Done Fix some of the Gen3 trainer sprites

Clementine

one for the money, two for the show
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
UUPL Champion
Sup!
I recently noticed that the Mr Fuji trainer sprite was a little bit broken.

fuji-1.PNG
mrfuji-2.PNG

As you can see on the screenshot on the left, which was taken on PS while using Dark Mode, the white parts of the sprite are transparent instead. I was able to check this on GIMP and this is indeed the case.

mrfuji-fixed.PNG
This is what it's supposed to look like (I guess)

I also noticed this on other gen3 sprites, I found out that the Gen3 Anabel sprite, the Gen3 Lucy sprite, and the Gen3 Spenser sprite all have the same problem. I tried looking for other broken sprites, but this is all I could find. If anyone notices another sprite with this issue, don't hesitate to send me a message so I can fix them / complete this thread.
I fixed the ones I noticed, so here they are.

mrfuji-gen3.png
anabel-gen3.png
lucy-gen3.png
spenser-gen3.png

PS: If it's not too much to ask, would it be possible to add some of the forgotten sprites?
ethan-pokeathlon.png
ethan-pokeathlon
lyra-pokeathlon.png
lyra-pokeathlon
maid-gen4.png
maid-gen4pt
pokemaniac-gen2.png
pokemaniac-gen2
rocker-gen2.png
rocker-gen2
weird-light.png
weird-light

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
In addition, here are a few trainer sprites that look weird (it's more obvious with PS/Smogon dark mode) due to some white pixels not having been removed.

Old → Fixed

beauty-gen2jp
kris-gen2jp

flannery-gen3
lass-gen3rs
parasollady-gen3
youngcouple-gen3

cc Zarel

Last edited:

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Thanks guys, I guess I shouldn't have used PS Trainer sprites as a base for this project: https://github.com/smogon/sprites/tree/master/src/canonical/trainers

I'll fix all these issues there and then port them back to PS along with a number of other things I already fixed in that repo, like adding some of those missing sprites and replacing duplicates (such as both male Cooltrainer from RS being the Japanese version for some reason). I intentionally didn't add the non-cosplay Pokéstar Studios stuff there since they aren't really Trainers, but I seem to have missed the Pokéathlon ones.

Please do point out other shoddy Trainer sprite transparencies if you spot any! If they're from Gen 3 they don't have to be fixed by hand, just find them in the appropriate game disassembly. Gen 1 and 2 source files are unfortunately not transparent to begin with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)