Monotype Flight of Icarus, a Flying Monotype Team

Hello Monotype! I'm here to finish up my USUM Monotype experience by posting an interesting team that average fella and I built a few months ago. We wanted to build a flying team featuring Flyinium Z Moltres. From there we added some of the staples of Flying in addition to another niche bird. We quickly realized that some of our picks weren't working well for the team, so we ended up replacing two of the members of the team with Articuno and Zapdos. These changes made the team much more competitive, and it's finally good enough to show you wonderful people. As with my first RMT, I would prefer it if the team could keep most of its character.

Process

:moltres: Moltres is a niche pick that can act as both an alright wallbreaker and a sweeper depending on the circumstances.

:moltres::aerodactyl-mega: Aerodactyl was added as our Mega to set Stealth Rock, give the team some immediate speed, and help with Dragon, Fire, and Flying.

:moltres::aerodactyl-mega::thundurus: We had a serious weakness to Water and opposing Stealth Rock, so we added Thundurus to act as a Water check and an emergency Defog user.

:moltres::aerodactyl-mega::thundurus::landorus-therian: Both Electric types and Choice Scarf users with Rock coverage would run us through, so we added Landorus-T.

:moltres::aerodactyl-mega::thundurus::landorus-therian::honchkrow: Z-Celebrate and Z-Happy Hour users were very common and dealing with Choice Scarf Latios would be difficult, so we added Honchkrow for priority.

:moltres::aerodactyl-mega::thundurus::landorus-therian::Honchkrow::Celesteela: Celesteela was added to round out the team and to try to patch up our weakness to Fairy.

:moltres::aerodactyl-mega::thundurus::landorus-therian::honchkrow::zapdos: We were not the least bit impressed by Celesteela in our test games and we needed another Defog user, so we replaced it with Zapdos.

:moltres::aerodactyl-mega::articuno::landorus-therian::honchkrow::zapdos: Zapdos gave us a lot of trouble if we missed Stone Edge, and we didn't want to sacrifice our Water match up, so we replaced Thundurus with Articuno.

The Team

1571591328427.png

Moltres @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Agility

The first member of the team and what inspired us to build it to begin with. Moltres is an absolute monster in many match ups, capable of sweeping Bug, Grass, Steel, and Fighting, RNG permitting. Z-Hurricane deals heavy damage to anything that does not resist it, and it's helpful when you want to ignore Hurricane's accuracy check once per game. Fire Blast is obligatory STAB that hits Ferrothorn, Scizor, Celesteela, and plenty of other threats that can't resist it. Hidden Power Ground is useful once Heatran's Air Balloon is broken. Agility is capable of turning Moltres from a wallbreaker into a sweeper against the aforementioned Bug, Grass, Steel, and Fighting teams. Moltres is also the main Kommo-o check, outspeeding it before Clangorous Soulblaze and taking a +1 Clanging Scales before Stealth Rock and killing it with Z-Hurricane. average fella also jokes that Flame Body is our best Azumarill check once it sets up (Though he isn't entirely wrong, and I am exploring alternate spreads on other members of the team to attempt to remedy this.)

1571592644455.png

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Att / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

The second member of the team, and the main speed control. Aerodactyl is necessary speed control capable of heavily pressuring Fire and Ice teams that other members of the team struggle with. It also acts as one of the team's three emergency Defog users (arguably the most important one because it outspeeds most of the metagame) and its Stealth Rock setter. In addition to these functions, it can be used to put chip damage on a threat so another member of the team can revenge kill the threat. It can also be used as a check to threats like Muk-Alola and Tapu Koko so Landorus-T doesn't have to lose its item or die to Shuca+HP Ice and Honchkrow doesn't have to suicide to kill Muk.

1571594069567.png

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Ice
- Defog

The third member of the team and the first one that probably has most of you questioning the seriousness of the team. Life Orb Zapdos without Roost is one of a few ideas I've explored on a previous team. The pressure it puts on anything that isn't a dedicated special wall is undeniable. Thunderbolt+HP Ice allows Zapdos to make opposing Flying teams question every play they make, and Heat Wave makes it a reliable secondary check to Fire weak threats like Scizor and Tapu Bulu. Defog can be used to bluff a defensive set and act as the second of the team's three potential Defog users. Roost would kill momentum and replacing any of the four moves with it would reduce Zapdos' usefulness considerably. Thundurus would not be a suitable replacement because it does a poor job of checking Scizor and the other threats Heat Wave is used for and it's considerably less bulky, reducing its longevity.

1571595391706.png

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 100 HP / 136 Atk / 104 Def / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Landorus-T is a blanket check to many strong physical mons. The EV spread in tandem with Superpower allows it to kill Mega Tyranitar after taking a -1 Ice Punch after Stealth Rock damage, and outpace it if it decides to Dragon Dance. The Speed investment allows it to outpace Zeraora and base 80s at +1. U-Turn is to gain momentum on threats that Landorus-T can force out. Earthquake is obligatory STAB that allows it to take advantage of its Electric immunity. Knock Off allows Landorus-T to help soften up Normal's defensive core and aids in checking threats that have Choice Scarf like Heracross.

1571596333851.png

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Honchkrow is the fifth member of the team, and one of its two best wallbreakers. Sucker Punch can be used to outright kill threats that are weak to it like Raichu and Victini, or finish off chipped threats (even those resistant to Dark attacks). If it manages to get a Moxie boost, it outright sweeps most Psychic teams with Sucker Punch after Gallade has been chipped. Brave Bird can do impressive damage to anything that doesn't resist it, outright 2HKOing Mandibuzz and Toxapex after Stealth Rock damage. Superpower allows Honchkrow to threaten Tyranitar and Normal's core. It's important that you watch Honchkrow's HP, however, as Life Orb recoil in addition to Brave Bird recoil can wear it down quickly.

1571597600737.png

Articuno @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Defog
- Roost

Articuno is another niche choice that allowed us to better threaten opposing Dragon, Flying, and Water teams. Never-Melt Ice is used over Life Orb because Articuno is using only Ice type attacks. Ice Beam is a fairly spammable Ice STAB that you'll click in pretty much any instance that you aren't facing down a water type. Freeze-Dry is the move that makes most Water players cry at team preview. Defog can be used if you force a Swampert or Hippowdon out after they've set rocks, and Articuno is far-and-away the best Defog user of the three against Ice type teams. Roost is used because Ice Beam + Freeze Dry is great coverage by itself and Articuno isn't strong enough to threaten anything when it isn't using its STAB moves, so a Hidden Power would be a questionable choice.

Threats and Problems with the Team

Weavile, Mamoswine, Kyurem-Black, and Sandslash-Alola are all threats capable of completely dismantling the team if Stealth Rock has been set, due to their Ice type priority in the case of the former and their strong Ice STAB in the case of all four.

If you don't manage to get any chip on it before it sets up, then Cloyster can steamroll the team. If you do chip it, however, then Honchkrow can revenge it with Sucker Punch. Luckily, every member of the team is faster than it and is capable of chipping it, so this problem is only a matter of pressuring the opponent enough and keeping off Aurora Veil.

Opposing Aerodactyl can do heavy damage to the team because the combination of Stone Edge + Ice Fang dismantles the team. The 40% chance of your own Aerodactyl winning the speed tie and proceeding to hit Stone Edge is the best chance you have at stopping it outright, otherwise you have to chip it with Landorus-T and then revenge it with Honchkrow.

Heracross and Terrakion are notable in that they force Landorus-T in every time they enter the field. If they don't let it Knock Off the Choice Scarf in the case of Heracross or use Earthquake in the case of Terrakion, they're more than capable of sweeping once they've managed to wear Landorus-T down sufficiently.

Zapdos and Rotom-W are both annoying and require you to keep Articuno healthy to deal with them.

Thundurus-T with Choice Scarf requires you to win multiple 50/50s to beat without losses, or hope that they don't realize they can't one shot Articuno.

Diancie-Mega requires the opponent to make a mistake with Tapu Bulu to beat without any trouble, but if you can set rocks then even in Grassy Terrain, Earthquake+Sucker Punch is sufficient to kill it.

If Azumarill sets up the game is over.

Kommo-o is a major problem if it enters the field against anything other than Moltres and rocks are up.

Greninja with Choice Specs is annoying, but with Choice Scarf and Expert Belt it's manageable.

As I've alluded to (and a good friend of mine pointed out explicitly), Fairy is a very difficult match up for this team.

It's a Monotype team, and as with most Monotype teams, some of the members of this team are much less useful in some match ups than they are in others.

Here are some replays (if you are in any of these and you would prefer it if I take it down, let me know!):
These show just how good the Water MU is:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-935993060
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/azure-gen7monotype-320162

This replay shows how terrifying Zapdos can be with a Life Orb:
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen7monotype-928810583

This replay does a good job of showing how the team handles threats on Dragon teams:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-922274363

This replay shows just how dominating Moltres can be in the Fighting MU:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-995255376

Moltres @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Agility

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 100 HP / 136 Atk / 104 Def / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Articuno @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Defog
- Roost

I hope you enjoy the team! Let me know if you have any questions or if I didn't explain something quite well enough. USUM Monotype has been a lot of fun for me!
Edit: After some criticism I got from a friend of mine, I've switched Moltres out for this Celesteela set to both ease the Fairy MU and make it not-impossible to beat Kommo-o if Stealth Rock has been set:
Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
I am still trying to make improvements to the team. This change makes the team a little bit more Heatran weak because I have yet another Fire weakness, but it makes beating Fairy seem like less a Herculean task than it was before. I am not entirely sold on Celesteela (we got rid of it before),
so if anyone can think of a way to keep all three birds and still have reasonable Kommo-o and Fairy MUs, please let me know!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)