Gen 5 Drought Team - - Critique Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I see it more now. Sorry if it looked like I didn't even consider Donphan...lately I have been terribly busy. 50 hours in 3 days :/

Starmie I will make the secondary slot instead of him. Now that I look at stats, his are actually very reliable for spinning and entry-hazarding. And he moves before any dragon...even when defending against other Dragon Dance boosters. While Starmie is fast, I think there's little it can do to stop a dancer.

The team is at its best in terms of pokemon since you can't use heatran.
You could try a choice banded Arcanine, E-belt is good if you can hit super effective on almost everything the metagame has to offer. Your set has no crunch so psychic/ghost wont give you the E-belt effect and dragons wont trigger it even if you have crunch. Where as with choice band you can almost always go for a flare blitz (STAB+sun+band = alot of dammage)
Some calcs:
252 Atk Choice Band Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus in sun: 339-400 (79.95 - 94.33%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus in sun: 226-267 (53.3 - 62.97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Latias in sun: 111-131 (30.49 - 35.98%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Latias in sun: 165-195 (45.32 - 53.57%) -- 2.34% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios in sun: 235-277 (78.07 - 92.02%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios in sun: 158-186 (52.49 - 61.79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As you can see some pretty big improvements. Not to mention you can clean up late game with banded extreme speed.

Another thing you can change is scizors EVs , only slightly.
he only needs 164 speed EVs to outspeed adamant toxicroak, anything more then that feels like a waste of bulk. The remaining EVs can be put in HP, so basically:
88 Hp , 252 Atk, 164 Spd.
You can verify this here : http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/ouspeed_tiers

Last edited:
The team is at its best in terms of pokemon since you can't use heatran.
You could try a choice banded Arcanine, E-belt is good if you can hit super effective on almost everything the metagame has to offer. Your set has no crunch so psychic/ghost wont give you the E-belt effect and dragons wont trigger it even if you have crunch. Where as with choice band you can almost always go for a flare blitz (STAB+sun+band = alot of dammage)
Some calcs:
252 Atk Choice Band Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus in sun: 339-400 (79.95 - 94.33%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus in sun: 226-267 (53.3 - 62.97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Latias in sun: 111-131 (30.49 - 35.98%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Latias in sun: 165-195 (45.32 - 53.57%) -- 2.34% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios in sun: 235-277 (78.07 - 92.02%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios in sun: 158-186 (52.49 - 61.79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As you can see some pretty big improvements. Not to mention you can clean up late game with banded extreme speed.

Another thing you can change is scizors EVs , only slightly.
he only needs 164 speed EVs to outspeed adamant toxicroak, anything more then that feels like a waste of bulk. The remaining EVs can be put in HP, so basically:
88 Hp , 252 Atk, 164 Spd.
You can verify this here : http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/ouspeed_tiers
Thanks for all the info, I feel like that helped round out those two in my team.

Otherwise, another thing I have been thinking about is that apparently Drought and other weather abilities in gen 6 no longer summon perma-weather...I feel like this is going to be a huge problem.

Thanks for all the info, I feel like that helped round out those two in my team.

Otherwise, another thing I have been thinking about is that apparently Drought and other weather abilities in gen 6 no longer summon perma-weather...I feel like this is going to be a huge problem.
Yeah you'll have to 'restart' your weather now and then and may have to give ninetails that item wich makes sun last longer,.. heat rock? not sure.
As for venusaur, growth might be a wasted move, i wouldn't be surprised to see spec sets with the new weather mechanics but as for now we still can't say what the gen6 meta looks like so think of this team as a gen5 team.

Yeah you'll have to 'restart' your weather now and then and may have to give ninetails that item wich makes sun last longer,.. heat rock? not sure.
As for venusaur, growth might be a wasted move, i wouldn't be surprised to see spec sets with the new weather mechanics but as for now we still can't say what the gen6 meta looks like so think of this team as a gen5 team.
Gen 5 for sure this team would work better. I feel like I might be able to force some switches with Scizor and Dragonite so I could try and guess that switch and switch myself to Ninetales again. For sure I'd use whatever would make weather last longer for an item too. Though if I go with this strategy I feel like a cleric like Chansey or Blissey would be needed on this team.

Otherwise, I have thought about using Aerodactyl in place of Donphan. Donphan does seem like he's pretty amazing but a suicide lead might work too...Idk I'll post a link to Aerodactyl's analysis on here so you people can tell me what y'all think.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/aerodactyl/ou

Donphan is more than just a lead, he is your spinner and your physical wall (one of the only viable ones in sun). Switching him to aerodactyl will make your team vulnerable against Stealth Rocks again aswell as abandoning all defense ((other then ninetails but he's terrible no matter wich set is used)).

Offcourse you can allways playtest it to see how it feels ;)

I was thinking about the same idea. I might just breed out an Aerodactyl and try it time to time. I know Donphan has the Spin support and that's why I'm think he's a must. Something about suicide leads sound cool to me and that's really the main reason I even questioned it lol.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
you can only have 1 active rmt at the time. I will lock your other thread too. PM me which one you wish to keep open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)