I'm pleased to announce a GBU Singles Tournament on Smogon, the first one since 2012! GBU Singles is an underplayed format that I fell in love with last year and so I decided the best thing to do to encourage people to look into this old tier as well as get into Battlespot in general was to create a tournament. There will be a small prizepool of $40 provided by myself to the winner of the tour.
What is GBU Singles?
GBU or Global Battle Union Singles is Nintendo's Cartridge Singles format for Pokemon Black 2 and White 2. Similar to all Battlespot formats, you have a team of six pokemon and bring three to the battle. Common pokemon within the format include Conkeldurr, Suicune, Thundurus, Tyranitar and Garchomp. I've included rule list down below that will give you an idea of what is allowed and not allowed. There are replays and usage stats for the last tour containing GBU Singles (BSPL III) saved here for those interested in looking at some games:
I'll be editing this thread later on in the week if I have time with an overview of the meta as well as some sample teams.
- Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-D, Deoxys-S, Chatot, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Giratina-O, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Shaymin-S, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Kyurem-B, Kyurem-W, Meloetta, Meloetta-P, Genesect
- Number of Pokemon: You can bring up to six Pokemon with you. For the battle, however, you will pick three for singles. Any remaining Pokemon will not be used. You must always bring the minimum number of Pokemon.
- Team Preview: Team Preview is always on. You get to see your opponent's team before you pick your Pokemon.
- Pokemon Level: All Pokemon above level 50 become level 50 for the duration of the fight. Pokemon below level 50 do not have their level adjusted.
- Species Clause: No two Pokemon on your team may be of the same species.
- Item Clause: No two Pokemon on your team may have the same item.
- Sky Drop Clause: No Pokemon may possess the move Sky Drop.
- Soul Dew Clause: No Pokemon may hold Soul Dew.
- Dark Void Clause: No Pokemon may possess the move Dark Void.
- This tour will be played in the GBU singles format as on Pokemon Showdown.
- The player that wins two out of the three games in a week will move on to the next round.
- Finals will be played as a Best of Five. If there are 32+ entrants then Semi-finals and finals will be Bo5.
- Players are allowed to change their team between games in a set.
- The tournament is single elimination.
- Replays are not required but it is preferred they are posted.
- Asides from the above, the Smogon Tournament Rules will be followed and seen here.
Sign ups are CLOSED. You can only sign up as a substitute. Round 1 will be posted Tomorrow Evening.
Okay, I'm going to close signups here since we have 32 people and just over 24 hours remaining, creating a perfect bracket rather than having a few more people and an extra round of battling.
If you want to sign up now, you will be doing so as a substitute. You can also do this any time during the first week and anyone who is unable to play/no show will be replaced in order of sign up.