BSS Gallade [QC 1/1][GP 1/1]

Let me know if I missed anything big here, particularly as it relates to coverage moves. For example, on the Choice Scarf set I prioritized disruption options over full offense.

[SET]
name: All-out Attacker
move 1: Sacred Sword
move 2: Psycho Cut
move 3: Shadow Sneak / Feint / Leaf Blade
move 4: Night Slash / Knock Off / Leaf Blade
item: Focus Sash / Assault Vest
ability: Sharpness
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
tera type: Ghost / Grass / Steel

[SET COMMENTS]

* With its wide range of moveset options and its offense-boosting ability Sharpness, Gallade is excellent at dueling a wide variety of threats.

* **Shadow Sneak versus Feint**: Shadow Sneak is far more consistent as a priority move and deals good damage to targets like Flutter Mane and Gholdengo. Feint is used mostly for winning Focus Sash duels against Chien-Pao's Ice Shard and Sucker Punch.

* **Night Slash versus Knock Off**: Night Slash's consistent power is best for pure offense, potentially 2HKOing targets like Bold Gholdengo, assuming they can’t stall with Recover and Rocky Helmet. If more utility is desired, Knock Off can be used for removing opposing items.

* **Leaf Blade**: Fully invested Sharpness Leaf Blade has a 75% chance of OHKOing 252 HP Azumarill and is Gallade's best hope of muscling past Dondozo.

Other Options
========

* **Aqua Cutter**: Aqua Cutter benefits from Sharpness, but it doesn't add a lot of extra coverage and should only be used for hitting very specific targets like Volcarona.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Low**: Gallade uses Focus Sash or Assault Vest as its main tool for cushioning a big hit and has great natural coverage. Therefore, Tera is reserved mostly for emergency situations.

* **Ghost**: Tera Ghost's immunity to Normal- and Fighting-type moves can thwart revenge kill attempts from Mach Punch users and Extreme Speed Dragonite, giving Gallade an opportunity to break Multiscale on the latter.

* **Grass**: Tera Grass improves the lead matchup versus Breloom; if Gallade successfully baits a Spore, most sets can beat Breloom without losing Focus Sash. Leaf Blade also becomes an easy 2HKO on Dondozo.

* **Steel**: Tera Steel flips Gallade's weakness to Fairy-type attacks to a resistance. The Ice resistance can also be used in a pinch to keep Baxcalibur's Icicle Spear from OHKOing Gallade through Focus Sash.

Items
========

* **Focus Sash**: With Focus Sash, Gallade duels opposing Focus Sash users with its hard-hitting STAB attacks and priority moves.

* **Assault Vest**: Gallade has enough Special Defense to make good use of Assault Vest if Focus Sash is already taken, comfortably surviving unboosted hits from targets like Chi-Yu. Furthermore, Assault Vest isn't rendered useless by Stealth Rock chip, making Gallade a safer mid- or late-game option.

* **Scope Lens**: While Scope Lens is risky due to Gallade's average bulk and Speed, it pairs well with the increased critical hit ratio many of Gallade's attacks have.

EV Spreads
========

* **252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with Adamant**: A maximum offense spread is standard for Focus Sash and Speed ties with offensive Adamant Dragonite.

* **196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe with Adamant**: For sets that run Assault Vest over Focus Sash, this slower spread avoids the OHKO from Focus Sash Chien-Pao's Icicle Crash after Stealth Rock damage. The Speed investment gets the jump on 4 Speed Rotom-formes letting Gallade deal as much damage as possible before getting hit with a burn.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 3: Trick / Knock Off
move 4: Knock Off / Night Slash / Leaf Blade
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly / Adamant
tera type: Ghost / Grass

[SET COMMENTS]

* With both Trick and Knock Off, Gallade is a decent anti-lead against several early game setups.

* **Trick**: Trick with Choice Scarf lets Gallade permanently cripple setup Pokemon like Annihilape and Garganacl.

* **Knock Off versus Night Slash**: Knock Off remains a strong disruption move with or without Trick, provided you exercise caution if you’ve already used Trick. Night Slash has more offensive presence than Knock Off and is a good choice if you really need to hit Gholdengo with consistent damage.

* **Leaf Blade**: Leaf Blade is a great coverage option and, if Trick isn't available, your best move against Dondozo.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Low**: Choice Scarf Gallade normally isn't a strong user of Tera. It is best used in situations where Gallade already has momentum and needs to preserve it.

* **Ghost**: Tera Ghost grants immunity to Mach Punch and Extreme Speed, letting Gallade keep its speed advantage against several targets.

* **Grass**: Tera Grass can surprise Spore users like Breloom, letting Gallade score an easy knockout or cripple them with Trick. Leaf Blade also becomes a 2HKO against Dondozo.

* **Fighting**: Tera Fighting is a no-nonsense option for making Sacred Sword hit harder.

* **Psychic**: Tera Psychic boosts Psycho Cut while removing Gallade’s Fairy weakness.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/photon.516307/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/derpysux.528485/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/lumari.232216/

Last edited:
Well I'll look it over as I'm interested in this Mon and little typically happens for bss, but for now abbreviate speed as spe, not SpD.

Well I'll look it over as I'm interested in this Mon and little typically happens for bss, but for now abbreviate speed as spe, not SpD.
I did have Spd (lowercase instead of capital) on accident in the set description so I did fix that. SpD though is an abbreviation for Special Defense and that is supposed to be in there.

yes. I use SpD w/ capital too. Spd isn't terribly misleading in chronological order but even so thx.

EDIT: wonder if Fury Cutter could be used. W/ Sharpness a turn 2 or higher one is op...only issue is coverage isn't great usually. Grass/darks are weak to fighting already, there aren't that many other grasses, and psychics are very rare. Still, no immunities unlike STABs, and it's good to use on an unknown switch, since then you set it up to become powerful.

Last edited:

DerpySuX

TABLES FLIPPED NOW WE GOT ALL THE COCONUTS BITCH
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
My PS avatar is ORAS Wally so I feel obliged to check this

This may just be my experience but I see Knock Off and Night Slash more than Leaf Blade, enough to where I’d re order the slashes to reflect that.

I would also still slash in Shadow Sneak on the scarf set, it seems redundant but with Booster Energy Fmane and Iron Bundle being relatively common, it has merit.

Apart from those minor notes, you seem to have covered everything I can think of that relates to Gallade. This looks very good, QC APPROVED

My PS avatar is ORAS Wally so I feel obliged to check this

This may just be my experience but I see Knock Off and Night Slash more than Leaf Blade, enough to where I’d re order the slashes to reflect that.

I would also still slash in Shadow Sneak on the scarf set, it seems redundant but with Booster Energy Fmane and Iron Bundle being relatively common, it has merit.

Apart from those minor notes, you seem to have covered everything I can think of that relates to Gallade. This looks very good, QC APPROVED
Leaf Blade is higher usage but that's probably because Knock Off and Night Slash are splitting that Dark-type usage. With that in mind, I agree that adjusting the slashes is appropriate.

Also, you still need to ping the GP Team.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
[SET]
name: All-out Attacker

[SET COMMENTS]

* With its excellent wide range of (repetition) moveset options and its offense-boosting ability Sharpness, Gallade is excellent at dueling a wide variety of threats.

* **Shadow Sneak versus Feint**: Shadow Sneak is far more consistent as a priority move and deals good damage to targets like Flutter Mane and Gholdengo. Feint is used mostly for winning Focus Sash duels against Chien-Pao's Ice Shard and Sucker Punch.

* **Night Slash versus Knock Off**: Night Slash’s Slash's consistent power is best for pure offense, potentially 2HKO'ing 2HKOing targets like Bold Gholdengo, assuming they can’t stall with Recover and Rocky Helmet. If more utility is desired, Knock Off can be used for removing opposing items.

* **Leaf Blade**: Fully invested Sharpness Leaf Blade has a 75% chance of OHKO'ing OHKOing 252 HP Azumarill (RC) and is your Gallade's best hope of muscling past Dondozo.

Other Options
========

* **Aqua Cutter**: Aqua Cutter benefits from Sharpness even if it doesn't add a lot of extra coverage, and it can surprise Volcarona and Skeledirge that might otherwise think they are safe.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Low**: Gallade uses Focus Sash or Assault Vest as its main tool for cushioning a big hit and has great natural coverage. Therefore, Tera is reserved mostly for emergency situations.

* **Ghost**: Tera Ghost's immunity to Normal- and Fighting-type moves can thwart revenge kill attempts from Mach Punch users and Extreme Speed Dragonite, giving Gallade an opportunity to break Multiscale on the latter.

* **Grass**: Tera Grass improves the lead matchup versus Breloom; if Gallade successfully baits a Spore, most sets can beat Breloom without losing Focus Sash. Leaf Blade also becomes an easy 2HKO on Dondozo.

* **Steel**: Tera Steel flips Gallade’s (fix apostrophe here too) weakness to Fairy-type attacks to a resistance. The Ice resistance can also be used in a pinch to keep Baxcalibur's Icicle Spear from OHKO'ing OHKOing Gallade through Focus Sash.

Items
========

* **Focus Sash**: With Focus Sash, Gallade duels opposing Focus Sash users with its hard-hitting STAB's STAB attacks and priority moves.

* **Assault Vest**: Gallade has enough Special Defense to make good use of Assault Vest if Focus Sash is already taken, comfortably surviving unboosted hits from targets like Chi-Yu. Furthermore, Assault Vest isn't rendered useless by Stealth Rock chip, making Gallade a safer option in the mid to late game mid- or late-game option.

* **Scope Lens**: While Scope Lens is risky due to Gallade's average bulk and Speed, it pairs well with the increased critical chance hit ratio many of Gallade's attacks have.

EV Spreads
========

* **252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with Adamant**: A maximum offense spread that is standard for Focus Sash. This and Speed ties with offensive Adamant Dragonite.

* **196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe with Adamant**: For sets that run Assault Vest over Focus Sash, this slower spread avoids the OHKO from Focus Sash Chien-Pao's Icicle Crash after Stealth Rock damage. The Speed investment outspeeds gets the jump on 4 Speed Rotom formes, (RH) letting Gallade deal as much damage as possible before getting hit with a burn.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* With both Trick and Knock Off, Gallade is a decent anti-lead against several early game setups.

* **Trick**: Trick with Choice Scarf lets Gallade permanently cripple setup Pokemon like Annihilape and Garganacl.

* **Knock Off versus Night Slash**: Knock Off remains a strong disruption move with or without Trick, provided you exercise caution if you’ve already tricked Choice Scarf to something used Trick. Night Slash has more offensive presence than Knock Off (RC) and is a good choice if you really need to hit Gholdengo with consistent damage.

* **Leaf Blade**: Leaf Blade is a great coverage option and, if Trick isn't available, your best move against Dondozo.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Low**: Choice Scarf Gallade normally isn't a strong user of Tera. It is best used in situations where Gallade already has momentum and needs to preserve it.

* **Ghost**: Tera Ghost grants immunity to Mach Punch and Extreme Speed, letting Gallade keep its speed advantage against several targets.

* **Grass**: Tera Grass can surprise Spore users like Breloom, letting Gallade score an easy knockout or crippling cripple them with a Choice Scarf Trick. Leaf Blade also becomes a 2HKO against Dondozo.

* **Fighting**: Tera Fighting is a no-nonsense option for making Sacred Sword hit harder.

* **Psychic**: Tera Psychic boosts Psycho Cut while removing Gallade’s Fairy weakness.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/photon.516307/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/derpysux.528485/
Grammar checked by:

GP Team done

Last edited:
amcheck!

Add Remove Comment
[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker

[SET COMMENTS]

* With its excellent widespread (repetition) moveset options and its offense-boosting ability Sharpness, Gallade is excellent at dueling a wide variety of threats.

* **Night Slash versus Knock Off**: Night Slash’s consistent power is best for pure offense, potentially 2HKOing (remove apostrophe) targets like Bold Gholdengo, assuming they can’t stall with Recover and outlast Rocky Helmet. If more utility is desired, Knock Off can be used instead for removing opposing items.

* **Leaf Blade**: Fully invested Sharpness Leaf Blade has a 75% chance of OHKOing (remove apostrophe) 252 HP Azumarill, and is your best hope of muscling past Dondozo.

Other Options
========

* **Aqua Cutter**: Aqua Cutter also benefits from Sharpness even if it doesn't add a lot of extra coverage, and it can surprise Volcarona and Skeledirge that might otherwise think they are safe. (a tiny bit confused as to why Skeledirge would feel safe vs a Gallade when it could be carrying Sharpness-boosted Night Slash)

Tera Types
========

* **Steel**: Tera Steel flips Gallade’s weakness to Fairy-type attacks into Fairy weakness into a resistance. The Ice resistance can also be used in a pinch to keep Baxcalibur's Icicle Spear from OHKOing (remove apostrophe) through Focus Sash.

Items
========

* **Focus Sash**: With Focus Sash, Gallade duels opposing Focus Sash users with its hard-hitting STABs (remove apostrophe) and priority moves.

* **Assault Vest**: Gallade has enough Special Defense to make good use of Assault Vest if Focus Sash is already taken, comfortably surviving unboosted hits from targets like Chi-Yu. Furthermore, Assault Vest isn't rendered useless by Stealth Rock chip damage, making Gallade a safer option in the mid to late game mid- to late-game.

* **Scope Lens**: While Scope Lens is risky due to Gallade's average bulk and Speed, it pairs well with the increased critical chance critical-hit ratio that many of Gallade's attacks have.

EV Spreads
========

* **252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with Adamant**: A maximum offense spread that is standard for Focus Sash For Focus Sash sets, this is the standard maximum offense spread. This It Speed ties with offensive Adamant Dragonite.

* **196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe with Adamant**: For sets that run Assault Vest over Focus Sash, this slower spread avoids the OHKO from Focus Sash Chien-Pao's Icicle Crash after Stealth Rock damage. The Speed investment outspeeds gets ahead on 4 Speed Rotom formes (remove hyphen), letting Gallade deal as much damage as possible before getting hit with a burn.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* **Knock Off versus Night Slash**: Knock Off remains a strong disruption move with or without Trick, provided you exercise caution if you’ve already tricked Choice Scarf to something used Trick. Night Slash has more offensive presence than Knock Off (RC) and is a good choice if you really need to hit Gholdengo with consistent damage.

Tera Types
========

* **Ghost**: Tera Ghost grants immunity to Mach Punch and Extreme Speed, letting Gallade keep its Speed speed advantage against several targets.

* **Grass**: Tera Grass can surprise Spore users like Breloom, letting Gallade score an easy knockout or crippling cripple them with a Choice Scarf Trick. Leaf Blade also becomes a 2HKO against Dondozo.

Last edited:
GP changes implemented and ready for the Dex.

EDIT: Read through YashGreninja's check real quick and noticed that he is right about the Aqua Cutter bullet. Not sure it is still worth mentioning but HOME is undergoing maintenance (can't check usage) so for now I've rewritten it. Assuming no problems there, this is still good to go.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)