SS OU First Team Grassy Terrain

Hello everyone, I hope you've been ok during the quarentine. Now getting into the topic at hand, lately I've been excited about the DLC that just came out. This led me to try to get involved in the competitive scene and seeing that the terrain mechanics is super fun, I decided to create my first competitive team focused on Grassy Terrain. Because it's my first team I would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance to all. So this is my team:

1592941800301.png

Rillaboom @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn​

Rillaboom will be my Grassy Terrain setter, this combined with Grassy Glide and Choice Band will make Rillaboom a clear danger and one of my main offensive pokemons. I added Drain Punch to gain more survivability and hit mons like Ferrothorn, Bisharp and more. Knock Off is always a good move to have and finally U - Turn will help mi pivot and get my terrain the longest time possible.

1592941820010.png

Milotic @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 126 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Triple Axel
- Recover​

This Milotic set is a little bit weird but I wanted to try a physical sweeper Milotic since forever (lol). With the bulk it has and adding the effect of grassy seed will make Milotic a pretty good set up mon. The idea is to send Rillaboom to set up Grassy Terrain, hit something as hard as possible and when a threat to him comes out, send Milotic to start setting up. DD will get its speed and attack thorugh the roof which in conjuction with Waterfall, the strongest water physical it learns, and the new move Triple Axel will help me cover almost every weakness. Also it will check Amoonguss.

1592941839998.png

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Body Press​

This is a pretty normal set for Magnezone but it's main role will be to hit as hard as possible. Volt Switch will make it a another and useful pivot in my team and the other moves are for coverage. I added Body Press to abuse it's high defensive stat. I considered changing it but I couldn't think of a better move. This mon will help me with Corviknight and Skarmory which I think are pretty big threats to my teams.

1592941854852.png

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain​

Volcarona is one of my favorite mons of all time and it's actually amazing. With the addition of Heavy Duty Boots, it just becomes so much more viable. The duty Volcarona will have is to clean house. The first three moves are pretty standard, Quiver Dance to set up, Fiery Dance to hit mons hard and have the possibility to set up even more, Bug Buzz as it's the best special bug move and finally giga drain to make it stronger in Grassy Terrain and give Volcarona more survivability.

1592941871736.png

Mudsdale @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- High Horsepower
- Stealth Rock​

Even though Mudsdale is not a popular pokemon I think it has amazing potencial as a Defensive Wall. The combination of its ability with Iron Defense and Body Press, makes this move really dangerous. As well Mudsdale will be the Stealth Rock setter of my team and for the final move it'll be high horsepower as it isn't affected by Grassy Terrain as Earthquake is. I chose Rocky Helmet over leftovers as I think that Rillaboom is more importante than Mudsdale and with grassy terrain it'll have a recovery option.

1592941888188.png

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play​

Finally but not least it's Amoonguss as my Special Wall. This is a pretty standard set for Amoonguss except for Giga Drain that with the boost of Grassy Terrain will make the move stronger and will make Amoonguss more annoying combining it with regenerator. Clear Smog is to clear up any mons that are trying to set up. Sludge Bomb is the strongest poison STAB it gets and Foul Play is for coverage so I can run Assault Vest.

I hope my team is of your liking or at least interesting. Any feedback is well appreciated. One point I have in my head is that I don't have a rapid spiner or defoger. I may add Defog to Volcarona but I don't know. Thanks again!

Maybe swap the assault vest on amoonguss for black sludge and give it stun spore and spore instead of foul play and sludge bomb. Clear Smog already deals with stat boosts and is Posion STAB like sludge bomb (i know it deals less damage but two attacking moves of the same type isnt good.)
Also with Mudsdale why not EQ instead of High Horsepower? EQ does more and is 100% accurate.
Other than that nice team :)

Hi! Thanks a lot for the input!

To be fair I didn't even think about black sludge for Amoonguss and it's a great tip. I'll sure apply it.

For the Mudsdale point I used High Horsepower over EQ because in Grassy Terrain EQ's power halfs so at the end High Horsepower would be a better move for the theme of the team I'm going :)

Thanks! I really thought about it lol.

Why are you running Mudsdale? Its a lot worse than Hippowdon and has no recovery option so i do not see why you are running it over hippo. Also about milotic, it just gets walled by common Pokemon such as toxapex and slowbro and any water type in general. It doesn't really do anything for the team whatsoever. Giga drain on Volcarona doesn't really hit anything hard enough to be worth running. If you want sustain use roost over giga drain. If you want t hit toxapex use Psychic over giga drain.

Giga Drain on Volcarona isn't as bad as it sounds, however, you really don't need Fiery Dance on it, you can already set up more than enough with Quiver Dance, you have much better options in the form of Flamethrower or Fire Blast, Fiery Dance will often make you fall short when you can simply OHKO most of the meta with Fire Blast. Note that you only need one QD to setup with Fire Blast, whereas you'd likely need 2 to do the same with flamethrower, although it's accuracy makes it a more reliable option.

(Disclaimer: I'm not confident about anything in this post - I'm pretty new to SS OU.)
Why are you running Mudsdale? Its a lot worse than Hippowdon and has no recovery option so i do not see why you are running it over hippo.
I think they're trying to run it as a bulky setup sweeper, something that Hippowdon can't really do. That said, I sort of think it's weird to have a rocks setter/setup sweeper - I think it would serve either role better if it wasn't trying to serve the other one.

Also about milotic, it just gets walled by common Pokemon such as toxapex and slowbro and any water type in general. It doesn't really do anything for the team whatsoever.
I agree. (Although Searchgi does have three Pokémon that can deal a world of hurt vs. bulky waters...) A good replacement might be some sort of support - a wishpasser, maybe?

Giga Drain on Volcarona isn't as bad as it sounds, however, you really don't need Fiery Dance on it, you can already set up more than enough with Quiver Dance, you have much better options in the form of Flamethrower or Fire Blast, Fiery Dance will often make you fall short when you can simply OHKO most of the meta with Fire Blast. Note that you only need one QD to setup with Fire Blast, whereas you'd likely need 2 to do the same with flamethrower, although it's accuracy makes it a more reliable option.
No opinions on giga drain (not well-informed enough to form one), but I'd say running flamethrower or fire blast is very important - your team is in big trouble if the opponent has a ground-immune steel and your Magnezone gets KO'd. (That, and many skarms/corvis run U-turn/Whirlwind respectively.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)