Gen 5 Bulk Offense

Welcome to my RMT! Thanks for stopping by to read/glaze over/click back my thread! Anyway, this is a Gen V team, based around Sandstorm, some entry hazards, and a couple of premier sweepers.

At a glance:

(M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 44 HP / 244 Atk / 120 SAtk / 100 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Blast

Well since this is Wifi, your true lead (what's at the front of your party) doesn't necessarily have to be your actual lead.... you can switch around party members to suit the opposing team.. but they can also do the same. Unless Tyranitar is facing a heavy team disadvantage I will stick with him as my lead. The moveset is fairly straightforward for a leadtar.. Stealth Rock for obvious reasons, and I like to do a lot of double switching. Two Stab Moves are complimented by the unusual Fire Blast.. but can be useful if you spy a Nattorei or Skarmory in the preview. I'm currently interchanging between Babiri Berry and Expert Belt, so some input there would be goood.
EVs look odd, and they are.. they are custom to this Ttar! maybe. First is enough speed to beat most, if not all Skarmory (speed creep -_-), then pretty much maxed Atk... stuck some in SAtk because I didn't like the look of the number, and then a couple in HP... yeah I don't know really.

(M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

Nattorei is next, probably one of the most used pokemon right now. It's fantastic typing and stat placement speaks for itself and it's movepool, while ridden with illegal combos, is actually really good. My favourite combination is Spikes + Leech Seed, since Stealth Rock can usually be taken care of elsewhere on the team. It's two attacking moves are high powered as well, with Gyro Ball almost always 150 BP, and Power Whip 120. Nattorei is also a great check to Rain sweepers such as Omastar, Ludicolo Kingdra and Gorebyss.. although it can fall to +2 Low Kick from Kabutops (hopefully Manaphy and Shaymin-S goes, but I guess Nattorei can check those for a while...).
EVs are more specially orientated, with enough SDef for an extra stat point, and the rest in Defence for taking resisted hits.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 132 HP / 12 Def / 252 SDef / 112 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Zapdos is sort of only here so I don't get completely mauled by Shaymin-S and Roobushin... I really couldn't play without giving special thought to that annoying reindeer and ugly pirate clown thing. Zapdos can fill a lot of holes in teams, and this time I've decided to use it mainly as a special tank and pivot. Roost is there since Zapdos needs to stay on top of it's game throughout the match. HP Ice for Shaymin predominantly, but has great coverage with the STAB Thunderbolt. Heatwave rounds out the set although I might put Roar here to rack up more residual. Thoughts?
The Speed EVs are there to outspeed Jolly Breloom and other base 70s and lotttttts of HP/SDef to take Seed Flares.

(M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 152 HP / 168 Def / 188 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Bounce

Still fearsome 5th time around, Gyarados enters the fray sporting great bulk and key resistences for this team. It's another fighting check, with Intimidate and HP/Def EVs to take on the likes of Zuruzukin and Roobushin. Taunt will prevent them from Bulking up too much, and Zuru from Resting (with Shed Skin). Bounce allows it to beat grass checks such as Tangrowth, Celebi and Shaymin. Taunt allows it to set up on those who would otherwise wall it, such as Nattorei and Skarmory. Water + Flying is great coverage, only resisted by Empoleon, Lanturn and Rotom-W. However, since it's more bulky it has more trouble against other Water types such as Suicune and Vaporeon. Luckily, Nattorei and Zapdos can usually handle these.

(M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Def / 96 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Cuteeeee! and weird. But verrrrrrry good. The premise is simple - abuse Magic Guard and Recover to set up on walls/tanks that rely on passive damage. Roobushin check #2, hitting it for super effective on it's non-boosting side, and it's slower so Payback will be 50 BP.
EVs are more physically based as Calm Mind raises SDef, and the ability to take a U-turn or Payback in a pinch is very useful.

GIGA.......DRILLL......BREAKERRRRRRR
Doryuzuu (M) @ Blackglasses
Trait: Sand Throw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Leer
- Giga Impact
- Drill Liner
- Brick Break

(M) @ Balloon
Trait: Sand Throw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Now you truthfully say a Sandstorm team is complete without the Giga Drill Breaker himself, Doryuuzu. The sand monster himself shows his face only late in the game, and requires but one-turn of setup to completely destroy teams without priority or Gliscor. Return is an option I guess but I'm not really convinced it's better than X-Scissor. With Sandstorm in play and one Swords Dance, Dory sits at 738 Atk and 604 Speed - completely smashing the concept of "Speed Tiers" in the process. I think that's the real reason Dory is a suspect in people's opinions, not because of it's Attack stat - comparatively it's not really much higher than +2 Garchomp, Manaphy, Lucario, Randorosu, Terrakion, Zoroark... etc team preview helps the Dory user more than the opponent imo, unless they also have Dory, as you can see where your sweep is going to happen.
EVs are simple, max attack and max speed for max destruction, Balloon to take away it's most hindering weakness and turning it into a one-hit immunity.

Threat list:
There is too many threats to plan for, I just try and execute a Dory or Rankurusu sweep as soon as possible

Rankurusu - This thing is very hard to stop once it gets going. Between Psychic and Focus Blast, I haven't got many options. A major threat.
Manaphy - Most likely seen with rain, and hopefully Nattorei is still healthy to Power Whip it.
Zapdos can hit it super effectively, but really I have a lot of trouble if this thing gets a Tail Glow.
Garchomp - Most seem to be Scarf varients, which can be dealt with using some prediction. Zapdos can force out one locked in Fire Fang/Earthquake, Nattorei's Gyro Ball 2hkos, Rankusuru isn't 2hkod by Scarf Outrage.. SD Yache ones are looking at sacrifice or 2 <_<
Randorosu - Hate Dory? This thing is just, if not more deadly. It has godly speed, and dual setup moves in Rock Polish and Swords Dance, Sand Power which boosts it's Earthquake 1.3x, AND can go special with Encourage (although DW ability isn't released). Just don't let it setup.. most of my mon are capable of 2hkoing its and there's not really any setup bait for it.
Roobushin - Between Rankurusu and Gyarados, they can deal with it.
Shaymin-S - Zapdos is my go to although it can still get haxed with SDef drop and Air Slash flinch x_X
Deoxys - Which one? I don't have Toxic so Defensive ones can outstall me... Speed one's are okay to deal with as they are usually leads and TTar wins there. Although smarter players won't lead with Deoxys if they see I have TTar. Attack ones are incredibly powerful but has the power to 2hko my whole team, depending on it's moveset...
Latios - Specs Meteors raining down....... help Nattorei does well but for only so long

Wobbuffet - What can you do if Wobbuffet switches in? Nothing really. Although Team Preview will help forcing me to play so that Wobby doesn't get it's preferred switch in opportunity.
Doryuuzu - Try and wear it down, but ideally don't let it set up. Pretty much everything on the team can 2hko Dory.
Urugamosu - Keep rocks up and don't let it switch in. Gyarados can deal with those without HP Rock.
Borotorusu - Usually a lead, and nothing Ttar can't handle. Stone Edge straight up as they usually Taunt and then U-Turn.
Burenguru - More a defensive threat, and sort of irrelevant as I'm not rapid spinning. Ttar can OHKO it with Crunch. Gyarados can set up with Taunt and DD but must watch for Boil Over burn

Just like two things real quick, I'd go with Babiri on Ttar, it ensures that you can stay in and take down Natty, which lets your Gyara and Zapdos go to work. Unless you need Expert Belt for the KO, in which case obviously keep it. Does Focus Blast hit anything important? That low PP and accuracy aren't really convincing to me on something with that staying power. The only real reason I can see to keep it is to hit Ttar, but he's only hitting you really hard if he's choiced, and that's perfect time for Dory to set up. Let me know if i'm overlooking something here, and good luck.

I think some of your EVs and item choices are at odds with your idea of bulky offense. As a proclaimed fan of the bulky offense style myself, I invite you to check out my team for ideas. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83733

If you want you Ttar to be a mixed attacker Adamant is probably not the nature you want to be using. Go for the one that lowers defense, Brave I think. Also I'd consider a Choice Band even with Stealth Rock. Depending on your opponent in the beginning you usually only get to lay Rocks down or attack once anyway, so you can bluff the item you have for some time. The added power should let you OHKO Rank with Crunch no problem. Or you could Pursuit trap it.

Rank should probably use Life Orb since you don't receive recoil with Magic Guard and Recover takes care of your healing. The extra oomph makes all the difference especially when you have no SpA EVs.

I will say that Acrofling Gliscorb handles a few of your threats really well and doesn't mind Sandstorm. Scarfchamop can't really hurt Gliscor too bad, especially with Protect to stall for health. You can beat it with Acrobat or Toxic from your orb. Roopushin dies to Acrobat even after a Bulk Up. Standard Randorosu can't touch you, however HP Ice is becoming more common simply to counter Gliscor. Doryuzuu can't touch you and Ulgamoth will die to even unboosted Acrobat if it tries to dance on you. Can't really handle Shaymin-S, Latios, Manaphy or Rank though.

Actually, Randorosu with HP Ice like was mentioned would probably be better than Doryuzuu. Every team worth their salt has at least two pokemon to handle Doryuzuu but in my experience Randorosu is far more annoying. It hits harder off the bat with it's ability and LO and is far less predictable than Doryuzuu. Has better typing too. A Rock Polish variant will even outspeed Shaymin-S and OHKO with HP Ice as well as other Randorosu and Gliscor too. Yeah, I'm gonna say replace Doryuzuu, even if the Gurren Lagann reference was nice. B-)

Alternatively Scizor is a decent check to Shaymin-S. Banded Bullet Punch hurts it badly with it's subpar defense and you can't be flinched when you go first and you thankfully 4x resist Seed Flare. It's also fairly effective against Rank with banded U-Turns or Pursuit to trap it. In fact, I'm noticing your team doesn't have any priority moves at all. I'm thinking Scizor is almost mandatory at this point.

Good luck.

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, Randorosu with HP Ice like was mentioned would probably be better than Doryuzuu. Every team worth their salt has at least two pokemon to handle Doryuzuu but in my experience Randorosu is far more annoying. It hits harder off the bat with it's ability and LO and is far less predictable than Doryuzuu. Has better typing too. A Rock Polish variant will even outspeed Shaymin-S and OHKO with HP Ice as well as other Randorosu and Gliscor too. Yeah, I'm gonna say replace Doryuzuu, even if the Gurren Lagann reference was nice. B-)
This is 100% true :D here's a set for randorosu if you switch.
Randorosu@ Life Orb
Jolly/Adamant/4hp/252atk/252spe
Rock Polish
Stone Edge
Earthquake
HP Ice

By far the best sand sweeper this gen IMO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)