SM OU Flame Charge Marowak New Meta! 1615 79%gxe and climbing

My 2nd rmt here, the team can handle the top threats in OU and only suffers from a few specific rarely seen weaknesses. At 1574 currently and still climbing

marowak-alola.gif

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flame Charge
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

My main man, it counters Koko and provides valuable fire coverage. The EVs are to outspeed base 50s, specifically Chansey before it can Toxic you. The idea is to set up a sub and swords dance, flame charge gives it an opportunity to sweep and I prefer it over Fire Punch as the power difference wasnt much.

greninja-ash.gif

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Extrasensory

Ash Greninja was added next as it had great synergy with Marowak, it takes out bulky Ground types which the team struggles with. For the last slot Extrasensory was chosen to help break down Toxapex and Venusaur. Surf is mainly used over HP because it pissed me off when it missed.

scizor-mega.gif

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Defog

I needed a way to get rid of hazards and mega Scizor was perfect, using Impish over Adamant greatly increased its walling capabilities it also provided valuable pivoting support to help with bringing in Greninja and Marowak

zygarde.gif

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Toxic
- Extreme Speed

Zygarde was added next because i needed a fire resist that can take a hit, it forms a powerful core with Scizor and Greninja. Choice Band over Dragon Dance because i wanted it bulky therefore im limited on Speed EVs so bulky band was the best option.
I noticed that the team had a severe weakness to Porygon2 so Toxic was added on Zygarde, if he faints without poisoning it, then its over.

celesteela.gif

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake/Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Next Celesteela was added, I needed a way to counter Lele and I lacked a ground immunity so this was chosen. I maximized Special Defense as I already had Scizor for the physical wall. I use Earthquake over Heavy Slam most of the time to hit Heatran and Magnezone because it is capable of surviving Magma Storms and Choiced Thunderbolts now that it is Sassy. Having Flamethrower is a must so you dont always have to rely on Marowak who could get crippled by Knock Off from Ferrothorn.

clefable.gif

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect

I added Clefable next as the team was rather passive and i kept getting swept by Hawlucha and Zygarde. This is my check to Charizard X but it is still 2hkoed by blitz so dont switch it in directly.
Heal Bell is valuable over other support moves as it prevents Clef from getting toxic stalled and to heal of the burn from Zygarde because Zygarde is your only chance of winning against Toxapex

Threats:
keldeo.gif

Keldeo (Specs) - Very dangerous, it can come in on Greninja and i will proceed to switch in Celesteela or Clefable and they get severely damaged by Hydro Pump

porygon2.gif

Porygon2 - Your only way of dealing with this is to hit it with a Toxic from Zygarde

clefable.gif

Clefable(Cosmic Power) - You can fix this by running Heavy Slam on Celesteela

azumarill.gif

Azumarill(Sap Sipper) - You can try hitting it with Toxic but thats about it

The team covers a lot of threats but they absolutely need each other to cover weaknesses

REPLAYS:

TrickRoom
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-717229481

Mawile Balance
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-717240039

Mega Medicham
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-717233483

Psyspam w/ Keldeo
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-717320530

Last edited:
Hey there! I'd like to say that there a huge power difference between flame charge and fire punch, especially, when you're not running max speed on marowak so it's not gonna get much speed even after +1.

While I prefer to run fire punch either over flame charge or flareblitz. The former one is week while the later one gives you recoil as you're running lightning rod.

-1 252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 141-166 (44.2 - 52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
-1 252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flame Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 94-112 (29.4 - 35.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

As you can see fire punch actually 2kos scarf Lando (one of the most ideal Mons to switch into marowak) while flare charge does way too low.

Another thing is that you don't have a rocks setter and sr is really important in competitive ou. So I'd suggest you to change your clef set Magic Guard one as it still check zygarde and hawlucha.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

You can run Knock off/Thunder wave or even heal bell over CM.

Also you should run max speed on zygarde so you can outspeed certain threats, like defensive zap, defensive fini and more, and 2ko them w/ 1000Arrows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)