Gen 1 GEN 1 OU Team.

I've been playing gen 1 ou for awhile now but I got a new PC so I had to remake my teams, mostly my gen 1 and gen 5 ou teams, and changed a few things and want people's opinion on them!
The Team:
1672356688957.png

Ice Ice Baby (Jynx) (F)
Ability: No Ability
- Lovely Kiss
- Blizzard
- Psychic
- Rest
Jynx is my lead, as it is a very common 1, this is by far the most common Jynx, Psychic and Blizzard are great STABs and Lovely Kiss is for putting pokemon asleep, and of course rest is for healing, like a said nothing unique.
1672358003125.png

THE BULL (Tauros) (M)
- Blizzard
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Fire Blast
Tauros is probably the top 1 OU Pokemon, his Body Slam is notorious and a powerful stab, hyperbeam is also as notorious , strong, stab, and crits when needed. The only thing out of the norm on this Tauros is fire blast, fire blast is used on the Tauros ditto for the burn chance for a upper cut in the ditto and a just in case if Tauros gets freezed.
1672358290634.png

Worse Wigglytuff (Chansey) (F)
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Chansey, another top 3'er with Tauros, this is the boltbeam chansey, not an uncommon set, which threatens a lot of good pokemon, thunder threatening starmie and lapras, and ice beam threatening Rhydon, Exeggutor, Zapdos, and a lesser extent Chansey. Soft Boiled and Thunderwave is to make sure you don't have fun.
1672358626230.png

Shockingly Good (Jolteon)
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Double Kick
- Pin Missile

Jolteon is a good revenge killer due to its speed, high special, and STAB thunderbolt. Double kick threatens Chansey if it Crits, also a last resort move on rock/grounds, and pin missile threatens exeggutor.
1672359926315.png

Victorybell (Victreebel)
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Razor Leaf
- Wrap

Victreebel is an odd ball on the team, somewhat recently being put in UU and no longer whatsome OU, but hes on my team for 1 reason, I like him :].I am not a great player and I don't think at my level he's hurting my team match. Well anyway, this is a pretty common Victreebel, Sleep and para threatening and if I want to be lame I can wrap cheese. Razor leaf is just good on him, STAB and Crits a lot.
1672360068088.png

I Miss Dugtrio (Rhydon)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Body Slam
- Substitute
The new edition on my team, I use to have Dugtrio because I like him but he just not good in OU, a great mon in UU but has near nothing in this tier. This Rhydon does what Rhydon does, bullies electric types with an immunity and a forced switch out with rock slide and the pure power of STAB Earthquake is a threat to many pokemon. Body slam is also here.

There is 1 major pokemon missing from my team, I have 2 of the top 3 on my team. Wheres Snorlax? I don't like him so hes gone for now lol.

Attachments

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Some thoughts:

Jynx: This is bog-standard, not much to say here.
Tauros: I think given the rest of your team (Jynx lead, no Lax, Victreebel) you can't afford Fire Blast over EQ here, as it leaves you super weak to Gengar, who outspeeds Jynx, walls Victreebel, and walls EQless Tauros. You could run Fire Blast over Blizzard and have Earthquake, which does leave you something of a Rhydon weakness relative to Blizzard, but I really don't think you can afford to have only 1 mon that answers Gengar (Rhydon). IMO, use the standard Tauros.
Chansey: Also standard, I think boltbeam is the right call here with no psychics on your team to help beat things like Zapdos, Rhydon, etc; if you ever let a Rhydon get in on your Chansey you're in a really horrible place so ideally you need to find ways to avoid taking paralysis.
Jolteon: Super recommend dropping Pin Missile; it doesn't really do enough compared to having Rest so you can infinitely pressure opposing Chansey. Your Jolteon is gonna have to do a lot of work checking Boltbeam Chansey since you have no Psychics to paralyze and Special drop it to facilitate your Rhydon entering the fight.
Victreebel: I actually like this a lot particularly for ladder, since ladder so often has really slow teams vulnerable to the Wrap God. That said, drop Sleep on it - if you're gonna commit to a Jynx lead you should really commit and use it to free up a non-sleeper in back. Stun Spore Wrap Razor Leaf Hyper Beam can work or you could drop Stun for Swords Dance if you think you can get away with the setup turn by scaring out a paralyzed Starmie or such. Body Slam is also an option to fish for paraslams on switches while still doing damage. Normally I'd want to just drop Razor Leaf but your team has a lot of holes Rhydon can exploit so I think you may want to keep it.
Rhydon: I think non-Rest Rhydon in back is cool with this team, Jolteon can check opposing electrics so you can hide this till endgame and surprise the opponent with a sweep once you paralyze or chip down their threats.

Overall, well... its a laxless team with a lot of weaknesses but it's a cool idea. I think you need to commit harder to using your speed control with Jolteon (over everything else) and Vic (over Eggy and the normals) to compensate for no Snorlax and use more aggressive sets, mainly on Vic, while increasing coverage on Tauros. With that said, here's my suggested team:

Jynx (F)
- Lovely Kiss
- Blizzard
- Psychic
- Rest

Tauros (M)
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Blizzard
- Earthquake

Jolteon
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Double Kick
- Rest

Chansey (F)
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Victreebel
- Stun Spore
- Razor Leaf
- Wrap
- Hyper Beam

Rhydon
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Body Slam
- Substitute

While you still have to watch out for lead Gengar sending you straight to a 5v6, and for a potential Rhydon sweep if your Victreebel goes down and Jynx absorbs sleep (as it should), this team should be a little more robust to the tier as a whole. Hyper Beam lets Victreebel threaten KOs into mons like Chansey and Alakazam without having to Wrap pivot in your Tauros to finish, EQ Tauros gives you more ways to handle Gengar, and Rest Jolteon stops you getting eternally walled by paralyzed Chansey if you lose your Rhydon, plus lets you keep it hidden longer to wait for an opportune moment. Snorlax will also be a big problem for this team each time it gets in; you might consider Rest on Rhydon to eternally wall Snorlaxes that lack EQ or Ice Beam, but even then, it's just rough, as a lot of Laxes will have these moves. Counter Chansey is a funny consideration to help with that but is subject to so many ways that can go wrong and you'd lose your Boltbeam coverage. Ultimately I'd just do my best to never let Lax in for free and try to make it enter vs unparalyzed Rhydon, Chansey, or Victreebel so you can keep it under relative control. Ultimately the competitive answer here is "just put a Snorlax on the team" but I don't want to stray away from what your intent was so here we are.

Hope that helps!

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I've been playing gen 1 ou for awhile now but I got a new PC so I had to remake my teams, mostly my gen 1 and gen 5 ou teams, and changed a few things and want people's opinion on them!
The Team:
View attachment 478889
Ice Ice Baby (Jynx) (F)
- Lovely Kiss
- Blizzard
- Psychic
- Rest
Jynx is my lead, as it is a very common 1, this is by far the most common Jynx, Psychic and Blizzard are great STABs and Lovely Kiss is for putting pokemon asleep, and of course rest is for healing, like a said nothing unique.
View attachment 478894
THE BULL (Tauros) (M)
- Blizzard
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Fire Blast
Tauros is probably the top 1 OU Pokemon, his Body Slam is notorious and a powerful stab, hyperbeam is also as notorious , strong, stab, and crits when needed. The only thing out of the norm on this Tauros is fire blast, fire blast is used on the Tauros ditto for the burn chance for a upper cut in the ditto and a just in case if Tauros gets freezed.
View attachment 478896
Worse Wigglytuff (Chansey) (F)
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Chansey, another top 3'er with Tauros, this is the boltbeam chansey, not an uncommon set, which threatens a lot of good pokemon, thunder threatening starmie and lapras, and ice beam threatening Rhydon, Exeggutor, Zapdos, and a lesser extent Chansey. Soft Boiled and Thunderwave is to make sure you don't have fun.
View attachment 478897
Shockingly Good (Jolteon)
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Double Kick
- Pin Missile

Jolteon is a good revenge killer due to its speed, high special, and STAB thunderbolt. Double kick threatens Chansey if it Crits, also a last resort move on rock/grounds, and pin missile threatens exeggutor.
View attachment 478899
Victorybell (Victreebel)
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Razor Leaf
- Wrap

Victreebel is an odd ball on the team, somewhat recently being put in UU and no longer whatsome OU, but hes on my team for 1 reason, I like him :].I am not a great player and I don't think at my level he's hurting my team match. Well anyway, this is a pretty common Victreebel, Sleep and para threatening and if I want to be lame I can wrap cheese. Razor leaf is just good on him, STAB and Crits a lot.
View attachment 478901
I Miss Dugtrio (Rhydon)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Body Slam
- Substitute
The new edition on my team, I use to have Dugtrio because I like him but he just not good in OU, a great mon in UU but has near nothing in this tier. This Rhydon does what Rhydon does, bullies electric types with an immunity and a forced switch out with rock slide and the pure power of STAB Earthquake is a threat to many pokemon. Body slam is also here.

There is 1 major pokemon missing from my team, I have 2 of the top 3 on my team. Wheres Snorlax? I don't like him so hes gone for now lol.
Definitely a solid team, for sure, and while I would change a few things here and there myself, I think the bigger issue overall is that I might include more lines of text explaining what each of these sets is used for on the team. Admittedly, part of that is because of the thread making rules, but it's also generally helpful to have more text than less so other users like myself can try and give you the most helpful advice we can.

One optimization that could help your team fare better in the current RBY OU metagame would be to reconsider your Chansey set, especially if you're committed to not using Snorlax (a decision I often make myself, actually).

:rb/chansey:

Chansey (F)
- Reflect
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

The Reflect variant of Chansey pairs well with other Pokémon that have access to Ice Beam/Blizzard and Thunderbolt, and carries the added benefit of enabling Chansey to more consistently take physical attacks from the likes of Tauros, Snorlax, Rhydon, Zapdos, and the more uncommon Persian. Some Reflect Chansey I've seen still opt to run Ice Beam over Seismic Toss to maintain a better matchup against Rhydon in particular, who can withstand Seismic Toss with its famous 101 HP Substitutes but consistently takes more than enough damage from Ice Beam to be dealt with. Due to RBY mechanics, Normal-Types cannot be paralyzed by what is arguably the most common physical attack in the metagame, Body Slam, meaning that Reflect Chansey can consistently heal off more damage than it takes from said attack (pending a string of unlucky critical hits) without needing to worry about one of its free turns being messed up by Body Slam's 30% paralysis rate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)