SM OU Fun & Competitive [The way it's meant to be played]

Hi everyone and WELCOME on my first RMT ever.
I decided to make this RMT for two major reasons :
- Get advice on it in case I forgot any trouble I could get with it.
- Share it with people that hate playing pokemon they dislike just to "win games".

Yeah, I know, that might sounds stupid, but I don't enjoy that much winning, I rather play a less strong team with Pokemons I actually enjoy playing rather than playing Toxapex, Chansey or Skarmory just to win games, but if we can win with cool pokemons, hell let's go for it :)
If you're like me, you might want to check out what's below ;)

latios-mega.gif
magnezone.gif
tapulele.gif
kartana.gif
muk-alola.gif
landorus-therian.gif

The TeamBuilding Process

I started with Latios-Mega for 3 major reasons, the first one is that with the ban of Zygarde we might experience a rise in usage of Heatran, Garchomp, Gliscor, Blacephalon etc.​
And Latios-Mega handles them pretty well (Scarf Blacephalon has an answer though).​
The second reason is that I like to play fast and sweeper that hit pretty hard as Mega Evolutions. And last reason is I actually never seriously tried Mega-Latios, so that was enough for to start building around him.​
latios-mega.png
With the common set of Mega-Latios, you're easily blocked by a bunch of steel type powerfull pokemons, Skarmory and Celesteela as an instance.​
As I hate them so hard, I know that my most common answer vs them is a well played Magnezone, to lock them up with his wonderfull Steel Trap ability.​
It also helps againt slow Mega-Scizor versions, Kartana, Jirachi, Ferrothorn (a lot less seen since Zygarde got banned though)​
latios-mega.png
magnezone.png
When you play Mega-Latios, you expect to fight against good trappers like Tyranitar or Weavile, or even Ash Gren that's everwhere in the meta. To fight agaisnt this I found interresting to add a Scarf Tapu Lele to the team with a good Moonblast/Focus Blast combination to remove Ttar/Weavile easily and block Ice Shard/Water Shuriken thanks to the Psychic Terrain. I'll add that Tapu Lele is really good against one of the most annoying stallers, Mega-Sableye.​
latios-mega.png
magnezone.png
Tapu_Lele.png
I realized I lacked physical damage, a setup pokemon and a Z-move user at this point. Kartana was a decent option for it, pretty fast steel type to strike Clefable down and get a bit more prepared against Chansey and his friends. This set is really powerfull and can lure a choice locked set and sweep late game or at least make crazy holes.It's a decent Revenge Killer as well so I added it, let's see what we need next.​
latios-mega.png
magnezone.png
Tapu_Lele.png
Kartana.png
I just realized Mega-Alakazam could hurt a lot at this stage and decided to add Muk-Alola. This pokemon is really underrated in my opinion, it traps Zam very easily, scarf Blacephalon, Gengar, can take a +1 Z bug from Volcarona or +2 for the rest while OKHOing with Rockslide, surprises Mega Charizard Y with Rock Slide aswell, can switch and trap a choice locked Tapu Lele or even come on a Moonblast and KO with Poison Jab, this really was the perfect addition to the team and I thank him for that.​
latios-mega.png
magnezone.png
Tapu_Lele.png
Kartana.png
Alolan_Muk.png
Now I need a Stealth Rock user and a entry hasard remover in case shit happens. Excadrill was probably the best choice here, adding Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin, a stabbed Earthquake to hit Mega-Charizard X. But I hate Excadrill, it's a good pokemon but I don't enjoy playing him, so I opted for the good old Landorus-T with a strange set/spread but I'll explain later on.​
latios-mega.png
magnezone.png
Tapu_Lele.png
Kartana.png
Alolan_Muk.png

latios-mega.gif

SpaceFox (Latios) @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roost​

Explanations:
Psychic is a strong STAB move preferred to draco meteor since you can spam it, and hit fairies with it.​
Since I play Pschic Terrain, it's even better.​
earthquake to remove heatran that otherwise completelly blocks you, since Zygarde got banned recently, I expect to see Heatran in every team from now on (it was already the case more or less before actually ^^) It helps o the switch to 2HKO Tyranitar choice bander, and it helps a bit against Magearna to revenge kill her late game.​
Ice Beam for Garchomp which will be in more teams like Heatran, Gliscor that can be annoying otherwise and Tangrowth that otherwise is a problem.​
Roots to help 1v1 Tangrowth that otherwise might end up killing you.​
Spread is rather simple, you want max speed to be as fast as possible, and max SpA to deal as much damage as possible.​
4 Evs remaining in Atk for that lil extra damage, I couldn't find a better balance between both so I stuck to the standard set.​

magnezone.gif

Mr. Trap (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]​

Explanations:
Thunderbolt with Choice Specs let OKHO Skarmory before he can wirlwind or land spikes, 2HKO or OHKO Mawile-Mega after Stealth Rock after leftover recovery same for Celesteela. You can come on Heavy Slam and take a Flamethrower without problems aswell but if you come on Leech Seed, you'll need a 2HKO (or 25% OKHO) to get it killed.​
I prefer Choice Specs than Choice Scarf because otherwise you struggle to kill threats, and I find it easier to use than a Sub+Zmove aswell.​
HP fire to OKHO a slow Mega-Scizor and 2HKO Ferrothorn (or 11% OKHO).​
With Thunderbolt choice locked you OKHO Kartana, no need to be locked on HP fire for him.​
Flash Cannon for Kyurem B or all Fairies that you might encounter.​
Volt Switch for faster Mega-Scizor or AV Magearna that will beat you if she has HP fire.​
Volt Switch is really good in general to keep up momentum if you fail to trap the Steel threat (Your opponent guessed the double switch or switched his steel on your Lando U-Turn)​
The spread is more orginal than the moveset though, 8HP and 4 Def to make sure you're not OKHOed by Sacred Sword Kartana after Stealth Rock damage. The rest of EVs to hit as hard as possible while being faster than Magearna, Mawile-Mega, Tyranitar, and not much invested Mega-Scizor.​
tapulele.gif

Master Of Puppets (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast​

Explanations:
One of the late game finishers. The Scarf will make sure you Revenge Kill a +1 adamant Mega-Charizard X (not the Jolly version at +1)​
Tapu Lele OKHO Ash Gren with Moonblast and prevents him from using Water Shuriken. It helps against Weavile aswell even if much less common.​
This thing hits like a truck so Toxapex and Mega-Venusaur are no longer a threat.​
I'm not sure about Psyshock though, I barely use it, might want to replace with HP Fire.​
Moonblast to RK Garchomp and Kyurem-B (thanks to the Scarf) both almost always OKHO (guaranted after Stealth Rock or Life Orb damage).​
Focus Blast is here only for Tyranitar and his Mega that otherwise can be troublesome.​
Standard spread to hit hard and fast.​
The Psychic Terrain is really usefull with this team since you're weak to prioty moves (Ice Shard, Water Shuriken, Aqua-Jet from boosted Azumarill or Crawdaunt, Bluff aswell since no one holds a rocky helmet) and boosts Mega-Latios.

kartana.gif

RKartana (Kartana) @ Grassium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 19 Atk
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Swords Dance​

Explanations:
I love this build, you always get a kill thanks to the lure. I'll explain.​
Normally thanks to Beast Boost, killing an ennemy gives a 1.5x in Atk, but with this nature and IVs you'll get a 1.5x bonus in Speed, which lure your opponent because he will think you're scarfed. WHICH IS WRONG! So you can get a second kill after the first one you got or just setup with Sword Dance and thus get +2 in Atk and +1 in Spe.​
It's really powerfull thanks to the surprise you get from it, I don't even know how many matchs I won thanks to this.​
Leafblade for the STAB, Smart Strike for STAB and annoying Fairies (Clefable, Tapu Bulu etc.)​
Sacred Sword against Tyranitar, Heatran, Chansey​
Grassium Z because you can OKHO pretty much anything that doesn't resist grass at +2 (Mega-Sableye and even Toxapex)​
Only way to OKHO Mega-Swampert under rain without the Sword Dance boost (or Kartana being slower dies in 2HKO).​
Having a good Z move like this also helps when you get burnt since you OKHO Rotom-Wash with Z Grass and +2 when burnt (not possible you don't have the Z Grass)​
Quite powerfull since Rotom-Wash is going to be in every team after the Zygarde's ban.​
Believe me, you'll like getting a bit more HP on this monster aswell :p​
muk-alola.gif

Fat Boy Slime (Muk-Alola) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 28 Def / 92 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide​

Explanations:
This one is a legend, but no one knows it..​
The simple and easy answer vs Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele, OKHOing Zam with Pursuit if he leaves or Knock Off if he stays and OKHOing Tapu Lele with Poison Jab or 2HKO with Pursuit. No need to sak anyone, you can just switch-in on their Psychic/Focus Blast/Moonblast/Z Fight/Shadow Ball. EZ​
This lovely Boy will hunt Volcarona down as well with Rock Slide (preferred to Fire Punch for this purpose) since you can take a +1 Zmove or a +3 non-Zmove (HP Ground included). Having Rock Slide is great against Mega-Charizard Y aswell with an OKHO.​
The spread helps this purpose and maximise the damage of your Knock Off in general. 4 Spe to be faster than Chansey, and 28 Def so you're not 2HKO by Hoopa-U Choice Band (We see this pokemon a lot less in my opinion than a few months ago, so you might aswell put these EVs in Atk if you need to).​

landorus-therian.gif

RatherUsed (Landorus-Therian) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 16 SpD / 60 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock​

Explanations:
So that's the one that I'm not entirely sure. Earthquake for the STAB, Stealth Rock because as you might have noticed, it helps my sweepers get many more easier OKHOs.​
U-Turn for the slow switch and the for the residual damade on some targets in case there is not the Stealth Rocks (Easier "OHKOs" aswell).​
And Explosion is here for many reasons. OKHO Tapu Koko Shuca Berry, easily guessed if you're on the field and sends his Tapu Koko against you, but you will hold the HP Ice and OKHO him back. Will weaken Mega-Swampert that almost never 2HKO you with Ice Punch at -1.​
Can weaken Mega-Medicham aswell, and gives a free Switch to RK her, same with Mega-Lopunny.​
You hit them around 75%-80% while you can switch in with Lando very safely on any move Zen Headbutt/High Jump Kick/Fake Out + Ice Punch or even 2 Ice Punchs.​
With Mega-Gallade at +1 (+2 with Sword Dance on your switch and -1 with Intimidation) you survive Ice Punch with Yache Berry aswell or survive 2 attacking moves that give you time to explode "safely".​
All the same with Mega-Latios since you barely survive an Ice Beam.​
He also survives a Choice Banded Icycle Crash from Weavile and have 70% chance to OKHO him back without Stealth Rock.​

In general I actually love the gameplay that provides within the team because the explosion gives an extra safe space for your next sweeper, either Tapu Lele, Mega-Latios or Kartana, to finish the job.
Despite there is not Defog on Landorus-T, I didn't have troubles until then, my team isn't really weak to entry hasard except for spikes and the only pokemons we often see dropping spikes are Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Greninja than dies within 1 turn with my team.
And it's important mentioning that my opponent doesn't know I don't have defog althought I have 3 pokemons that can use it.
Muk-Alola can remove toxic spikes while others ignore them completelly and no one is really weak to Stealth Rock except Lando that actually has as a purpose to die with glory :)

That was a very long RMT, I hope it wasn't actually too long but I wanted to be as precise as I could so you can already play a game with this team in your mind while reading.
I really like this team, that's one of my few teams I have where there are only Pokemons that I enjoy playing without cancerous things or boring sets.
Also it was cool to try to do something around Mega-Latios.

• I add the full Pokepaste below so you can try the team if you want.
https://pokepast.es/77e0431d2005b3a4

• This is a replay of a match I did yesterday and I find that showcase pretty well some of the things I listed above.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-846121911

Thank you for reading and for your future advices :)

PS : Thanks to Nvidia for the title of the thread

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)