Game Boy Link Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we all know, what we typically think of as RBY is quite different from what we'd be playing if we were linking Game Boys to battle with actual 1st generation Pokémon game cartridges. And for good reason. The RBY metagame we know and love couldn't have evolved without the mitigation of various issues that are recognized as being greatly unbalancing and/or making luck too big of a factor compared to skill.

But it's not just bans and rules that separate what we play from the real thing. It's also the near-inevitable existence of differences between the mechanics of the original games and the mechanics implemented in simulators. That's why, for example, Wrap wasn't even a thing until just a few years ago, and now it's recognized as a significant force in the metagame. And it's why we only recently made the momentous discovery that Normal types cannot be paralyzed by Body Slam, which means we've played the game wrong for about 15 years, and most if not all of the competitive matches and tournaments played prior to the discovery are essentially invalid. The metagame, beloved though it be, has in fact been greatly influenced by major and minor mechanics errors from its very beginning and throughout its history. In a way, we've only just begun to actually play RBY.

Or have we? We still don't comprehensively know every last detail of cartridge mechanics. It seems all too likely that, at some point down the line, the metagame will yet again be overthrown by another important new discovery.

Okay okay, I'll just come out and say it: I want to try battling with the original Pokémon games. Many of you may think that's madness. Madness? Perhaps. It may be. But is it any greater madness than 15 years of Chansey and Tauros and Persian and Snorlax all being susceptible to paralysis from Body Slam? I think not.

I'm sure playing the actual games would never replace playing under the civilized rules we all take for granted, but that doesn't mean they're not worth playing at all. I long to experience "the real thing", if only just for fun and nostalgia and to satisfy my curiosity. But in fact I suspect it may be good for more than just that. I suspect that a halfway-decent Link Battle metagame could actually develop, if enough people played enough times. Surely, luck would be a bigger factor than we're used to, but that in itself doesn't spell doom for meaningful competition. There might be an increased chance of losing when you play better or winning when you play worse, but in the long run wins and losses would balance out to paint accurate statistical pictures of players' relative skill levels (so it's not enough to just play once or a few times; you have to play a whole lot if you want good results ;P). And of course, the ability to play the odds is itself a type of skill.

If you didn't know, the Game Boy emulator BGB can be used to link and play Game Boy games over the internet. I haven't actually done it yet, but it seems pretty easy. And there's a great save file editor that can function as a team builder. But make a backup copy of your save first, because one time for some reason it erased all of my Pokémon in Box 12. Not sure what that was about. But really it's a great save editor if you backup your saves.

I have, in fact, constructed a team which I hope would perform well in Link Battle RB Ubers. By "RB" I mean just Red and Blue, meaning that only Pokémon and moves available prior to the release of Yellow are legal. In Ubers this appears to make no significant difference as to movepools, but one interesting consequence of it is that Mew is banned, because the first Roman-alphabet Mew distribution came after the first Roman-alphabet release of Pokémon Yellow (I think it would probably be better to have Mewtwo banned instead, but hey, I don't make the rules, I just interpret them ;P). Of course I plan to also make Link Battle teams for RBY and RBY+Stadium and even RBY+Stadium+Gen2Tradebacks, but I feel like it's only right to start at the beginning and then progress in chronological order.

Aside from the RB specification, I think a few basic rules would be beneficial, despite the anarchic spirit of Link Battle. I propose a rather minimalist system of but a single clause: The Normal Gameplay Clause, which means your team can include anything that you could theoretically obtain without hacking or taking advantage of glitches. However, once the battle begins, all glitches are fair game (as they must be). This means, for example, you can't start a battle with more than 32 current PP for Wrap, but if its PP underflows during the battle then that's perfectly fine.

So if anybody wants to try a Link Battle according to those terms, then that would be awesome. PM me if you want to arrange a BGB battle. I'm generally only available on weekends and Friday nights, and probably minus Sunday once school starts, but I can usually plan ahead to make time on another day if need be.

Last edited:
The reason that these mechanics weren't discovered earlier is because we didn't have the pokered dissasembly or anyone that cared enough about researching the game. I can't say the same for gen 2, but with the research I did in gen 1 I'm pretty sure there's hardly anything relevant left, only very minor details if anything. There's just not more code related to the battle engine to investigate. Simulators may not be fully accurate yet though.

I've been finding a lot of inaccuracies after just a few dozen random battles on PS. It's great that the code's been disassembled and analyzed, but a lot of mechanics details still aren't common knowledge, which is part of the reason why there are still so many sim inaccuracies being reported one by one (no offense to the developers; PS is great). We may have all the code, but as far as I know there isn't anything close to comprehensive documentation of it or of the game mechanics. Maybe the best example of a move where nobody seems to be sure exactly how it's supposed to work is Bide.

But anyway, speaking of what the code does, perhaps you can help with something I have been wondering about lately: Does each hit of Twineedle have its own chance to poison? Or does the move have only one chance to poison, applied after both hits?

Last edited:
But anyway, speaking of what the code does, perhaps you can help with something I have been wondering about lately: Does each hit of Twineedle have its own chance to poison? Or does the move have only one chance to poison, applied after both hits?
http://pages.citebite.com/k4k5v7r1y7lsh

If you want to know anything about Bide just control+f it in that thread. There's also this (http://pastebin.com/ruSQAmuD) in regards to how Bide affects the damage. A consequence of what's explained in that pastebin is the existence of these Bide glitches: www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVxHGyNDW4g (glitch 2 should be ignored in competitive battling given that it leads to the games desyncing).

I can't believe I didn't read that thread already. I overlooked it because it's tagged All Gens instead of Gen 1.

All the same, I think it'll at the very least be a long while before the mechanics are simulated perfectly. Currently BGB seems to be the only way to experience true Link Battle mechanics (other than actually linking two Game Boys together, of course).

Last edited:
If this is essentially Gen I Anything Goes, with all in-battle glitches including Dig/Fly invincibility in force and only the bare minimum set of clauses, such as No Desync Clause (pulling it off is voluntary; a judge could theoretically rule that the move is illegal) and No Out-of-Battle Glitch Clause like you mentioned, I'd be all in for it.

(Very tangential note: I'm not sure what came of the Dig/Fly invincibility glitch discussion from a while back, but is it being "patched" out on Showdown or just the two moves banned? I'd much be in favor of the latter; I've never been a fan of altering cartridge mechanics whatsoever, even the HP Percentage Mod.)

Yep, Gen I Anything Goes is probably the most succinct way to describe it. Basically just playing the unmodified games with emulators and no bans (except "pseudo-bans" potentially resulting from the chosen time period format; e.g. Gen 2 tradeback moves are only legal in Tradebacks, Mew isn't legal in RB, etc.). Although I could see eventually making a tier list if a metagame gets a chance to emerge.

I actually hadn't thought about what to do about desyncs. Here goes.

-About 99.9% of the time, Counter desyncs could be prevented by players being careful about what move they leave the cursor on. But there is the possibility of exceptional situations, but I'm not going to go there unless someone wants me to.
-Defrost desyncs could probably only be prevented by prohibiting players from using a Defrosting move when the opponent's active mon is frozen and not faster. But that could interfere significantly with gameplay; for example, you might want to use a Fire move to hit what you think your opponent will switch to. I guess there could be a "defrost at your own risk, and if it desyncs then you lose" policy, but that seems overly burdensome to the player who risks defrosting the opponent's mon, and in rare cases could even be exploited by a player who has a frozen mon. And in theory, players don't even have to use max stats, so in some cases you might not even be 100% sure whether or not the opponent is faster.
-Mirror Move + Wrap desyncs could only be prevented by prohibiting players from switching out of a Mirrored Wrap-like move. Or banning Mirror Move or Wrap-like moves, but I definitely don't want any move bans. Especially since Wrap is a major force and Mirror Move is often a decent option for things that learn it.
-Psywave desyncs could only be prevented by banning Psywave. Psywave is practically never used competitively, but in theory it's not completely outclassed by any other move (How else is Butterfree supposed to deal damage to Exeggutor? lol), and also as a matter of philosophy I don't want any moves banned.

Psywave is the most difficult case to deal with, since the only prevention is a straight-up move ban which is something I want to avoid. So I'll just focus on Psywave for now. Clearly, if Psywave is allowed, there is the possibility of desyncing. I think that's something I'm willing to accept. The question in my mind is what to do about it. Who wins and who loses in the event of a desync? Or is it a draw? While the most obvious approach might be for the player who used the culprit Psywave to be DQ'd in the event of a desync (use Psywave at your own risk), I have another possibility in mind. Can a desynced battle be completed in theory? I know the games can freeze, and I know the glitch battles can go on for a long time if not indefinitely, but is it also possible for one or both players to get to the end of the battle? Because if so, it might be cool to do something like this:

-If your screen says you win, you lose, or it was a draw, then it's true. Even if your opponent's screen says otherwise. So (maybe) it would be possible for both players to win/lose, or one win/lose and the other have a draw. Pokémon would cease to be a zero-sum game.
-If your game freezes, you have no battle outcome. You did not win, lose, or draw.
-If you quit the battle even though it is still playable, then you lose, just as if you were to quit a synchronized battle. [But if it can be proven that there was no way for you to finish the battle, then it can be treated as equivalent to a game freeze (no battle outcome).]

If this were applied for Psywave desyncs then it could be applied the same way for all other desyncs. I think it would be neat. But I'm open to hearing other ideas for desync policies (with no move bans), especially since I've never really thought about this until now.

As for Dig/Fly on PS, I'm pretty sure the moves have been implemented correctly and banned. I also am a cartridge mechanics purist, but I could see someday working on a completely "fixed" mod of the game; something where Focus Energy and everything else works more or less how it's supposed to. But my sentiment is, either make it perfect or don't change it all.

Last edited:
I can make a modded RBY to fix what you need. I have Crystal_'s dissasembly of RBY, and have gotten somewhat proficient at it. Here's an example of what I've been able to do with RBY so far: www.pokemonperfect.com/forums/index.php?threads/violet-version-gen-1-mod.3268 (towards the bottom of the thread).

I'd like a list of things you'd need for a 'fixed' version, right now I've got this:
Fix Counter desync.
Fix Defrost desync.
Fix Mirror Move + Wrap Desync.
Fix Psywave desync.
Fix Focus Energy - Doesn't hurt anything. You could simply ban focus energy for Cartridge-accurate RBY since no one would use it otherwise.

For Dig/Fly, there's 3 ways I can tackle it - Either fix Fly/Dig invulnerability, leave it as is, or implement auto-selection of Fly/Dig if you select 'FIGHT' if the Pokemon gained invulnerability from either move, forcing players to rid themselves of invulnerability by successfully executing the move or switch out (technically possible to enforce on cartridge via ruling that using anything but Fly/Dig or switching out when the invulnerability glitch occurs is considered illegal and an automatic loss).

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer, but at this time, I couldn't make a complete list of the things that I'd want to change, since there are so many bugs and glitches and I probably don't know every single one. Also there are some pretty tough (at least, tough for me) questions about whether or not certain things should be changed, since programmers' intentions aren't always clear (e.g. should Psychic be weak to Ghost? Should Ghost be immune to Psychic?). Ultimately I'd need to analyze the disassembled code myself before I knew exactly what I wanted. That's usually the best way to try and figure out what's a bug and what's intentional. E.g. that's how Crystal_ discovered that critical hits should probably be four times less likely. Anyway, it would be a cool future project, but before focusing on a fixed RBY I'd like to try playing the real RBY semi-competitively, which is something I (and most others) have never really gotten to do before. But for what it's worth, I'll list some changes I'd want to make off the top of my head.
-Fix Fly/Dig invulnerability
-Fix all desync possibilities
-Swap the critical hit probabilities for with-Focus-Energy and without-Focus-Energy
-Fix recovery move failure
-Fix critical hits ignoring (some? all?) stat modifiers
-Fix critical hits being calculated with original stats while Transformed
-Fix Burn/Para stat drops being re-applied when opponent uses stat-modifying moves
-Fix Burn/Para stat drops being undone when the corresponding stat is boosted (despite how much fun I had sweeping with a paralyzed Beedrill in a recent randbat)
-Fix Burn/Para stat drops not being reset by Rest
-Fix PP rollovers
-Fix type effectiveness messages for dual-type targets
-Fix immobilization from using Hyper Beam and then getting frozen before recharging and then getting unfrozen by Haze
-Fix self-inflicted confusion damage being prevented by Substitute
-Fix self-inflicted confusion damage being increased by Reflect
-Fix division by zero

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)