First RMT - Bulky Offense using Zard X/Azumarill/Ferrothorn Core

Team Preview:

Introduction:
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the metagame and for a while I'd been running a cookie cutter DeoSharp team to get some experience with the mechanics. I got bored with that after a while because the team building aspect of Pokemon is the one that attracts me the most. So, I decided to make a first attempt at building my own team. It's not very original but I've tried to put some thought into it. I've been experimenting with it for a while now and I've hit a wall somewhat because the team still has quite a few big threats that it can't deal with well. So I'd appreciate any advice you could give.

I wasn't confident enough to build the whole team from scratch so I decided to center the team on the fantastic defensive core of Charizard X, AV Azumarill and Ferrothorn but with a slight twist - since I wanted to go for a bulky offensive team, I decided to use the bulky DD Zard X rather than the Will-O-Wisp version. Latios then provides offensive Defog support, while also hitting the faster dragons that can hurt a mega-evolved Zard X. Thundurus provides T-Wave and Grass Knot support for Charizard sweeps while also giving an offensive check towards Bird Spam while Landorus is used for wallbreaking and as a second win condition if Zard X can't sweep.

Let's move on to the full team so I can provide more details.

The Team:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Atk / 108 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Mega Charizard-X is the primary win condition on this team as it is one of the best Dragon Dancer in the metagame. After +1, there are very few pokemon who can stop it from sweeping. Additionally, this version of Zard X is bulkier and runs Roost, so it can set up multiple times and can sometimes even get to +2. It also works as a really great Will-O-Wisp absorber from every user of that move save Heatran, who walls it because it doesn't run Earthquake, and forms a great defensive core with Azumarill and Ferrothorn.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

Azumarill, with an Assault Vest, is incredibly bulky on the special side and basically doesn't take more than 50% damage from most non super effective hits. Due to its Water-Fairy typing, Azumarill not only nullifies the attempts of Scarf carrying dragons such as Garchomp to revenge kill a boosted Charizard but is also a fantastic counter to Greninja (and the team's only counter if Greninja runs HP-Fire.)

Offensively, Azumarill, with Huge Power, can take advantage of its superb STAB's in Water and Fairy with the equivalent of a 436 Attack stat, while also providing the team with Knock-Off support and its only source of priority. Azumarill can also help break down Specially Defensive variants of Heatran for Charizard, though it absolutely hates getting burned. However, since the team has no wish support, if Azumarill is needed for its offensive presence and priority, I must switch it in sparingly.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Ferrothorn is a defensive monster, with great defensive typing and stats. With fully invested base 131 defense, Ferrothorn will tank even supereffective physical hits, although fire moves will obviously destroy it. The set I chose for Ferrothorn is completely standard. It can easily set up Stealth Rock multiple times in the games, as long as it doesn't face a Taunt user, due to its great bulk and its ability to heal itself with Leech Seed + Protect. Leech Seed also gives some unreliable cleric support to Azumarill and Charizard because the Seed a Fire Pokemon -> Switch to Zard/Azu isn't an entirely uncommon combination.

Power Whip prevents Ferrothorn from completely becoming Taunt bait and is also a useful offensive move against Quagsire, who is Charizard's best counter. Ferrothorn does, however, have one enormous flaw as it allows opposing sweepers to set up with ease. In particular, if I see a Mega Mawile on the opposing team, I basically play 5 on 6 because if it sets up on Ferrothorn, it can rip through my team.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Defog

Latios is the Offensive Defogger of the team. Charizard really appreciates both Defog support and Lati's offensive presence against dragons that are faster than its unboosted form. With Psyshock, Lati is my team's only useful weapon against Mega Venasaur apart from Landorus and by far the best response to Keldeo. I run HP Fighting on Lati as a Bisharp lure because DeoSharp is otherwise a massive pain for me to deal with and it also hits Tyranitar pretty hard on the switch. Additionally, Latios is also a great Landorus counter if I have to sack Thundurus for its T-Wave.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot

Thundurus is just such a fantastic pokemon. Priority Thunder Wave is a huge bailout and I can't recall exactly how many times its saved my ass. Thunderbolt is my best (and pretty much only) weapon against Bird Spam because Thundurus can take an unboosted Brave Bird from Talonflame or Quick Attack from Mega Pinsir. It's also my best attack against Mandibuzz who is otherwise a pain in the ass to deal with. HP Ice is again standard for dealing with non-scarf Dragonite and Garchomp, though Extremespeed does hurt, and for dealing with Gliscor and Landorus. Finally, I chose Grass Knot to lure and help deal with Quagsire and Hippodown which wall a +1 Charizard.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic
- Knock Off

And now we come to the pokemon I'm least certain about. Landorus is a monstrous special wallbreaker. He is also a great second win condition if the opponent has too many physical walls for Charizard to sweep. Earth Power gives me a much needed Ground STAB and is a great offensive weapon against an unboosted, unsubbed Mawile and my best weapon against Heatran without a Balloon. Sludge Wave gives me a super-effective move against Clefable and Azumarill who are otherwise problems. Psychic lets me deal with Venasaur without problems. Knock Off is a lure for Chansey.

I am, however, reconsidering Knock Off since I switched Focus Blast for Grass Knot on Thundurus. I might go back to Focus Blast so I can OHKO Balloon Heatran or I might go with Calm Mind to sweep and wallbreak more easily.

I'm not entirely sure if Landorus is the best fit for my team. Initially I went with Breloom because it gave me fighting priority which dealt with Bisharp, provided Spore which gave great momentum and also put a nice stop to non-sub Mawile. But Mega Venasaur was a huge problem without Landorus as Latios' Psyshock was my only reliable move against it. This is the point where I could most use some help, since I am still thinking about who to use for my last pokemon.

Importable:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Atk / 108 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Defog

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic
- Knock Off

Threatlist:

Mega Mawile:
By far the biggest threat to my team. Under a sub or at +2, it can really wreck my team. I can deal with it if I don't let it set up but once it does, I don't know what to do other than paralyze it and go for hax.

Bisharp:
A +2 Bisharp also wrecks my team but I can deal with an unboosted one. Bisharp is not a problem if I use Breloom but then Mega Venasaur is a huge deal.

Greninja:
If Azumarill is down and Greninja runs HP Fire it can hurt a great deal of my team. I can, however, deal with it with Charizard if Greninja has some damage on it.

Bird Spam:
Thundurus and to an extent Azumarill for Talonflame are my only hope of dealing with them.

Conclusion:

I've had fun building the team till now but I think it's far from a complete thing yet. There are too many dangerous threats that I only have shaky checks for, and Mega Mawile in particular is just terrifying. I'm really open to any suggestions on changes I can make, in moveset or in pokemon, as long as I don't change the core of Zard/Azu/Ferro because I do want to build around them. Thanks for the rate and/or help.

PokèManiac Livio

Un panino al salame
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hy there, really solid team, it has a great synergy but as you mentioned it seems to have some problem against some top usage sweeper, Bisharp and Mawile over all. Heatran also is a little threat, you pratically have no entries on it.

Don't want to change the good composition of the team, therefore recommend you to change the set of Charizard, its stat and his typing could help you against your bigger threats. My suggestion is to use an evs spread of 248 HP/32 Atk/188 SDef/40 Spd with a moveset of Earthquake/Will-O-Wisp/Dragon Claw/Roost. In this way you have a safe switch in against Heatran, Bisharp and Mawile (Ferrothorn on Mawile if it doesn t run Fire Fang/Knock Off). Will-O-Wisp allows Charizard to win 1vs1, in combo with Roost it Ppstall an eventual Sucker Punch spam of the opponent, while Earthquake hits hard steel types in general terms, Heatran and also Tyranitar, Dragon Claw the obvious STAB.

Another option could be put in Substitute>Knock Off on Landorus-I, you really don t need to hit Latwins, as you already have Azumarill and Ferrothorn that cover enaugh them. Substitute is an excellent way to win 1vs1 against Mawile and Bisharp, especially if Hazards dont afford to Charizard to enter on field.
Move 240 Evs from Sdef to Hp on Azumarill, them guarantee a good bulk in both defensive stat; Something in Spd to win 1vs1 against an eventual opponent s Azumarill, 12 or 16 could work well.

Pinsir has no chance to setup on this team, the only fodder is Ferrothorn, so you should try Thunder Wave over Protect, if you dont run Gyro Ball it is a great choice against fast setuppers.

Hope I helped you :) Really nice team

TL;dr

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 188 SDef / 40 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dragon Claw

Substitute>Knock Off

So let me point out one thing ice types will destroy this team scarf mamoswine can probably kill you...if your going to run breelon run the focus sash set i run
Spore
Swords dance
Bullet seed
Mach punch
Talonflame can counter most of your problems except talonflame i run the swords dance life orb set
Swords dance
Flare blitz
Brave bird
Roost
Best way to counter talonflame except switchs and rotom wash is stealth rocks

Hy there, really solid team, it has a great synergy but as you mentioned it seems to have some problem against some top usage sweeper, Bisharp and Mawile over all. Heatran also is a little threat, you pratically have no entries on it.

Don't want to change the good composition of the team, therefore recommend you to change the set of Charizard, its stat and his typing could help you against your bigger threats. My suggestion is to use an evs spread of 248 HP/32 Atk/188 SDef/40 Spd with a moveset of Earthquake/Will-O-Wisp/Dragon Claw/Roost. In this way you have a safe switch in against Heatran, Bisharp and Mawile (Ferrothorn on Mawile if it doesn t run Fire Fang/Knock Off). Will-O-Wisp allows Charizard to win 1vs1, in combo with Roost it Ppstall an eventual Sucker Punch spam of the opponent, while Earthquake hits hard steel types in general terms, Heatran and also Tyranitar, Dragon Claw the obvious STAB.

Another option could be put in Substitute>Knock Off on Landorus-I, you really don t need to hit Latwins, as you already have Azumarill and Ferrothorn that cover enaugh them. Substitute is an excellent way to win 1vs1 against Mawile and Bisharp, especially if Hazards dont afford to Charizard to enter on field.
Move 240 Evs from Sdef to Hp on Azumarill, them guarantee a good bulk in both defensive stat; Something in Spd to win 1vs1 against an eventual opponent s Azumarill, 12 or 16 could work well.

Pinsir has no chance to setup on this team, the only fodder is Ferrothorn, so you should try Thunder Wave over Protect, if you dont run Gyro Ball it is a great choice against fast setuppers.

Hope I helped you :) Really nice team

TL;dr

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 188 SDef / 40 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dragon Claw

Substitute>Knock Off
Hi. Thanks for the suggestions. I think Substitute over Knock Off is a good idea. I'm also playing around with the idea of using Calm Mind.

For the Charizard suggestion, if I remove the Fire type STAB and DDance and run Earthquake and Wisp, I gain the ability to deal with Bisharp and Mawile pretty well but Zard loses the ability to sweep and I thus lose my biggest win condition. Do you think the rest of the team has enough offense for Zard to sacrifice its ability to set up?

Also, if I do give up the Flare Blitz, Ferrothorn becomes a problem. Perhaps I should run Focus Blast on Landorus to deal with this issue then.

These are interesting suggestions. I'm going to experiment with them to see what's most effective.

I know who he is, I watch his videos. Maybe its not terrible, but a life orb or focus sash is a much better item than scarf on mamo. That is because the ice and groud coverage has almost perfect coverage barring rotom wash and heat, and it is very important to be able to switch up your moves.
Yes thats true life orb is common but i might try scarf idk people have different opinions

I do have an Ice problem. I have usually ended up sacking Thundurus against Sash Mamoswine if rocks aren't up. If they are, Thundurus can take an Ice Shard and hit back with Grass Knot. Azumarill and Ferrothorn also can deal with Mamo fairly well.

Greninja is a bigger problem. Azumarill walls it completely unless it runs Grass Knot and an evolved Charizard can take a hit and KO back but those are only weak checks.

Kyu-B is a problem if its a scarfer or under a sub.

Talonflame is a big problem. I have to keep Thundurus alive if Talonflame is alive on the opposite side.

I've considered swapping out Landorus for Sub Kyu-B and Latios for Air Baloon Excadrill. This gives me better protection against Ice attacks but I do miss Latios's Draco Meteor and Landorus' wallbreaking power.

If you have any suggestions to help deal with these pokemon, I'd be really happy to hear them.

I do have an Ice problem. I have usually ended up sacking Thundurus against Sash Mamoswine if rocks aren't up. If they are, Thundurus can take an Ice Shard and hit back with Grass Knot. Azumarill and Ferrothorn also can deal with Mamo fairly well.

Greninja is a bigger problem. Azumarill walls it completely unless it runs Grass Knot and an evolved Charizard can take a hit and KO back but those are only weak checks.

Kyu-B is a problem if its a scarfer or under a sub.

Talonflame is a big problem. I have to keep Thundurus alive if Talonflame is alive on the opposite side.

I've considered swapping out Landorus for Sub Kyu-B and Latios for Air Baloon Excadrill. This gives me better protection against Ice attacks but I do miss Latios's Draco Meteor and Landorus' wallbreaking power.

If you have any suggestions to help deal with these pokemon, I'd be really happy to hear them.
I think you should toss landorus and give a rocky helmet to ferrothorn and a good way to flat out deal with talonflame that is packed on most teams is to use stealth rocks which kills off over half of his health and my talonflame can normally kill a greninja or a uninvested greninja in defense with a brave bird and an adamant nature plus the life orb the set I run is
swords dance
flare blitz
brave bird
roost
slap a life orb and go 252 attack 252 speed and 4 hp and your good another thing other stealth rocks users you can use donphan has priority ice shard rocks and rapid spin and can smash hard, forretress can set up rocks and more has rapid spin and volt switch, skarmory just op

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)