Forme names in teambuilder and battles in PS

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey there,
A long time ago, we saw a "problem" with the way names are presented for formes. While the "species" should remain as-is, the chosen name for a forme Pokémon should be the base forme name to stay true to the game. Reviewing all the stuff I never finished and things to do, I've tackled this issue again and I think this is something worth a discussion.

Thing is, when for instance you use a Rotom-Wash, teambuilder would show Nickname: Rotom, Pokémon: Rotom-Wash. In battle, this would be shown as Rotom (Rotom-Wash). So, the ideas are:
  • Keep it as it is right now: Rotom-Wash, or Nickname (Rotom-Wash) [On tooltip, only shows nickname in battle]
  • Show the forme name in parenthesis as if the base species name is a nickname: Rotom (Rotom-Wash) [On tooltip, would display Rotom in battle]
  • Update PS so formes are shown below the name: Rotom Forme: Wash, Nickname (Rotom Forme: Wash) [On tooltip, battle keeps only showing nickname, it's a matter of style when showing the forme compared to the previous option]
For more info: https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown-Client/pull/92

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I prefer option 2, which I've been pulling for for a while. Or maybe a slight variant on option 3 where the nickname is Rotom, and the name is Rotom Forme: Wash. Having the forme names on the line not only isn't true to the game but gets stupidly long in the case of something like Thundurus-Therian; on the rare case I'm not feeling lazy I always manually nickname my "formed" Pokemon to the base forme and i guess it'd be nice if PS did it for me.

pictured: why method #1 isnt ok

edit: i misunderstood #3, it would only display as "Thundurus" for the nickname but the tooltip would say the full thing

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I prefer option 2, which I've been pulling for for a while. Or maybe a slight variant on option 3 where the nickname is Rotom, and the name is Rotom Forme: Wash. Having the forme names on the line not only isn't true to the game but gets stupidly long in the case of something like Thundurus-Therian; on the rare case I'm not feeling lazy I always manually nickname my "formed" Pokemon to the base forme and i guess it'd be nice if PS did it for me.

pictured: why method #1 isnt ok

edit: i misunderstood #3, it would only display as "Thundurus" for the nickname but the tooltip would say the full thing
I don't think this is addressing changing the default nicknames (I thought so at first too). This is only addressing what would be displayed when you hover over the pokemon. The default names will still probably remain the same.

And if that's the case I don't think there needs to be a change. We already know that an Arceus-Ground's base form is an Arceus or that Thundurus-Therian's base form is Thundurus. I go with option 1.

But I agree with Stratos that the form names shouldn't be the default names, especially since as you said you want to "stay true to the game". Landorus-Therian are still displayed as "Landorus" in the games.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
We can use various methods to resize names so e.g. "Thundurus-Therian" still fits, if that's your only objection.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
that'd be great, though there is still the fact that in-game the default nickname of a pokemon with a forme is still just the species name

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Mostly, I'm fine with that, I just don't know how to phrase the messages in a way that makes it clear what forme it's in.

Like, currently, it's like:

name: Fluffy
Bob sent in Fluffy (Rotom-Wash)!​

name: Rotom-Wash
Bob sent in Rotom-Wash!​

name: Rotom
Bob sent in Rotom (Rotom-Wash)!​

How would you rephrase these messages if the default name were "Rotom" instead of "Rotom-Wash"?

Stratos

Banned deucer.
name: fluffy

Bob sent in Fluffy (Rotom-Wash)!

name: rotom-wash

Bob sent in Rotom-Wash (Rotom-Wash)! OR Bob sent in Rotom-Wash! <-either works depending on which you prefer/which doesn't require changing code

name: rotom

Bob sent in Rotom (Rotom-Wash)!

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Stratos said:
Bob sent in Rotom-Wash (Rotom-Wash)! OR Bob sent in Rotom-Wash!
There's no reason to express a nickname if there isn't one; the latter is optimal. If you'd rather every forme be expressed as "Rotom (Rotom-Wash)", then that also works, but otherwise it's excessive.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
There's no reason to express a nickname if there isn't one; the latter is optimal. If you'd rather every forme be expressed as "Rotom (Rotom-Wash)", then that also works, but otherwise it's excessive.
The thing is, "Rotom-Wash" would be a nickname, since its real species name is "Rotom".

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I think we're crossing signals. The suggestion was for the species name to remain Rotom-Wash, but the default nickname to be set to Rotom; ie to decouple the default nickname from the species name with alternate-forme Pokemon so that the default nickname matches cart.

(Yeah we'd match cart even more closely if we changed the species name as well but having the species name be different is necessary for when sprites are broken and stuff)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)