SS OU First Time Building an OU Team

I've been playing OU for a little while now, and wanted to try my hand at building a team of my own, and thought about the pokemon I should try building around. This led to my first choice, Keldeo.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Specs keldeo hits hard, and hits alot of pokemon in the tier. Went with modest over Timid for just a little boost in power, as I have a bit of speed control on another pokemon on the team. Not much else to say with him, keldeo just kinda comes in and hits hard.

Next pokemon i was looking at was one I knew to be a good partner for Keldeo, and a physical breaker to compliment keldeo.

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Rillaboom serves as a physical breaker to help Keldeo with some of the Pokemon it struggles to touch, albeit Rillaboom itself. Main role on the team is to break the threats Keldeo can't really touch, build momentum with U-turn or annoy with knock off. Went with superpower over Woodhammer for just a little extra coverage.

At this point i was looking for a good defensive switch in and uturn and rocks support, which lead me to the next mon.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Toxic

Standard defensive Landorus, puts up rocks to help the offensive core, Uturn for momentum and pivots, Toxic for whatever I don't like that day and EQ cause non of these pokemon are able to deal with someone talking smack apparently. Serves as one of the main pivots of the team, intimidate always helping to switch as well.

Next is the defog support, because I chose not to run it on Landorus.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Standard Defog Corviknight, there primarily to get rid of hazards, help prolong the U-turn train I got going somehow(this was completely unintentional) and serve as a Rillaboom answer on the team with Brave Bird over Body press, with Lando or Keldeo covering for heatran and magnezone.

By this point I was kinda out of ideas for what to run with the rest of it, I was thinking of maybe adding in a more offensive pivot and something that can actually take special hits. These were the two i found to cover those roles.

Zeraora @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Volt Switch
- Knock Off
- Close Combat

Just kinda there to serve as a zap answer, more knock off, cause there's never too much, and volt switch to keep the switch train going. standard zera stuff.

Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Future Sight
- Scald
- Teleport

Slowking was the pick that covered the holes i wanted, mainly the speed control with thunder wave and having a special wall and of course, more switching moves with teleport. Future sight is there to help Rillaboom and Keldeo really secure kills on mons like pex and corv.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, I like the premise of your team. I'm a big fan of rillaboom, no matter how many people try and say it's past its prime, and I respect the hell outta anyone trying to build with him. I'd like to offer a few suggestions to help improve your team a bit.

I've noticed that weavile is very threatening to your team as it stands, and you don't really have a good CC switch in from Urshifu. As such, I'm gonna suggest the following changes while trying to keep your team premise intact.

The first change I'd like to suggest is Urshifu>Keldeo. While keldeo was a favorite of mine in ORAS (prolly my most used mon), it's not that great in ss. Mainly, the prevalence of both slowkings, fini, pex, etc all dissuade its stabs quite a bit, leaving it unable to do much more than flip turn, which you don't have on this team. And while urshifu is blocked by the same mons, being a physical attacker with CC and a guaranteed multi hit critical hit move is much more appealing in this meta. Furthermore, it has decent priority in Aqua Jet and u turn, while also being a really good offensive check to weavile thanks to its 100/100 physical Bulk. I'm gonna suggest the CB set since it's a really good hard hitter. Pads is an alternative, but it lacks breaking power and needs more team support, at least in my opinion

Next, I'm gonna suggest koko>zeraora. I honestly believe zera is mediocre against most team structures these days. It's still decent, but I think koko is better. It has recovery and u turn isn't blocked by anything making it a better pivot imo. Koko is a rly good late game cleaner, and it's a good softcheck to weav as well, which is never unwelcome.

Lastly, I'd like to suggest slowking galar>normal slowking. The matchup against heatran becomes more difficult, so I don't think this change is as necessary, but if you make it you're much more consistent against koko and fini, while retaining future Sight. Furthermore, you are able to tank 2 shadow balls from pult at full, giving you a pivot for it, which you currently lack. Because of this, ice beam is necessary. I chose Flamethrower to help vs ferro, sciz, and weav, but Scald is an option if you want.

Outside of that, I don't have much else to add. Spdef Lando t, with at least 148 spdef EVs, helps vs koko, Tran, and volc. Don't think you have to make the change, but it's worth looking into imo. Could also try kart>rilla, but idt that's really necessary and is more of your preference between the two. I'll post the sets below

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Surging Strikes
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Roost

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 120 SpA / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Future Sight
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
EVs live 2 pult sballs + never OHKOed by shifu

Hey man, I like the premise of your team. I'm a big fan of rillaboom, no matter how many people try and say it's past its prime, and I respect the hell outta anyone trying to build with him. I'd like to offer a few suggestions to help improve your team a bit.

I've noticed that weavile is very threatening to your team as it stands, and you don't really have a good CC switch in from Urshifu. As such, I'm gonna suggest the following changes while trying to keep your team premise intact.

The first change I'd like to suggest is Urshifu>Keldeo. While keldeo was a favorite of mine in ORAS (prolly my most used mon), it's not that great in ss. Mainly, the prevalence of both slowkings, fini, pex, etc all dissuade its stabs quite a bit, leaving it unable to do much more than flip turn, which you don't have on this team. And while urshifu is blocked by the same mons, being a physical attacker with CC and a guaranteed multi hit critical hit move is much more appealing in this meta. Furthermore, it has decent priority in Aqua Jet and u turn, while also being a really good offensive check to weavile thanks to its 100/100 physical Bulk. I'm gonna suggest the CB set since it's a really good hard hitter. Pads is an alternative, but it lacks breaking power and needs more team support, at least in my opinion

Next, I'm gonna suggest koko>zeraora. I honestly believe zera is mediocre against most team structures these days. It's still decent, but I think koko is better. It has recovery and u turn isn't blocked by anything making it a better pivot imo. Koko is a rly good late game cleaner, and it's a good softcheck to weav as well, which is never unwelcome.

Lastly, I'd like to suggest slowking galar>normal slowking. The matchup against heatran becomes more difficult, so I don't think this change is as necessary, but if you make it you're much more consistent against koko and fini, while retaining future Sight. Furthermore, you are able to tank 2 shadow balls from pult at full, giving you a pivot for it, which you currently lack. Because of this, ice beam is necessary. I chose Flamethrower to help vs ferro, sciz, and weav, but Scald is an option if you want.

Outside of that, I don't have much else to add. Spdef Lando t, with at least 148 spdef EVs, helps vs koko, Tran, and volc. Don't think you have to make the change, but it's worth looking into imo. Could also try kart>rilla, but idt that's really necessary and is more of your preference between the two. I'll post the sets below

Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Surging Strikes
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn

Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Roost

Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Future Sight
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
Good advice but don’t disrespect my man zeraora like that

Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Surging Strikes
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn

Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Roost

Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Future Sight
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

That was something I noticed when I played with the team, I kept struggling against a decently played weavile, as well as the aforementioned urshifu and dragapult. I'll definitely take the king and koko changes on board, but while i still kinda like keldeo, i'll definitely try out urshifu though. Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)