Flying Press Logo Contest: Voting

Which logo do you think best fits Smogon's Flying Press?

• Logo #1

Votes: 58 24.0%
  • Logo #2

Votes: 59 24.4%
  • Logo #3

Votes: 35 14.5%
  • Logo #4

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • Logo #5

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • Logo #6

Votes: 33 13.6%
  • Logo #7

Votes: 9 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Welcome to the voting stage of Smogon's Flying Press Logo Contest! We asked the artists of our community to create logos that they would most accurately represent our project, and now we need you to decide which one is the best. We accepted one submission from each artist (and decided amongst ourselves which one to include if multiple were submitted) and are allowing voters to vote for only one logo to assure that the fan favorite is chosen. :toast:

Logo #1

Logo #2

Logo #3

Logo #4

Logo #5

Logo #6

Logo #7

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with some of my predecessors here: baring that period, #1 is the best. It just has that nice newspaper feel to it.

Might as well critique each picture.

#1: I'm always a fan of minimalistic design, but the main things that break this picture are Hawlucha's nose not being defined very well (some lineart at the top to make it not look like a sheer cutoff would go miles), and the period. The period is HUGE. Pretty much the only reason I'm not voting for this. Amazing picture otherwise.

#2: Already gave critique directly to the author, but the main flaw is the shakiness of Hawlucha's silhouette lineart. It has a lot of character to it, though.

#3: Very similar to #2, looks the most professional to me IMO but lacks the character #2 has. Certainly a good piece, but probably not going to vote for it. Close runner-up though.

#4: A nice try. Proportions and general quality need to be worked on, otherwise would be a noteworthy submission. But alas. All this artist needs is some more experience.

#5: Like #3, looks very professional and is very well drawn, but something about the Hawlucha design triggers me. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it doesn't seem natural.

#6: Putting humanoid characteristics on something that isn't canonically portrayed with them (here, visible muscles) sets off an insane number of bells in my head. Picture is good as always, but there's something about the color palette + quality that throws me off a bit.

#7: Like #4, a nice try. The picture could come across as crisper, but is otherwise a completely decent submission. The big problem here is that the style is off - it just doesn't seem to fit.

Without voting on the poll, I'm going to guess that the main contenders here are 2, 3, and 5. Going to vote #2, I like the character that it brings to the webzine. Makes you think of Hawlucha as more than just a mascot.

My favorites are 1, 2 , 7.
I dislike completely the #4, the design looks pretty bad in my opinion.
#6 doesn't make much sense, since it throws out the messenger bag and newspaper, for a book. The design looks really solid though.

I'm voting for #2.

Whelp, I lost. The thing is I had no idea how to use paint or whatever, and the whole thing is half-finished. :P

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
Whelp, I lost. The thing is I had no idea how to use paint or whatever, and the whole thing is half-finished. :P
There's no need to be so down on yourself! By entering this contest, I'm sure you learned some new skills on the program you were using, as well as more about art in general. You had a damn good submission from having no idea how to use your tools, and I'm excited to see you improve in the future n_n

Regarding the contest, all of these submissions are very good, and I'm excited to see who wins! I would be happy with any of them winning tbh. (I'm also very flattered by everyone who has voted for mine thus far, it means a lot <3)

There's no need to be so down on yourself! By entering this contest, I'm sure you learned some new skills on the program you were using, as well as more about art in general. You had a damn good submission from having no idea how to use your tools, and I'm excited to see you improve in the future n_n

Regarding the contest, all of these submissions are very good, and I'm excited to see who wins! I would be happy with any of them winning tbh. (I'm also very flattered by everyone who has voted for mine thus far, it means a lot <3)
Thanks!

Why oh why is this a single-vote/first-past-the-post poll??? D: (Unless a 51% majority and/or runoffs are required to win instead of just whichever has the most votes, in which case fine.)

I trust that enough people here know what the spoiler effect is, what makes single-vote polls utterly terrible at determining the best choice out of several, and why they are nearly guaranteed to either result in a winner that fewer people like (when a non-winning choice would have gotten more approval), or actively encourage voters to lie about their actual preferences.

Please please change this into either a multiple-vote poll or ANY voting system other than plurality single-vote. The proliferation of bad voting systems literally all around the world, sometimes on literally historic decisions, is nearly intolerable. The more people that are aware of what makes a good voting system and what makes a bad voting system, the better.

Last edited:
remove the period and adjust the ribbon thing accordingly and the purple one would 1000000000% have my vote :o
I have to agree with some of my predecessors here: baring that period, #1 is the best. It just has that nice newspaper feel to it.
#1:, and the period. The period is HUGE. Pretty much the only reason I'm not voting for this. Amazing picture otherwise.
#1 is crisp, but I could do without the period
Alright guys, the period sucks. That's not really a hard thing for me to change. I was going for an imitation of the Wall Street Journal, but I guess that doesn't work here.

Dunno if the OP can be updated

Also, seriously check out the submissions thread because for example #7 has a bunch of support artwork that doesn't show here and it sucks that only one logo is shown in the vote.

Last edited:
Honestly,#2 is great.It's really great and cute,and kinda fits the "flying press" theme.Logo #2 is a classic and shows a lot of a simplicity.#3 is trash(sorry).I can't really decide,but i actually voted for #2.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why oh why is this a single-vote/first-past-the-post poll??? D: (Unless a 51% majority and/or runoffs are required to win instead of just whichever has the most votes, in which case fine.)

I trust that enough people here know what the spoiler effect is, what makes single-vote polls utterly terrible at determining the best choice out of several, and why they are nearly guaranteed to either result in a winner that fewer people like (when a non-winning choice would have gotten more approval), or actively encourage voters to lie about their actual preferences.

Please please change this into either a multiple-vote poll or ANY voting system other than plurality single-vote. The proliferation of bad voting systems literally all around the world, sometimes on literally historic decisions, is nearly intolerable. The more people that are aware of what makes a good voting system and what makes a bad voting system, the better.
I agree with this sentiment! The poll, as it's set up, has various problems that do not guarantee the most popular submission to win. Given the scope of this poll, it wouldn't be too hard to use an alternative voting system (e.g., CAP uses a script for preferential block voting). I at least hope that there's at least a second poll after this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)