Full Baton Pass

The purpose of this thread is to see other's stance vs full baton pass teams in adv. Is it another competitive strategy accepted as fair use? Is it worth bringing haze or something to counter octillery/mr mime chains? I know other sites are banning or limiting baton pass chains and I can understand why, considering how annoying it is to counter them. What do you guys think?

Baton Passato is pretty much rare in Adv and anyway it's not so difficult to counter thanks to cool overused moves as Roar, Leech Seed, Perish Song and Trick x___x

Please leave adv as it is ;___;

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
(for what it's worth ill explain why bellypass isn't broken tomorrow/how 99% of all teams have natural bellypass counters to begin with if you want to but i really cba rn)

the main problem is that people seem to defecate into their underwear as soon as the prospect of "possible +6 +1 aero" pops into their mind even though it's about 20% as threatening as it seems

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
aerodactyl isn't that scary because it can't actually OHKO a lot of shit anyway oh no 70-power STAB moves !! also nice pointless double post

I would argue that whether or not most teams "naturally" counter a strategy or not is immaterial, so long as counters are available at all to utilize, but meh.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
+6 aerodactyl ohkos like everything it needs to OHKO bar max/max+ swampert on a roll (in aeros favor) and max/max+ suicune lol, pretty much everything else it can't ohko i.e. skarmory or donphan just gets taunted and neutralized that way so it's really not a problem to plow through these unless they have like mass intimidates to go along with it (which still leaves half your team dead)

that said, stopping the pass is really not a difficult thing to do if you know what you're doing so ye i don't think this needs clarification anyway.

ADV should not be touched unless the old Sleep Talk mechanics are being reinstated
Well reinstating the wrong gaming mechanic for nostalgia just sounds awful to me as a person that started playing adv this last year.

It seems like most veterans dont mind full bp, though it seems like it is just a strategy that lets lesser players beat better players, its obviously manageable.

Last edited:

Foggi

Banned deucer.
I feel like a good Player should always have something for things like Baton Pass chains,they are not that common but Still they can give a pain in ass for some teams.I don't think anything about Baton Pass should be touched in adv because it is good as it is right now

Reinstating old mechanics for nostalgia's sake would mean bringing back the old Substitute blocking Rapid Spin which is outright wrong. In a way some would say that the spin bug also served to decentralize the metagame as teams were much more readily able to prevent Rapid Spin (Its why VILtar was so fucking good) and Gengar was not as omnipotent as a result of that.

With regards to Baton Pass, I'd say that a good baton pass team can be effective in advance, however not broken. Ingrain/Pass is the only thing i'd consider banning, for the sole purpose that now Sleep Talk has been drastically nerfed to the point of being treated as a novelty set. This means that any defensive oriented team is more prone to Smeargle setting up.

Of course, even that wouldn't be considered as broken but rather a flaw of the defensive team in the first place. In the end, it would end up being a mindgame between the baton pass team trying to prevent the phazer from destroying the chain before ingrain which sounds like a perfectly healthy meta. Even then, Hazers destroy all baton pass chains and Perish Song keeps them on their toes. Not to mention their prone-ness to getting the short end of the stick in terms of critical hit attacks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)