Metagame Follow the Leader

Here is a team I have really been enjoying. It's not the best and I would like some tips on it but it has been really hilarious. Very few people expect an 80 BP priority special move. It really does not like the gen 7 change to prankster though. It is a little too one dimensional to handle heavy dark or magic guard teams. Sorry for formatting issues this is my first post.
Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Endeavor
- Tailwind
- Nature Power
- Taunt

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Grass Whistle
- Hurricane
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Drampa @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Nature Power
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Cotton Guard
- Grass Knot

Xurkitree @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Switcheroo
- Nature Power
- Moonblast
- U-turn

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Leech Seed
- Hurricane
- Substitute

Swoobat @ Light Clay
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Defog
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave

Cresselia @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Stored Power
- Giga Drain
- Calm Mind

Celesteela @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Giga Drain

Tapu Fini @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain

Latios (F) @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Stored Power
- Giga Drain
- Calm Mind

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7followtheleader-940480102
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7followtheleader-940475762
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7followtheleader-940479258
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7followtheleader-940036220
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7followtheleader-939967823
Looks like you practically auto-lose to any decent Clefable team.

+6 0 SpA Latios Stored Power (300 BP) vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Unaware Magearna: 135-159 (37.1 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 0 SpA Latios Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Umbreon: 41-49 (10.4 - 12.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever
+6 0 SpA Latios Stored Power (300 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Unaware Chansey: 256-303 (36.4 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You could break through the steels/blobs by adding more power:
+6 252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Stored Power (300 BP) vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Unaware Magearna: 219-258 (60.3 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Stored Power (300 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Unaware Chansey: 417-492 (59.3 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Against unaware dark types, I see two options (neither of which work against Alolan Muk): either Toxic, or Buginium.
+6 252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Umbreon: 134-158 (34 - 40.1%) -- 35% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Savage Spin-Out (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Umbreon: 246-290 (62.4 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I wouldn't worry too much about unaware dark types, but I recommend putting Hoopa-U on the team because unaware steels and blobs are pretty common.

+6 0 SpA Latios Stored Power (300 BP) vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Unaware Magearna: 135-159 (37.1 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
celesteela walls it and mag dies eventually

+6 0 SpA Latios Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Umbreon: 41-49 (10.4 - 12.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever
I have yet to see an unaware umbreon in over 25 matches

+6 0 SpA Latios Stored Power (300 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Unaware Chansey: 256-303 (36.4 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
that's pretty good damage, and chansey will take a while to kill sub latios or roost celesteela.

You could break through the steels/blobs by adding more power:
+6 252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Stored Power (300 BP) vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Unaware Magearna: 219-258 (60.3 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Stored Power (300 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Unaware Chansey: 417-492 (59.3 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
hoopa isn't going to survive a super effective hit or wall anything.

Ahh, I always loved this meta~

So, I'm going to post here a Follow the Leader team that I nearly topped the ladder with last generation, using one of the most unexpected leaders that virtually no one would expect or even think of at the time of its inception, and a team that still works well even to this day when piloted right.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you one of my proudest creations: DruddLock.
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/druddigon.gif
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/aerodactyl.gif
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/garchomp.gif
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/cresselia.gif
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/heatran.gif
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/gyarados-mega.gif

I know what you're thinking: "What the hell is this?" "What is this man thinking leading with DRUDDIGON out of all the possible options to choose from?" Well dear viewers, take a gander below as I explain my madness and provide other options if you so choose, as Druddigon grants the team options that surprisingly very few if any other donors can provide.

Druddigon @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch

As you may guess, Druddigon is most likely the weakest link and biggest outlier of the team. However, that doesn't mean he can't make himself useful. The main play here is to nuke a bulky problem with Devastating Drake and open a path for the rest of the team. Fire Punch and Gunk Shot are each strong coverage tools that get an additional boost from Sheer Force, while Sucker Punch is available to pick off limping attackers

The EVs maximize its attack stat and just creep past uninvested Magearna, while the rest is set to improve its general bulk. This is the set that can be adjusted as much as you like to fit your own personal goals; An Assault Vest variant could also work if you want more bulk over raw power, some Speed can be moved into more overall bulk, Earthquake can replace most of the moves listed, or it can play a bulky role with Dragon Tail and Glare itself.

But, we're not here to talk about Druddigon, but rather what Druddigon can enable the team to do. So, let's go over all of the cogs in the DruddLock engine and see exactly why using Druddigon over anything else can prove so beneficial, starting with the most basic enabler of the combo.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Aerodactyl acts as the classic suicide lead of Generation 4, reliably setting up Stealth Rock while Taunting anything it doesn't want to deal with. Rock Slide is the STAB move of choice that goes hand-in-hand with Aerodactyl's speed so you could also fish for some spicy flinches. Earthquake is a coverage slot that deals good damage to Steels that may want to try and wall you out.

EVs are pretty obvious on this one. Glare can be used as a tech option and Stone Edge can replace Rock Slide if you so wished.

Okay so you set up your Stealth Rocks nearly-uncontested, so what comes next?

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 244 HP / 24 Def / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Glare
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

Admittedly, this set was supposed to go to Zygarde. But, since it's banned for being too good in OU, I had to settle my differences with Garchomp instead. As you can see, this is the ParaShuffler set of old that paralyzes threats almost for free and then sets up a Substitute to ward off incoming attacks, then phazing them out with Dragon Tail to continue spreading the status. Earthquake rounds off the set as a complimentary STAB move that punishes Electric types that would otherwise be immune to Glare's paralysis.

The EVs maximize Garchomp's overall bulk and allow it to outrun max speed Base 100 Pokemon and either paralyze or EQ them. The HP EVs maximize its overall bulk while the remaining Defense EVs make it so unboosted Foul Play users can never break Substitute in one shot. Rough Skin is the preferred ability as it works so well with Substitute. You can choose to shift some Speed investment into its bulk or even Attack if you wanted.

Now you probably see this and Aerodactyl's set and are asking where all of this is going. What's all of this building up to in the end? Well...

Cresselia @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail
- Roar

Say hello to one of the most annoying win conditions you can craft. Even though Rest is unfortunately Druddigon's only recovery move available to it and its followers, Cresselia can make it work with its naturally-high bulk even without Leftovers! Dragon Tail and Roar both force the opponent out against Cresselia and force even more chip damage from Stealth Rock, resulting in their inevitable demise. Sleep Talk lets you roulette for an immediate phazing move 66% of the time ignoring negative priority and is where everything comes full circle. See, because you spread paralysis to most of the opponent's team beforehand, that means you can potentially force uncontested switches off Sleep Talk and rack up free damage while the opponent can do nothing about it as you heal off almost anything they can dish out with Rest alone.

I shouldn't have to explain the EVs given the nature of the set. Rocky Helmet stacks up even more damage onto the opponent when combined with Rough Skin and accounting Dragon Tail and Stealth Rock on top of it all. Leftovers can be used over Rocky Helmet, but the set then loses out on a lot of tits bite and it truly isn't required given Cresselia's stupid defenses.

Now that you see the team's general win condition, you might have figured out what Druddlock is supposed to do. It's a team that locks the opponent from making any noticeable plays by utilizing this sort of setup. This gives people a general impression that the lock is easy to beat with stuff that can stick around for a long time or a team that can just ignore the chip damage dealt to it, which is where the ace in the hole comes in:

Heatran @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

This set is the secret to this team's success. Right when you think the entire team is a stall engine that focuses on racking up chip damage and you can win off attrition, you then come face-to-face with this walking tank that destroys almost anything that took prior damage if not just OHKOing them instead. Flamethrower is your mandatory STAB option (sorry no Fire Blast) while Flash Cannon is your secondary STAB nuke that hits almost as hard. Focus Blast is kind of a filler option, but it's the best one of the bunch despite its accuracy. Taunt disables any sort of stalling or passive play and can force switches or unfavorable outcomes by itself and, again, there aren't many other options to run over this.

The EVs are straightforward for a Pokemon that just wants to kill whatever is in its path. Life Orb and Sheer Force make the set stronger than it has any right to be and should always be set up as such. You can choose Timid if you want, just never drop that 252 Special Attack investment for anything. Flash Cannon can be swapped out for other coverage or utility moves depending on how you're feeling. Choice Scarf can be ran to further revenge kill, but the loss of Life Orb is still huge.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake

And finally, we have the team's resident Mega Evolution. Even though Druddigon doesn't have many tolerable boosting options, Power-up Punch is a close compromise that Mega Gyarados can use well. After that, it's smooth sailing with STAB Aqua Tail and priority Sucker Punch, with Earthquake as the best coverage tool that also bypasses pesky Levitate users in your path.

EVs are easy to understand, you can run Jolly instead if you want to. Rough Skin is chosen over the other two abilities as it actually does something remotely relevant before Mega evolving. In all honesty, this set is most often the weakest link of the entire team, so if you can find a better alternative then be my guest.

Ahh, I always loved this meta~

So, I'm going to post here a Follow the Leader team that I nearly topped the ladder with last generation, using one of the most unexpected leaders that virtually no one would expect or even think of at the time of its inception, and a team that still works well even to this day when piloted right.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you one of my proudest creations: DruddLock.
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/druddigon.gif
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/aerodactyl.gif
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/garchomp.gif
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/cresselia.gif
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/heatran.gif
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/gyarados-mega.gif

I know what you're thinking: "What the hell is this?" "What is this man thinking leading with DRUDDIGON out of all the possible options to choose from?" Well dear viewers, take a gander below as I explain my madness and provide other options if you so choose, as Druddigon grants the team options that surprisingly very few if any other donors can provide.

Druddigon @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch

As you may guess, Druddigon is most likely the weakest link and biggest outlier of the team. However, that doesn't mean he can't make himself useful. The main play here is to nuke a bulky problem with Devastating Drake and open a path for the rest of the team. Fire Punch and Gunk Shot are each strong coverage tools that get an additional boost from Sheer Force, while Sucker Punch is available to pick off limping attackers

The EVs maximize its attack stat and just creep past uninvested Magearna, while the rest is set to improve its general bulk. This is the set that can be adjusted as much as you like to fit your own personal goals; An Assault Vest variant could also work if you want more bulk over raw power, some Speed can be moved into more overall bulk, Earthquake can replace most of the moves listed, or it can play a bulky role with Dragon Tail and Glare itself.

But, we're not here to talk about Druddigon, but rather what Druddigon can enable the team to do. So, let's go over all of the cogs in the DruddLock engine and see exactly why using Druddigon over anything else can prove so beneficial, starting with the most basic enabler of the combo.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Aerodactyl acts as the classic suicide lead of Generation 4, reliably setting up Stealth Rock while Taunting anything it doesn't want to deal with. Rock Slide is the STAB move of choice that goes hand-in-hand with Aerodactyl's speed so you could also fish for some spicy flinches. Earthquake is a coverage slot that deals good damage to Steels that may want to try and wall you out.

EVs are pretty obvious on this one. Glare can be used as a tech option and Stone Edge can replace Rock Slide if you so wished.

Okay so you set up your Stealth Rocks nearly-uncontested, so what comes next?

Garchomp @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 24 Def / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Glare
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

Admittedly, this set was supposed to go to Zygarde. But, since it's banned for being too good in OU, I had to settle my differences with Garchomp instead. As you can see, this is the ParaShuffler set of old that paralyzes threats almost for free and then sets up a Substitute to ward off incoming attacks, then phazing them out with Dragon Tail to continue spreading the status. Earthquake rounds off the set as a complimentary STAB move that punishes Electric types that would otherwise be immune to Glare's paralysis.

The EVs maximize Garchomp's overall bulk and allow it to outrun max speed Base 100 Pokemon and either paralyze or EQ them. The HP EVs maximize its overall bulk while the remaining Defense EVs make it so unboosted Foul Play users can never break Substitute in one shot. Rough Skin is the preferred ability as it works so well with Substitute. You can choose to shift some Speed investment into its bulk or even Attack if you wanted.

Now you probably see this and Aerodactyl's set and are asking where all of this is going. What's all of this building up to in the end? Well...

Cresselia @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail
- Roar

Say hello to one of the most annoying win conditions you can craft. Even though Rest is unfortunately Druddigon's only recovery move available to it and its followers, Cresselia can make it work with its naturally-high bulk even without Leftovers! Dragon Tail and Roar both force the opponent out against Cresselia and force even more chip damage from Stealth Rock, resulting in their inevitable demise. Sleep Talk lets you roulette for an immediate phazing move 66% of the time ignoring negative priority and is where everything comes full circle. See, because you spread paralysis to most of the opponent's team beforehand, that means you can potentially force uncontested switches off Sleep Talk and rack up free damage while the opponent can do nothing about it as you heal off almost anything they can dish out with Rest alone.

I shouldn't have to explain the EVs given the nature of the set. Rocky Helmet stacks up even more damage onto the opponent when combined with Rough Skin and accounting Dragon Tail and Stealth Rock on top of it all. Leftovers can be used over Rocky Helmet, but the set then loses out on a lot of tits bite and it truly isn't required given Cresselia's stupid defenses.

Now that you see the team's general win condition, you might have figured out what Druddlock is supposed to do. It's a team that locks the opponent from making any noticeable plays by utilizing this sort of setup. This gives people a general impression that the lock is easy to beat with stuff that can stick around for a long time or a team that can just ignore the chip damage dealt to it, which is where the ace in the hole comes in:

Heatran @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

This set is the secret to this team's success. Right when you think the entire team is a stall engine that focuses on racking up chip damage and you can win off attrition, you then come face-to-face with this walking tank that destroys almost anything that took prior damage if not just OHKOing them instead. Flamethrower is your mandatory STAB option (sorry no Fire Blast) while Flash Cannon is your secondary STAB nuke that hits almost as hard. Focus Blast is kind of a filler option, but it's the best one of the bunch despite its accuracy. Taunt disables any sort of stalling or passive play and can force switches or unfavorable outcomes by itself and, again, there aren't many other options to run over this.

The EVs are straightforward for a Pokemon that just wants to kill whatever is in its path. Life Orb and Sheer Force make the set stronger than it has any right to be and should always be set up as such. You can choose Timid if you want, just never drop that 252 Special Attack investment for anything. Flash Cannon can be swapped out for other coverage or utility moves depending on how you're feeling. Choice Scarf can be ran to further revenge kill, but the loss of Life Orb is still huge.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake

And finally, we have the team's resident Mega Evolution. Even though Druddigon doesn't have many tolerable boosting options, Power-up Punch is a close compromise that Mega Gyarados can use well. After that, it's smooth sailing with STAB Aqua Tail and priority Sucker Punch, with Earthquake as the best coverage tool that also bypasses pesky Levitate users in your path.

EVs are easy to understand, you can run Jolly instead if you want to. Rough Skin is chosen over the other two abilities as it actually does something remotely relevant before Mega evolving. In all honesty, this set is most often the weakest link of the entire team, so if you can find a better alternative then be my guest.
I've considered druddingon, but I've never had its extra abilities make up for the fact that as a sheer force leader nidoking just kind of outclasses it. Have you been playing a lot of magic bounce?

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
celesteela walls it and mag dies eventually

I have yet to see an unaware umbreon in over 25 matches

that's pretty good damage, and chansey will take a while to kill sub latios or roost celesteela.

hoopa isn't going to survive a super effective hit or wall anything.
1. Magearna would have Recovery and STAB Moonblast, and access to Fire type attacks. You are dying long before Magearna.

2. Even If you have not seen it, doesnt change the fact that your team is hard walled by Dark type heavy teams.

3. Chansey would easily beat Latios because Latios cannot produce 101 HP subs, so it would be killed or Toxic stalled.

4. Dude gives you an answer to how to break past bulky Pokémon since your team cant do so. Then you complain that "it cant wall things?" Is your team bad stall or Stored Power spam? Pick one.

Hi everybody. After making 15+ teams, I finally made one that I really like. My main irritators inspirations for this team were Torkoal teams and all Kartana variants. Mawile, Magearna, D-Dance users, and Multiscale also came into mind. After noticing that there is a lack of bulky water pokemon, and a somewhat large usage of Fire types due to so many Steel types, I figured Water+Dark is the best offensive choice. Therefore: HYPER OFFENSE CRAWDAUNT TEAM!!!

The Team

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
This leader is definitely not dead weight. I prefer Jolly so he can out-speed base 100's at +1. Due to the hyper offense nature of this meta, it is hard to set up most of the time. So if I need to sac him, Aqua Jet can at least break Sashes and Multiscale. Against stall pokemon, however, Crawdaunt is great, as I can set up. Crabhammer and Knock Off always hit hard. Cresselias beware.

Greninja @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Aqua Jet
Special Water+Dark abuser. I needed Greninja to outspeed the oh so prevalent Mega Pidgeots. Ice Beam is solid 70%+ damage to it. Surf and Dark Pulse are solid offensive choices. Also sporting Aqua Jet, it hits surprisingly hard. Can deal 60% damage to Kyu-B with DP before getting killed. If Kartana is not scarfed, Greninja easily dispatches it. Serves both as a lead or as a late game cleaner.

These two are frail, so switching in on neutral moves is basically suicide. They can only switch in on resisted moves. They both have priority, but two Aqua Jets aren't enough in a meta full of Scarfers and Shell Smashers. In order to prevent those, the following are answers to those threats

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off
- X-Scissor
First answer to Scarves. Adaptability Superpower is so insanely strong, if the opponent doesnt have a Ghost type, he is in trouble, and even so, I have Knock Off and other Dark types on the team. It can 2HKO Celesteela even after the -1 drop. All Steel types that aren't neutral to Fighting get destroyed. Rock Slide is fantastic and X-Scissor is there for Hoopa-U and Grass types, although, Superpower kills the former anyway. Finally, Terrakion is great against Kartanas for two reasons: 1) if Kartana ain't Scarfed, Superpower kills it. 2) if it IS Scarfed, then Kartana will outspeed, giving me confirmation on its item. If case #2 happens, then in comes...

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Sludge Wave
- Surf
Second answer to Scarves (yes, two Scarves on this meta is must). I must say, Gengar used to be Alolan Ninetales. But after chartung17 made me remember how hard it is to kill Clefable and other Fairy types, I needed to get a fast Poison type. Therefore, Gengar was the choice. Kartana and Ninetales-A have 109 base speed, but Gengar has 110, guaranteeing no more speed ties. I chose HP Ghost over HP Fire, as against Steel types they deal the same damage, while also letting me OHKO opposing Ghosts. Sludge Wave is a truck, while Ice Beam and Surf are good coverage. Gengar also has two bonuses over Ninetales-A: 1) Extremespeed immunity, so I can sorta PP stall, and 2) T-Spikes removal.

Gyarados @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Aerial Ace
First answer to Shell Smash. I usually don't run three pokemon of the same type, but after Dodrio failed me as a sweeper + Ground immunity, I realized that Gyarados is a way better pick. The third Aqua Jetter on the team, I can reliably set up as a lead with Focus Sash, or mid game thanks to its awesome bulk. Aerial Ace is great coverage, and hits Kartana hard and 2HKO's Mega Venusaur. Keldeo, as long as its not running Thunderbolt, is easy prey to Gyarados.

Regarding the choice of giving a Sash to Gyarados but not Crawdaunt, there are several reasons:
1) Gyarados is only affected by Stealth Rock, while Crawdaunt is grounded and affected by all hazards, making it harder to preserve the Sash
2) Gyarados is faster and bulkier, making it easier and more worthwhile to set up
3) Crawdaunt could use more the immediate damage boost by LO
4) Having two sashes on the team is not that good, IMO. (Having two scarves, however, is a must, I'd say in this meta)

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Jet
- Toxic
Second answer to Shell Smash. Now, most of the team is an answer to Kartana. But who is the answer to Torkoal teams? This guy right here. And its secret is thanks to having Sand Stream as a Mega Ability. I used to find that decision by Game Freak weird, but in this meta I am loving it. Check it out:

With Adaptability, Tyranitar is stronger than Mega Tyranitar, while Mega is bulkier and has the Sp.Def boost thanks to Sandstorm. That duality keeps opponents on their toes: for example, on the first turn they deal 50% damage to Tyranitar, while I knock off their item. Then on the second turn, they're pretty sure they can kill me; however, I Mega Evolve and enhance my bulk, letting me survive and finish them off. Best part is, if I am going against a Sun team, bye bye Drought. The fourth and final Aqua Jetter, I can switch in on Scarfed Eruption Blacephalons, and just laugh as I almost KO them with an Aqua Jet, receive negligent damage by Eruption, and sit back as Sand Stream finishes them off.

Sand Stream also boosts Terrakion Sp.Def, which is nice as it has survived crucial hits that would otherwise kill Terrakion. Toxic is necessary, as no Unaware Cosmic Power user can OHKO Tyranitar, meaning that I can poison it. I am considering Taunt, however, as most of the time, Unaware Cosmic Power users are Steel type. The EVs are set up for max Atk, as Tyranitar is bulky enough and I need a high damage output.

As with all HO teams, sacrifices need to be made. In most cases, I just sac Crawdaunt, as it's the slowest. However, depending on the match, other members can be sac'd and you can still keep going. Again, due to the prevalence of Fire and Steel types, Water is a great offensive type. I have been in positions where I have no choice but to pick a part a Shell Smash'd opponent with 4 different Aqua Jets, and it's really fun. It's also fun to deal a last bit of sacrificial damage with Aqua Jet or Sandstorm before dying, shattering opponents hopes, Sashes, and Multiscales. I hope this team serves to turn things around in the remaining 3 weeks of the meta. Here are some replays, made with my alt to test how fast I can climb the ladder. I hope you enjoy using the team and watching the replays!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7followtheleader-942725979 (Aqua Jet Shenanigans)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7followtheleader-942731548 (Gozilla blocks the sun - with its sand)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7followtheleader-942734036 (General performance; note, I asked him about the tie, he didnt respond, and then I KO'd him)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7followtheleader-942737242 (Sand bulk and Gyarados setup)

And here are replays with the Ninetales-A team:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7followtheleader-942357798 (Solid 4-0 victory against Torkoal Sun team)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7followtheleader-942326255 (vs Kecleon Protean team)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7followtheleader-942319306 (vs Gyarados Rain team)

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet

Greninja @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Aqua Jet

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off
- X-Scissor

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Sludge Wave
- Surf

Gyarados @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Aerial Ace

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Jet
- Toxic

currently #34 on the ladder with this team

ohh noooo (Druddigon) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Glare
- Dragon Tail

mudamudamuda (Kartana) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Hone Claws
- Sucker Punch

wryyyyyy (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
- Hone Claws
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

oraoraora (Zeraora) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Taunt

rerorerorero (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon

roada rolla da (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Superpower

some observations: kartana is broken, clef is broken, priority spam is really good, scarf terrakion is scary, and cosmic power and stored power are rare but terrifying

Eelektross as a leader is interesting. Could support both steel, rock, and electric types with levitate while having very good variety to both special and physical sides. Also coil and hone claws can help other mons set up

I think I like this meta so far and I think what makes this meta interesting is seeing creative ways to deal with the your leader's weaknesses and making use of what they are good at.

Anyways, here's an update for my Persian-A Team (https://pokepast.es/faa7b8d5f21bdc1b):

Cresselia seems to be a pretty difficult mon to take down. It helps me deal with sweepers because of foul play punishing boosts and roar to remove boosts. Fur coat and rest let it live a while. Here are replays: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7followtheleader-946508452 , https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7followtheleader-946510035 . It does get overpowered by very very strong special attackers though.

Pinsir is there to make use of Fake Out + Feint and U-turn. I think having priority to finish off mons is useful.

On Keldeo, I usually don't use water pulse too much, so maybe that can be swapped with Switcheroo.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)