Multifaction/FFA Food Chain [POSTGAME, WON BY ASEK, CANCEROUS, DROOKEZ, WOLV AND ZORBEES]

Should phases be 48 hours long?

• Yes, both should be 48 hours long.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, both should be 24 hours long.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Discussion should be 48, Action should be 24.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Discussion should be 24, Action should be 48.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
As seen on The Genius!
GAME STATUS: POSTGAME: Check out the post!
Won by Asek, Cancerous, Drookez, Wolv, and zorbees.
Hello one and all, my name is CaffeineBoost and I have decided to bring a very unique FFA strategy game to you all from the Korean gameshow The Genius. Some of you may already be familiar with the show and this game but for those of you who either haven't watched the show or can't remember the game, I will explain the rules of Food Chain.

At the beginning of the game, you shall receive 1 of 13 roles. No two players shall receive the same role and all 13 roles will be in play.
You are all free to claim whichever role you want at any time you want as long as you don't provide screenshot evidence. Anything else (quoting the host or any private conversation or anything like that) is fair game.
Once you have received your role, you will peek at the role of a player of your choice. Once everybody has finished peeking at roles, the game shall begin.

In this game you will take on the role of an animal which is part of this food chain:
FoodChainPyramid.png
In this game, animals will try to attack other animals lower than themselves on the food chain. You may want to keep this diagram handy as it is a key part of the game.
What's even more key however is that each animal has its own characteristic. For those at a disadvantage on the food chain, a helpful ability is provided. For those higher up, the characteristic is a requirement. Each animal has its own win condition as well. For many, the aim is to survive. For some, another goal must be met. All information on what the roles do is public and can be found here:
SOMETHING I NEED TO CLARIFY: Somebody pointed this out. The Snake's win condition says "More than 9 people dead". This includes 9. If 9 people are dead at the end of the game, the snake wins.
Here are the PM's for each role: so stop trying to ask for proof.
FoodChainRoles.png

Each animal also has its own home habitat ad some animals are restricted from entering a certain habitat. The habitats play a key part in this game. I shall explain this during the explanation of how the cycles work.

This game will have 4 cycles in total. Each cycle lasts 48 hours and is comprised of a 24 hour Discussion phase followed by a 24 hour Action phase.

During the Discussion phase, players will be free to converse in this forum thread.
Players will also have to decide which of the four habitats they wish to reside in for the Action phase.
There are four habitats to choose from. Field, Forest, River, and Sky.
Each animal has a home habitat which it must return to the Action phase after residing in a habitat which isn't their home.
If for example the Lion decided to reside in the Forest for Cycle 1's Action phase, it must reside in its home habitat, the Field, for Cycle 2's Action phase. The Lion would be free to visit whatever habitat it wants in Cycle 3's Action phase (except the Sky which it cannot access).
During the discussion phase, you must DM the host (that's me) with your choice of habitat. You are required to do this even if you are forced to return to your home habitat. Failure to choose a habitat in the Discussion phase will result in a modkill.

During the Action phase, the habitats that players have chosen to reside in will be posted on the thread and players will not be allowed to post anything in this thread.
Each habitat will have its own quicktopic in which players residing in the habitat will communicate. OUTSIDE CONTACT IS FORBIDDEN DURING THIS PHASE.
Players may attack and attempt to eat other players during the Action phase by posting the following in the quicktopic:
ATTACK: Player
Please use this exact format when attacking a player.
During the Action phase, all attacks are resolved in the order that they were posted (this is not a gameplay mechanic you should ignore) and all deaths will be posted in an announcement. This announcement will not contain the specifics of each attack, only the players who died. This means only people who were in the habitat know who attacked who. Roles will not be revealed on death and players are free to talk even after they have been attacked until their death is officially announced.
Once this phase has ended, we move onto the next cycle.

Resolving attacks:
Several situations can occur when resolving attacks. This is how they are resolved.
  • If the Snake is attacked by any player, the attacking player is killed and the Snake lives.
  • If an attacking player is higher on the food chain than the player they attacked, they kill their attack target and eat them.
  • If an attacking player is on the same level of the food chain as the player they attacked, neither player dies.
  • If an attacking player is lower on the food chain than the player they attacked, neither player dies.
  • If all of the surviving members who have the Deer, Mallard, Otter and Rabbit roles are gathered in the same habitat, they cannot be killed.
  • A predator that fails to successfully attack another player during an action phase starves for one round.
The order of attacks is very important. I shall show an example of why this is.
Let's create a hypothetical situation where only the Mallard, Rabbit, Eagle and Crocodile are still alive (and the snake but we'll ignore the snake for now). The predators have already starved for one round.
The Mallard and the Eagle are in the Sky habitat. The Crocodile and the Rabbit are in the river habitat. The snake is elsewhere.
Attacks occur in the following order:
  1. The Eagle attacks the Mallard
  2. The Crocodile attacks the Rabbit
Resolving the attacks in this order gives us an interesting result. First, the Eagle attacks the Mallard and the Mallard is defenceless. The Mallard dies and the Eagle eats. Next, the Crocodile attacks the Rabbit, but the Rabbit's ability kicks in. Since the Rabbit is the only survivor out of the Deer, Mallard, Otter and Rabbit, the Rabbit does not die as all the surviving members of that group (i.e only the Rabbit) are in the same habitat. The Crocodile starves as a result and dies. In this situation, the Eagle and the Rabbit live. If the attacks had happened in the reverse order, then the Mallard and the Crocodile would survive and the Eagle and the Rabbit would be dead.

At the end of Cycle 4, the game will end and the results will be posted. All details will be revealed in a postgame where players shall hopefully discuss their strategies and the potential of a future game being hosted with the same or a similar ruleset.

Players that were modkilled will be awarded a game loss regardless of whether their win condition was achieved.

Those are the rules, now for the players! The first 13 players to apply shall get a spot. Other players who apply will be considered to be substitutes lest a player has to leave. If you have to leave by the way, please tell me instead of being modkilled.

Currently alive:
  1. Da Letter El
  2. apricity
  3. Asek
  4. zorbees
  5. Whydon
  6. MathTurtle
  7. Wolv
  8. ajhockeystar
  9. Trace
  10. ButteredToast
  11. Drookez
  12. XnadrojX
  13. Cancerous
Substitutes:
  • Steven Snype
  • Former Hope

Good luck to you all!

btw Zorbees approved this, just in case this is an important detail I need to include.

Last edited:

CaffeineBoost

In if this starts next week.
The aim is to start as soon as possible. I don't know whether you're implying this has to start within the week or whether it has to start 7 days from now in order for you to join.
At the rate I'm getting applications, I reckon the game will start on the 20th (give or take a day). Are you sure you want to join if this is the predicted start date?

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
The aim is to start as soon as possible. I don't know whether you're implying this has to start within the week or whether it has to start 7 days from now in order for you to join.
At the rate I'm getting applications, I reckon the game will start on the 20th (give or take a day). Are you sure you want to join if this is the predicted start date?
I'll be on/off for the second half of the week (including the weekend) with an rl commitment, probably popping in/out but I'll be at normal activity on the 25th. If you're okay with that, I'm fine with starting; otherwise put me in as a sub.

CaffeineBoost

I'll be on/off for the second half of the week (including the weekend) with an rl commitment, probably popping in/out but I'll be at normal activity on the 25th. If you're okay with that, I'm fine with starting; otherwise put me in as a sub.
I'll put you in as a sub. Sorry if you find this unfair, I'm just being cautious. I would like this game to run as smoothly as possible.

CaffeineBoost

SOMETHING I NEED TO CLARIFY: Somebody pointed this out. The Snake's win condition says "More than 9 people dead". This includes 9. If 9 people are dead at the end of the game, the snake wins.

I have added this to the Role List spoiler and the Snake's PM will include this clarification. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

CaffeineBoost

Sorry for the late update. There was an issue that had to be resolved before I could update the player list. Hope you don't mind.
As for the OC question, there is no OC during the Action phase only. This is to maintain accuracy as to how The Genius played the game out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)