SS OU First Pokemon Team in 15 Years

Hi guys,

Once upon a time, a spotty young teenager bought a copy of Pokemon Emerald and tried to make his own competitive time. 15 years later, that spotty teenager is now a 30-something man, but the call of Pokemon has brought him back. And so he's built this team, even though most of the meta developments have passed him by and really doesn't know what he's doing anymore.

:excadrill: Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

A good all-round Pokemon that has the versatility to perform a number of key roles; wall-breaker and late game sweeper with Rapid Spin for the speed boost and hazard clearing. Since Seismitoad is already packing Stealth Rock there's a bit more freedom with the moveset.

:cinderace: Cinderace @ Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Court Change
- Pyro Ball
- Sucker Punch
- U-Turn

Call me old-fashioned, but I like to have a starter Pokemon in my competitive teams wherever possible (I still have good memories of Sleep Powder Venusaur wrecking fools in RBY). Cinderace brings priority offence with Sucker Punch (although I'm open to changing that to Taunt or High Jump Kick), utility with Court Change and U-Turn to get out of dodge when pressured or when it's done its job.

:seismitoad: Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Immunity to two elements combined with the capability of laying down Rocks, Burns and Poisoning. Seismitoad has utility and bulk while checking or countering a number of popular Pokemon. Along with Clefairy it forms the defensive core of the team. I did look at Toxapex at first, but I think the big frog has a bit more to offer in this case.

:toxtricity: Toxtricity @ Choice Specs
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Overdrive
- Volt Switch
- Sludge Wave

I'm a sucker for unique typings and abilities, and it helps that Toxtricity seems be a top-class offensive Pokemon that can blender Fairy-types and a number of traditional checks to Electric types. Volt Switch because I love a quick escape and EVs are geared towards hitting hard and fast. I've been told that Toxtricity requires a bit of prediction and finesse to use properly, but I'm definitely willing to give it a shot.

:clefable: Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Thunder Wave over Stealth Rock because Seismitoad is handling the hazard side of things. Provides utility support with Wish and Protect and forms the second part of the defensive core along with Seismitoad. I wanted to see what all the fuss with Fairy types was about, and given every team seems to carrying either Clefable or Sylveon at the moment it looks like I'll get the chance to find out.

:corviknight: Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Defog
- Roost

This is the Pokemon I'm least sure about at the moment. I've gone with the Defog set for this team, but three hazard clears (Cinderace, Excadrill, Corviknight) might be a bit excessive. May go with the Bulk Up + Substitute set instead, although then the utility of U-Turn is lost. That being said, it does provide defence and utility in its current form.

Thanks for reading. Hopefully it's not too bad for a first attempt. :)

change :excadrill: Item ---> :Life Orb: ,:Leftovers: or :Focus Sash:

it makes little sense to play a scarf and sit up with it.

I recommend this:

:excadrill: Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

your :cinderace:, :toxtricity:, :corviknight:, :clefable: is good you can play like that.

Change :seismitoad: Ev's ---> 252 HP / 252 Def / 4SpD

it makes more sense if you have more Hp on :seismitoad: because there is no way to regenerate

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

:corviknight::clefable::toxtricity::seismitoad::cinderace::excadrill: <---- click here for your improved team

change :excadrill: Item ---> :Life Orb: ,:Leftovers: or :Focus Sash:

it makes little sense to play a scarf and sit up with it.

I recommend this:

:excadrill: Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

your :cinderace:, :toxtricity:, :corviknight:, :clefable: is good you can play like that.

Change :seismitoad: Ev's ---> 252 HP / 252 Def / 4SpD

it makes more sense if you have more Hp on :seismitoad: because there is no way to regenerate

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

:corviknight::clefable::toxtricity::seismitoad::cinderace::excadrill: <---- click here for your improved team
I do agree. The team seems pretty solid.
I do want to make a small suggestion though, building on Mr.Serize's rate;
For :excadrill:Excadrill, you may want to try having the item be :occa berry:Occa Berry og :chople berry:Chople Berry.
The occa berry halves damage taken from any supereffective fire-type attack, which allows you to live fire blast from :hydreigon:Hydreigon, :dragapult:Dragapult, modest :rotom-heat:Rotom-heat and :clefable:Clefable. This allows it to set up a speed boost with rapid spin on Hydreigon's fire blast, and/or an SD on Rotom-heat's overheat and Clefable's fire blast, giving it a better shot at sweeping or cleaning up.
The chople berry lets Excadrill live a guts-boosted adamant Mach Punch from :conkeldurr:Conkeldurr. In return, a +2 EQ kills max HP Conk with a little bit of prior chip damage, so its easier to pull off a sweep when Conk doesnt revengekill it as easily. :)

Also; since you have rapid spin and court change; putting Body Press on :corviknight:Corviknight over defog can help you deal more easily with :bisharp:Bisharp, and not allow it to set up on your Corvi. Bisharp is a big threat to teams that are rather slow where the faster members struggle with Sucker Punch.

I'd like to say i love the look of the team, it's got a nice balanced/bulky offense feel to it, and i think you're going to have good success with it.

I do agree. The team seems pretty solid.
I do want to make a small suggestion though, building on Mr.Serize's rate;
For :excadrill:Excadrill, you may want to try having the item be :occa berry:Occa Berry og :chople berry:Chople Berry.
The occa berry halves damage taken from any supereffective fire-type attack, which allows you to live fire blast from :hydreigon:Hydreigon, :dragapult:Dragapult, modest :rotom-heat:Rotom-heat and :clefable:Clefable. This allows it to set up a speed boost with rapid spin on Hydreigon's fire blast, and/or an SD on Rotom-heat's overheat and Clefable's fire blast, giving it a better shot at sweeping or cleaning up.
The chople berry lets Excadrill live a guts-boosted adamant Mach Punch from :conkeldurr:Conkeldurr. In return, a +2 EQ kills max HP Conk with a little bit of prior chip damage, so its easier to pull off a sweep when Conk doesnt revengekill it as easily. :)

Also; since you have rapid spin and court change; putting Body Press on :corviknight:Corviknight over defog can help you deal more easily with :bisharp:Bisharp, and not allow it to set up on your Corvi. Bisharp is a big threat to teams that are rather slow where the faster members struggle with Sucker Punch.

I'd like to say i love the look of the team, it's got a nice balanced/bulky offense feel to it, and i think you're going to have good success with it.

good that you said him again that he had rapid spin, court change and defog I totally overlooked that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)