Programming FR/LG RNG Timer

I have created a special timer that is designed for RNG abuse in Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen. Abusing those games on a cartridge is said to be the most difficult of all RNG abuse, but it is doable. If you're up for a challenge, my timer is here to help.

You will need:
First off, I suggest you at least skim through the FR/LG RNG thread before you proceed. This will give you a basic understanding of how this RNG works and how it is different from those of other Pokémon games.

How to use my program to RNG in FR/LG:
  1. Save in front of the Celadon City Game Corner's Prize Corner with enough coins to buy the Pokémon of your choice. Abra is the cheapest, but it is also the lowest-leveled, which means it will take more Rare Candies and more time to check its IVs. The highest-leveled is Scyther in FR or Dratini in LG.
  2. Turn on or reset your game, and open my timer program. Press "Start" on my timer at the same instant that you press "A" or "Start" on FR/LG's Charizard/Venusaur "PRESS START" screen. The program will begin counting up, like a stopwatch.
  3. Purchase the Pokémon of your choice, then use Rare Candies and an IV calculator to determine its exact IVs. Proceed in-game to the location of the Pokémon that you wish to RNG, avoiding all battles (make sure you've already battled all trainers along the way, and use Repels to prevent wild encounters).
  4. Open RNG Reporter, click on the "4th Gen Tools" drop-down menu, and select "Calculate PID from IVs." Enter the nature and IVs of your Pokémon, and note the value in the "Seed" column. If there are multiple results, use the one that is labeled "Method 1."
  5. Open the FRLG Seed Finder, and type in the value of the seed from step 5. You will get a list of one or more possible FR/LG seeds (they are the 2-byte hexadecimal numbers after the colons). If there are more than 1, look at the left-hand values. If you proceeded through the game's intro rapidly and quickly purchased your Pokémon, the value that corresponds to your correct seed should be around 500.
  6. Return to the main screen of RNG Reporter. Type the seed you obtained in step 6 into the "Seed" box. This guide will assume you are after a Method 1 Pokémon, such as Mewtwo or Zapdos, so make sure that "Method 1" is selected, then click "Generate." You will get a list of spreads for that seed. Note the current time on my program, which should have elapsed several minutes by now, and choose a target spread in RNG Reporter whose time value is GREATER THAN the value that is currently on my program. Much like in Emerald, you're not going to find perfect spreads, or even close-to-perfect spreads, so use the IV filters and select the minimum IV constraints that you will tolerate for your target.
  7. Take the frame of your target spread, type it into the box in my program, and click "Submit." The program will then cease counting up and begin counting down towards your target time. At the time that the timer hits 0, initiate the battle with your Pokémon, and hope for the best! Cross-check your result with RNG Reporter and find out what frame you hit.
  8. In the likely event that you did not hit your target frame, repeat steps 2 and beyond (yes, you will have to deal with calculating your prize Pokémon's IVs and proceeding to the location of your target Pokémon EVERY TIME).
FAQs:

Q: What makes this program different from EonTimer and other RNG timers?
A: Those timers are not capable of adding a target time on the fly. When you RNG abuse in FR/LG, you have to start the timer before knowing when you want it to end. The other programs require that you know your target frame/time prior to the start of the timer.

Q: Does this program have a calibration feature?
A: No. If you didn't get very close to your target frame, you can manually adjust using the following formula: target frame - obtained frame = calibration value. Then, on future attempts, add "calibration value" to your target frame before typing it into my program.

Credits:
  • NeoSyrex, for authoring the FRLG Seed Finder program.
  • NixHex, for explaining the use of the FRLG Seed Finder program to me.
  • ΩDonut, for his initial proposal of the method of using a Game Corner Pokémon to calculate IVs and find your seed.
  • Skymin_Flower, for further explaining the FR/LG RNG procedure to me and convincing me that it's worth a shot.
  • mingot, Slashmolder, and the various authors of RNG Reporter.
  • MadProgrammer of StackOverflow, for helping me with this program and providing the initial code for a two-way timer.
Please let me know what you think, and don't hesitate to contact me if you experience any problems or have any suggestions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)