SS OU First ever G8 OU team

I've played a few games with a team of my friend's, decided it was time to make my own. Critique is always welcome

Dracovish @ Choice scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Evs: 252 Atk/4 SpA/252 Spe
Naive nature
- Fishious Rend
- Earth Power
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Pulse

We already know Dracovish is good, almost was required to include him. Good physical sweeper, scarf to ensure that rend gets the boosted attack. Water absorb to prevent scald burns and to tank water attacks from Seismitoad. Ice fang to deal with pesky ground and rock types, Dragon pulse as a good STAB move. No clue why earth power is on there, why not I guess.

Toxapex @ Black sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Evs: 252 Hp/252 Def/4 SpD
Calm nature
- Baneful Bunker
- Toxic Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Wave

My main choice for a lead. Standard stuff with Baneful bunker and Toxic spikes, Sludge wave is decent STAB. I decided to add Hydro pump as not many people expect it on a wall, leads people to switch in Rotom heat or Cinderace on him.

Mew @ Assault Vest
Ability: Synchronize
Evs: 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
Lonely nature
- Flamethrower
- Hydro pump
- Psychic
- Volt switch

Okay so I really love Hydro pump..... Anyway, mew is here to deal with annoying walls like Toxapex and Ferrothorn. Flamethrower 4x effective on Ferrothorn helps a lot. Aside from that, we have psychic for STAB and volt switch for pivots, pretty fast special sweeper.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Evs: 8 Hp/250 Def/252 SpD
Relaxed nature
- Spikes
- Leech seed
- Power whip
- Gyro ball

Another wall, this time pretty mixed. Can also be used as a lead, but I typically bring him in after a defogger. Dies to fire so keep him away from that. Tanks physical like a boss as well.

Kommo-O @ Assault vest
Ability: Bulletproof
Naive nature
- Dragon pulse
- Close combat
- Drain punch
- Dragon claw

I chose Kommo-O to deal with one mon: Hydreigon. I've seen him way too much around the meta and personally, I'm not a fan. Bulletproof on Kommo-O tanks shadow ball easily due to bulletproof, and has STAB fighting AND dragon to take down Hydreigon without a second thought. Other than that, he can be a decent mixed attacker, though definitely focusing on the physical side of things. He can also take down other physical attackers like Bisharp, and honestly I love having him on the team.

Last but not least

Excadrill @ Focus sash
Ability: Mold breaker
Evs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Rapid spin
- Earthquake
- Iron head
- Swords dance

Welp, here's my spinner. Gets rid of hazards and can stay alive for at least one turn if you want to set up a swords dance. Swords dance STAB boosted earthquake is nothing to scoff at and many a mon will quiver at the thought of a 150 base power earthquake. Iron head is also a very respectable 120 base power and destroys fairy types without a second thought. All in all, I feel this is a pretty good fit for the team.

So, what do you think? Its my first try at a decent g8 team and I really hope you all like it.

Last edited:
The entire structure of the team is pretty flawed, I think you should have tested this more, but I'll give some easy critiques and improvements you can make.

The Dracovish set borderline unviable, you should be using strong jaw, because Fishious Rend is boosted by it. "Ice fang to deal with pesky ground and rock types " Ground and rock types are not pesky, they are OHKOd by Fishious rend. Ice fang literally does not hit anything harder then outrage or Fishious rend, so its a waste of a slot. Earth power and dragon pulse are also horrible options, as you are invested physically, and they do not hit anything of note. Try using this

Dracovish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Outrage
- Psychic Fangs
- Low Kick

Toxapex usually should not be used as a lead, baneful bunker has little use, recover and haze are needed to wall pokemon, and scald is better then pump for its accuracy and burn chance

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Haze
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes

Mew has neither the typing or survivability for a spedef wall, nor the offensive presence to be a special sweeper. I would replace mew entirely with dragapult, who boasts better offensive options, sweeping capabilities, and momentum.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Mixed defensive pokemon are inefficient, I would use this set over your current ferrothorn, it has more survivability, and compliments your physical toxapex.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off

"I chose Kommo-O to deal with one mon: Hydreigon. I've seen him way too much around the meta and personally, I'm not a fan. Bulletproof on Kommo-O tanks shadow ball easily due to bulletproof, and has STAB fighting AND dragon to take down Hydreigon without a second thought."

I'm honestly baffled by this sentence, and it makes me think you have never used this team before. Kommo-o does not at all deal with hydreigon, because A, Hydregion does not even GET the move shadow ball, let alone use it, and you die to Hydregion's dragon moves.
Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Kommo-o: 346-408 (118.9 - 140.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO.

Kommo o finds more success with offensive sets, like these.

Kommo-o @ Throat Spray
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clanging Scales
- Clangorous Soul
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

Kommo-o @ Salac Berry
EVs: 12 HP / 240 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Outrage
- Substitute

The excadrill you're using is fine, just maybe consider using stealth rocks, because you have no rocker.

https://pokepast.es/15052547d9347d4c <corrections

Those were some corrections I had to the team, but even the final form of this not great, because it has not been tested. Building teams is great and fun, but when trying to play a viable one, feel free to lurk more and learn about the meta, there are also sample teams available in the smogon forums, in youtube videos, and other places. Good luck in the future.

Kommo-o @ Salac Berry
EVs: 12 HP / 240 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Outrage
- Substitute
Outrage isnt a good option on sub drum as ur left walled by every fairy. most ppl use eq to hit most fairies and aegislash as well. Also u want the kommo-o hp to be divisible by 4 - as it stands now your salac berry wouldnt activate after sub + bellydrum. Use 4hp evs or 20 or 36 etc etc

In any case even though these sets are at least reasonable now I don't think either iteration of this team is really that usable. DeZined u should check out some tournament replays (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spl-xi-replays.3658653) or just look at some mid ladder to high ladder game and you might be able to pick up on some common team building trends. If I were you i'd just copy a team off of an SPL replay or a high ladder game and use it for a while until you have a better grasp on the meta. You'll realize then why the sets you've posted here don't really make any sense and you might have more success building your own teams.

I've played a few games with a team of my friend's, decided it was time to make my own. Critique is always welcome

Dracovish @ Choice scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Naive nature
- Fishious Rend
- Earth Power
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Pulse

We already know Dracovish is good, almost was required to include him. Good physical sweeper, scarf to ensure that rend gets the boosted attack. Water absorb to prevent scald burns and to tank water attacks from Seismitoad. Ice fang to deal with pesky ground and rock types, Dragon pulse as a good STAB move. No clue why earth power is on there, why not I guess.

Toxapex @ Black sludge
Evs: 252 Hp/252 Def/4 SpD
Calm nature
- Baneful Bunker
- Toxic Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Wave

My main choice for a lead. Standard stuff with Baneful bunker and Toxic spikes, Sludge wave is decent STAB. I decided to add Hydro pump as not many people expect it on a wall, leads people to switch in Rotom heat or Cinderace on him.

Mew @ Assault Vest
Ability: Synchronize
Evs: 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
Lonely nature
- Flamethrower
- Hydro pump
- Psychic
- Volt switch

Okay so I really love Hydro pump..... Anyway, mew is here to deal with annoying walls like Toxapex and Ferrothorn. Flamethrower 4x effective on Ferrothorn helps a lot. Aside from that, we have psychic for STAB and volt switch for pivots, pretty fast special sweeper.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Evs: 8 Hp/250 Def/252 SpD
Relaxed nature
- Spikes
- Leech seed
- Power whip
- Gyro ball

Another wall, this time pretty mixed. Can also be used as a lead, but I typically bring him in after a defogger. Dies to fire so keep him away from that. Tanks physical like a boss as well.

Kommo-O @ Assault vest
Ability: Bulletproof
Naive nature
- Dragon pulse
- Close combat
- Drain punch
- Dragon claw

I chose Kommo-O to deal with one mon: Hydreigon. I've seen him way too much around the meta and personally, I'm not a fan. Bulletproof on Kommo-O tanks shadow ball easily due to bulletproof, and has STAB fighting AND dragon to take down Hydreigon without a second thought. Other than that, he can be a decent mixed attacker, though definitely focusing on the physical side of things. He can also take down other physical attackers like Bisharp, and honestly I love having him on the team.

Last but not least

Excadrill @ Focus sash
Ability: Mold breaker
Evs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Rapid spin
- Earthquake
- Iron head
- Swords dance

Welp, here's my spinner. Gets rid of hazards and can stay alive for at least one turn if you want to set up a swords dance. Swords dance STAB boosted earthquake is nothing to scoff at and many a mon will quiver at the thought of a 150 base power earthquake. Iron head is also a very respectable 120 base power and destroys fairy types without a second thought. All in all, I feel this is a pretty good fit for the team.

So, what do you think? Its my first try at a decent g8 team and I really hope you all like it.
Good day, mr/mrs DeZined!
As it stand, im afraid that GravelMouse and cleann are correct. Your team is not viable for Gen 8 OU as it is.
I mean no offence by this, bu ti looked you rname up on pokemon showdown to see your ranking and noticed you are not sitting too high on the ladder. That is ok though, we all started at that stage, so im going to give you some support here. If you head over to;
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battling-101-learning-resources.3568259/
you will find some resources and guides on Competitive Battling. That is a good place to start. After that i recommend you either pick up a Sample Team, which you can find a link for by opening the OU room on pokemon showdown. Alternatively, there are many great teams on the RMT forum, just take a look around at something you like, take a look at the raters' comments for pointers and fixes and how to use it and from there you are good to go test it out. :)
You can also look on the forums for some building guides to build oyu rown team. After this it's just a matter of playing and trying to improve.
A good help for teambuilding is also the Smogon Dex: containing hundreds of sets made by top players for Competitive Battling: https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/

This will improve your initial building skills and allow you to make a much more thought out and viable team! :)
If you at any point need a rate for a new team after you've done this, you are always welcome to post a new RMT with the team! :)

Lastly, if you really want a rate on this team and some pointers, i am more than happy to help you out with that, just send me a PM and i'll help point out problems and walk you through fixes for them, as well as some pointers on what to keep in mind when teambuilding! :)

And again; this is a reply to help you, not to critizise you. :)
I hope this helps! Have fun, and i hope to see more teams from you soon! :)

Last edited:
Agree with what everyone else has said thusfar.
Water Absorb Vish I've actually considered for other Vish (because Toad is bad) but in reality you lose way too much damage.
I've run into several people trying to attack with Pex outside Scald, it's usually setup fodder when it does.
If you want a defensive Kommo-o, try this set that's been making waves in SPL:
Kommo-o @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Earthquake
- Protect
Evs could be improved. Relaxed so that you underspeed Mandibuzz, setting Rocks after it Defogs. Soundproof is usually a must as you now wall most Sylveon rather than getting OHKOed by them. The only move that requires explanation is Protect, which is used to scout Choice-locked Dragons and so on.
Also if Drill is running Rapid Spin it should run Leftovers unless it's a suicide lead. Sash+Spin doesn't make sense as your sash is broken by switching into the hazards you're clearing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)