upload_2015-2-22_2-7-29.png
upload_2015-2-22_2-7-40.png
upload_2015-2-22_2-7-47.png
upload_2015-2-22_2-8-0.png
upload_2015-2-22_2-8-12.png
upload_2015-2-22_2-8-23.png
~

Drawing (16).png

Hey guys Can-Eh-Dian here with an NU RMT, my first since ORAS came out. This RMT marks almost a year since I first joined Smogon, and it's cool to look back and think about all the new friends I made over this year and the impact that the NU community has made on me. I went from complete scrub to Room Moderator and actually learned how to become a decent competitive Pokemon player. Because beautiful RMT's are what drove me to Smogon in the first place, I've always tried to make my RMT's as good-looking and inviting as possible (not like
this masterpiece) to try and attract users like myself to join the Smogon community. I'm hoping that the NU community, and the Smogon community in general doesn't let the RMT forum die out and will get back to the good days of RMT posting. Now enough about me and my rant, let me talk about the team. I had originally made this team when the February drops happened and I was super excited to make a team around Virizion. After experimenting around with some Semi-Stall, Hyper Offense and Balance builds, I decided that if I was going to make a good fun team to get reqs with I would have to go back to my Bulky Offense roots. When building, I tried to steer clear from the generic Yama/Lix/Typh/Xatu or Mantine/Helio/Filler that everyone and their mother had "innovated" on the ladder. Although there are some elements of that type of build in this team, I feel like it's about as different and fun as a successful team can be in this meta. This is also the team that has popularized Defog Drifblim as an actual viable mon in this meta and more people should definitely use it as it provides a shit-ton of utility for a Bulky Offense team. This is the team that I used to get reqs under the alt "Wrong Dongerhood" with an overall record of 39-9 while simultaneously ending up top 10 on the ladder. The RMT is called Four Five Seconds because I really like the song and if you hate my taste in music I agree, I have no taste in music. Anyways, enough of this long ass intro and let's get into the real meat and potatoes of this RMT.

Drawing (15).png

upload_2015-2-22_2-10-32.png

This team started out like pretty much all my other teams, I'm in a late night call with Tennis and I have a really bad idea that's probably really fun to use. This bad idea was a core of Scarf Flareon and Sub CM Virizion. The original idea was that Scarf Flareon baits in and kills a lot of the shit that's faster than Virizion like Heliolisk or Archeops, and OHKOing them with Flare Blitz and Iron Tail respectively. Flareon also beats all the Fire types that Sub/CM/Giga/HP Ice Virizion can't beat while still maintaining momentum with BP.

I realized that there were still mons like Swellow and Sneasel that outsped Scarf Flareon and checked Virizion, I decided to throw on a Mega Steelix as it is the premier Normal and Flying resist in the tier, as well as the fact that I wanted to use it during laddering to solidify my Ban/No Ban Opinion.

I decided to add Lanturn next because I knew that it had incredible defensive and offensive synergy with my team as of this point. It completes the Fire/Water/Grass core that I love to use on Bulky Offensive teams as well as being able to check offensive Fire Types and Heliolisk. I really like offensive Lanturn with Lefties over Specs Lanturn because passive lefties is fucking amazing and the fact that I don't have to predict is also cool.

upload_2015-2-22_2-11-37.png

I looked at my team and realized that there were absolutely 0 fighting resists, and mons like Hariyama and Sawk could just run all over me. To keep with the offensive nature of the team, I decided to go with Colbur Berry Mesprit as it could switch into any fighting type in the tier at least once. It also maintained a lot of offensive pressure on the opposing team, while still being of use late-game due to Healing Wish.

When it came to choosing my last mon, I was struggling to find the right fit. I knew that Mesprit wasn't good enough as a sole fighting resist as it gets worn down fairly easily, and I also knew that Toxic Spikes and hazard-stack in general demolished my team from team preview. I decided to try out Drifblim as a Defogger and I was not disappointed. The combination of it's unique Ghost/Flying typing, access to Will-O-Wisp and priority Sucker Punch made it an extremely valuable member of my team that put in work every match.

The first version of the team was really fun to use and it did fairly well, considering how gimmicky some of the sets were. After a bunch of play-testing, I decided that Flareon wasn't really pulling his weight on the team. I realized that I still wanted a fast Fire Type to replace it so I decided on Scarf Typhlosion. I was never really a fan of Scarf Typhlosion in prior metas, but the extra speed makes sure that I don't auto-lose to mons that outspeed Virizion if my team is weakened.

upload_2015-2-22_2-8-12.png

As I began laddering for my reqs, I found that Mesprit rarely ever did anything useful outside of being death fodder. It just wasn't fast or bulky enough to really work on the team. I decided to replace it with an offensive CM + 3 attacks Uxie spread that I had been dying to try out ever since I read about it on the forums. It was the perfect fit as it provided another win condition, while still being bulky enough to pivot throughout the early to mid-game. I also changed Virizion's set to LO SD w/ Stone Edge because I felt that it did a better job of cleaning than my previous set did.

Drawing (17).png

typhlosion.gif
upload_2015-2-22_2-14-11.png

Typhlosion @
upload_2015-2-22_2-14-46.png
| Blaze
Timid | 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd

- Eruption
- Fire Blast

- Nature Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Typhlosion provides the much needed speed element to the team as without it, I have a tough time revenging anything faster than Virizion's Base 108 speed. Although I don't really like Scarf because it is so much weaker than specs, it still makes for a decent late game cleaner when the opponent's main checks to fire types are either weakened or taken out. The moveset is pretty standard for all Typhlosions except for Nature Power. Nature Power allows me to dodge Sucker Punch as well as maybe get a lucky status on incoming Mantine or Hariyama. I still run HP grass over HP electric because Lanturn can switch into any Mantine and Lanturn also appreciates the odd Seismitoad or Quagsire being eliminated from the match. I like to use Typhlosion as sort of a catch-all revenge killer to threats like SS Gorebyss or a rampaging Lilligant/Vivillon if I manage to misplay and let my checks to those mons get weakened.

virizion.gif
upload_2015-2-22_2-15-17.png
upload_2015-2-22_2-15-29.png

Virizion @
upload_2015-2-22_2-15-53.png
| Justified

Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
Virizion is easily the most fun mon to fall to NU with the February drops in my opinion. It's extreme versatility, blazing speed, and great typing solidified it as one of the top mons in NU, and the mon that this team is built around. This was originally Sub CM Virizion, but I felt like it took a bit too long for Viriz to really get going and start plowing through teams. SD Virizion provides much greater immediate power and a much more reliable win condition for this team. It also benefits much more from it's ability as it makes the opponent think twice before clicking Knock Off with a Hariyama or Sawk. I prefer Life Orb over the usual Lum Berry because the power difference is noticeable and I don't mind status as much with Heal Bell on Lanturn. I run Stone Edge over Zen Headbutt because it provides the best neutral coverage with its STABs, while also catching unsuspecting Xatus that think they can switch in for free. Zen can be used, however I feel like the team already deals pretty well with the poison types in the tier and they are often weakened to the point where a LO Stone Edge can finish them off.

steelix-mega (2).gif
upload_2015-2-22_2-16-46.png
upload_2015-2-22_2-17-22.png

Steelix-Mega @
upload_2015-2-22_2-16-26.png
| Sturdy => Sand Force
Adamant | 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 SpDef / 4 Spd

- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

- Rest
Since this is an ORAS NU team, I just threw on a Mega Steelix to make the team better. No but seriously, Mega Steelix is my primary check to pretty much any Offensive Psychic/Flying or Normal Type that may even seem like a remote threat to the team. Steelix acts as the ultimate pivot as due to its incredible typing, it is immune to Toxic Spikes and takes almost nothing from Stealth Rock. Steelix is probably the most reliable rocks setter in the meta right now as it chews hits from practically anything while still hitting hard with its dual STAB. In the last slot, I decided to go with Rest as it significantly helps with my matchup against bulkier teams that rely on wearing down MegaLix by chip damage, as well as synergizing nicely with Lanturn's Heal Bell. The EV spread is a custom spread that I made that allows you to be as specially bulky as possible, while doing >50% to max/max Defensive Xatu with Heavy Slam, which prevents it from constantly stalling you out with Roost.

lanturn.gif
upload_2015-2-22_2-19-19.png
upload_2015-2-22_2-19-31.png

Lanturn @
upload_2015-2-22_2-19-53.png
| Volt Absorb
Modest | 252 SpAtk / 148 SpDef / 108 Spd

- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Heal Bell

- Toxic

Lanturn is a really good mon in the post-drops ORAS meta. It's great typing, ability and bulk allow it to be one of the premier Heliolisk checks for Bulky Offense teams, as well as being one of the best mons at nabbing momentum with Volt Switch. I decided to run a more offensively based Pivot set for Lanturn as it allows it to hit surprisingly hard with Scald and Volt Switch. 108 speed is used to outpace Timid Cameupt before Mega-Evolving (yes I saw one on the ladder) and OHKO it with Scald as Mega Camerupt is a pretty huge threat to my team. I threw the remaining EVs into SpDef because Lanturn already has a huge HP stat and the extra SpDef lets me check Heliolisk much more reliably. While the first 3 moves are standard on Offensive Lanturn, I decided to put on toxic as without it, my team pretty much lost to Barrier + CM Musharna.

uxie.gif
upload_2015-2-22_2-20-13.png

Uxie @
upload_2015-2-22_2-19-53.png
| Levitate
Timid | 76 HP / 252 SpAtk / 180 Spd

- Calm Mind

- Signal Beam
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
CM + 3 Attacks Uxie is such a cool and underrated set that more people should definitely use. It combines the fatness and speed of Uxie, with the offensive prowess of a Mesprit which allows it to set-up on pretty much every defensive mon in the tier. Uxie also serves as a check to Malamar as a +1 Signal Beam can OHKO SpDef Malamar from full. CM Uxie also synergizes really well with Lanturn because its Heal Bell can give Uxie a second life after getting toxiced or catching a stray T-Wave. Grass Knot is used in the final spot because I was talking to Tennis in call and he mentioned that he saw Teddeh running Grass Knot to hit Mega Steelix. I figured it was the perfect fit as it allowed me to bait in and kill most Seismitoads and Quagsires, as well as being able to beat Rhydon 1v1. The EV's are to outspeed Jolly Sawk as I want to be able to outspeed and OHKO pretty much all variants of it.

drifblim.gif
upload_2015-2-22_1-47-9.png
upload_2015-2-22_1-47-34.png

Drifblim | Aftermath
Adamant | 252 Atk / 120 Def / 136 Spd

- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Sucker Punch

Out of all of the sets that I've come up with in the past, this is the one that I am most proud of. It seemed like every game that I played on the ladder, Drifblim played a key supporter role that allowed me to win. Whether it was crippling a Mega Steelix with Will-O, OHKOing the multitude of unsuspecting Hariyamas, Defogging away potentially deadly T-spikes, or picking off an unsuspecting Typhlosion or Heliolisk with Sucker Punch, Drifblim always did something to help the team win. The fact that it runs no item and is immune to their STABs makes Drifblim one of the better Fighting Switch-ins in the tier. Aftermath is a great ability that allows Drifblim to give a little parting gift to any unsuspecting physical attackers. The EV spread is such that you outspeed Max Speed Exeggutor before it puts you to sleep and anything slower, while throwing the rest into Defense because of Drifblim's already massive HP stat. This extra investment lets you chew hits like an unboosted Virizion Stone Edge or a banded Sawk CC with room to spare. If you haven't already please try out this mon, you won't be disappointed.
Drawing (18).png

hollywood
iplaytennislol
Kiyo
CanadianWifier
The Goomy
Montsegur
Raseri
Brawlfest
Teddeh
Soulgazer
QueenOfLuvdiscs
innovamania
swagilyph
Dolph The Showoff
and @ The NU Room

all of you are great friends and are probably the reason why i'm still playing mons rn haha

Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 160 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rest

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Scald
- Heal Bell

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Grass Knot

Drifblim
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Sucker Punch

Last edited:
"This extra investment lets you chew hits like an unboosted Virizion Stone Edge or a banded Sawk CC with room to spare."

last time I checked, Drifblim took a total of 0 from Sawks Banded CC. You probs meant knock off and I'm being smartass ;>

Anyway, nice team, gonna have to dry out that drifblim set, you did a really good job of selling it to me.
Seems kinda weak to Exeggutor (with all those 50/50s) and both your fighting checks get bopt by knock off which can be a concern.
As far as reccomendations, maybe a Defensive Calm Mind Xatu over your current Uxie and a Scarf Rotom over Drifblim but hey, your team seems really balanced as is so many changes wouldn't see much difference in game play

Last edited:
For drifblim, what do you think about running a flying gem and switching the ability to unburden? I'd think that most times it'd be a special move KO'ing drifblim anyway, so instead of having a chance of aftermath going into effect, why not have unburden's speed boost?

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
For drifblim, what do you think about running a flying gem and switching the ability to unburden? I'd think that most times it'd be a special move KO'ing drifblim anyway, so instead of having a chance of aftermath going into effect, why not have unburden's speed boost?
Not released

fuck you my shoutout is under shit players like Raseri ur a cool guy tho so ill let it slide :]

This is definitely a cool balanace team though, it's honestly pretty powerful with some innovative stuff like that Drifblim. I honestly feel like it is really weak to speed boosting sweepers such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr due to your sheer lack of priority and reliance on a relatively weak Scarf Typhlosion to revenge kill, and it isn't even that you can pressure them from setting up as you do have quite a few relatively passive pokemon on the squad. Speedy Variants of Mega-Camerupt are also really hard for you to play around or directly switch into, but I mean you have stuff to beat it so I'm not that worried.

I honestly feel like a Assault Vest Hariyama could work well over Virizion in giving you the needed utility to rip fast sweepers apart, while helping to relieve some of the pressure that Mega-Camerupt can cause, especially if it gets a free switch into Typhlosion, which can cause you to unnecessarily sack a pokemon. Furthermore, I feel the bulk rounds your team off a bit better, but idc tbh it's a really solid team regardless.

If you do decide to keep Virizion use Zen Headbutt > Stone Edge cause it's just more useful for shit like Garbodor or Vileplume tbh.

Also some food for thought, but Extrasensory on Scarf Typh is REALLY weak, so you could possibly go Nature Power to outrun the sucker punch users you tend to attract, but whatever, it's your decision.

cool team shit user

HJAD Sawk is one of those mons that is so strong that its CC is Super Effective of Ghost and Flying types obviously.

"This extra investment lets you chew hits like an unboosted Virizion Stone Edge or a banded Sawk CC with room to spare."

last time I checked, Drifblim took a total of 0 from Sawks Banded CC. You probs meant knock off and I'm being smartass ;>

Anyway, nice team, gonna have to dry out that drifblim set, you did a really good job of selling it to me.
Seems kinda weak to Exeggutor (with all those 50/50s) and both your fighting checks get bopt by knock off which can be a concern.
As far as reccomendations, maybe a Defensive Calm Mind Xatu over your current Uxie and a Scarf Rotom over Drifblim but hey, your team seems really balanced as is so many changes wouldn't see much difference in game play
i wrote this at like 2 in the morning cut me a break ;_;. I dont really see where I'm weak to eggy considering that both Uxie and Drifblim can switch in on any of it's moves, and proceed to OHKO after rocks with signal beam or acro.

fuck you my shoutout is under shit players like Raseri ur a cool guy tho so ill let it slide :]

This is definitely a cool balanace team though, it's honestly pretty powerful with some innovative stuff like that Drifblim. I honestly feel like it is really weak to speed boosting sweepers such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr due to your sheer lack of priority and reliance on a relatively weak Scarf Typhlosion to revenge kill, and it isn't even that you can pressure them from setting up as you do have quite a few relatively passive pokemon on the squad. Speedy Variants of Mega-Camerupt are also really hard for you to play around or directly switch into, but I mean you have stuff to beat it so I'm not that worried.

I honestly feel like a Assault Vest Hariyama could work well over Virizion in giving you the needed utility to rip fast sweepers apart, while helping to relieve some of the pressure that Mega-Camerupt can cause, especially if it gets a free switch into Typhlosion, which can cause you to unnecessarily sack a pokemon. Furthermore, I feel the bulk rounds your team off a bit better, but idc tbh it's a really solid team regardless.

If you do decide to keep Virizion use Zen Headbutt > Stone Edge cause it's just more useful for shit like Garbodor or Vileplume tbh.

Also some food for thought, but Extrasensory on Scarf Typh is REALLY weak, so you could possibly go Nature Power to outrun the sucker punch users you tend to attract, but whatever, it's your decision.

cool team shit user

HJAD Sawk is one of those mons that is so strong that its CC is Super Effective of Ghost and Flying types obviously.
at least you're not a butt like hollywood who had to edit to make sure that his shoutout was first. Speed boosting sweepers are definitely a problem as I usually have to sack Drifblim to get off Aftermath + Sucker Punch Damage, or let uxie get weakened in order to revenge. AssVest Yama seems interesting and I'll definitely test it out. As I said in the RMT, SE is used over Zen on Viriz because the team already deals with the majority of poison types in the tier extremely well and it's nice to be able to beat Xatu 1v1 as it can be kind of annoying for Uxie. Nature Power is really cool and i'll definitely be implementing as p much the only time I use E-Sensory is against opposing typhs anyways. Thanks for the rate fren n_n

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Really cool looking RMT, love the formatting and color coding. Gonna have to steal that for any future RMTs I do.

It took me a second to realize that you weren't running SpD on all of your mons and you were actually running Spe, which improperly formatted was just like ?.?

Sorry this isn't a longer rate, been working all week and then meta is about to change drastically with helio and lisk leaving. I really just wanted to comment saying how I liked how you used Drifblim well as its not your ordinary Pokemon and that I liked the formatting. As far as changes go I think Giga Drain is better on offensive Uxie as it allows you to recover health and not get worn down as quickly if you are going to be running a grass move. Grass Knot only hits slightly harder against both toad and Mega lisk and misses out on a 2HKO at +1 just barely. Overall Giga Drain lets you regain health while hitting more things harder and Mega lisk is worn down by the majority of your team anyways. The second one is that you can run flash fire typh as a secondary Fire spam check cause Lanturn is taking a ton of pressure from that, Blaze overall is better but I think Flash Fire fits. Mega Camel can give this team problems, but if you play well with typh and driffy then it can't really switch in on anything else and everything outpaces it (unless super fast and then I don't think mega lisk does).

Cool team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)