SS OU Galarian Weezing and Gengar Balance

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?

Edit - I'm not sure why this RMT has gained a little attention again recently, but I built this team in the time between the release of Pokemon Home and the Isle of Armor DLC (and also before the Dracovish ban), so it's outdated now. I guess you could try to update it by making Clefable more of a utility option with Stealth Rock, changing the Mandibuzz spread, replacing Seismitoad with Toxapex or even Gastrodon, and maybe swapping Conkeldurr with Urshifu. A lot of tweaking would need to be done though to make it more suitable for the current meta, so it's probably better for anyone looking for inspiration to consider more recently built teams.

Introduction:

I've been feeling a little burned out with Pokemon so I'm planning on taking a break for a while, but I wanted to post one more RMT before then. I really enjoy writing these because I feel like being detailed about my team building makes me view the game in a more deliberate way and helps me become a better builder. I know I write a lot, and probably too much, but I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read/skim through my posts. This team began as just a straightforward balance team and I tried to mix it up a little with Galarian Weezing, and I fell in love with that Pokemon. I know that this team would likely be improved overall by replacing Galarian Weezing with something like Rotom-Heat, but using Galarian Weezing has been some of the most fun I've had with SS, so I wanted to post this team and spread the word about Galarian Weezing. This team also ended up with four defensive Pokemon and two breakers, but that's pretty common for balance teams in SS OU. Anyway, I'll get into the team now.

The Team:

Weezing-Galar (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Strange Steam
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower​

So as I said in the intro, I love this Pokemon. Fooling around and finding different ways to utilize Neutralizing Gas is some of the most fun I've had with SS. Neutralizing Gas removes almost any ability from the opposing Pokemon while Galarian Weezing is on the field - there are a few rare exceptions that mainly have to do with changing the actual "state" of the opposing Pokemon, such as Mimikyu's Disguise. There are a lot of interesting ways to take advantage of Neutralizing Gas, like forcing Clefable to take residual damage without Magic Guard, preventing weather-setting abilities (in particular, preventing Alolan Ninetales from setting up Aurora Veil), not allowing Cinderace to get a Blaze boost, removing Skill Link from Cloyster, stopping Regenerator recovery, etc. Galarian Weezing also survives a Fishious Rend by neutralizing Dracovish's Strong Jaw, so in an emergency if something has happened to my Seismitoad, Galarian Weezing can burn Dracovish with Will-O-Wisp or hit it hard with Strange Steam before going down. Similarly, by removing Crawdaunt's Adaptability, Galarian Weezing can barely live a +2, Life Orb Crabhammer and OHKO it back with Strange Steam, if it comes to that. I'm sure that there are many more unique interactions with Neutralizing Gas that I haven't considered or come across, but I think the biggest benefit has to be removing Guts from Conkeldurr (and others, like Obstagoon). Nothing in OU can safely switch into Conkeldurr (except maybe Mimikyu, although you still run the risk of getting Knocked Off and having your Disguise broken, and physically defensive Toxapex, which is the most common Pex variant, but Facade has a 64.5% chance to 2HKO if Black Sludge has been Knocked Off) and even outside of OU, there are only a handful of Pokemon in the entire game that can check Conk. Even some of the other niche checks to Conk, like Cofagrigus, can't repeatedly switch into Conk as reliably. So, that leaves Neutralizing Gas Galarian Weezing as likely the best Conk check in the game. Removing Guts from Conk allows its burn to actually halve its physical damage and removes any Attack boost. Facade still does 33.8-39.8% against Galarian Weezing but Strange Steam threatens out Conk. Galarian Weezing is also an excellent check to pretty much any Zeraora set. Seeing as Conk and Zeraora are two of the most prominent wallbreakers and how difficult they are to switch into, I feel like this alone gives Galarian Weezing some niche in OU. Galarian Weezing is also a pretty good switch into Terrakion and can threaten it out with Strange Steam, but Banded Stone Edge still does 46.1-54.7%. Galarian Weezing is a good check to Hawlucha as well. However, as I mentioned in the intro, Galarian Weezing is largely outclassed by things like Rotom-Heat and Corviknight outside of being a better switch in to some threats, most notably Conk. Rotom-Heat over Galarian Weezing would probably make this team better overall, but Galarian Weezing is much more fun for me to use. Finally, I feel like Neutralizing Gas is the best ability for Galarian Weezing to run in OU because it is what allows it to stand out in some circumstances. Levitate is obviously nice and removes the Ground weakness, but Mold Breaker Excadrill is the most dangerous Ground attacker in OU and ignores Levitate anyway. Misty Surge seems more niche to me and I've only seen it used to do specific things like activate a Misty Seed on Hawlucha.
Anyway, that was a really long preamble, but I like Galarian Weezing a lot. The EV spread gives Galarian Weezing very good physical bulk to go along with its good defensive typing and the 4 Speed EVs are to outrun uninvested Grimmsnarl. The single most common Grimmsnarl spread runs 164 Speed EVs (16.865% of all Grimmsnarls had 164 Speed in April), but overall, more Grimmsnarls do not have any Speed investment. Outrunning Grimmsnarl is nice because Neutralizing Gas invalidates Prankster. This lets Galarian Weezing get off a Strange Steam and do a sizable chunk before Light Screen goes up (Strange Steam will 2HKO most Grimmsnarls without Light Screen, and there's the 20% confusion chance), and also Defog away screens before being Taunted.
As for the moves, Strange Steam is a good Fairy STAB and the 20% confusion chance can be really nice. I like using Defog on Galarian Weezing because it opens up room to run Taunt on Mandibuzz, which I'll talk about later. Neutralizing Gas also has the benefit of letting Galarian Weezing Defog without fearing Defiant giving Bisharp +2 Attack. Will-O-Wisp is nice to cripple Steel types that may switch in, like Corviknight or Jirachi, and also can shut down stuff like Bulk Up Zeraora. Toxic could also be nice because of Neutralizing Gas removing Magic Guard on Clef and Galarian Weezing's Poison typing bypassing the accuracy check on Toxic, but I like being able to burn Steel types more. Flamethrower offers nice coverage, especially against things like Ferrothorn or Excadrills that try to switch in. I would really like to fit Toxic Spikes somewhere on the set but I don't like them as much as those four moves. T-Spikes in general have felt a little underwhelming to me with the introduction of Heavy-Duty Boots, how good of a Defogger Corviknight is, and how by far the most common Rapid Spinner is immune to them in Excadrill. T-Spikes obviously can be good though and Neutralizing Gas removing Levitate makes them even better. Pain Split can also be nice to give Galarian Weezing some form of self-sufficient recovery, but it's difficult to use on a slow Pokemon like Galarian Weezing and Clef passing Wishes helps heal him anyway. I know I wrote a ton about Galarian Weezing but I'll try to be more brief about the other members of my team.

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt​

Gengar has always been my favorite Pokemon and I love to fit him on teams when I can. I think that Gengar is good this generation and in my opinion, currently a little underrated - I'm also not really sure how he fell to UU earlier. With Nasty Plot, he can become one of the best special attacking breakers in OU. Having a base Speed stat of 110 is really nice and leaves Cinderace, Dragapult, Hawlucha (although Hawlucha is normally Adamant, which Timid Gengar outruns before Unburden kicks in), and Zeraora as the only non-Choice Scarfed/unboosted Pokemon in OU that can outspeed him. 130 base Special Attack is also really high and makes Gengar very threatening.
For moves, Shadow Ball and Sludge Wave give Gengar two really nice STABs and good coverage across the board. Very few things want to switch into a Shadow Ball, especially after a Nasty Plot, and Sludge Wave importantly threatens Fairies like Clefable, Togekiss, Hatterene, and Primarina. As I mentioned, Nasty Plot helps Gengar break and take advantage of more passive Pokemon like Toxapex. I like Thunderbolt best to round out the set because it lets Gengar hit things some of its best checks in Corviknight and Mandibuzz for super effective damage. Thunderbolt is also nice for Toxapex. Focus Blast could be run over Thunderbolt for things like Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, and Hydreigon, but I prefer the Electric coverage, and no one enjoys having to deal with Focus Blast's accuracy. +2 Sludge Wave also is a guaranteed OHKO against Hydreigon, for what it's worth. I could see Life Orb working as the item to help Gengar break better, by allowing him to OHKO Mandibuzz with a +2 Thunderbolt 81.3% of the time and guaranteeing OHKOs against even max specially defensive Corviknight with a +2 Thunderbolt and physically defensive Hippowdon with a +2 Shadow Ball, but I like Black Sludge to provide a little more longevity and not let Gengar get worn down by LO damage. Black Sludge also makes Gengar a really good receiver of Tricked Choice Scarfs, and more rarely, Choice Specs. Finally, although many of us lament Levitate being changed to Curse Body, and of course Levitate is the better ability, Cursed Body can help in a pinch against Choice Pokemon like Dracovish, or Cloyster after a Shell Smash, and it's nice if you end up disabling something like Toxapex's Scald.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 7 Spe
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Teleport​

I probably don't need to say much about this, but as we all know, Wish-Teleport Clef is easily one of the best Pokemon in the metagame. My team really appreciates the Wish support because two of my more defensive options in Galarian Weezing and Seismitoad both lack recovery moves and Conkeldurr without Drain Punch can get whittled down quickly with its burn. Clefable is also one of my two specially defensive options, along with Mandibuzz, and my only switch in to some key threats like Kyurem. Even then, Clefable isn't a reliable answer to Kyurem, but I'll talk about that at the end in the "Threats" section. Protect is necessary to let Clef safely heal itself but it's also nice to scout for Choice-locked moves against things like Dracovish. Teleport also really helps me get in my two breakers in Gengar and Conkeldurr. Conk in particular appreciates Teleport because it helps him come in and automatically get his Flame Orb activated. Magic Guard also makes Clef my status absorber and probably my best switch in to things like Seismitoad or Gastrodon, although getting Knocked Off by Seismitoad can be annoying. The last thing I think I can say about this Clef set is that the 7 Speed IVs gives Clef the slowest possible Teleport against opposing Clefs while still outrunning Hippowdon. I didn't come up with the idea of 7 Speed IVs for Clefable and a Clef with 6 Speed IVs would still actually outrun an uninvested Hippowdon, but I guess 7 is to outrun Hippos that have 4 Speed EVs or something. Speed IVs are a very small detail and rarely matter anyway, so I'll trust the people that know more than I and go with 7 Speed IVs on Clef. Edit - Ruft cleared this up for me; the 7 Speed IVs on Clef are in fact to outrun Hippos with 4 Speed EVs that aim to speed-creep opposing Hippos in the mirror matchup.

Mandibuzz @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 156 SpD / 100 Spe
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- U-turn
- Taunt​

Mandibuzz is a terrific partner for Gengar because it resists or is immune to all of Gengar's weaknesses: Mandibuzz resists Dark and Ghost and is immune to Ground and Psychic attacks. Having a Ghost resist in particular is fairly important in this meta and Mandibuzz fills that role very well by checking things like Dragapult, Aegislash, opposing Gengar, and Chandelure. Heavy-Duty Boots and Overcoat are standard on Mandibuzz to prevent residual damage from Stealth Rocks, Sandstorm, and Hail, and occasionally prevent moves like Sleep Powder or Stun Spore from working. Mandibuzz usually run 96 Speed EVs to outspeed Adamant and Modest Aegislash, but I use 100 Speed EVs to outrun Kommo-o that try to speed-creep Aegislash as well. Being able to outrun the most common defensive Kommo-o set and Taunt them before they can get up Stealth Rocks or Taunt you is nice. Outspeeding and Taunting opposing Mandibuzz is another bonus of using 100 Speed EVs, although you do lose the possibility of getting the slower U-turn in the mirror matchup. Mandibuzz has good natural bulk anyway and the 156 Special Defensive EVs along with a Careful nature makes Mandibuzz a good specially defensive Pokemon to pair with Clefable because they don't share any common type weaknesses. I like Foul Play on Mandibuzz much better than Knock Off because it makes Mandibuzz less passive and much more threatening to things like Excadrill and Jirachi, and also helps against setup sweepers like Dragon Dance Gyarados. I also run Knock Off on both Seismitoad and Conkeldurr so I don't think it's as important on Mandibuzz. Roost is mandatory and U-turn is always very nice to get momentum and helps bring in Conkeldurr and Gengar more safely. Finally, I really like Taunt on Mandibuzz. Hitting a Speed total of 221 with 100 Speed EVs allows Mandibuzz to outrun the majority of Stealth Rockers and opposing Defoggers like Corviknight, and this helps win the hazards battle. With Taunt, Mandibuzz shuts down and can whittle away at defensive Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Toxapex, and Seismitoad. However, it's usually not worth it to risk getting burned by Scald and people commonly switch anyway after their Toxapex or Seismitoad get taunted, so you typically want to U-turn out against them after Taunting.
I get that Mandibuzz is sometimes overshadowed by specially defensive Corviknight and I've considered making that change, but I think that Mandibuzz may fit in my team better and I personally enjoy using it more. Corviknight is overall probably just a better Pokemon and it would be nice to have another secondary check to Kyurem, but that would leave me without a Ghost resist and make we weaker to things like Dragapult, Aegislash, and Chandelure. I also just really like the utility that having Taunt on Mandibuzz provides me.

Seismitoad (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off​

Seismitoad is my Dracovish check, and that is important to have in this meta, but I like Seismitoad because I feel like in general, it offers more support than many other Stealth Rockers. Even ignoring the Water immunity provided by Water Absorb, Seismitoad has great defensive typing and Mandibuzz appreciates having an Electric immunity. That Electric immunity is also important to prevent Volt Switch from the Rotoms. Rotom-Heat can be threatening to my team but Seismitoad deals with it about as well as anything. In general, you want Seismitoad to set up Rocks, wall/threaten out some key threats like Rotom-Heat and Cinderace, and hit switches with Scald and Knock Off, and Toad is pretty reliable at all of this. I think that having two of the best moves in the game in Scald and Knock Off is one of the biggest selling points for Toad, along with Water Absorb, that prevents it from being completely outclassed by other Stealth Rockers like Kommo-o that have much higher base stats. In my opinion, Knock Off and Scald make Seismitoad one of the more difficult Stealth Rockers to switch into, despite its unimpressive damage output. Scald is important against Defoggers like Corviknight and Mandibuzz and Knock Off is especially great in this meta. Without Mega Pokemon or Z Crystals to absorb Knock Off, very little wants to switch into Knock Off. Mandibuzz gets significantly weakened if its Boots get Knocked Off, Conkeldurr can't make aggressive switch-ins until its Flame Orb has already been activated, and probably most importantly, Knock Off hits opposing Clef on the switch. Toxic can also be nice over Knock Off but since Clef is such a common switch in to Seismitoad, being able to remove its Leftovers alone usually makes Knock Off more valuable. I was considering using a Relaxed nature over Bold to increase Knock Off damage, but the increase in damage is usually negligible and I don't think it's worth it as a trade off to automatically get outsped by opposing Toads and also being slower than uninvested Pelippers. Relaxed Seismitoad gets outrun by Corviknight as well, but that can actually be to Toad's advantage at times, because it prevents a Corviknight that has already been burned or Knocked Off absorbing the Scald or Knock Off while U-turning and also lets Seismitoad hit Corviknight with Earth Power while it Roosts. Still though, I don't think that's enough to justify going Relaxed over Bold and there are times when you want to outrun Corviknight. I use Earth Power over Earthquake to prevent Seismitoad from being as weakened by burns, hit most Toxapex harder, and importantly, gives Seismitoad consistent and better damage against Bulk Up Zeraora.

Conkeldurr (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Facade​

Finally, Conkeldurr is my physical wallbreaker. I talked about this under Galarian Weezing, but almost nothing can safely switch into Conk. I think that Close Combat is definitely better on Conkeldurr than Drain Punch, especially when paired with Wish-Teleport Clef, because the significant increase in damage is big against walls like Hippowdon. Max physically defensive Hippo only has a 2.6% chance to get 3HKOed after Leftovers recovery by Drain Punch, but Close Combat has a 96.1% chance to 2HKO max physical bulk Hippo, even after Leftovers, which is crazy. Close Combat is also a guaranteed 2HKO against Corviknight but Drain Punch is only a 3HKO. I won't go through a bunch of damage calcs here, but suffice it to say, Conk's damage output is monstrous. I think it's best run max Speed on Conk to help him break better and outrun things like Seismitoad. Mach Punch offers a lot of utility and I think that it alone pretty much makes Conk better than fellow Guts user Obstagoon, although I do like Obstagoon too. Mach Punch is great at helping clean up in the late game, revenge kill, and can be invaluable at offering insurance against getting swept by big threats like Cloyster, Excadrill, Kyurem (if already chipped), and Bisharp. I talked about this with Seismitoad, but Knock Off is easily one of the best moves in the game and I think it's an underrated part of what makes Conkeldurr so good. Knock Off not only OHKOs almost any Ghost that could switch into Conk trying to catch one of its three other moves, it also weakens other switch ins like Toxapex, Rotom-Heat, and Corviknight. Knocking Off Toxapex in particular is important, since as I said under Galarian Weezing, it makes it much more likely that Facade 2HKOs Pex. Knock Off is an extremely good mid-ground option and often common switch-ins, like Corviknight and Clefable, will be in Close Combat or Facade range anyway after getting Knocked Off anyway. You do need to be a little careful with both Corviknight and Clefable because they can both speed-creep Conk and hit it hard, but you can often figure that out from damage calcs (although it's harder to tell with Corviknight). In general with Conk, I've found that you usually want to just use Knock Off once or twice early in games to hit switch-ins, then blast away with CC and Facade, and clean up/revenge kill with Mach Punch if necessary. As I've alluded to, Facade is for coverage against whatever resists your Fighting attacks.
The last thing I'll say about Conk it that I feel like needing to have him in play until the end of a turn before his Flame Orb activates and burns him is an aspect that is often overlooked; it's sometimes more difficult than it sounds to get Flame Orb activated before Conk becomes more threatening and is also able to become a status absorber, as well as one of the few Knock Off absorbers. Teleport from Clefable and U-turn from Mandibuzz both really help Conk safely activate his Flame Orb and it's something you'll want to keep in mind, because the sooner that you get Conk burned, the better. Conk can also sometimes act as a lead against something like Excadrill to threaten it out, Knock Off whatever switches in, and activate your Flame Orb all in the same process, but that's riskier.

Threats:
Kyurem is like Conkeldurr in that only a few, usually more niche, Pokemon are good checks to it, and even then, they can get haxed through by being frozen. My only real switch in to Kyurem is Clefable, and I'm honestly not too sure what to do once I do switch Clef in. Essentially, Clef can just cycle through Protect - Wish - Protect and try to stall-out Ice Beams, but you're constantly running the risk of being frozen. The other annoying thing about Kyurem that I don't think is often talked about is that since its ability is Pressure, even if you manage to survive the onslaught on Ice Beams without being crit or frozen, you'll end up depleting most of your Wish and Protect PP. Edit - Tol pointed out to me that Pressure only impacts moves that target the Pokemon with Pressure, so Wish and Protect from Clefable would be unaffected. The one good thing my team has going for it against Kyurem is that Conkeldurr, and to a lesser extent, Gengar, can both threaten it out. Mach Punch from Conk does 63.4-75.1% against Kyurem and Sludge Wave from Gengar does 43.2-51.4%. I honestly don't know if it would be better to just use Moonblast with Clef against Kyurem and do 55.2-64.9% to put it into Mach Punch and usually Sludge Wave range and just end up sacing Clef or something else. Sometimes I think it would be better to just attack Kyurem with Clef and not risk getting frozen or crit as many times, but then you're also guaranteeing Clef at least being really low health and sacing something else, or you just end up sacing Clef, frequently one of your most important Pokemon. Kyurem also would likely just switch out when you bring in Conk or Gengar and then you pretty much end up sacing again when it comes back in. So yeah, as we all know, Kyurem is really annoying and it haxing through soft checks is a real threat. Using Rotom-Heat over Galarian Weezing or specially defensive Corviknight over Mandibuzz would offer more help against Kyurem, but then you just end up becoming weaker to opposing Conkeldurr and Ghost types. You can't really have good answers for everything and I think I'm alright with having Clef and two things that can revenge kill Kyurem.

Primarina isn't too common, although I get the feeling that it's becoming more popular, but I think it's pretty good and a threat to my team. In a replay I'll link below, I go up against a Specs variant and have a really hard time switching into it, but I think that Substitute-Calm Mind Primarina may be over more threatening to my team. The good news for my team is that Gengar outruns Primarina and threatens it with Sludge Wave, but if it's behind a sub or has gotten off a CM or two, I'm in trouble.

Bisharp can always be a threat to sweep. The good news for my team is that Galarian Weezing can Defog without Defiant giving Bisharp +2 Attack, and more importantly, Conk is a great safety net against Bisharp. As long as Conk isn't knocked out, I have a safety net against Bisharp sweeping my team. However, without Conk, Bisharp is a serious threat to run through my team. Seismitoad can live a Knock Off from Bisharp and do a ton (84.1-99.6%) back with Earth Power, but Seismitoad is always taking a lot from a Bisharp Knock Off and is threatened to be OHKOed if Bisharp is at +2. Galarian Weezing can live any unboosted Bisharp attack and either burn it with Will-O-Wisp or do 56-66.4% back with Flamethrower, but an unboosted Iron Head is doing 53.8-66.4% against Galarian Weezing, and even more if Bisharp has a Life Orb. Iron Head could also flinch Galarian Weezing. Similarly, Mandibuzz could live a +2 Iron Head from Bisharp and do a good amount back with Foul Play, but+2 Iron Head is doing 63.2-74.5% while +2 Foul Play isn't OHKOing either at 60.8-71.5%. Mandibuzz also really doesn't want to get its Boots Knocked Off. Clef obviously can't deal with Iron Head from Bisharp and Gengar is getting OHKOed by both Knock Off and Sucker Punch. So, that leaves Conkeldurr as usually my best Bisharp switch-in, unless I sac. Conk actually has decent physical bulk, doesn't mind getting Knocked Off if it's already burned, OHKOs Bisharp with Mach Punch, and resists Dark attacks so even at +2, Sucker Punch is only doing 43.5-51.2%. However, unboosted Iron Head is still doing 41.3-49% against Conk, and again, even more if it's Life Orb. If Conk is in range, Bisharp can also follow up with a Sucker Punch for 21.6-25.6% before Mach Punch comes out. Conk can get worn down pretty quickly anyway with being burned, so I don't really like switching it into much, but I don't think I have a better option most of the time against Bisharp.

Salazzle isn't a very common Pokemon in OU and I'm not sure it's worth listing as a threat, since I'm probably overlooking more relevant threats, but I want to give it a mention. Its Sub-Toxic set can be really annoying and it's fast and strong enough with good offensive typing in Fire-Poison to threaten my team. Sludge Wave from Salazzle 2HKOs Clef and Clef can't really do anything back to it. Salazzle outruns Gengar and Flamethrower 2HKOs, while Shadow Ball from Gengar doesn't OHKO Salazzle back. Mandibuzz and especially Seismitoad can wall Salazzle and threaten in back, but neither of them want to switch into a Toxic. Salazzle actually can't Toxic Galarian Weezing because Neutralizing Gas removes its ability, Corrosion, but Galarian Weezing can't do much to Salazzle back and gets 2HKOed by both Flamethrower and Sludge Wave. Conkeldurr can't be poisoned by Salazzle either if it's already burned, but it gets 2HKOed as well by both Flamethrower and Sludge Wave and Mach Punch only does 31-36.8% back (although that is enough after a Shadow Ball from Gengar that does 70.7-83.7%).

Replays:
I'll link a few replays here. I mentioned this in the intro, but I'm feeling a little burned out with Pokemon at the minute and I often prefer theorycrafting and team building right now over actually playing, so I didn't try to ladder much with this team. The replays are mostly in the 1500s and don't show pristine play or anything, but I think they give an idea of how the team works.

Replay 1 - This replay shows how destructive Conkeldurr can be as it essentially takes down Excadrill, Aegislash, and Clefable by itself. Knock Off on Seismitoad comes in pretty big by removing the opposing Clefable's Life Orb. Galarian Weezing also puts in work, significantly damaging Ferrothorn and OHKOing Hydreigon with Strange Steam when I call out the switch. I really fool around way too much with Ferrothorn after sniping the Hydreigon and I should have just KOed it with Galarian Weezing or Conk way earlier instead of trying to be cute and catch another switch, but it doesn't end up costing me. Galarian Weezing tanking a Choice Band Pyro Ball and putting Cinderace in Mach Punch range was also big.

Replay 2 - This game shows how big of a threat Primarina can be to my team. This one was Choice Specs and I end up needing to sac a few times to it. Gengar plays a big role by outspeeding Primarina and threatening it out with Sludge Wave. Gengar also comes up huge in this game by OHKOing Corviknight with Thunderbolt after a Nasty Plot and later beating Mandibuzz with Sludge Wave into Thunderbolt. The worth of Black Sludge on Gengar is also apparent in this game because he ends up recovering from 39% to 76% over the course of the game. Conk's breaking ability and Clef bringing in Conk with Teleport is on display, and OHKOing Primarina with Facade was big to remove that threat, but my opponent made a mistake by switching to it anyway. Finally, Mandibuzz's value is shown throughout this game; Mandibuzz OHKOs Aegislash (again though, my opponent shouldn't have stayed in there), and cleans up late against the opposing Seismitoad and Necrozma. Taunt on Mandibuzz is big in this game too because it prevents a Toxic from Seismitoad earlier in the game, forcing it out and allowing for a crucial Roost, and also prevents potential boosting shenanigans by Necrozma late, just in case.

Replay 3 - This game is a little longer and I think it does the best job of fully showcasing my team. You see a lot of the little interactions I've talked about, like Mandibuzz shutting down Ferrothorn with Taunt, bringing in Conkeldurr with U-turn from Mandibuzz to safely activate his Flame Orb, and how good Knock Off from Conk is as it removes Toxapex's Black Sludge and also puts it in Facade range. My opponent ends up switching out of the Facade that would have KOed Pex but essentially throws away Hydreigon in doing so. Seismitoad does its job by getting up Rocks and Knocking Off Ferrothorn, which in combination with Taunt, allows Mandibuzz to beat it down later. Galarian Weezing also helps as a secondary check to Court Change Cinderace and significantly brings its health down. Mandibuzz's special defensive presence is also big in this game as a check to Choice Specs Dragapult, being able to Roost up even after a Shadow Ball Special Defense drop. Gengar's breaking ability is displayed again as it OHKOs Excadrill with a +2 Shadow Ball (that's a guaranteed OHKO) and cleans up against Ferrothorn. Cursed Body even plays a role by disabling Toxapex's Scald. I really wish that my opponent didn't forfeit at the end because I think it would have been an interesting end game, but I probably should have had it from there. I think I would have likely had to sac Galarian Weezing/bring it in on a potential Draco Meteor from Dragapult. Eventually, Mandibuzz would have likely been able to come in, Roost up and take it from there. If my opponent brought out Cinderace next, things could have been a little more complicated for me, especially if it had Sucker Punch to prevent Mach Punch from Conk, but I think I could sac Galarian Weezing again in that scenario, gone Seismitoad, and been alright from there. So I'll never be able to know exactly how things would have played out, but I think I was in a good spot and I feel like the game leading up to the forfeit showed my team well.

Conclusion:
I get that this post is way too long and I apologize for that; I just like writing about things like this and I anticipate this will be my last long post in a while, so I wanted to make it a detailed one. I don't really expect anyone to read through all of this and it was more just for me, but I really appreciate anyone who even glances it over. This is probably the team in SS OU that I've had the most fun with, and that's really what I've been looking to build - something a little more unique that I can have fun with but is still also solid. I get that this team could probably be improved overall if I replaced Galarian Weezing with Rotom-Heat or something, but I don't really want to do that because I have come to love Galarian Weezing and finding different uses for Neutralizing Gas is about as much fun as I've had with SS. So anyway, any thoughts or feedback is always appreciated and thanks to anyone who looks this over!

Weezing-Galar (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Strange Steam
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 7 Spe
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Teleport

Mandibuzz @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 156 SpD / 100 Spe
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- U-turn
- Taunt

Seismitoad (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Conkeldurr (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Facade

Last edited:
Awesome team man! I love using mons besides OU meta and Weezing has conquered my heart, well done! The team is very well rounded so I’m not finding any flaws except the Kyurem weakness but still Clef can do stuff in that pairing.

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
Awesome team man! I love using mons besides OU meta and Weezing has conquered my heart, well done! The team is very well rounded so I’m not finding any flaws except the Kyurem weakness but still Clef can do stuff in that pairing.
Thank you very much for the kind words!! And yeah, Kyurem can be a pain, but with Clef combined with Conk, and to a lesser extent Gengar, there are at least some ways to try to play around it.

Last edited:
Love to see the item sprites man, glad I was able to influence people through my ideas.

Also it might honestly be a bit controversial but I honestly prefer Drain Punch over CC on Conk (at least back in that meta; this comment is super outdated). Drain gives Conk at least some staying power, given you take burn damage every turn, and other factors like hazards, sand and Rocky Helmet and Iron Barbs, whereas CC does quite the opposite. I also used to like Substitute on Gengar, because +2 STAB moves did the damage they needed to anyway. Also very interesting to see a team without a Steel-type! Like I said the comment is super outdated but I can see how the squad would function back in the pre-DLC meta. Awesome team, and Galar Weezing is a fire pick.

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
Love to see the item sprites man, glad I was able to influence people through my ideas.

Also it might honestly be a bit controversial but I honestly prefer Drain Punch over CC on Conk (at least back in that meta; this comment is super outdated). Drain gives Conk at least some staying power, given you take burn damage every turn, and other factors like hazards, sand and Rocky Helmet and Iron Barbs, whereas CC does quite the opposite. I also used to like Substitute on Gengar, because +2 STAB moves did the damage they needed to anyway. Also very interesting to see a team without a Steel-type! Like I said the comment is super outdated but I can see how the squad would function back in the pre-DLC meta. Awesome team, and Galar Weezing is a fire pick.
Thank you very much! And yeah this team was built in the pre-DLC, post-Home meta, so it's pretty outdated now, but I was happy with how it functioned back then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)