move 2: Yawn / Counter
move 3: Earth Power / Clear Smog
move 4: Recover
item: Leftovers / Aguav Berry
ability: Storm Drain
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
This set uses Gastrodon's decent special bulk and access to recover in order to spread burn and sleep status to the opposing team. Counter is used to deter physical threats whilst Yawn threatens pokemon out that are strong against Gastrodon, allowing it to get favourable matchups where it can spam Scald and Recover. When Gastrodon finally goes down, it will support the rest of the team through the status it is spread, allowing them to set up and win the game. Max Defense with a bold nature allows Gastrodon to click yawn or counter versus boosted physical threats such as Gyarados and Corviknight which it otherwise might be threatened by.

[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Scald
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Clear Smog / Mirror Coat
item: Assault Vest
ability: Storm Drain
nature: Modest
evs: 156 HP / 36 Def / 172 SpA / 140 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
With its great special bulk and typing as well as the Storm Drain ability, Gastrodon holds a unique niche in being able to check a wide variety of special attackers in the tier. Scald and Earth Power are Gastrodon's dual STAB moves, giving Gastrodon decent coverage against the tier, hitting . Ice Beam hits both Dragapult and Hydreigon for a 2HKO which otherwise would take little damage from Gastrodon. The last move is generally Clear Smog, which allows Gastrodon to neuter pokemon aiming to set up on it. Mirror Coat is also an option to catch strong opposing special attackers by surprise. The EV spread allows Gastrodon to take two specs Draco Meteors from Hydreigon or 3 specs shadow balls from Dragapult. The defensive investment means that Gastrodon is never KOed by a max Quake from Excadrill. The rest is placed into special attack and with a modest nature, Gastrodon OHKOs Excadrill 75% of the time with Earth Power.

Pair Gastrodon with pokemon that can threaten Ferrothorn such as Rotom-Heat and Arcanine.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I know this was written a long while back so the stuff written here is a bit dated, but Gastrodon is a thing. I've personally been seeing the bulky ones more than AV since Yawn is a really useful tool for it, so I'd switch the order of the sets. I would also put Yawn first and I'm not sure I would slash Counter with it at all, I don't think I've ever seen Counter in actual practice.

I've not seen the AV set in practice either but it looks fine to me so I won't comment on it.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I can vouch for Counter definitely being a thing. Its high HP means that you can generally take out medium HP Dynamax Pokemon without being left at 10% or taking some other questionably large amount of damage. However, I do think Yawn is one of the best things going for Gastrodon. You could even prioritize Earth Power + Ice Beam because Scald burns detract from it.

Either way, Yawn should be the first option.

I also think that the non-AV set is currently more viable and I have changed it around. I do think Counter is viable though yawn should probably be slashed first, actually I've even seen Scald / Counter / Mirror Coat / Recover with sash tho that is a completely different beast. I've even seen Scald, Stockpile, Recover, Earth Power and was almost tempted to bring it next week because I think it is a terror. I think even protect is somewhat used for wasting out dynamax and timer (though I understand Nintendo is lengthening the timer). There's a lot of things you can do on gastrodon. Lapras due to its freeze dry is worth noting in Gastrodon Checks, as well as that I think Arcanine should be removed as there are better fire types (such as Cinderace, Rotom-H etc. that fulfill that role).

For now I have changed the order of the sets around and Ive put yawn into the second slot. I dont generally think you are gonna have both yawn and counter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)