XY Doubles Freakshow - Bulky Offense

Conkeldurr, Hydreigon, or something else? (read rmt first)

• Conk

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Hydra

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Neither (please specify :D)

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
Thanks to Spacebass96 for the name of this RMT! This is one of the better teams I have built thus far. It's weak to a couple cores/mons, but overall it plays well versus various strategies. I used it frequently during the Doubles summer seasonals and it performed pretty well. I started out with a double intimidate core that looked pretty cool...

lake monster (Gyarados) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Protect

When I saw someone using a Gyarados, I knew I wanted to try it as well. It dealt with Heatran, Landorus-T, and Hitmontop couldn't touch it. I ran Ice Fang over Taunt for a little bit, but most of the things I wanted to Ice Fang were weak to T-Wave, Waterfall, or Taunt, so I dropped it for some extra support points and haven't gone back since. The speed investment lets it outspeed Bisharp and hit it with a Thunder Wave before taking a powerful Knock Off, while leaving enough attack investment to OHKO non-bulky Talonflame with Waterfall and still take out HP talonflame after Brave Bird recoil. I really love Thunder Wave.

kitty doge (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

This set is extremely common on competent Doubles teams because it's just so versatile. Some people like Shaian and Audiosurfer would say that non-scarf is better nowadays, but my team really needs the extra speed, and fast Rock Slide flinches are scary as hell. The moves are pretty standard; EQ for STAB and taking out Heatran + Amoonguss, Rock Slide over Stone Edge because I'm not concerned with Wide Guard and I like the flinch chance and spread, U-Turn for scouting and doing some damage while keeping momentum. I run Superpower because I don't have any Fighting-type moves on the team. It's mostly just a filler move, but I do use it occasionally. Finally, I run Jolly nature because if something is EV'd, they're EV'd for Adamant Lando-T, so I figured I might as well run Jolly. This is a good point BLOOD TOTEM brought up in the PS Doubles chatroom once. It's been working out for me.

Smoking is bad! (Venusaur-Mega) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Both of my previous Pokémon were incredibly weak to Rotom-W. Neither of them could really do anything to rain teams, either. Since I didn't use up my mega slot yet, Mega Venusaur seemed like the ideal weed choice. I run enough speed to outspeed standard Rotom-W because I want to kill it before it's able to harm one of my teammates. The rest goes into HP to take as many Ice Beams, Heat Waves, Earthquakes, and Hydro Pumps as possible. Sleep Powder lets me use its bulk to cripple threats I otherwise don't want to deal with. It's great if I can catch something like a Talonflame or Pinsir with it on the switch. The other moves are just standard and help me take care of multiple things.

Night's Edge (Aegislash) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Wide Guard
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

It's purple and a sword. Please don't judge my nicknames too harshly. ;_; I needed something that could easily take on Cresselia and other Psychic-types, and Aegislash was the solution. I run Safety Goggles to allow it to take Spore and wall the shit out of Breloom which walls the shit out of Landorus-T. Some people like Audiosurfer and Steeljackal<3 like to run Level 99 Aegislash, but I don't want to because I'm old-fashioned the loss of power makes me really nervous. Wide Guard is an excellent support move for any team, and it's especially good on Aegislash because of its bulk and typing that baits out spread moves like Earthquake and Heat Wave.

ugly oven (Heatran) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

That's what it is. It's the ugly oven of Doubles. Rotom-Heat is honestly more of a microwave-oven in my opinion, and it's not even that ugly. The Substitute hides its ugliness. I'm sure most people have seen this Pokémon before, and it gives people headaches. Its excellent typing plus the good amount of support I have on this team (Taunt, Thunder Wave, Sleep Powder, Wide Guard, and a lot of intimidate) lets me get a sub up if I play my cards right and the opposing team isn't totally anti-tran. I run enough speed to hit that 240 mark and outspeed Bisharp. Even though I only have a little HP investment, I can still live random Earth Powers if I need to, and my double flying core I outlined at the start lets me easily handle Ground/Fighting moves anyway. Heatran finishes off my F/W/G core.

Voice of Life (Hydreigon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power

Ermahgurrd (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch

I swap between these two constantly. I can't decide which one I like more. They both handle similar threats and have similar weaknesses. I'm curious about your opinions on this. I will explain Hydreigon first.

Hydreigon is my wildcard. I've actually seen it rise in popularity lately due to being able take on Bisharp, Heatran, Rotom-W, and Aegislash all at the same time. Nollan has a great sample team utilizing this Pokémon. He runs Life Orb, but I really like Choice Specs for the extra power. Dark Pulse is very easily spammed anyway, so Hydreigon makes a great lategame sweeper. I opted to go for bulky because I'm not outspeeding much anyway, I have speed control, and I wanted to hit as hard as possible. I think what mainly hinders Hydra's usage is its 4x weakness to fairy, but with Venusaur/Tran/Aegislash, I feel confident I have his glaring weakness covered. When you look past that, though, you see a Pokemon with an amazing defensive typing, good speed and bulk, and great coverage that can handle a lot of the meta. Hydra is extremely underlooked and fit well on this team.

Conkeldurr on the other hand (shoutout to iliketrains11 for the nickname) also fits pretty well on the team. It's also incredibly weak to Fairy-types, but it has pretty good priority, is not weak to Ice Beam, and can tear through an unprepared team. It handles all the threats I mentioned Hydra can handle except perhaps Aegislash if it's weakened or I'm unable to work around the King's Shield. Conkeldurr does an insane amount of damage to Ludicolo and Politoed with Drain Punch and can OHKO Landorus-T through intimidate with Ice Punch. It also doesn't really mind being burned or paralyzed. Another thing: Conkeldurr takes out Porygon2. This isn't a common threat, but holy shit this thing completely completely goes ham on my team with BoltBeam and being unable to die, especially because of Recover. This is really the only reason I changed from hydra, lol. Although, after a bit of testing, Conkeldurr doesn't have many resistances I really need and it's not as bulky as I thought.

EVs: 248 HP / 92 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Protect

kitty doge (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Night's Edge (Aegislash) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Wide Guard
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

Smoking is bad! (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Protect

ugly oven (Heatran) @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Voice of Life (Hydreigon) @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power

Weaknesses

Shaymin-Sky (especially sash)
Hydreigon (without conk)
Porygon2 (without conk)
Rotom-W/Talonflame Combo (without hydra)

So there's the team! I'm not doing shoutouts at the end this time, mostly because I did that last time. I know I'm posting this during the Doubles Open, but I've wanted to post it for a long time since I've had this team for over a month. You can bet I'll be building other teams as well. Now, let's get some rates!

Last edited:
I voted neither for the poll. These days I have seen a lot of Conkeldurr, but the truth is Conkeldurr has very little Special bulk. It usually does not survive lots of Special hits, even with AV, and AV itself is the only thing that COnkeldurr runs these days, and you never want a pokemon to be predicted or for them to know the set so easily. I almost voted Hydreigon, but your team only has Heatran to get past trick room, and trick room has been a bit more hardcore than base 77 speed. I think that you should run Machamp in that slot, as it adds more support with the confusion from Dynamicpunch, while it also hits hard and has much better special bulk, despite giving up some physical bulk in return. It also has a 50% chance to OHKO SubTran with Dynamicpunch, and has the ability to nearly OHKO Gardevoir with Bullet Punch, which is a priority option. It also has Wide Guard to protect Heatran from Earthquake, Lando-T from some wierd Abomasnow sets, and Gyarados from those cheap Discharge gimmicks. I believe that it would fit very well in the team, and it has a variety of options to support and defend it.
BTW idrk why I can find problems with other people's teams, yet I can't even make one my own, but I would greatly appreciate it if you would consider this for your team.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What are the speed EVs on Venusaur for? Not questioning just wondering.

Also you haven't got multiple blaring fire/ground/rock weakness' on your team, so I'd experiment with Hidden Power Ice on Aegi to hit some of the ice weak mons out there. I worked it out and Aegi does exactly the same to Amoonguss with HP Ice as Shadow Ball, but there will be some things it will be nice coverage for.

252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 272-324 (83.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 384-456 (120.3 - 142.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 195-231 (60.1 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 384-456 (116 - 137.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 172-203 (53 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Shaymin-S: 408-480 (119.6 - 140.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I went overkill on the Landorus T stats just for reasoning purposes, but unless its banded it shouldn't OHKO the shield form, and you can OHKO back in the right situations. Wide guard does have its advantages, but HP Ice is something to think about. Same with Salamence.

EDIT: Just read Shaians Eruptran suggestion, and if you do opt for a Trick Room mode, you won't even need to worry about taking the EQ and can get a clean OHKO on Lando T.

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I voted for Hydreigon, but after looking at your team I noticed that you actually should be able to run a nice Trick Room Mode, utilizing Heatran and Aegislash. Putting that into consideration, I almost feel like you should switch to min-speed Eruptran, and instead of opting in for either Conk or Hydreigon, run a manual sun, Trick Room Cresselia set instead? It's unorthodox, but it would give you the option to run both Cholorosaur and Mega Venu outside of Trick Room, buff your matchup against opposing Trick Room teams, override opposing weather such as Hail, Rain or Sand and let you fire off explosive Eruptions with Heatran.

Heatran @ Charcoal / Shuca / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
IVs: 17 Spe
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Earth Power

Just a basic Eruptran set, though the 17 IVs in Speed means it outruns min speed Cresselia by 1 point, meaning you attack against it first outside of Trick Room, and you also let your own Cresselia set up Sunny Day before you attack inside of Trick Room. Flamethrower is there so you aren't Wide Guard bait and can also attack reliably at lower health. The items are all your choice, Charcoal gives you a nice bonus to your fire attacks, though Shuca can be useful to get a crucial survive, and Leftovers are to help you spam Eruption as long as possible.

Cresselia @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Sunny Day
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Standard offensive Cresselia set, though opted for Sunny Day over a third attack. Ice Beam to ease your matchups against Landorus and the plethora of 4x weak Dragons littering the tier.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ayyyy lmoa
Not gonna do a full rate but I don't think outspeeding sharp is that worth it tbh so I'm gonna offer you this one.

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 150 Atk / 58 Def / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge / Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Basically it's guaranteed to survive two LO Terrakion Rock Slides and it speed creeps Rotom-W so you can taunt before burns. Stone Edge actually adds some neat coverage and helps check Skymin / Zard Y.

Alright Dash so I made a video and it was beautiful and then the intro was frozen and the whole thing was broken. Long story short, I'm just gonna write out my rate, here goes.
6th mon:

Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 64 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
Bulky Thundurus is immensely helpful to your team, the extra paralysis is really appreciated from the many slow & bulky attackers on your team. Thundurus also beats Shaymin, Hydreigon, and does well against the Rotom-W+Talonflame combo that you listed as your problem Pokemon. The EV spread is taken from the smogdex but the Def investment lets you survive an Adamant Stone Edge from Landorus-T and the SDef lets you live a Draco Meteor from Life Orb timid Latios. The speed hits 263 to outspeed Jolly Breloom and the remainder is in SAtk.
Adding Thundurus also gives you 2 Levitating Pokemon to give Landorus-T some flexibility when using Earthquake.

Note: Also, AV Conkeldurr should be 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef to always live an Overheat from Char Y
Gyarados

EVs: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 48 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
- Stone Edge

Exact same as Totemo's suggestion but I've swapped Taunt for Protect because Thundurus is a better Taunt user. Moving on...

Venusaur

Smoking is bad! (Venusaur) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Protect
In your Importable you have Mega-Venusaur directly in the teambuilder, but it's important to make sure that you have chlorophyll on Venusaur before Mega Evolving for the times your opponent brings Sun. That being said, I've taken 4 EVs from your original HP and put it into speed, letting you hit 211 which will outspeed Scarf Landorus-T in the sun, and 211 is a more realistic speed creep to Rotom forms. I've also switched Giga Drain for Leaf Storm because Giga Drain is horrible and 2 Leaf Storms in a row does more than 2 Energy Balls. You now OHKO all Rotom-Wash variants :D.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)