Forest Fire - Dark Pulse's OU Sun team! [Peaked 75th]

My old RMT

^thanks to Neo Pikachu (from Serebii) for the Awesome pic!​

Hey Guys, I'm back with my old sun team! This time there are a few minor changes. This is my current PO team, and it used to be really successful, but the metagame changes, and now I'm starting to lose more than win. Which is why I came here! So here it is, the Forest Fire!

My team at a glance:​

The team-Building Process:​
So... I decided I wanted to build a new team! I Looked at a Sheer Force Team featuring a NIdoking, but couldn't find inspiration for partners...
It was then that I remembered hearing about Darmanitan. that LO+Drought+Sheer Force made one very strong Flare Blitz... so I decided to make a Drought team...
I started off with just those 2 Pokemon

That's when I remembered seeing Venusaur. I'd battled Drought teams before, and often had a Venusaur switch in to destroy my Toxic Spikes, then continue to sweep through me with seemingly godlike speed (it outsped my froslass, I knew it was boosted somehow)
so I looked up Venusaur, and found it's DW Ability to be Chlorophyl
I then added Venusaur to my team

After Figuring out Chlorophyl made Venusaur Faster than Deoxys-S with no investment (as long as sun was in play) I looked to find another Chlorophyl User. I found Leafeon

That made 4 Pokemon. I thought about using Harvest, hearing about how Tropius could PP Stall eternally in sun by using Synthesis @Leppa Berry/Harvest, so I thought of putting him in. Then I noticed Exeggutor also had Harvest... So I added him instead

Next up, I needed a Lead... After a fair bit of looking (well, not much) I decided on Heatran, as it could absorb Fire attacks my Grass types Hated, and was immune to Sandstorm Damage... And he had Access to the Rocks, that always helps...

Now with my team complete, I went off and tested battling
*still loses*
I found that Despite using Adamant, Focus Sashed SD Leafeon, I didn't have the coverage to do the damage I wanted to deal... After a lot of asking and arguing on PO, I found out that Sawsbuck had the Coverage I was looking for, despite the lack of speed and attack... So I swapped Leafeon for him

My last Change was Suggested by a moderater on the Smogon PO server called +Shrang. When I found myself with problems facing fire types, Rain teams, and Tyranitar. He suggested me using ChestoRest Kingdra, which has proved to be quite useful in my team... I swapped Exeggutor out for him

The team then went well... but it was having trouble with stall a bit... particularly rocks and spikes...
After asking around, I have decided to add Claydol as a dedicated Rapid Spinner/Stealth Rocker. Due to it's immunity to spikes, and resistance to SR, as well as having access to the much-needed spin+rocks...

Since then, I have decided that Forretress is a better option, but I may change back to Claydol at any given moment...
Forretress also adds that much needed steel-typing to take care of Powerful Outrages...

well that's my team as it is now! It's still having trouble with Stall, now it's T-wave - it screws up my speed and has that all-too annoying Paralysis effect, plus there's no clause, so often my entire team gets paralysed and theres nothing I can do about it...

---

After asking around here, I have swapped Kingdra for Dugtrio - and it was the best change I ever made! If I use him correctly, he kills anything this team has trouble with - T-tar, Poli, Hippo, Heatran, Volcarona, and so much more!!!

---

After a bit of testing, I have decided to swap Darmanitan for Arcanine - as suggested by New World Order (I think) - for better coverage and fire immunity (plus, Flash Fire boost > Sheer force, more power, AND I still have the burn chance)

-Under the Microscope-​

Howls {moving} Castle (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers [PICK MY NICKNAME TODAY!!!]
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

It wasn't a rock! It was a rock Lobster! This guy is my dedicated spinner/Rocker, and has spikes there so it can keep busy (and troll T-tar and Poli better). Volt Switch for extra momentum, and to run away from HP Fire abusing Magnetz (how do they work? It don matter now!)

RageFace (Venusaur) (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 204 HP / 136 Def / 160 SAtk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth

Meet RageFace, my Pride and Joy. This guy is my favourite Pokemon and my best ever creation. He has enough speed to beat anything non-scarfed, and enough Power to take down most of his threats, He also has a LOT of Bulk. 204 EV's is a leftovers No. on Venusaur, and his Bulk is dead even (EDIT: he has 1 less defence point, so that Download Pory-Z Doesn't get the SA boost)
Now, before you go complaining, yes, that IS a Black Sludge. I know the whole controversy about B-sludge being worse than Leftovers, but to be honest, I think Black Sludge is better, because nobody is going to Trick a Choice Scarf or Choice Specs on to this guy after he +2's, especially if they'll take extra damage from doing so...
This is the one Pokemon I won't accept any advice from, don't even bother trying to edit him, It took me too long to make.

TrollFace (Arcanine) (M) @ Life Orb [Pick my nickname today!!!]
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed

My Physical tyrant sweeper with Flare Blitz, and my unexpected T-tar and Poli check - I need to be fast though, unless I can OHKO them with Wild Charge or CC, I get OHKO'd by SE or H-Pump, so it's kinda a double-edged sword...

Grounded! (Dugtrio) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def/ / 228 Spd
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Reversal

Thanks a bunch to MasterofOz for this! It's the best change I ever made to this team! He's the perfect Revenge Killer - and he kills any threat to my team!!!
EDIT: Thanks to my IRL Brother for Grounded! (get it? You can't switch, you're grounded?)

Flower Power (Sawsbuck) (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Nature Power (EQ)
- Return

This guy is just amazing. Nature Power is Earthquake in Wi-fi, except for one thing:
It bypasses sucker Punch
This guy is my go-to-girl against Politoed. one Horn leech is an instant OHKO, as well as a free-heal if they go for a scarf Ice beam. 301 HP means he can survive 3 Seismic tosses without getting healing from Horn leech.

SD also allows me to boost his power to monumental levels, after a SD in the sun, both his Speed and attack reach over 500...
(note: Female is only for aesthetic reasons [Flower Power])

Naruto (Ninetales) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 188 HP / 64 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Protect
- Disable
- Flamethrower
- Toxic (Will-o-Wisp?)

and Finally, the most important member of my team, Ninetales - Thanks to HAHADaruma for the awesome trolly set - Protect on the first turn, predicting a powerful attack - then Disable it, Toxic, and stall! (so awesome) - Untested, but it looks so hilariously awesome!!!

DrizzleSwim? (Kingdra) (M) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 144 HP / 160 Atk / 40 SDef / 164 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Rest

swapped for Dugtrio

TrollFace (Darmanitan) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
- Superpower
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Where would RageFace be without a TrollFace around? This is Darmanitan, Pokemon's Biggest Troll since Electrode. Just look at his face, he's about to pound your head in, AND kill you with fire. U Jelly?
Swapped for Arcanine

thanks guys for taking the time to read my RMT, and I hope to get some Constructive critisism (GTFO if you aren't going to be constructive)
NOTE: 2 of my Pokemons need new Nicknames! (I always give trolly or funny nicknames, but sometimes I'm not creative enough) so I'm letting you pick them!!! If you can't think of any suggestions for my team, you can VM me the new names, (note: I will give credit for names)

A very effective. I know first hand.....
My only critique is that you team has a moderate weakness to Conkerdurr. Which can KO your Flower power and heal it self with drain punch.
Also if your Rock Lobster is gone your team would have much trouble with KOing, because Entry hazard are a large thing of what keeps this thing going.
However there is others on my team that can also give your team trouble.

But it's a good team considering it's sun.

Hi Dark Pulse, nice team.

I would for sure test out Volt Switch over Spikes on Forretress. Your team (as most weather teams are) isn't to worried about hazards or defense; Since many weather-based matches are fast, the extra momentum will probably be more beneficial than the passive hazard damage.

If you're going to run Power Swap on Ninetales, I'd run at least some speed EVs. Without them, you're outsped and KO'ed by many of the common CM users. If you decide against changing your spread, I'd remove Power Swap for Will-O-Wisp.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

@2sly - I'm definately swapping Spikes for Volt Switch, but I'm still tossing up as to whether or not to use Claydol again - I have a lot of trouble with T-wave, and Claydol being ground-type, as well as it providing DualScreens support that made RageFace the unstoppable tank it once was. But I'm gonna try Volt switch now...

EDIT: I just tried Volt switch, and beat a rain team with ease for the first time in god-knows how long. killed Poli after a poor switch-in, lol

Hey there,

First off, I see a weakness to Infernape: the SD set in particular can come in easily on Forretress, grab a boost and easily KO every single one of your members. I can't really see your Kingdra being useful bar in the ~15% of matches your opponent carries a Politoed (and you lose the weather war), so consider trying a Latias over it. You have plenty of sweepers, so a bulky Calm Mind or support set is probably the best fit for your team. Your team will likely also appreciate the added Ground immunity.

Support Latias @ Leftovers
Timid || 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Dragon Pulse | Recover / Wish | Roar | Reflect / Protect / Thunder Wave

Calm Mind Latias @ Leftovers
Timid || 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Calm Mind | Recover | Dragon Pulse | HP Fire / Substitute / Roar

I'm also not too sure about that Ninetales set you have there. Your team is very reliant on sunlight staying up, so I would go with the standard Specially Defensive version, which also allows you to revenge Excadrill without having to sacrifice Tales. Air Balloon is worth consideration over standard Lefties because of the fast-paced nature of your team, or you could go with ChestoRest for even more survivability.

Ninetales @ Leftovers / Air Balloon / Chesto Berry
Timid || 252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
Flamethrower | WOW / Toxic | Substitute / Rest | HP Fighting / Hypnosis / Protect

EDIT just saw your second post. If you're having status problems, give Safeguard on Ninetales a try? Magic Mirror Espeon also seems to do Claydol's job better: screens, blocking rocks and status. GL!
Thanks a bunch sirndpt. This helps a lot. The thing is. Kingdra is actually more of a Sand counter than a Rain counter for me. As It allows me to kill Tyranitar and Hippowdon quite easily. Sawsbuck is actually my switch-in against Politoed. However, Rain is a lot more common than 15% IMO and I am having a little bit of grief battling such teams.

As for Tales, I don't really see too much of a point for Air balloon except as a switch-in for a predicted EQ from something like T-tar or Hippowdon. Other than that, Leftovers recovery seems better. I'll give it a try though...

Although, I'm definately going to give espeon a go. Maybe with a gimmicky sunny day set just to troll opponents if/when I lose a weather war (lol, probably not xD)

...what would you say is the best set for Espeon? I'll look it up, but still...

In sand, how do you handle outraging dragons?

If you have trouble with those, try making forry physically defensive, then at least you'll be able to gyro ball their shit up without being 2HKOed

Looks to be a pretty good team, with the only thing I see weird is Kingdra. Darmanitan should have a Scarf or Band, however. Scarf makes it a phenomenal revenge killer while Band makes it a nigh unstoppable tank of destruction. Band also helps net 2HKO's on Kingdra and Swampert when in the sun. Good Luck!

Is Jolly on Sawsbuck really necessary? It's fast enough with Chlorophyll that you could get even more power with Adamant (maybe not needing a Swords Dance all the time?).

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ooof... The first thing I noticed was your only fire absorber is Kingdra, who, under the sun, is really limited to one move. This can be easily fixed by swapping Darmanitan for Arcanine. Not only can Arcanine benefit the entire team with Flash Fire, but like Sawsbuck, it discourages Tyranitar and Politoed from switching in, as it can dispatch them with Close Combat and Wild Charge respectively. Morning Sun for more survivability, ES if you want an emergency check to fast threats like Thundurus. An interesting fact: Assuming they both have max attack and carry no item, Arcanine's Flash Fire boosted Flare Blitzes outdamage Darmanitan's Sheer Force Flare Blitzes.

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Flash Fire
Adamant
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Hp
Flare Blitz
Close Combat
Wild Charge
Extremespeed/ Morning Sun

Wait, this has just created an interesting effect. Now your 3 main sun abusers (Venusaur, Sawsbuck, and Arcanine) all have ways to hit opposing weather summoners hard. This means that Kingdra's role as a designated rain check isn't really necessary. This team looks like its gonna have some serious problems against fighting types (lets be honest Venusaur isn't that great a method for checking the powerful fighting types of OU). The team is also going to have a lot of trouble against dragons, especially Salamence and Dragonite who wall most of the team and can shred with Fire Blast/ Fire Punch and Outrage. I suggest using a Slowbro. With Regenerator, it can switch in and out easily. Its bulk allows it to endure the powerful onslaught of fighting attacks and outrages, and retaliate with Psychic and Ice Beam respectively. It can even take non CB Tyranitar's Pursuits and heal a good chunk of the damage off as you switch back in. You retain your all important water resist, and its not like Slowbro's a slouch offensively either.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Regenerator
Bold
252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 SpA
Psychic
Ice Beam
Fire Blast (yeahh, now its a pseudo STAB)
Slack Off

Also, why is Sawsbuck carrying a Focus Sash? Yeah you have Forretress, but all an opposing sand team needs to do is change the weather and your Sawsbuck now has no item. With its very modest attack stat, Sawsbuck isn't much of a power hitter. I suggest running Life Orb instead. While you may turn into a ticking time bomb, the number of 3HKOs you turn into 2HKOs and number of 2HKOs you turn into OHKOs is worth it.

Personally I would drop Gyro Ball for Volt Switch since you can see Mag switchins from a mile away. But its not really that big a deal. If you choose to do so, swap your nature to Calm and return the speed IVs to 0. One more thing: DO NOT drop Spikes. For a sun team, Spikes is absolutely without a doubt the superior entry hazard. Tyranitar and Politoed are both SR resists and neutral respectively. Meaning that with one layer of Spikes, Ttar is hurt more on the switchin, and Politoed is hurt equally. In weather wars, I suggest ignoring SR completely and just start stacking Spikes whenever you get the opportunity. Ninetails has no business combating Ttar and Politoed, so you need to limit Ttar and Politoed switchins as much as possible.

P.S. Could someone please inform me what this controversy about Black Sludge being worse than Leftovers on a poison type is?

dunno why it's Jolly - I'll change it now >_<

Looks to be a pretty good team, with the only thing I see weird is Kingdra. Darmanitan should have a Scarf or Band, however. Scarf makes it a phenomenal revenge killer while Band makes it a nigh unstoppable tank of destruction. Band also helps net 2HKO's on Kingdra and Swampert when in the sun. Good Luck!
The problem with Band (or scarf) is that I won't be able to change attacks. LO Gives enough Power to his attacks, and on Rock Slide and Flare Blitz, provides no recoil (but still the boost) - It still gives me enough to OHKO Latios, and 2HKO Latias and Swampert - I don't really need him to have the extra band power, and the Scarf speed can be achieved with Sawsbuck and Venusaur. Thanks though, I might have a look though (scarf probably, not band)

----------

Ooof... The first thing I noticed was your only fire absorber is Kingdra, who, under the sun, is really limited to one move. This can be easily fixed by swapping Darmanitan for Arcanine. Not only can Arcanine benefit the entire team with Flash Fire, but like Sawsbuck, it discourages Tyranitar and Politoed from switching in, as it can dispatch them with Close Combat and Wild Charge respectively. Morning Sun for more survivability, ES if you want an emergency check to fast threats like Thundurus. An interesting fact: Assuming they both have max attack and carry no item, Arcanine's Flash Fire boosted Flare Blitzes outdamage Darmanitan's Sheer Force Flare Blitzes.

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Flash Fire
Adamant
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Hp
Flare Blitz
Close Combat
Wild Charge
Extremespeed/ Morning Sun

Wait, this has just created an interesting effect. Now your 3 main sun abusers (Venusaur, Sawsbuck, and Arcanine) all have ways to hit opposing weather summoners hard. This means that Kingdra's role as a designated rain check isn't really necessary. This team looks like its gonna have some serious problems against fighting types (lets be honest Venusaur isn't that great a method for checking the powerful fighting types of OU). The team is also going to have a lot of trouble against dragons, especially Salamence and Dragonite who wall most of the team and can shred with Fire Blast/ Fire Punch and Outrage. I suggest using a Slowbro. With Regenerator, it can switch in and out easily. Its bulk allows it to endure the powerful onslaught of fighting attacks and outrages, and retaliate with Psychic and Ice Beam respectively. It can even take non CB Tyranitar's Pursuits and heal a good chunk of the damage off as you switch back in. You retain your all important water resist, and its not like Slowbro's a slouch offensively either.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Regenerator
Bold
252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 SpA
Psychic
Ice Beam
Fire Blast (yeahh, now its a pseudo STAB)
Slack Off

Also, why is Sawsbuck carrying a Focus Sash? Yeah you have Forretress, but all an opposing sand team needs to do is change the weather and your Sawsbuck now has no item. With its very modest attack stat, Sawsbuck isn't much of a power hitter. I suggest running Life Orb instead. While you may turn into a ticking time bomb, the number of 3HKOs you turn into 2HKOs and number of 2HKOs you turn into OHKOs is worth it.

Personally I would drop Gyro Ball for Volt Switch since you can see Mag switchins from a mile away. But its not really that big a deal. If you choose to do so, swap your nature to Calm and return the speed IVs to 0. One more thing: DO NOT drop Spikes. For a sun team, Spikes is absolutely without a doubt the superior entry hazard. Tyranitar and Politoed are both SR resists and neutral respectively. Meaning that with one layer of Spikes, Ttar is hurt more on the switchin, and Politoed is hurt equally. In weather wars, I suggest ignoring SR completely and just start stacking Spikes whenever you get the opportunity. Ninetails has no business combating Ttar and Politoed, so you need to limit Ttar and Politoed switchins as much as possible.

P.S. Could someone please inform me what this controversy about Black Sludge being worse than Leftovers on a poison type is?
^Many say B-sludge is worse Because Trick users can swap it over to one of your other Pokemon at any time, meaning you get stuck with not only a choice-locked Poke, but also one that is essentially poisoned.

Ninetales also provides fire absorbancy, and the only fire-type that can't take Dragon-type attacks is Heatran - who gets OHKO'd and outsped by Darmanitan.

As for Arcanine, It seems ok, meaning I can unexpectedly kill Poli, but without access to Rock Slide, it won't be able to hit Dragonite, so I'd need to find some other way to take Dragonite out :/

As for Slowbro, hmm... I'll try, perhaps for a replacement of forry...
(EDIT: oh, ok >_>)

Sawsbuck is Sashed because it allows him to SD up without dying... allowing him to reach +500 attack - enough to sweep just as good as Saur (he also works well in rain, being the best Toxicroak counter with Nature Power)

hmm. So you say swap out Gyro ball for V-switch? Hmmm... uh ok I guess... But Spikes take too long to set up, and give real opportunity for opposing pokes (BTW I tried Espeon - it didn't work too well - requires too much prediction)

Once again, thanks all for the help, I'll update the team to it's current state in a few minutes...

This is a great sun team Dark Pulse,very offensive and I liked because it can be made in the DS

Actually and if don't bother to you, i'm going to test your team with the pokemon that New World Order has said some day, because it looks very interesting and if the mine isn't work. maybe I make in the Ds your team

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
^Many say B-sludge is worse Because Trick users can swap it over to one of your other Pokemon at any time, meaning you get stuck with not only a choice-locked Poke, but also one that is essentially poisoned.

Ninetales also provides fire absorbancy, and the only fire-type that can't take Dragon-type attacks is Heatran - who gets OHKO'd and outsped by Darmanitan.

As for Arcanine, It seems ok, meaning I can unexpectedly kill Poli, but without access to Rock Slide, it won't be able to hit Dragonite, so I'd need to find some other way to take Dragonite out :/

As for Slowbro, hmm... I'll try, perhaps for a replacement of forry...
(EDIT: oh, ok >_>)

Sawsbuck is Sashed because it allows him to SD up without dying... allowing him to reach +500 attack - enough to sweep just as good as Saur (he also works well in rain, being the best Toxicroak counter with Nature Power)

hmm. So you say swap out Gyro ball for V-switch? Hmmm... uh ok I guess... But Spikes take too long to set up, and give real opportunity for opposing pokes (BTW I tried Espeon - it didn't work too well - requires too much prediction)

Once again, thanks all for the help, I'll update the team to it's current state in a few minutes...
Meh, if I think my opponent is going to trick the Black Sludge back to me, I usually just switch in the poison type, since usually, the reason it successfully trickede me in the first place was because said poison type is a good check to the trickster. Meaning the opponent is locked into trick and I get a free turn.

For your Dragonite concerns, I need to emphasize that Slowbro is a BEAST! Both figuratively and literally. How its not in OU baffles me.

Even CBNite's Outrage only does 50.1%-60.2% to Slowbro (with Leftovers), who can KO back with Ice beam provided SR is up. But then again, Darmanitan needs SR up to kill Dragonite with Rock Slide as well.

It can't even be overwhelmed from checking too many threats! Because of Regenerator, after beasting a DD Mence Outrage and dropping it with Ice Beam, Slowbro can simply switch out and come back later to counter Terrakion as well at optimum health.

The Espeon arguement is one that will always be prevelent on Sun Teams. I like Espeon, personally, not only because of his inate ability to block statuses that cripple sun and troll hazards/stall, but also the access to screens as well as 297 SpA with just 4 investment. The set I would run is:
Espeon @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252HP/ 4SpA/ 252 Spd
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psyshock
-HP Whatever

Moves are pretty self explainatory, Hidden Power is your preference. Plenty of options for you to consider. GLB

Hey there.

First off, run Life Orb on Sawsbuck over Leftovers. Life Orb grants Sawsbuck with the attack power it needs so much; Horn Leech can recover HP lost from Life Orb so Life Orb stalling is not that much of a problem.

Kingdra seems like it would only be useful against rain teams; instead of taking advantage of the opponent's weather, why don't you take it out instead? This will allow your own weather to flourish, and if opposing weather teams lose the weather battle to sun, it's basically game over. For this reason, replace Kingdra with a Dugtrio.

Focus Sash Dugtrio
Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Reversal

Dugtrio can basically win you games, decimating the opponent's Tyranitar or Politoed. A combo of Earthquake + Reversal (assuming they take you down to your Focus Sash) 2HKO's all versions of Politoed besides defensive variants. Stone Edge stops Dugtrio from being set up fodder for the likes of Gyarados, and can easily take out threats such as Volcarona.

Since you now have a Dugtrio, replace Gyro Ball on Forretress with Volt Switch. Volt Switch can be extremely useful, allowing Forretress to bring in Dugtrio on common switch-ins such as Heatran and finish them off. It also allows Forretress to not be complete set-up fodder to the likes of Gyarados.

Finally, run a Choice Scarf over Life Orb on Darmanitan. This will let you check threats such as +1 Dragonite who you otherwise have a hard time dealing with; it also stops your entire team from being too slow if you lose the weather battle.

Hope I helped! Good luck.

And if you do decide you forego Forretress for Espeon, Dugtrio is almost necessary at that point. Espeon will lure in opponent Tyranitar, allowing you to switch to Dugtrio and smash face. Enjoy.

Hey there.

First off, run Life Orb on Sawsbuck over Leftovers. Life Orb grants Sawsbuck with the attack power it needs so much; Horn Leech can recover HP lost from Life Orb so Life Orb stalling is not that much of a problem.

Kingdra seems like it would only be useful against rain teams; instead of taking advantage of the opponent's weather, why don't you take it out instead? This will allow your own weather to flourish, and if opposing weather teams lose the weather battle to sun, it's basically game over. For this reason, replace Kingdra with a Dugtrio.

Focus Sash Dugtrio
Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Reversal

Dugtrio can basically win you games, decimating the opponent's Tyranitar or Politoed. A combo of Earthquake + Reversal (assuming they take you down to your Focus Sash) 2HKO's all versions of Politoed besides defensive variants. Stone Edge stops Dugtrio from being set up fodder for the likes of Gyarados, and can easily take out threats such as Volcarona.

Since you now have a Dugtrio, replace Gyro Ball on Forretress with Volt Switch. Volt Switch can be extremely useful, allowing Forretress to bring in Dugtrio on common switch-ins such as Heatran and finish them off. It also allows Forretress to not be complete set-up fodder to the likes of Gyarados.

Finally, run a Choice Scarf over Life Orb on Darmanitan. This will let you check threats such as +1 Dragonite who you otherwise have a hard time dealing with; it also stops your entire team from being too slow if you lose the weather battle.

Hope I helped! Good luck.
...uh, Sawsbuck has Focus Sash, not leftovers >_> - and SD gives me all the power I need, not to mention that LO would make it really hard to kill Tyranitar (it's already impossible without an SD boost, good prediction or some HAX...)

Secondly, Kingdra isn't just for Rain - It's my anti-lead, I simply DD in the face of any opposing lead, and then Waterfall or Outrage them to death. After that, He's my Main fire absorber and check for T-tar and Hippo. If they switch out, I DD up and kill Excadrill (only safe switch-in is forry, which is met by a Darmanitan)
Having that said... Dugtrio DOES seem like a nice option... but how can it kill Poli? I doubt that it would have the power to 2HKO it with EQ without a band...

finally, Choice scarf Darmanitan is not only weaker, but unable to switch moves easily, meaning that I'm stuck on Flare Blitz if they switch to from Forry to T-tar or (BAN ME PLEASE), or Stuck Superpowering Forry if they don't... I much prefer the extra versatility LO gives, and I don't really need the speed much... It outspeeds all the things it counters...

I'll give Trio a go, but I think Kingdra can do more roles, where as Trio is too single-focused IMO (and If I have Trio, there is no way I would scarf Darmanitan, because Trio does every Job Darmanitan can do)

Meh, if I think my opponent is going to trick the Black Sludge back to me, I usually just switch in the poison type, since usually, the reason it successfully trickede me in the first place was because said poison type is a good check to the trickster. Meaning the opponent is locked into trick and I get a free turn.

For your Dragonite concerns, I need to emphasize that Slowbro is a BEAST! Both figuratively and literally. How its not in OU baffles me.

Even CBNite's Outrage only does 50.1%-60.2% to Slowbro (with Leftovers), who can KO back with Ice beam provided SR is up. But then again, Darmanitan needs SR up to kill Dragonite with Rock Slide as well.

It can't even be overwhelmed from checking too many threats! Because of Regenerator, after beasting a DD Mence Outrage and dropping it with Ice Beam, Slowbro can simply switch out and come back later to counter Terrakion as well at optimum health.
I say D-nite, but This really extends to All Dragon/Flying types. Even so, I'm sure that Slowbro can absorb a lot more attacks than RageFace, meaning that my concerns with the above post are fixed... (but then where do I put Trio in)
Although, I tried Arcanine, and I must say, I'm sticking with Darmanitan. - Arcanine cant OHKO (BAN ME PLEASE) with Flare Blitz, and Darmanitan is faster (and therefore can kill Gliscor)

will do the rest later, lil busy atm

Hi, nice sun team.
You said you were unsure about your ninetales so I might just suggest a set:
Timid
Leftovers
EVs: 188 HP, 64 SpAtk, 252 Spe
Protect
Disable
Flamethrower
Toxic

With this set you can harass, toxic stall (e.g. Toxic on switch, protect against strong opponent move, disable aforementioned move, protect stall/force switch) and clean 2KO gliscor with flamethrower who was always a pain for my sun team (paired with ttar).

Its a bit of a weird set and I don't know if it'll work with your team but best of luck anyway.

Yeah sorry about the typo, I meant Focus Sash not Leftovers >_<
If you're facing Tyranitar, sash would just get nullified by sandstorm, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Also, EQ + Reversal KO's all non defensive versions of Politoed. And Hippo is pretty rare, and Dugtrio can easily take out Tyranitar.

No, no, no and no

Ok, first of all, I've already switched to Dugtrio, and it's absolutely brilliant, except that for some reason people bring latios in on it, which it can't even 2HKO with sucker punch

secondly, I already explained that Focus sash allows me to set up SD freely in the sun, meaning that I get a devastating 598 attack stat with no choice lock or LO recoil. As for battling T-Tar, I 2HKO it with horn leech either way, so the recoil doesn't really do anything good there...

As I already explained, (Seriously, read my comments, I can't update the op yet, I'm busy!) Scarf on Darmanitan really achieves nothing. Life orb allows for much more power and versatility, and thanks to sheer force, at no cost on Rock slide or Flare blitz. Plus, thanks to trio, Scarf becomes redundant, as Trio does all the revenge killing...

Ugh! I said don't even bother with Venasaur! I use the bulky set to allow more chance of getting a successful growth up, and with rock support, I can OHKO all of my counters with those three moves. (BAN ME PLEASE) excepted.
And I already have a sleep move, why would I use 2. Sleep clause, bro. Plus Sludge bomb is my main move. Without it, I'm completely walled by dragons...

Now Ninetales, I do need a new set, but I don't need another sweeper. I want something that can take a few hits, so I think I'll just swap hypnosis for willowisp

Please read my posts. I have repeating myself, and I don't have the time to update the op yet. But here are my current changes:

-Volt switch over Gyro Ball
-Dugtrio over Kingdra
-contemplating Slowbro over Darmanitan, but probs not
EDIT: here we go new world order - what did I tell you? People think lefties is better - I already told you guys not to bother with Venasaur! Venasaur is the best it can be and this custom set, which took weeks to make is far better than any set out there! The only reason one might consider it inferior to the max/max timid variety is due to Venasaur vs Venasaur - I'm not stupid, I'd switch Sawsbuck @sash in

I know this is a doublepost but blame my browser

at haha - What I mean is that life orb does worse, as I die faster, where as if they switch t-tar in on my SD, I can hit back with much more power, and be sure I won't get OHKO'd by whatever poke I'm up against. The sash is so I can survive that extra turn. It's not just for t-tar... It allows me to kill subs on breloom, and many other similar things. It also helps vs Toxicroak, which as I said this guy is a brilliant check...

At the tales set - LOL - THAT SET IS SO ME! I am very much a troll in battle, and I love annoying opponents - that set looks like so much fun to play! You get 1 electrode for that awesome set

at myself - wow, ninja'd by 2 people... Proof a phone with on qwerty really sucks

pseudo Bump because I've updated the OP

Aaaand to make this productive - here's my current threat list:

Heatran - Killed by Darmanitan, Sawsbuck (after balloon kill'd) and Dugtrio
T-tar - Darmanitan or Dugtrio
Poli - Sawsbuck or Dugtrio
Hippowdon - sorta Dugtrio, and Sawsbuck/Venusaur
anything with T-wave

Something I'll notice is that Thundurus and Scizor can cause problems for this team. Thundurus gets rid of both of your chlorophyll users, and Scizor, if it gets the chance to attack without Ninetales and Darmanitan in play, can eat you for breakfast too, or at least dent something. (That would be if it didn't have time to set up against Rageface.) Also, if Scizor can predict the switch, it can OHKO Damanitan with a Superpower. It's really hard to set up all entry hazards, especially since Foretress' spc. def and HP are mediocre. I'd say get rid of Spikes, (Toxic Spikes are better IMO), and give it HP Fire. That would severely hurt a Scizor, even without EV investment.. The problem with Thundurus is priority T-wave, which ruins Rageface's and Flower Power's days. That one is simple to counter though. Send in the Trio. Also, I can imagine guys like Gliscor cause a lot of problems with everything except Trollface and Rageface (because you've said Trollface OHKOs and Rageface is mixed.) I don't know what to substitute for HP Ice. Finally, give Ninetales Focus Blast over Disable! It's far more useful in the longrun, with T-tars being like ants. They're everywhere! After a Will-O-Wisp, Ninetales can easily single-handedly take out T-tars.

Thanks for the feedback bro, but RageFace OHKO's both of those guys, and if it's forry, I simply volt switch, that way Forry takes the hit instead of his allies... The s-def is so he tanks draco meteor

as for tales, no way! I hate focus blast! It has Crap accuracy, and this set is meant to stall, and it does it so well - I can kill anything slower than me with it, except Blissey and Reuniclus, and even them I can pp stall... This is so far the best set for Ninetales as a stand-alone poke, so sorry, but I'm keeping it

note - I'm re-testing Arcanine, as flash fire is a real asset...

now, I really dislike bumping threads, but I'm still having trouble with sand teams that use Hippowdon (most of them are stall teams) and would like to ask for more assistance on that. I need a better way to break stall...

i think this team is solid. i just dont bother making weather teams because its no fun getting into a weather war for 100 turns only to lose your inducer. but you dark pulse, you, have the skillz to pull this team of (see what i did there? i put skillz instead of skills!). ok, enough jokes aside, i think you could do with a t-waver, or sleep inducer like tangrowth, because you said you get wrecked by t-wave, right? make it a sub-seeder, and give it chlorophyl to combat speed. and Vióla! instant paralysis. also, most teams that have trouble with paralysis, generally use t-wave to counter it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)