (read: also noobs) thought of how good they were and not using marcus cos he gets 3 xp per battle. didn't think too much of it once I was done, I quickly moved back to pokemon not even realising there were 2 other GBA titles I could play. fast forward to 2014 (i think) and robin gets into smash 4. the resulting discussion got me into getting awakening, then going back and beating 6, 7, 8, 4... yada yada and here we are today.

of all the games in the series besides heroes ive played fe3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, conquest lunatic, 1/2 of birthright (not sure why), echoes and 15 hours or so of 3h on an emulator (still want to beat it eventually but the constant crashes are quite annoying)

1 year ago id have answered fe5 like the real, cool guy elitist I absolutely am but now its probably echoes. we'll not talk about some of the maps but its just so not like any other fe game but in a good way. new shaken up mechanics with the villagers and the forging and the weapon skills, super sick presentation and a sorta not bad story. thats one that i'll definitely be replaying many times.

i dont have any hot takes or heroes sets or whatever but id just like to recommend everybody who hasnt already played fe4/5 to consider doing so, if only for the experience. i remember first mulling over playing those and i was so offput by how old and weird and different they are. fe4's castle mechanics in particular frightened me. but then once you play it you'll find its not all that bad. also, the story is quite great too (as great as a fire emblem story can be anyway). just make sure to not play 5 before 4. with project exile complete both games now have a high quality translation so there's never been a better time to try the games. give it a shot! i can give you some pointers in this thread if youd like

e: ok heres my hot take. radiant dawn? garbage game. I'll play the NES games before ill ever replay radiant dawn

Last edited:
Fire Emblem is probably my favorite franchise right now, so here’s my thoughts and experiences:

Favorite game is Three Houses, then Fates, then Awakening, and then Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. My first FE was Fates, and it was Corrin’s inclusion in Smash as well as watching PM1’s Let’s play of Fates that got me interested in the series.

Hot Takes: Fates get way too much dislike for its story despite being really fun to play. Echoes gets praise for being vastly superior just because it’s story it’s better despite having significantly worse gameplay. Speaking of Echoes, Celica is the worst lord in the entire series even being below Corrin. You could remove Celica from Echoes and Alm could have his story. Alm deserved Clair over Celica. Speaking of Corrin, the male is better than female.

I actually wrote an essay that is 31 pages long for a class called “ The Problem of Evil “discussing whether or not Edelgard or Dimitri is correct or is the “ end results justifies the means” or is choosing a peaceful way the better solution. If anyone is interested in reading it let me know. BTW, the Blue Lions are the best house.

Just got back into Heroes, it’s fine. I find it generous Gacha game compared to Pokémon Masters, I’ve gotten several 5 star units and they have a lot of free events that give several 5 star units for free. At the very least, there’s no distinction between “paid” and “free”orbs there are in Masters.

I’m considering picking up Shadow Dragon, but I’m concerned about the difficulty and the lack of combat forecast. Especially the latter, since it sounds painful doing manual calculations.
I've played Shadow Dragon, it didn't do a lot for me personally. I found it incredibly simplistic, Marth is broken, the story was bland and the characters were more or less interchangeable. Thanks for giving Fates credit, I completely agree that game gets way too much hate because of its story when gameplay wise it's one of the strongest titles.

Because I'm clearly insane, I'm doing a run of Three Houses on Maddening Mode for all 4 story paths. Here is my plan for the units so far:

Byleth (F). Final Class: Enlightened One. Skills: Vantage, White Magic Avoid +20, Sword Prowess 5, Reason Prowess 5, Authority Level 5
Claude. Final Class: Barbarossa. Skills: Death Blow, Bow Prowess 5, Authority 5, Alert Stance+, Bow Crit +10
Lysithea. Final Class: Gremory. Skills: Fiendish Blow, Reason Prowess 5, Faith Prowess 5, Dark Magic Range +1, Dark Tomefaire / White Magic Range +1
Raphael. Final Class: Warmaster. Skills: Death Blow, Brawling Prowess 5, Axe Prowess 5, Tomebreaker, Quick Riposte
Ignatz. Final Class: Assassin. Skills: Poison Strike, Seal Strength, Sword Prowess 5, Bow Prowess 5, Lethality
Hilda. Final Class: Wyvern Lord. Skills: Death Blow, Axe Prowess 5, Alert Stance+, Seal Defence, Axe Crit +10
Marianne. Final Class: Dancer. Skills: Sword Avoid +20, Sword Prowess 5, Special Dance, Renewal, Movement +1
Lorenz: Bench, replace with Flayn
Leonie. Final Class: Bow Knight. Skills: Death Blow, Bow Prowess 5, Bow Crit +10, Swordbreaker, Lance Prowess 4
Yuri. Final Class: Trickster. Skills: Sword Prowess 5, Faith Prowess 5, Steal, Authority 5, Axebreaker
Seteth. Final Class: Wyvern Lord. Skills: Axe Prowess 5, Lance Prowess 5, Alert Stance +, Authority 5, Swordbreaker
Flayn. Final Class: Bishop. Skills: Reason Prowess 5, Faith Prowess 5, Transmute, Fiendish Blow, Seal Magic

Byleth (F). Final Class: Flacon Knight. Skills: Darting Blow, Swordbreaker, Lance Prowess 5, Sword Prowess 5, Alert Stance+
Ferdinand. Final Class: Paladin. Skills: Death Blow, Lance Prowess 5, Swordbreaker, Lance Crit +10, Aegis
Caspar. Final Class: Warmaster. Skills: Death Blow, Axe Prowess 5, Brawl Prowess 5, Tomebreaker, Quick Riposte
Linhardt. Bench replace with Constance
Bernadetta. Final Class: Bow Knight. Skills: Lance Prowess 5, Bow Prowess 5, Pass, Hit +20, Movement +1
Petra. Final Class: Swordmaster. Skills: Sword Prowess 5, Axebreaker, Sword Crit +10, Lethality, Alert Stance+
Dorothea. Final Class: Dancer. Skills: Sword Avoid +20, Reason Prowess 5, Faith Prowess 3, Fiendish Blow, Special Dance
Caspar. Final Class: War Master. Skills: Axe Prowess 5, Brawl Prowess 5, Death Blow, Tomebreaker, Quick Riposte
Constance. Final Class: Gremory. Skills: Fiendish Blow, Faith Prowess 5, Reason Prowess 5, Black Magic Range +1, Uncanny Blow
Balthus. Final Class: Hero. Skills: Death Blow, Sword Prowess 5, Axe Prowess 5, Wrath, Defiant Strength
Yuri. Final Class: Trickster. Skills: Poison Strike, Sword Prowess 5, Axebreaker, Faith Prowess 5, Duellist's Blow
Seteth. Final Class: Wyvern Lord. Skills: Axe Prowess 5, Lance Prowess 5, Alert Stance +, Authority 5, Swordbreaker

Byleth (M). Final Class: War Master. Skills: Death Blow, Brawl Prowess 5, Axe Prowess 5, Brawl Avoid +20, Authority Level 5
Dimitri. Final Class: High Lord. Skills: Battalion Wrath, Battalion Vantage, Lance Prowess 5, Swordbreaker, Aegis
Felix. Final Class: Swordmaster. Skills: Sword Prowess 5, Sword Crit+10, Vantage, Lethality, Swordfaire
Ashe. Bench, replace with Cyril
Dedue. Bench, replace with Gilbert
Sylvain. Final Class: Paladin. Skills: Death Blow, Lance Prowess 5, Swordbreaker, Aegis, Movement +1
Mercedes. Final Class: Gremory. Skills: Magic +2, Faith Prowess 5, Reason Prowess 5, Renewal, White Magic Range +1
Ingrid. Final Class: Falcon Knight. Skills: Darting Blow, Lance Prowess 5, Swordbreaker, Transmute, Authority Level 5 / Alert Stance +
Annette. Final Class: Valkyrie. Skills: Fiendish Blow, Rally Speed, Rally Movement, Reason Prowess 5, Uncanny Blow
Yuri. Final Class: Dancer. Skills: Sword Prowess 5, Sword Avoid +20, Axebreaker, Speed +2, Special Dance
Hapi. Final Class: Gremory. Skills: Fiendish Blow, Faith Prowess 5, Reason Prowess 5, Bowbreaker, Black Magic Range +1
Cyril. Final Class: Assassin. Skills: Death Blow, Lance Prowess 5, Bow Prowess 5, Bow Crit +10, Lethality
Gilbert. Final Class: Great Knight. Skills: Pavise, Lance Prowess 5, Axe Prowess 5, Quick Riposte, Swordbreaker

Byleth (M). Final Class: Enlightened One. Skills: Sword Prowess 5, Brawl Prowess 5, Brawl Avoid +20, Authority Level 5, Sacred Power
Edelgard. Final Class: Dark Flier. Skills: Fiendish Blow, Reason Prowess 5, Dark Tomefaire, Axe Prowess 5, Authority Level 5
Hubert. Final Class: Dark Knight. Skills: Fiendish Blow, Lifetaker, Reason Prowess 5, Authority Level 5, Dark Magic Range +1
Ferdinand. Final Class: Dancer. Skills: Sword Avoid +20, Sword Prowess 5, Speed +2, Special Dance, Movement +1
Petra. Final Class: Swordmaster. Skills: Death Blow, Sword Prowess 5, Alert Stance +, Sword Crit +10, Swordfaire
Linhardt. Final Class: Bishop. Skills: Magic +1, Fiendish Blow, Miracle, Renewal, White Magic Range +1
Bernadetta. Final Class: Bow Knight. Skills: Hit +20, Lance Prowess 5, Bow Prowess 5, Pass, Movement +1
Caspar. Final Class: Warmaster. Skills: Death Blow, Axe Prowess 5, Brawl Prowess 5, Axe Crit +10, Quick Riposte
Dorothea. Final Class: Gremory. Skills: Fiendish Blow, Reason Prowess 5, Faith Prowess 5, Authority Level 5, Black Magic Range +1
Jeritza. Final Class: Wyvern Lord. Skills: Darting Blow, Counterattack, Lance Prowess 5, Axe Prowess 5, Alert Stance +
Felix. Final Class: Swordmaster. Skills: Sword Prowess 5, Sword Crit+10, Vantage, Lethality, Swordfaire
Lysithea. Final Class: Valkyire. Skills: Reason Prowess 5, Fiendish Blow, Dark Magic Range +1, Authority Level 5, Uncanny Blow

Last edited:
Interesting thread we have here.
I do not have a personal favorite Fire Emblem entry but I am pretty fond of the GBA entries from 6 to 8. If I were to rank these games in terms of difficulty, I'll say Sacred Stones is the most beginner friendly followed by Blazing Sword being on an intermediate level and Binding Blade being the most challenging out of them all. More on Binding Blade by personal experience, the game itself is pretty unforgiving for a first playthrough and there are many difficulty jumps alongside numerous Killer weapons that can most likely take down a unit if luck isn't on your side. Not forgetting the bosses that sit on thrones with high evasion and high stats as well.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Chrom is one of my favorite characters and I'd really appreciate anyone willing to give this a read to understand why I think he's really well-written with a fantastic character arc. I put a lot of work into this and it would really mean a lot, CYL's been a pretty stressful time on social media.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good evening.

I'm trying to get Wuzzy to stop asking me about Berserker Rajat.

Anyway I have re-enabled the Discord link and placed it in the OP. We have not started another draft yet, but we're open to suggestions and looking for new users! I have placed it in the OP as well as below.

https://discord.gg/2jgyGuN

Just please don't trash talk Cecilia or I'll be very angry.

I'm planning to stream more FE6 Lyn Mode next week, but also feel free to check out other YouTube channels like Mekkah for more FE content.

We talk and play all the FEs, so feel free to come in and spice things up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)