First pokemon game that you played?

My first pokemon game was sapphire when I was 7. I watched the movies and had some cards but was too young to have played rby or gsc. I would always look at the games at target while my mom shopped, I don't know if it had just come out or I never noticed it but one day I found myself overtaken by the shiny blue box and how cool kyogre was. I already liked pokemon and had a gameboy sp so it seemed like a no brainer to get.

I had only played platformers up until this point, games that don't give you any type of roaming ability. I remember almost giving up after beating roxanne and having no idea where to go for I don't know how long. The concept of backtracking to mr briney's cottage was inconceivable to me lol. After a friend from school explained to me where I needed to go I don't think I got stuck after that aside from maybe dark ass victory road. Lastly when I found out about the regi puzzle from a guide book that blew me away and after I checked just about everything to make sure there weren't any other secrets. I was so convinced I could go to space from mossdeep on a rocket ship to fight deoxys and jirachi :/ Fun times.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
1. Sapphire
2. At a flea market, sometime on a weekend in late 2010 (I think around November 6th or 7th?)
3. I quickly looked through all 3 starters to see which one I liked most, then decided I liked all 3 of them so I picked the first one I saw (Treecko). Treecko was Female and Timid nature (317 speed as a level 100 Sceptile), ended up with Dragon Claw, Leaf Blade, Return, and Strength. I remember Treecko evolving right after I beat Roxanne, then assuming it evolved every time after beating a Gym Leader. It did not take me long to figure out that. I don't remember the Gym Leaders or regular trainers being all that difficult, maybe aside from Wattson and Route 110 May? but I do remember struggling badly with the Elite Four as I was only using Sceptile for battling. Glacia and Steven frequently took 500,000 pokedollars out of my Trainer Card. I capped out to 999,999 a bunch and even saved sometimes before losing to them so I didn't permanently lose all that cash after losing. I was training daily against trainers in Routes 117 and 118, then anywhere else I could hoping to one day beat the Elite Four. I ended up beating them when my Sceptile was level 86. I forgot how many weeks it took, but it was definitely more than just a few. It could've even been months! You may ask what happened to the legendary mascot. Well, I didn't have a Master Ball (in Ruby/Sapphire it's hidden in the Team Aqua/Magma base and if you didn't get it before facing Matt/Courtney the ball was gone forever). I only had around 7 or so Poke Balls. I honestly tried saving right in front of the Kyogre, but apparently trying to do so triggered the battle and I failed to catch the legendary. My previous save was about two and a half hours beforehand and I didn't feel like having to go through all that again just to catch Kyogre. Little did I know how important Kyogre was. I was like "Eh, my level 53 Sceptile is better anyway" and figured I could just blow through the rest of the game with ease :mehowth:. After many losing attempts against the Elite Four, I finally beat them for once, then discovered through my elementary school classmates that Rayquaza was in the game. I begged them to tell me where it was at. I went straight to Rayquaza and got it as soon as I could after being given it's location. Rayquaza became my first legendary and second Pokemon I've trained up to level 100. I also caught some more Pokemon, like Clamperl and Numel, trying to figure out what they evolved into. I knew Clamperl evolved into something, but I didn't know what or when and assumed it was by level up. Because of this, I ended up with a level 72 Clamperl thinking I'd have to train it to level 100. I got the Numel to evolve though and it became my next highest afterwards at level 56. Next up, I decided to get Steven's Beldum from his house and train that up to a level 50 Metagross. After this point I kinda just chilled until my game's data accidentally got reset at around late March 2011. I did find Latias and tried hunting it out but I never managed to catch it in this run.

Few things to note:
1) I caught a Tropius at one point and used it as my initial Fly Pokemon. Figured it was really cool having a big strong fully evolved Pokemon like that in the games and it felt epic having one. I kept it in my party for a really long time.
2) One of the friends I had at the time had Pokemon Ruby and had a Skarmory in his party. I thought Skarmory was a legendary Pokemon because it seemed like one of those single-stage Pokemon with no prevolution/no evolution, but was seemingly rare. I didn't really care about Skarmory though so I never made an attempt to get one on this save.
3) Despite not being a furry, I had a crush on female Absol when I was 10... I forgot whether or not I ever caught one on this save though.

Bulbapedia: "Absol's humanized face and feline appearance may also be a homage to the sphinx."

Huh... that might explain it...

4) I thought Torkoal was the final evolution of the Slugma and Magcargo line and felt it was amazing having to encounter a final stage evo Pokemon in the wild.
5) I had a Hariyama because it was another big fully evolved Pokemon, but found in Victory Road at the high levels of 38, 40, and 42!

Pretty weird, intriguing experience overall. I was really upset when my game's save got reset but I accepted the loss and started a new journey, but with Blaziken.

These are all the big things I can remember experiencing on my first Pokemon game.

Last edited:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
1. Pokemon Sapphire (like everyone else above me huh)
2. Christmas 2003. I was 6 years old and in Grenada on holiday. Most kids get a dog as a divorce gift but I guess I got Pokemon lmao
3. I had been playing my babysitter's Pokemon Yellow before so I knew what Pokemon was and how it worked. I was hooked before I even played it. I remember I chose Torchic because I was so excited and just spamming the A button that I didn't even look at the other choices lol.
I remember getting stuck after beating Watson because I couldn't find the Rock Smash HM for ages, but that didn't stop me just grinding.
I remember beating Kyogre and pronouncing the name "Kee-o-grey" lmao.
May on Route 110 used to give me a lot of trouble lol.
First shiny I caught was Gloom, and then later Pelliper.
I think my first hall of fame team was something like Blaziken, Walrein, Aggron, Tropius, Dusclops, Raich, although I can't remember exactly. I think I had a Swellow and I think I used that Gloom as a Vileplume.
I completed the Hoenn Dex with my neighbour who had Ruby, and I remember the last mon we grinded for was Cradilly.
I remember playing loads with friends, battling, trading, mixing records and going to their Secret bases, etc. Great times.

Aqua Jet

Stardew
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
1. what was the first pokemon game you played?
Pokémon Black
2. how/when you got it
Saw it at the store and thought "Oh I like Pokémon"
3. your experience playing the game (if you can remember)
Got walled by Brycen since my only good Pokémon was Seismitoad

1. Blue
2. A geek family friend gave me it with a big gray gameboy in late 90s, that guy was a legend.
3. I started playing I was like 5 years, i started reading thx to this game, I barely understand half of the talk and most of the pokémon attack was non-sense in the beginning. That was my only video-game so i spammed it for 3 years, I remember my level 100 gyarados with thunder strength and hyperbeam :psysly: :psysly: :psysly: :psysly:

Last edited:

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i can't remember if it was red or blue — i suspect blue

i'd spent ages looking at routes on the overworld stitched together and was just in love with the world before i'd even played it

also it might interest you to know that there's a whole forum for threads like these — orange islands!

cong is for basically everything that isn't pokemon:

although you have to hover in this format to see it which can be confusing!!

1. Pokemon Red was the very first Pokemon game that I ever owned and played.

2. I received it for my birthday alongside an Atomic Purple GBC in 1999 when I was around 8 years old from my father who had been pretty big into the super Nintendo and the N64 consoles himself when they had released and I had played a lot of both consoles so he bought me the GBC as a result.

3. I can remember quite a bit about my experience first playing through Pokemon Red, I chose Squirtle as my very first starter. As a result it has always been my favorite Gen 1 starter and I never really got into the Charizard hype. Though I do remember very vividly how kids at school would talk about getting the holographic Charizard card and others would bring it to school to show it off and we would compare cards until it was eventually banned as a result of kids getting into fights over the cards and also cards being stolen or damaged. When I first played through Red, my father also owned a GBC and he had a copy of Pokemon Blue, so it became a bit of a competition between us to see who could beat the game first and who could get the strongest pokemon. I remember as a kid the game being a lot harder mostly as a result of being mostly clueless about various aspects of the games and how to find my way about to get to the right areas to progress the story. As a result I spent countless hours exploring many different areas of the games for much longer than most people likely would looking for certain pokemon in the grass that did not actually appear in that area. I remember looking long and hard for Charmanders, Squirtles and Bulbasaurs in the wild convinced that they had to be somewhere to catch in the game because I had seen them in the wild on the t.v show. I also remember how challenging it was to find and catch the three legendary birds, and how smart I thought I was when I figured out you could save the game before battling them to keep trying to catch them over and over again. I also remember finally discovering Mewtwo and how long it took me to finally catch it, having used the master ball long ago when I accidentally stumbled across Moltres in victory road. The game back then felt so mysterious and full of adventure, I remember I took my GBC with me everywhere I went, and would follow along my mother through stores GBC in my hands playing nonstop. The most devastating thing that happened to me back then was when I let another kid at school have a turn playing my GBC and my copy of Pokemon Red, only for him to start a new game and save it, erasing all my progress. I also remember having a friend in school that knew all these tricks you could do in the games, the missingno glitch, the unlimited items stuff and trying to pull them off myself and also trying to discover other ways to mess around with the game. I also remember how excited I was to discover that Pokemon Gold and Silver were coming out and how much I begged both of my parents for them and how happy I was when I finally got Pokemon SIlver, though not my first game I ever played, Pokemon Silver was definitely my favorite back then as the Johto region with the unown and the mysteries presented in that region fascinated me greatly and as a kid I tried to think up all kinds of random theories about the legendary dogs, the unown, the burnt tower and so many other things. Also how cool it was to be able to transfer pokemon from my Red to my Silver and having a link cable and hanging out in the neighborhood comparing pokemon with other kids, battling and trading, I had a lot of fun with the games back then. Regardless, here I am now in the modern day, still playing a game that I first experienced with Pokemon Red in 1999 not knowing that there would be two games called Diamond and Pearl in the future that would completely do away with link cables and open up the games to Wifi allowing you to play against people all over the world and that I would be sucked into it competitively for so many years. Anyhow sorry for the long rambling post, I'm starting to become a bit of a boomer after all.

I think it was Pokémon Blue in 2000, included in a diskette with the NO$GMB emulator and a fairly advanced savegame (I clearly still remember a Level 90 Blastoise in the save), but apart from that, I don't remember much.

I played Pokemon Black and White on the DS (my friend who was into mons got them for me) and it was my first time playing Pokemon "seriously". I really sucked at it and it took me at least a month to beat. Trying to get good at mons to try and be better than my past self ever was

My first game was Emerald which my sister handed down to me. Was a looong time ago, but iirc I just continued on from my sister's save file where she had chosen Mudkip. The first game I played through entirely by myself was Pearl, which I loved (Platinum will forever remain my favorite game though).

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Pokémon Emerald was my first game I ever played. It was so long ago that I had got it. I remember my mom and I went to a Walmart to purchase it. I played it continuously lol. Then sometime recently I finished the Battle Frontier. Just 6/7 screw your Noland.... :psycry:

1. Blue, I think. Might’ve been Red tho. But I’m fairly certain it was Blue.

2. Got it for my birthday.

3. I remember picking Squirtle because it’s the cute starter out of those three, and I think it’s one of two Pokémon games I have that I never beat. Don’t recall much outside of that though, last time I played Blue was decades ago.

1. my first game was red version of Pokemon
2. it was my childhood, it was gameboy and I play with my brother
3. it was something amazing, I ran from school every day to start playing as soon as possible

1. Pokemon Red
2. my grandma/pa took me and my brother to go get it either late spring/early summer (he got blue)
3. i remember starting it up and being so happy cus ive off hand played it prior but NEEDED IT FOR MYSELF as much as any super lil kid soul could need anything. idk why but i vividly remember catching weedle and feeling like "yeah... i love this." lol to this day those og copies of those carts havent burned out. even one being used for the missingno glitch, the other full 150 pokedex, if i found it it runs (last checked before my move last 2019 lol)

1. Leaf Green
2. I was like 5 when I got a Gameboy and the salesperson just told me pokemon was their most selling game and recommended it
3. I remember choosing Squirtle as my starter, can't remember much more but the game wasn't too challenging (think it might have been just cause I leveled my pokemon too much). I just played until beating the e4 (didn't really attempt to catch all the pokemon)

1) Red
2) I was 7 and my parents got me a lime green GBC and Red for my birthday. :)
3) Started with Squirtle, beat all 8 gym leaders but got stuck fighting Gary before victory road. Like, completely STUCK. I tried to beat him for weeks. Eventually my shady friend who hung out under the dragon slide taught me how to speak with the Missingno for the low low cost of my Articuno. Within an afternoon I accumulated 999,999 Pokemoney, a team of level 100s, and a few captured Missingnos. I recall having a level 100 Tentacruel with Bubblebeam, Hyper Beam, and Ice Beam.

Heartgold! I remember actually wanting a traditional pokemon game but the gamestop employee recommended some used pokemon dungeon game that someone had already fully completed so I IMMEDIATLEY traded that in for heartgold and loved it
I remember playing it essentially non stop, and although Johto has some of my least favorite pokemon, I was obsessed. I remember playing it outside in my yard during summer evenings when I was young and it just reminds me of a certain time in my life.
I grinded the HECK out of that game, especially since there is not a good place or strat to grind easy EXP, I had a dragonite before the Elite 4 (making it 10-15 levels higher than them) and ended the game with a lvl 85 Feraligator that legit got pokerus, and I miss him dearly :(
I think my team was like Dragonite, Snorlax, Feraligator, Espeon, Lapras, then sudowoodo/Ampharos/Gyarados/Hooh/Mewtwo

1. Pokemon Shield (I don't have any of the consoles that the other main series games are on)
2. My mom got it for me for Christmas (we had a Switch)
3. It was really enjoyable for me because prior to SwSh, I only played the TCG, Pokemon Go, and Pokken. I also watched the anime. It was practically what brought me to Smogon, when I was looking for competitive teams that I could copy get inspiration from. I plan to at least get Brilliant Diamond or Shining Pearl when they come out.

1. what was the first pokemon game you played?
- Pokemon Emerald
2. how/when you got it
- From a GBA Emulator in my PC, I downloaded it in 2018
3. you're experience playing the game
- My First ever experience in playing Pokemon, it was unforgettable.

Pokemon Sapphire was my very first Pokemon game back in 2004 if I remember correctly. I used to play it non-stop on my Game boy advance for hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)