Hobbies Gardening

A hobby of mine for the past 3 years now has been gardening - seeing plants I raise grow all year long and eventually produce tasty food is really rewarding, and has the bonus of getting me outside and active :) I particularly like growing pumpkins, and a more recent favourite has been sunflowers. Anyone else have this hobby? What do you like to grow? Maybe share some pictures of your gardens or just plants you've grown/are growing :)

stuart littled.

Banned deucer.
helllo i appolergize for post in old post but i find this and want to discuss a passion. i hope this is ok thankyou.

i am tryinng to grow seeds currently i donn't know what plant they is my friend give them to me but i am exciterd to learn what they looks like :heart:

what is you faverite plants of all time? mine is tree.

I love gardening,sadly,i wasn't really able to do any for the past 2 years because my house doesn't have a garden and the virus and all of that,but i was planning on making an urban garden soon,any tips?

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
I love gardening,sadly,i wasn't really able to do any for the past 2 years because my house doesn't have a garden and the virus and all of that,but i was planning on making an urban garden soon,any tips?
as someone slowly developing her own green thumb, i think basics to worry about are:

lighting
humidity
proximity

lighting: when you say urban gardening, is it all going to be mainly inside? utilize any natural light spots that you can, if appropriate for the plant(s) you have, or invest in grow lights!

humidity: every plant has special needs and climate preferences, so humidity refers to how moist or dry the air surrounding your plant should be. you can always get a humidifier specifically for your plants, or if that's cumbersome/annoying then you can invest in a little squirt bottle to "mist" your plants every now and then

proximity: this is basically be mindful of where the plants are regarding light distribution, humidity distribution, and most importantly avoiding any cross-contamination between plants, like if one is prone to a harmless fungus or something, no sense letting that fungus get on to another plant where it may BECOME harmful

as someone who still considers herself a super amateur plant mom, i hope my tips at least give you the curiosity to start realizing your dream garden experience~

i also recommend a moisture meter, most of them feel flimsy in construction but i promise it IS useful to have a little meter to check soil for water levels, as not everyone will be as confident sticking a finger into the soil to gauge when it needs water. research your plants! good luck!

Sorry for reviving this thread. Maybe there are others who have this hobby.
I'm currently experimenting with growing succulents and cacti indoors. They're relatively low-maintenance, which is perfect for my busy schedule. I can only look after them in the evenings or on weekends.

Gardening is a hobby that I love. There's something incredibly therapeutic about tending to plants and watching them flourish. I have a mix of flowers, herbs, and vegetables.
I have a variety of tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers thriving in raised beds. They taste so much better, knowing they came from my own backyard. Also, I grow herbs like basil, mint, and rosemary. They add wonderful flavors to my cooking, which is another hobby of mine.
And beautiful flowers, including vibrant roses, delicate lilies, and cheerful sunflowers, make my garden lovely. These flowers add color and fragrance to my outdoor space.
I've been considering adding a cozy fireplace near my flower beds. I believe it will create a charming spot and provide warmth during cooler evenings. I plan to complement the fireplace with this rattan dining set, where I could relax and unwind. I envision enjoying meals there, surrounded by the beauty of nature and the soothing crackle of the fire.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
This is my basil plant that I have been harvesting. It grows but the leaves do not get very big, I think it is because I do not get enough sunlight, I just have 1 window facing east.
Would like to know if anyone has advice to help this plant grow when sunlight is not sufficient to grow bigger leaves.
I also tried planting rosemary and mint together in another pot of the same size. But they did not do well together. I will probably retry with just rosemary at some point

Attachments

This is my basil plant that I have been harvesting. It grows but the leaves do not get very big, I think it is because I do not get enough sunlight, I just have 1 window facing east.
Would like to know if anyone has advice to help this plant grow when sunlight is not sufficient to grow bigger leaves.
I also tried planting rosemary and mint together in another pot of the same size. But they did not do well together. I will probably retry with just rosemary at some point
I'd just invest in a cheap grow light. Just make sure it has a timer so you can set it to go on/off after 10 or so hours. If you get one from Amazon, read the reviews. Most of them don't give an adequate amount of light, especially the ones with like 3 LED strips that they claim offer the full sunlight spectrum. Look for ones that can clamp onto a windowsill or something. Historically, I've found those to have better quality lights than the cheap, flimsy stand ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)