Gay marriage/adoption

Do you believe in aliens?

• Yes

Votes: 56 62.2%
  • Yes, but not in religious buildings (church, mosque, synagogue)

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 18 20.0%

• Total voters
Cshadow, was it your choice to be one? Just asking...
Uhhhh

No

It hurts me to have people talk about how I’m not fit to raise a child or get married or even be happy because of something I can’t change. I can’t wake up one day and magically suddenly be straight okay it doesn’t work like that and it never will. I’m sorry the idea of two men getting married, adopting and raising and loving a child haunts the deepest recesses of your mind in a way that my most fantastic nightmares could never fathom.

See this kind of argument has never really flied with me. I think that we can both agree that for someone to willingly engage in a homosexual act you have to actually enjoy it. With that in mind, either God creates certain people that enjoy having sex with people of the same gender and others who don't, basically setting them up to fail (maybe he loves them less? I don't know maybe you can explain it to me) or everyone on this earth besides gay people (including you) actively repress homosexual urges every day of your life.
there's always option three, which is that god doesn't exist

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If two guys or girls are allowed to marry each other then it's guaranteed that they won't have children to carry on the human species and ensure population growth.

This is probably (in my theory anyway) the only reason why homosexuality (well sodomy as it's defined in the Bible or "thou shalt not lay down with another man") is looked down upon as a horrible sin.
That's true, but it's only 1/10th of the population (or less)... how big of a problem could it be?

Though... and I'll probably get a lot of flack for this but...

To be perfectly fair, it takes a lot of time, energy and resources to raise a child, and as a man who wants grandchildren, it'd be pretty disheartening to find out my child was gay (especially if he/she was an only child). Don't get me wrong; I'd still love my child and accept him of course, but the prospect of no grand kids would be truly saddening...

Oh, but if my lesbian daughter promised to get pregnant by sperm back and raise the child with her wife, then I'd be totally cool with it.

Or, if my homosexual son and his husband had say... his husband's straight sister bear them a child with my son (in vitro or the natural way), then I'd be totally cool with it again.

I just want someone with my genes to call me grandpa, that's all.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wanted to avoid this thread, but these last few posts has been fucking fantastic. First, Chou_Toshio basically saying he doesn't like the idea of gay marriage or gay adoption because it makes him feel icky and then Stagnant coming in with a legendary bigot post.

Normally I would get worked up about stupidity about homosexuality like this, but these posts were too great.
Homosexuality does not make me feel icky, nor does gay marriage. If you actually read more than one of my posts, I'd think you'd realize that.

What my post indicated is that I have an unshakeable sharp suspicion that there are unforseeable consequences for gay marriage/adoption-- my "instinct" screams danger signs (yes, I'm referring to the same instinct your use in gambling or by survival instinct-- just "intuition"), but my brain can't think of anything that could go wrong.

That's all I said. Instinct is not rational, and that's why I didn't use it for any sort of argument. Try reading?

its funny how people can be against gay adoption.

Do people really think two junky hetero parents who had the kid when they were 16 and live on the street, fight all the time, and hit the child would be better parents than two Men or two women who have steady jobs and a home. Simply because the child has both a mother and a father doesn't mean that they are going to be better parents.

I know that was an extreme example, and is the worst case scenario, but it proves that same sex couples can be just as good as opposite sex.

Also, people who think being gay is a choice can fuck off, because its not.

It's simple, but important, I support both gay marriage and gay adoption, because not only I see nothing wrong in them, but also because they have the right to do so.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Chou: You can try and use as many words and sentences to describe how you feel, but it doesn't stop your feelings from being baseless and irrational. Call it "instinct" or "icky feelings" or "bad juju vibes", either way you have formed your opinion without reviewing any actual facts.

I have read every post in this thread, so don't get condescending because I single out the hilarity of you saying "I really have no reason for why I have this opinion, I just kinda do."

Chou, that can happen with straight kids too... I'm sure you know that but I don't see how it's particularly relevant to gay marriage/adoption and I don't see them being biological bonds as making them superior, though I accept that's a personal difference and not true for all people. Either way, it's not like your kids are obliged to procreate :x At that point you've had your choice and now it's theirs...

I'm infertile AND I've never liked children AND I've always felt strongly that I should adopt if I ever did like them; that's like a triple whammy even if I were straight. I understand that my mom is sad because she wants me to have grandchildren, but when she places emotional pressure on me to somehow magically have children, I'm fairly indignant. It's not her place to expect them, nor to try to persuade me to. (Plus I'm eighteen, but I'm pretty sure she wants them in the future, not now... lol)

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
I think homosexuality is wrong. It is not what god intended.
"Why does god allow this" He gave us free will and the ability to decipher right and wrong. The majority of us believed that homosexuality was wrong until SOCIETY PRESSURED YOU into changing your views. You choose to turn your back to god when you slept with another Man or Women and then you expect sympathy from us?

What makes gays even worse is that they flaunt their sexual orientation in front of others. Yes there is a pink elephant in the room YOU DONT HAVE TO FUCKING DRAW MORE ATTENTION TO IT.

Homosexuality is just fucking wrong.
inhale, exhale

just because you have an initial belief does not mean that yours is any better than one that changes.

I would rather someone homosexual flaunt their personality than remain within five feet of your completely corrosive character. just who do you think you are?

pretty much speechless

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As a homo, people ask me this question a lot so my point of view is pretty refined. If the government is tasked with marriage, it is nothing short of discrimination to not allow same-sex couples to wed. Since discrimination is illegal and generally frowned upon...gay marriage should follow from straight marriage. For example, my mom is allowed to marry a man/men but I am not (because I am a man).

I'm personally against gay marriage because I am against the government getting involved in any aspect of people's personal lives. So you could say I am also against straight marriage. There are no factual reasons to support one while opposing the other. I just oppose both.

I'm infertile AND I've never liked children AND I've always felt strongly that I should adopt if I ever did like them; that's like a triple whammy even if I were straight.
Will you marry me?

I think homosexuality is wrong. It is not what god intended.
"Why does god allow this" He gave us free will and the ability to decipher right and wrong. The majority of us believed that homosexuality was wrong until SOCIETY PRESSURED YOU into changing your views. You choose to turn your back to god when you slept with another Man or Women and then you expect sympathy from us?

What makes gays even worse is that they flaunt their sexual orientation in front of others. Yes there is a pink elephant in the room YOU DONT HAVE TO FUCKING DRAW MORE ATTENTION TO IT.

Homosexuality is just fucking wrong.
Yeah.. see, the good thing about God is that he is forgiving. Who are you to say what God ultimately intended with us all? You really can't. The concept of God's will is amorphous. He's probably more embarrassed at your blatant idiodicy than if Joe and Bill truly love one another and are committed.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Chou, that can happen with straight kids too... I'm sure you know that but I don't see how it's particularly relevant to gay marriage/adoption and I don't see them being biological bonds as making them superior, though I accept that's a personal difference and not true for all people. Either way, it's not like your kids are obliged to procreate :x At that point you've had your choice and now it's theirs...

I'm infertile AND I've never liked children AND I've always felt strongly that I should adopt if I ever did like them; that's like a triple whammy even if I were straight. I understand that my mom is sad because she wants me to have grandchildren, but when she places emotional pressure on me to somehow magically have children, I'm fairly indignant. It's not her place to expect them, nor to try to persuade me to. (Plus I'm eighteen, but I'm pretty sure she wants them in the future, not now... lol)
xD I teach at elementary school/middle school/play with preschoolers every friday, am thus beloved by an entire village of small children, and have never thought once of adopting.

Sorry, a post that started as a response to:

My father would enjoy walking around telling me that I "better not be gay!" (because he was actually afraid of the idea that his only son might be homosexual). My Mother and Grandmother are not approving of homosexuals (though in a much less scary way than my Father, who I'm sure would beat me if he found out). So, everyday I get to live in fear and anxiety because I am not certain what my parents would do to me or how they would react if they found out that their (grand-)son was homosexual.
Turned into a response to Oglemi. lol

But in response to the above, while I don't think it's right for parents to make a child feel unloved or unaccepted (which is why I said I'd love and accept my children no matter what), I think it can't be helped that a normal parent will feel disappointment or sadness should a child not have children of their own.

In my family, my sister has some social issues to work out, and it's uncertain as to whether she'll ever be "sound" of mind enough to have a healthy romance and marriage-- though my parents love her, and do their best not to show any expectations. However, you can believe that the transferred additional pressure on me to make that pitter-pattering of little feet is pretty damn strong!

And frankly, that pressure doesn't bother me at all. To me, it's only natural. Rather, I feel an immense gratitude to my parents because they have gone above and beyond the call of duty to raise me and my sister... like... I seriously can't believe how much they supported me and continue to support me even into my adulthood... like, my parents are the best...

So when my mom gets a bit eccentric about what kind of job I should pursue or the kind of woman I should marry, I really got to suck it up because daaaaaammmmnnn there was a LOT of time and money put into raising me.

You can say "it's my life and I can do what I want" and for each child and each family it's different-- but growing up in an Asian American family with hardcore devoted rearing, hardcore academic pressure, huge expectations and lots and lots of love...

I really do feel like I owe a lot to my parents, and to the best of my abilities, do believe I must practice filial piety and try to obey my parents wishes when I can. Having grandchildren for them (and for me!) is the most natural thing-- the strongest and most fundamental will.

As I said, I will love my children and support them in anything, just as my parents have done for my sister-- but I also understand their anxiety for her, and think that disappointment in a lack of grandchildren cannot be helped, and is only natural. My mom would be devastated if "I too" opted to not have kids... and to me, that's completely understandable, and something I'd definitely feel as well if I was put in the same situation.

are you me?

though i'm pretty sure i'm fertile, i almost don't want to be. certain situations have made me never want to have kids.

You can say "it's my life and I can do what I want" and for each child and each family it's different-- but growing up in an Asian American family with hardcore devoted rearing, hardcore academic pressure, huge expectations and lots and lots of love...
the end

it's nice that you got support and all, and that you feel obligated to have some kidlets, but really it has nothing to do with other people of the same gender marrying or adopting.

Yeah.. see, the good thing about God is that he is forgiving. Who are you to say what God ultimately intended with us all? You really can't. The concept of God's will is amorphous. He's probably more embarrassed at your blatant idiodicy than if Joe and Bill truly love one another and are committed.
Yes and considering the fact that if being gay would send you to hell, would mean that God created you in the way you are, just so God can send you to hell.

That doesnt make any sense whatsoever, God made us all differently, and will judge us on the basis of what we have done. I see no need for the government to intervene on a subject like this, as it doesnt harm anybody (gay marriage).

However to make this post more meaningful, I will add this. Many people are simply ignoring that the mindset of the people against gay marriage is very different to theirs. And it frustrates me that people call each other 'idiots' on the basis of their view. Maybe their view might be a bit idiotic in your view, but they certainly believe it is not. So it comes down to the debate on Who is Right? I might see the isolated cannibal tribe as a bunch of moronic idiotic savages. On the basis that I believe that eating humans is pretty wrong. However from their perspective they might see us, as pretty stupid because we have never eaten what they see as the delicious carcass of their late grandmother.

Ultimately, in order to make a decision as a society, people need to put aside their strong opinions in order to agree on something that is half logical. I say half-logical because people will form their 'logic' on the basis of their opinion anyway. Im not saying that an opinion based debate is irrelevant. Im just saying that in order to get a final say on the situation, society needs to form its opinion on the closest thing to pure logic. And that could mean legalizing gay marriage or going against gay marriage.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
it's nice that you got support and all, and that you feel obligated to have some kidlets, but really it has nothing to do with other people of the same gender marrying or adopting.
It was a post humanizing/empathizing with parents who have challenges accepting their child's homosexuality (or broader-- choice to not have children in general) >______>

No need to be a dick

on the basis that god and religion have no place in American politics, ignoring the whole "god most likely isn't real" in the first place, using religious arguments as for why gay marriage shouldn't be allowed has absolutely no ground to stand on.

Yes and considering the fact that if being gay would send you to hell, would mean that God created you in the way you are, just so God can send you to hell.

That doesnt make any sense whatsoever, God made us all differently, and will judge us on the basis of what we have done. I see no need for the government to intervene on a subject like this, as it doesnt harm anybody (gay marriage).
Okay, good job on saying what I meant? Maybe I worded it oddly, but we're in agreement here. I'm just trying to say, God's not an ass. He made us all different, yes. I'm just not so sure being in love with someone, whether it be male or female, will get you sent to Hell, no matter what all the hardline Christians say. Love is not a sin.

on the basis that god and religion have no place in American politics, ignoring the whole "god most likely isn't real" in the first place, using religious arguments as for why gay marriage shouldn't be allowed has absolutely no ground to stand on.
Why; because you don't believe in them? Sure, other people should have no say in the matter of other people's lives and whom they choose to love, but lambasting religious people for their beliefs isn't any better. Mattj had a very good post, as did Cartoons earlier in the thread. They expressed their views on it, yet they're tolerant. Religion is very dear to some people, I don't see why it would be ridiculed.

Crux

Banned deucer.
I am gay. I support the right of homosexual couples to adopt. I do not believe that homosexuals have the right to be married. I believe that homosexuals should not be allowed to marry because of the connotations of the term and institution of marriage. It is a religious concept and I do not believe that it is right for us to force anyone to change their views and potentially affront or insult them to push for something so superfluous.

Additionally, I believe marriage should not exist in the law. Civil Union, yes. Marriage, no. This is for both same sex couples and couples of both sexes. This is because I believe in the benefits that the joining of two estates and the legal rights that are involved with a civil union, but I believe that Marriage is, once again, a religious idea which should be kept separate from state.

Homosexuals should not be allowed to marry if the church does not want them to. And marriage should not exist in the law, only Civil Union.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)