Game of Thrones [thronies rejoice! XD]

temp.png

Hi there, people :-) ! I wanted to make this thread because, as I was scrolling down the titles in The Great Library section, I didn't see any mention of this TV show that I adore, so I thought I'd make one. This TV series is an adaptation of a famous series of novels, A Song of Ice & Fire, by George R. R. Martin. I've already ate all the books last year and I don't regret it. Although the novels deserved a thread all alone, I thought it was a good idea to unite them with the show. Here, we'll focus more on the TV-show, since it is far more widespread (-correct me If I'm wrong-).

Seven noble families fight for control of the mythical land of Westeros. Political and sexual intrigue is pervasive. Robert Baratheon, King of Westeros, asks his old friend Eddard, Lord Stark, to serve as Hand of the King, or highest official. Secretly warned that the previous Hand was assassinated, Eddard accepts in order to investigate further. Meanwhile the Queen's family, the Lannisters, may be hatching a plot to take power. Across the sea, the last members of the previous and deposed ruling family, the Targaryens, are also scheming to regain the throne. The friction between the houses Stark, Lannister and Baratheon, and with the remaining great houses Greyjoy, Tully, Arryn, and Tyrell, leads to full-scale war. All while a very ancient evil awakens in the farthest north. Amidst the war and political confusion, a neglected military order of misfits, the Night's Watch, is all that stands between the realms of men and icy horrors beyond.

This was the plot of the show, for those who didn't see it and maybe wanted to talk about it. Now, I'm going to post the "recaps" of the first seasons (-there are three seasons right now-), for those who have seen the TV-series, but can't seem to remember it all. (!) SPOILERS (!)
Season 1 spans a period of several months on a world where the seasons last for years at a time. The action begins in the unified Seven Kingdoms of Westeros as the long summer ends and winter draws near. Lord Eddard Stark is asked by his old friend, King Robert Baratheon, to serve as the King's Hand following the death of the previous incumbent, Eddard's mentor Jon Arryn. Eddard is reluctant, but receives intelligence suggesting that Jon was murdered. Eddard accepts Robert's offer, planning to use his position and authority to investigate the alleged murder.
Meanwhile, on the eastern continent of Essos, the exiled children of House Targaryen, which Robert destroyed to claim the throne, are plotting to return to Westeros and unseat the 'usurper'. To this end, Viserys Targaryen arranges the marriage of his sister Daenerys to Khal Drogo, the leader of 40,000 Dothraki warriors, in return for the use of his warriors in invading Westeros. For her part, Daenerys just wants to find a safe refuge far away from King Robert's assassins and her brother's scheming ambition.
Finally, on the northern-most border of the Seven Kingdoms the sworn brothers of the Night's Watch guard the Wall, a 300-mile-long colossal fortification of ice which has stood for thousands of years. The Watch defends the Wall against the depredations of the lawless wildlings who live beyond, but rumour speaks of a new threat arising in the lands of perpetual winter.
Season 2 spans several months on a world where the seasons last for years at a time. The Seven Kingdoms are at war, with the King in the North, Robb Stark, fighting to win independence for his people and those of the Riverlands. Robb decides that he must win the allegiance of the fiercely independent ironborn to his cause, and sends his best friend Theon Greyjoy to treat with his father, who is hatching plans of his own. Meanwhile, Joffrey Baratheon holds the Iron Throne with the backing of the powerful House Lannister, but his uncle Renly has also claimed the throne with the support of House Tyrell, whose armies are much larger. As they struggle for the throne, Tyrion Lannister arrives in King's Landing to take matters in hand, only to face opposition from his scheming sister, Cersei, now the Queen Regent. However, there is another faction entering the picture. Stannis Baratheon, Robert's younger brother and Renly's older, has also claimed the Iron Throne. A proven battle commander and veteran of several wars, Stannis is known to be utterly without mercy to his enemies and will do what is right even if it destroys him. Advising him is Melisandre, an enigmatic priestess from the east, who believes Stannis is meant for a greater destiny, and Ser Davos Seaworth, an honest and honorable man uneasy with the shifts in power at Stannis' court.
Far to the east, Daenerys Targaryen has hatched the only three dragons in the world. Eventually they will grow into terrifying monsters capable of destroying cities at her command, but for now they are still hatchlings and vulnerable. With her khalasar gone, Daenerys and her small band of followers must find a way across a forbidding wasteland and find new allies to support her claim to the Iron Throne.
In the distant north, the Night's Watch has mounted an expedition beyond the Wall, searching for missing rangers and investigating rumours of wildlings gathering in the mountains. For Jon Snow this will be a rite of passage as he is asked to make difficult choices, for the realm and for himself.
Season 3 spans several months on a world where the seasons can last for years at a time. Autumn has fallen across the world, with winter not far behind. The people should be preparing for years of snow and ice, but the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros instead remain gripped by civil war. Would-be king Renly Baratheon has been assassinated, altering the alliances in the war. The cruel boy-king Joffrey Baratheon has won a great victory by securing an alliance with House Tyrell, with his supporters defeating his uncle Stannis in an epic battle. Joffrey now commands the largest armies in the realm and his triumph appears inevitable.
King Robb Stark remains in the field, however his homeland, the North, is partially under ironborn occupation. Robb needs to decide on a course of action to win an overall victory. He must also win back the allegiance of House Frey, whom he has offended by breaking his marriage pact to them. King Robb has won every battle he has fought, but as with old King Robert, the Starks will have to see if good soldiers make good kings.
Stannis Baratheon may be defeated and most of his army destroyed or scattered, but he is not out of the fight yet. Having retreated to his headquarters on Dragonstone island with his handful of surviving soldiers, Stannis' status as the last legitimate heir to his older brother Robert still casts a shadow over Joffrey's claim to the throne. With the priestess Melisandre at his side, Stannis can still influence the course of the war by striking where least expected.
The lives of many others still hang in the balance. Bran Stark and his protectors must cross the frozen wastelands of the North to reach the Wall, whilst Arya must brave the war-torn Riverlands in search of her mother and brother. Brienne also has the thankless task of taking the captive Jaime Lannister home across hundreds of miles of battlefields and carnage. Theon Greyjoy must face the consequences of his actions at Winterfell. And in King's Landing both Tyrion Lannister and Sansa Stark must brave the currents of a much more dangerous court in order to survive.

On the eastern continent, Daenerys Targaryen has fled the political viper-pit of Qarth. Her dragons are growing and her fame is spreading, but to take the Iron Throne she will need supporters and an army. Both may be found in the corrupt cities of Slaver's Bay... for a price.
Beyond the Wall, the White Walkers are on the move, threatening both the Seven Kingdoms and the lands of the Free Folk. While the Night's Watch faces the threat of the White Walkers in the field, Jon Snow must infiltrate the wildling army of Mance Rayder and discover the King-Beyond-the-Wall's plans.
In Game of Thrones, as in the Medieval history, there are Houses. To help you understand a bit more the storyline and make your head clear, [here] is a link to an illustrated guide.

My impressions on the whole series so far : In 24 years of TV consumerism, it is one of the best shows I've ever watched. And by far. A great story full of sudden developments and surprises, schemes everywhere, stories of honour and bravery, of hate and love. It is full of amazing actors, playing amazingly their roles. The characters are numerous et diversified, to the point that we could believe we're going to be lost but no... We just need two episodes and we're already hooked, we know who is who and who does what. We learn how to appreciate, idolize them. We tend to find all the big archetypes of characters, from the guy acting in the shadow to the henchman infallible including the kid you want to slap every ten seconds (each one of you will give these characteristics to their own vision of the characters). But, many shows have already offered us this. What distinguishes this show from the others are the means put together to realise the creators' vision : a fantastic production, sumptuous sets, successful special effects and above all, marvellous soundtracks ! The best soundtracks for a TV show since ages (-maybe since always-). And the opening... What an opening ! Wonderful. It is superb !

Your turn :​
  • As a "non-watcher", how do you feel about Game Of Thrones ? Will you watch it ? If yes, what are your reasons ? If not, why ?
  • As a follower of the show, are you excited about the 4th season of the show that will air around April 2014 ? Have you got any favorite character ? Why ? Why not ? Which season is your favorite / least favorite ? What are your favorite quote(s) from the show ? What are your favorite scenes ? Have you got funny gifs to share from the show ? Or, have you got any memes you want to share with us ?
I hope this thread will be useful for you, and that we can communicate in a cheerful and pleasant way ;-) !​

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This is a really fucking good OP and on an unrelated note I even like your sig, so it's really too bad that this thread already exists (and is quite long) here. But by all means please chat us up there.

Thank you very much for the fast reply ! I didn't see the other thread as I wasn't active this summer. I should have looked again. My mind was ready to make the thread...

The other thread hasn't had a response in 6 months and has a rather terrible opening post. I'm inclined to leave this one open unless anyone objects.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've watched season 1 and 2 only, but read all the books, so I think I can consider myself familiar with the series. I really like it. My sister is currently (while I'm writing this, actually) reading the first book, but since she hasn't watched the series, she has difficulties keeping up. I guess I'd have too, if I hadn't watched season 1 before taking on the books. With some eighteen hundred named characters over the course of the books, it's quite hard to keep track of everything while reading. The task is eased if you've watched an episode or three of the series, though: having faces to connect to the names really helps.

The series is also somewhat unique in that is has two levels of tension:
1) What will happen in the books? Where will the plot go? The fifth book ended on a mountain range of cliffs with all sorts of characters hanging everywhere. Anything can happen, given the series' tendency to kill off main characters and side characters alike. He's breaking conventions as he sees fit. I can't wait 'till the release of the sixth book.
2) Will the books happen at all? The author is past 60, overweight, and the fifth book was five years in the making. Will he finish this magnum opus, and get all seven books finished before he kicks the bucket, or will he pull a Robert Jordan and leave his work unfinished? Let's hope he stays in good health so he can write his series to an end. Unlike Jordan, he has stated he won't let anybody else finish the series, should he die before then. Luckily, the producers of the TV show have been told the main plot details, so they could finish the series in such an event.

They say the sixth book might get finished and released in 2014. In the mean time, I hope to get to watch season 3 and 4 of the show. Based on what I've seen of it already, it sounds like it could be really good.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
  • As a follower of the show, are you excited about the 4th season of the show that will air around April 2014 ? Have you got any favorite character ? Why ? Why not ? Which season is your favorite / least favorite ? What are your favorite quote(s) from the show ? What are your favorite scenes ? Have you got funny gifs to share from the show ? Or, have you got any memes you want to share with us ?
Nice OP. I've read all the books and watched and re-watched the three seasons of the TV series countless times. I'm pretty obsessed with the franchise as a whole. I'll do my best to answer the questions with as few spoilers from the books as possible.

Have you got a favorite character?

I really like Jaime and Littlefinger, but I have one out and out favourite character in the whole series and that is Stannis Baratheon, the one true king of Westeros.
A lot of TV show viewers dislike Stannis because he's been portrayed as humorless, cold and many people believe he is being manipulated by Melisandre. He was also presented as a villain of sorts when he was first introduced in the second season due to going up against Tyrion at the Blackwater. Aside from the coldness, a lot of this is far from the truth. I think his rigidness is often mistaken for humourlessness, however, Stannis has some of the funniest lines of any characters. He just has a very dry, sardonic delivery. He's the John Cleese of Westeros, very british.
His lack of popularity is probably also due to the fact that he's a bit of a grower in terms of character. You're not really supposed to like Stannis yet, in the same way that you were not supposed to like Jaime Lannister for the first two seasons. I think next season TV Stannis will gain a lot of followers. It's not until he reaches his next destination in the show that his true character really begins to reveal itself.

My favourite Stannnis quote that really sums up his character arc:
Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.

Which season is your favorite?

Probably season 2 as there's a lot more going on and we get to see a lot more of Tyrion and Stannis. Charles Dance absolutely stole season 3. Every Tywin Lannister scene is perfect.

What are your favorite quote(s) from the show?

You know what I learnt losing that duel? I learnt that I'll never win. Not that way. That's their game, their rules. I'm not going to fight them: I'm going to fuck them. That's what I know, that's what I am, and only by admitting what we are can we get what we want.
Petyr Baelish

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder.
Petyr Baelish

So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another.
Jaime Lannister

Foes and false friends are all around me, Lord Davos. They infest my city like roaches, and at night I feel them crawling over me.” The fat man’s fingers coiled into a fist, and all his chins trembled. “My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder’s bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with his friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.

What are your favorite scenes?

Every Tywin Lannister scene. Varys and Littlefinger's exchanges in the throne room. The contrast between Theon beheading Ser Rodrik and Robb beheading Lord Karstark is very nice to rewatch. Oh, and the Blackwater.

Have you got funny gifs to share from the show?

Just my Littlefinger reaction gifs:

Here's a fun question I've been discussing with friends recently that might be interesting to bring up. Who would you say is the outright best one on one fighter in recent Westeros history? We're talking anywhere from Robert's Rebellion up to present day. Possible candidates we usually bring up are:

Robert Baratheon - Robert's Rebellion
"the peerless Robert Baratheon, demon of the Trident, the fiercest warrior of the realm, a giant among princes."
"They said Robert Baratheon was strong as a bull and fearless in battle, a man who loved nothing better than war."

Robert in his prime is described by many as one of the greatest warriors in the realm. Robert is not only as strong as a bull, but he's also much faster and more strategic than other renowned big men such as the mountain. His weapon of choice makes him formidable in singles combat, as Rhaegar found out on The Trident. If a single blow can crush the breastplate of a warrior as skilled as Rhaegar, clad in the finest armour in the land, I can't really see a way for any other swordsman such as Jaime Lannister to have a hope of defeating Robert one on one. They would literally have to avoid being hit for the duartion of the battle and also find a way to stop the Baratheon usurper in his tracks. I think that in full armour, on horseback, warhammer in hand, Robert Baratheon is unstoppable, and probably gets my vote.

Barristan Selmy - Ninepenny Kings & Robert's Rebllion
"He remained a formidable fighter even in his advanced years, winning the championship of a tourney at King's Landing at the age of 57, and unhorsing Sandor Clegane in a tilt in the Tourney for Prince Joffrey's 12th Name Day, just a year prior to the outbreak of the War of the Five Kings."

Barristan is known throughout the land as one of the greatest knights of recent times. Even in his old age he is capable of beating younger men in tourneys, and in his prime he fought in many wars and defeated several skilled warriors in singles combat, proving that he is not just a tourney knight but the real deal. Technically perfect, fast, graceful. In a sword fight I don't think anyone bar perhaps Jaime Lannister and Arthur Dayne could best Barristan, but when it comes to dealing with a much larger foe wielding a warhammer, or the great six-foot greatsword of The Mountain, I'm not sure if Ser Barristan could withstand a heavy onslaught that these two men could dish out. He's going to have to make sure not to get hit even once, but then, if The Red Viper can do it with a spear, maybe Selmy can do it with a sword. Maybe.

Gregor Clegane - Pre-War of the Five Kings
"No other Knight in the realm inspires such terror in our enemies."

The Mountain That Rides is well known as the largest, strongest and most intimidating knight in the Seven Kingdoms. He has been known to hack a man in half with a single blow, and his thick plate armour in so heavy that no other man could move in battle with it. However, as we will soon see, for all his size and strength, Tywin's mad dog is thick as pigshit, slow and sluggish. He can be outmaneuvered and outwitted. I honestly think this is the wrong Clegane for the list. Sandor is 6-foot 8, much faster and much smarter. But most people seem to disagree, and Sandor would have problems with Jaime or Selmy one on one, so The Mountain makes the list on size and reputation alone.

Jaime Lannister - Pre-War of the Five Kings
"No knight in the Seven Kingdoms could have stood against him at his full strength, with no chains to hamper him. Jaime had done many wicked things, but the man could fight!"

The youngest member of the Kingsguard in History. The above quote alone sums up why Jaime has to be on the list. He is described throughout ASOIAF as the finest swordsman in the realm, even those who despise him acknowledge his ability, but something tells me that his arrogance would get the best of him in a fight with a truly dangerous foe. I also put him in the same group as Selmy in that I can't see any foreseeable way for him to deal with Robert's hammer one on one. He'd be turned to pulp inside that lovely white armour after a few good blows.

Other names that often come up are:

Khal Drogo - No armour, Arakh can't pierce armour. He wouldn't last a few minutes in Westeros.

Brienne of Tarth - Admits that she wouldn't have been able to fend off Jaime at full strength, so I can't realistically bring her up.

Arthur Dayne - A serious contender but nobody seems to remember who he is so I never bother bringing him up any more.

Ned Stark - Don't. Just don't.

I'd like to hear other opinions on this, and it might be a fun way to keep the thread alive between seasons, as I know a lot of the discussion that will probably take place here has already been done in the old thread.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've become a huge fan recently having read all the books then watching the TV, I'll answer the questions in time but for now I'm interested in how they adapt the second half of ASOS, because as we all know...

Joffrey is getting married, and from what I've read it could be as early as the second episode, I'm sure many TV only crowd is a bit disillusioned with the show what with Robb and all. They need to set up some more wedding stuff, then hopefully a full wedding episode. Ideally it goes like this.

Episode 1: Setting up wedding stuff, Sansa and Dontos setting up. This all seems mostly in the background compared to everything else
Episode 2: Full wedding, shit hit the fans.

I'm interested in how Jaime figures into this, he's now in Kings Landing but the wed

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Who would you say is the outright best one on one fighter in recent Westeros history?
A good question, and a good list too. I'd agree about Robert Baratheon back in his day. The warhammer is an unconventional weapon, so any sword fighter would have to adjust to a completely different way of fighting. Most notably, a hammer blow at full strength can't be blocked or deflected. It has to be dodged, and armour won't help - anything but a breast or shoulder plate would crumble like tin foil, and those would be smashed in instead. As the hammer is a blunt weapon, leather and mail would transfer force from the blow, possibly leaving enough force to shatter bone underneath.

Though, I guess there is one fighter who would give Robert a run for his money:

Syrio Forel, First Sword of Braavos - Pre-retirement
"Other men were stronger, faster, younger, why was Syrio Forel the best? I will tell you now. The seeing, the true seeing, that is the heart of it."
Forel only has one fight scene in the saga (so far, if I'm allowed to say so). However, in that one scene, he fights and defeats/kills five armoured guardsmen - at the same time, with a practise sword.
What truly makes Forel so dangerous, isn't his strength, speed or stamina. It's his way of fighting. Water Dancing involves reading your opponent, and acting accordingly. And from what we see, Syrio Forel can read any foe like an open book, and is both quick and strong enough to act. The knights of Westeros favour swift sword strikes with lots of power behind them, which make them extremely predictable to a man like Forel. He'd dance around them, poking at their weak spots and evading their blows 'till they could no longer stand. Then he'd go for the kill.

Areo Hotah and Strong Belwas could possibly also be contenders for the list, but maybe not top contenders. We haven't seen them fight much, apart from a single curb-stomp-battle each. Both were against renowned fighters, though. And anybody who can take all the pondering Hotah has listened to, and not go completely mad from it, is a man to be feared in battle.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
So I'm going to tl;dr a lot of the lore here since I sort of want to figure that part out on my own, but if I want to get into the book series, which book do I want to start with?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I'm going to tl;dr a lot of the lore here since I sort of want to figure that part out on my own, but if I want to get into the book series, which book do I want to start with?
Start with A Game of Thrones which is really just season 1, then Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, then a Dance with Dragons. So far the show is halfway through ASOS which is considered the best book. Even if the books feel like a retread there are some certain details that they just wouldn't have been able to do in the show that the books do. In particular a lot of what happens to Dany in Season 2 was made more 'epic tv drama' but there were some important things that occur to her in the books which have fueled fan theories for years now.

Last edited:
*** Cobraroll Thank you for your reply in the thread :) ! I understand what you said about the plot and all ;-). It depends on the person though. I think I'm weird because the more characters there are, the more I understand. I don't why, maybe it's because my head likes plots that are complex. I hope you get to watch season 3 soon because season 4 is going to be released soon. Moreover, I hope that your sister enjoys the books and will keep up with the TV show, because, as you were saying, faces help to remember better the names. As for the two levels of tension, I agree !

Quick warning: The season 3 of GOT is really... hum... narrative. There is not as much action as in the 2nd season. It's more a "transition part" towards the 4th season, if you know what I mean.

*** Kinneas Thank you for your post, very pleasant to read and very complete :) ! Your last question is absolutely interesting. I'm glad you shared your thoughts with us. As for my opinion on the subject, I think I would choose Brienne of Tarth as the outright best one on one fighter in recent Westeros history. I don't know if I'm being objective because strong women in books are my biases. As a woman, I would tend to choose her. The scenes where she fought, she always has been a real fighter, with techniques and strengh.

I don't know about you, but when she had to fight the bear in the arena, during the time when she was kidnapped by The Brave Companions. The story is a little bit more complex than I just explained but it was just to point out that she almost died. If you've opened the spoiler, you know that the bear was enormous and enraged. She didn't stand a chance and as a character, she showed weaknesses. But... if we're talking about the scenes where she fought men, she always showed us that women aren't weak. So, I think I chose her a symbol, a figure of heroism.

If I was to choose another character, I would probably pick Jaqen H'ghar. This is soooo random but he's so mysterious. I'm not going to spoil this one because even in the books, we have little information about him. He's a character that was revealed in the 2nd season of Game Of Thrones. If you know the show or the books, you'll know why I chose him.

*** Layell I'm also curious how they're going to adapt the second half of ASOS ;) ! Thank you for your post too :-) !

*** Acklow I was going to send you a PM but Layell was faster then me ^-^ ! I agree with what he said. Start with the first book, which is entitled exactly like the TV show.

Last edited:
Maybe not "absolute best one-on-one fighter", but shout out to Victarion Greyjoy for being a total badass. He's actually probably my favorite character right now, because despite being a bloodthirsty reaver who does little but pillage and rape, he has a queer sense of honor that sets him apart from his brothers, except Damphair. I like Damphair a lot, too, but he doesn't have quite the awesome berzerker allure that Victarion has. I can't realistically say that he would be able to beat Selmy or Jaime one-on-one, but in a full-on battle, I'd take Victarion for MVP.

Hotah and Selmy for A-tier badasses, too.

Perry

slayer
is a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I had read many books, and I'm sure George R. R. Martin is the greatest writer that I know. Besides he is a killer, he write so well as no one nowadays can do.
The TV show is great, and I really like how they did Cersei Lannister so real. When I read the fourth book, she impressed me and Lena Headley just remembered me how Cersei is crazy and lovely (beside she fucks her brother). I really like Daenerys too 'cuz she is a Targaryen and has dragons, she's a diva for me n.n
I was waiting for TWoW for this year, but I thought and I'm almost sure that it'll be released just in 2015, and George's age worry me, 'cuz we'll have one book after TWoW and he is a old men :/
I'm cheering for him n.n

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
So the Season 4 trailer happened and the hype levels are off the charts. Book readers might notice a few select characters may very well be getting scenes beyond the current book the show is adapting.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
^Could you care to elaborate (in a spoiler)? I couldn't see any scenes I didn't recognise from the movie, at least not at first glance. Or do you mean scenes from the next book in the series, rather than aSoS(2)?

The only one I noticed was

one of the Unsullied being killed on-screen.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
uh..

Yeah the big one seems to be the fast tracking of Dany's story, I'm not sure how I feel about that, they could very well run out of plot. If they pull a grand 'Dany is dead' I will be very impressed since we never got that with Theon nor the long Bran absence. It seems clear we will get some part of Dany's first ADWD chapter, so I have no idea where they will end it in S4.

Considering where we see Sansa we may see the famous snow castle scene from AffC, but it's hard to tell currently. They might just seriously draw out Peter making his moves of Lysa too.

We are also running out of Arya plot from ASoS, knowing the show they'll expand what she does because there are really only 3 things for her to do now: Get Needle back, ditch Sandor, and get on that boat. I won't be surprised to see her in Braavos by the final episode in some fashion.

Really all that Bran does at this point is meet Coldhands, which should be something cool, based on him in the preview though they are setting up some of his northern exploring and maybe getting right into ADWD storyline.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Bumping this thread ever so slightly, since the new season is just around the corner A Song of Ice and Fire author George R. R. Martin just posted a new sample chapter from the upcoming sixth book, The Winds of Winter, on his site.

Mahoosive spoilers around, of course, if you haven't read all five current books yet. Big spoilers around if you have, and manage to read a little between the lines and reflect a little on what is being said here compared to where the first five books left off. Loads of enjoyability around, if you think you can live with the spoilers.

By the way, when I said "upcoming" regarding TWoW, it still means it's probably over a year away from release. Possibly two years. The author is caught up in a lot of work with the TV series, the novel series, and the dozen-or-so side projects and stories he keeps writing around the saga of Westeros. Considering his age and physical condition, I'm almost a little worried he'll pull a Robert Jordan before the release of the seventh book, which at the current schedule is due around 2020. GRRM will be 72 years old by then.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
have mercy that preview chapter....

THEATRE AND ARYA AND DEATH OH MY

and another one off the list!

So it looks like Arya is playing Sansa in a Braavos interpretation of recent events how very apt, although what still isn't clear is if she's still with the FL or if she is on her own. But right now it does look like she has a clear way back to KL where a number of folks on her list are waiting. The shift from Mercy right back to Arya for that brief moment was so satisfying, glad to hear Martin still has a few fun events for us if this is what he calls a preview

of course looking at the wiki it seems that Raff was meant to be heading to the wall as well, so I'm curious to hear at what moment this takes place.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
have mercy that preview chapter....

So it looks like Arya is playing Sansa in a Braavos interpretation of recent events how very apt, although what still isn't clear is if she's still with the FL or if she is on her own.
Over at the ASoIaF forums, the theory goes that she isn't playing Sansa, but some other maid at court (possibly Shae, though she wouldn't be a public figure because of the cover-up of the circumstances of her death - then again, all the Braavosi might have heard is that some maid bore testimony of rape against Tyrion, so the role could have been inspired by her without the playwright knowing exactly how involved she was with Tyrion). The reasons why they don' think it's Sansa is because of her lack of a speaking role (Sansa would have been a major character in the play) and because Sansa is most famous for being the woman Tyrion did NOT go to bed with - having him rape her would ruin that joke.

As for whether or not she's still with the Faceless Men, I'd say she certainly is. Apprenticeship under Izembaro seems to be teaching her how to put on a role, make costumes, and possibly how to recognise made-up stories. By her behaviour, it looks like she's about to finish her training with the Mummers, and plans to fake Mercy's death after the show. I guess Arya was instructed to stay for long enough to get a speaking role on stage - that means she's deemed skilled enough to finally perform after having gone through the bottom-of-the-ladder jobs at the theatre, and that could means she also fulfills the criteria for the FM badge on mummery. No reason to stick around for longer than necessary, so she plans to go.

Another clue might be the key she is carrying in a secret inner pocket. Perhaps getting the key was the objective she got from the Faceless Men, and now that she has it, it's time to go. Several audience members are mentioned as being "key bearers", so the key might be of big importance.

There's also a sentence where she hints that she's been told to "cause some trouble for the Sealord and the Westerosi envoy", as she gleefully notes that killing Raff would fit the criteria.

Another interesting thing to note: Daenerys has spent several books longing back to the house where she grew up, with a red door and a lemon tree outside. We've been told by her multiple times this house was in Braavos. However, as the two guards note, there are no citrus trees in Braavos. The climate is too cold for that. Does this mean Daenerys was brought up elsewhere? A popular theory postulates she was raised in Dorne in secret. Thronspiracy theorists have really got something to work with here.

Lastly, and this is a big spoiler, so extra spoiler alert - inside a spoiler:
The Westerosi envoy is Harys Swyft. He was a member of the King's Small Council, and present at the meeting the day Kevan Lannister was murdered (ADWD epilogue). He would probably not have left for Braavos before he heard about Kevan's disappearance/murder, which took place after Cersei was judged to be tried by battle. The time window would have been too narrow, only a couple of hours at most.

His guardsmen still speak of the dwarf, Bobono, as if the queen still has a bounty on a certain dwarf's head. However, when we last saw Harys Swyft and his men in King's Landing, Cersei was thrown from power and still awaiting trial. If this was taking place before the trial, Cersei wouldn't have been rightfully queen. Her status would still have been in limbo. Had she lost the trial, she wouldn't have been around to pay the bounty. This preview chapter seems to indicate Cersei won her trial, and/or reinstated herself as Queen Regent.

Also, fixed my link above. It was earlier pointing to a wiki article and not the actual chapter preview (even though the link was to be found in the article).

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
So the season premier happened here are a few thoughts:

-RED VIPER OF DORNE!!!!! I mean what more can be said what a fantastic way to set the tone for Oberyn, he knew there was too much Rains of Castomere singing this ep and put an end to it
-Jon being challenged with his return might be just the push Kit needed to step up his acting, I never minded him too badly before but now he's finding the leadership a bit tougher. The City Watch guard who literally sold out his father is there and stupid as ever.
-New Daario still doesn't have blue beard, not gonna complain, doesn't seem as flashy oh well
-Talk about finding a Needle in a haystack, the way they shot that entire ending sequence oh man Arya proves she is the best Stark

Last edited:
oberyn's character looks like he's gonna be fantastic this season, kit harington's acting has definitely improved

the hound and arya are now easily my favorite duo in the entire show

"lots of people name their swords"
"lots of cunts"

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Next week is the Purple Wedding right???? So hyped. The end of the purple wedding is the one book spoiler I know for this season and it's gonna be ~crazy~

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
I hope next week is the Purple Wedding, though I think it might be too early. The preview did show the wedding so I could be completely wrong.
Also, a bit too early, but I'm not the only one thinking that the last scene in the season finale will be
Lady Stoneheart
right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)