Non-Pokébank OU First team

Introduction

Hey all, this is my first team in SM. I have some basic experience in competitive, mostly going in and out of "phases" where I'd get into battling for a while then duck out. I've played a bunch of randomized battles on PS and know the mechanics of battling, switching, baiting, etc, but theorycrafting and teambuilding is where I don't have much experience. I tried to cover glaring weaknesses in this build, but there are still some iffy points I'd like some more seasoned battlers to give me some more understanding on.

The Team

Lycanroc @ Focus Sash
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Accelerock
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
Lyanrock is one of my two leads, and the one I usually choose the most. Sometimes I go for the suicide to put up stealth rocks, but I'm still working on getting some experience on when that's the best option to do. When I see the enemy has another traps user, I usually start with starmie instead.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Bonemerang
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
I went for jolly here over adamant because I've found it really nice to be able to outspeed several of the other slow/average speed alolan threats. I do understand that the full speed investment probably isn't actually necessary, though. I have a bit limited experience and don't know who I'm actually outspeeding with this and how much that's benefiting me. I know that in one of my battles, I was able to outspeed a necrozma because I knew it probably didn't take speed ev's, but I don't know who else I could outspeed in this situation where I wouldn't have been able to if I took adamant and no speed. Any help fine tuning marowak's ev spread and nature would be really appreciated, so that I'm not wasting ev's on speed but I can still go first unexpectedly against slow/average pokemon.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
Again here I went with a weird-ish nature. The actual main reason I went with modest here was because I plan to build this team in my game, and had already caught a modest lele before planning out in depth what I was going to build. After testing it out here, though, I haven't yet run into a situation where I got outsped because of modest nature when I'm running choice scarf. If anyone could lend some knowledge on when timid would be better, that'd be cool. For the last slot I wanted something that could hit fast water types that could cover for bulu when he was fainted or scared of an ice attack. I figured with all the marowaks running around energy ball would be a better choice, but I haven't used this move much and both times it was only on a water type where thunderbolt would still work and have a paralyze chance. Would thunderbolt be better here? Or shadow ball?

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
Starmie was the last pokemon I put in my team. I wanted a bulky water type that I could switch in to take a few hits, but found starmie and remembered a vid I saw where it ran thunderwave. I decided this would be a good fit, especially because it covers a lot of leads that lyanrock might fail to. If someone throws out a hazards setter, I can threaten with rapid spin, but paralyze what switches in - which has worked more than I thought it would and I'm really liking it. I also didn't go for scald here and instead went for a stronger water attack because marowak has will o wisp and also because I was already running twave. I thought about psychic also to go with psychic terrain, but decided against it because I could hit nihilego with hydro pump and because even if I couldn't kill toxapex I could sweep the spikes and natural cure the poison away from baneful bunker.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
Wanted a physical tank, and didn't have a mega yet. I opted to use lele over alakazam because his frailty is a bit concerning to me, and metagross I feel wasn't tanky enough or lacked recover. So far, scizor has been a nice fit here, but he hasn't been mvp or anything. He's been helpful against mimikyu, especially if I can get a burn off beforehand with marowak.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Megahorn
- Superpower
I find bulu and marowak to cover each other well. I went for a tankier bulu instead of speedy one because I find myself switching into him a lot. Grassy terrain has worked well for starmie and scizor too.

Conclusion

Again, this is my first team, and I'm definitely prepared to be told my choices were wrong in a lot of places. Basically how I built was starting with marowak and lyanrock, then sort of building around them using what I saw on many teams on these forums. It's worked out well so far, only one loss out of around ten games (thanks for missing twice in a row each, megahorn and stone edge), but then again I am new and started at base elo. Any criticism is welcome!

Lycanroc @ Focus Sash
Ability: Keen Eye
Jolly Nature
- Accelerock
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Bonemerang
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Megahorn
- Superpower

Some notable threats:

Garchomp with Poison Jab/Iron Head can stop your team with a +1 and some residual damage on Tapu Bulu if Iron Head.
  • +1 Jolly outruns Modest Scarf Tapu Lele
  • Can set-up on : Marowak, Scizor, and Lycanroc. (Probably won't setup on Marowak though in fear of Will-O-Wisp) but are you going to risk EQ?

Celesteela will also kill basically the entire team.
  • Autotomize with EQ can defeat the team, maybe you can scare it off with Starmie + Twave
  • Subseed with EQ(or whenever Marowak is removed) can also wall off the entire team
EDIT: Accidently pressed post

Other potential threats: Really weak to

After playing some more games, I can definitely attest to scarfed garchomp and celesteela giving me trouble. The only way I can kill celesteela is by using twave and marowak very carefully. I'm also having trouble with greninja, since it outspeeds everyone but my lele and takes out most of my team fairly fast. Mega metagross has put me in bad positions as well because I have to keep both starmie and marowak alive to deal with it usually.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help my team out vs celesteela, m-metagross, greninja, and to an extent garchomp? I'm going to put shadow ball on lele for metagross but I don't think it's the best solution because it's a 2hko.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)