Gen 5 Gen 5 OU Rain Balance based on me

This team is how I got my showdown user and smogon one too (okay it's not based on me). From my experience, this team is fun to play with and pretty good. And Vancouver rains a lot.

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/23c2549b3148187e

Note: i hate sand

lil pickle (Politoed) @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic
- Encore

All rain teams absolutely need Politoed and Politoed is here. It's main job is to lead and set rain. It also has some usefull utility moves. Scald is nice because it burns like 30% of the time (feels more like 99%). Protect gets nice chip damage with burn or poison and also gives me a bit of leftovers recovery. Toxic is always trusty on defensive pokemon and it just makes everything worse. Double status is always good to have. Encore is for pokemon thinking lil pickle is setup fodder. Then I can switch into anything I want and probably kill it. Encore can also force pokemon to use weak moves.

me (Dragonite) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hurricane
- Aqua Tail
- Thunder
- Extreme Speed

Okay you already know this is coming. Dragonite is a mixed attacker. Hurricane is epic because it's strong, stab, and NEVER MISSES (well not in sun or sand or hail (who uses this in ou)). Aqua Tail uses the water boost from the rain to its advantage. Aqua Tail and Extreme Speed force Dragonite into mixed attacker mode. Unfortunatly, Dragonite is not water type so I don't get stab. Thunder is another rain abusing move like Hurricane. Speaking about Hurricane, Thunder is just Hurricane but electric and paralyzes instead of confusing. Extreme Speed is usually given to fast pokemon, but they gave it to Dragonite because Game Freak thought it was a better idea of giving it to Dragonite instead of Charizard (and it was). Anyways Dragonite has it because it can finish of weakened pokemon and can get a final hit on faster pokemon about to kill it.

squid game omg (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic

Yes this is the real Squid Game. It's another utility pokemon BUT WAIT. It is wayyyy different than lil pickle (look at it's moves. see any differences? yeah exactly. wayyyyy different). It's a Rapid Spinner (only move that lil pickle shares with squid game) Sure I can use Starmie but Tentacruel just abuses rain way better. Its ability, Rain Dish, allows me to get 12% every turn with Black Sludge. Scald is nice because it burns like 30% of the time (feels more like 99%). Protect gets nice chip damage with burn or poison and also gives me a bit of Rain Dish + Black Sludge recovery. Toxic is always trusty on defensive pokemon and it just makes everything worse. Double status is always good to have. Hmmmmm. Something seems to be a lllllliiitttttttlllllle sus. As sus as a sussy baka. Btw it's a special wall.

fwog (Toxicroak) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

Yes. Another frog and another abuser of rain and another poison type. This thing is a Swords Dancer or physical attacker. Usually, without rain, it would be hard to pull of a Swords Dance with the abysmal bulk + Life Orb killing it but now I can recover HP automaticlly because of Dry Skin so Life Orb doesn't kill me. Drain Punch also adds to the Dry Skin's recovery. However, the trade off is that my stab is kind of weak. Sucker Punch will KO a lot of fast and frail pokemons and also puts a dent into psychic types trying to threaten it. Ice Punch is obviously ice type and ice type is an amazing offensive type (well not amazing, but good).

jesus walk horse (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Hidden Power: Ice
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Secret Sword

Well, now you can tell my team is weak to psychic types but there is a very valuable team member at the back that saves us from psychic types but I'm not going to talk about it now. Anyways this is my special attacker. This is my main counter to +1 speed Moxie Salamence (which I hate a lot). Surf is a reliable stab that I can easily spam. On the other side of reliability, there is Hydro Pump. It makes up for it with it's gigantic base 110 power. This move is used when you need some extra power. Hp ice replaces the Ice Beam most waters have. Beware grass types and ground types and flying types and dragon types and EXPECIALLY Garchomps, Gliscors, and Dragonites. Secret Sword is the final move and all I have to say is that it crumples Blissey.

my grumpy grandpa (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

At first glance, a grass type seems weird on a rain team but when I tell you it's Ferrothorn, you're not suprised anymore. Ferrothorn is my extreme hazard setter. Spikes is awesome because it does a lot of chip damage but it's not as awesome as my next entry hazard. Stealth Rocks is always awesome because it does a lot to Ninetales that will switch in and it is just awesome. Power Whip gets rid of Gastrodon and other waters and grounds and rocks. Leech Seed is another awesome move that Ferrothorn uses often. It make people want to switch to get rid of Leech Seed and when they want to switch, they take hazard damage. Also a physical wall

THREAT LIST

Psychic Types:

So, as I already told you, psychic types are my biggest threat. Well with Jirachi, I just stall it out with grandpa's ability Iron Barbs or Leech Seed but Trick versions are dangerous. Alakazam and Reuniclus are dangerous threats with Focus Blast so I don't use grandpa for them and just use me. Victini I can handle well with strong jesus walker Hydro Pumps and switch in on a V-Create. Starmie is walled by grandpa but once again, Trick sucks and also freeze if it gets the 10% on Ice Beam. Celebi is also walled grandpa but we can't do anything against it so Dragonite has to summon some Hurricanes. Okay and like Starmie, I wall Latias/Latios but Trick sucks. I wall Espeon (with rain up) and Xatu with grandpa. Metagross doesn't really have a check so we have to brute force that one. Gothitelle I don't even worry about because it's so rare. Okay now all the other psychic types are either rare or unviable like Gothitelle so I don't have to worry about them.

DD Salamence
Okay +1 speed is easy but +2 speed can wreck my team and grandpa doesn't have enough time to wear it down before he dies.

Hope that you like this Team!!!!

Last edited:

Gamer1234556

"Because... Scald is a shit Ferro answer!!!"
Ok, this is a pretty decent team overall, but I do have some recommendations for you.

1) :thundurus-therian: or :tornadus: > :dragonite:

One of them is Thundurus over Mixed Dragonite. Thundurus comes with STAB Thunder and a much higher Special Attack Stat meaning it has an easier time breaking teams. Dragonite is still decent but losing Multiscale from Life Orb Chip is not ideal. If you don't want to use Thundurus you can use Tornadus, which is much faster, stronger, has STAB Hurricane and even has Prankster. Dragonite is supposedly decent on a team like this since it comes with both Thunder, Hurricane and ESpeed to boot, but I feel like you could experiment a bit more with other pokes in the Mixed Nite slot.

2) :mamoswine: > :toxicroak:

Of course, if the issue of priority is too much to pass over, you could opt out Toxicroak for Mamoswine. Mamoswine is an absolute bane for common Psyspam teams to deal with as Latios and Alakazam get sniped by Ice Shard. Its a bit tricky to use at first since its typing doesn't lend itself too well but the immediate power it provides makes it worth it in the end.

3) :latios: > :keldeo:

This recommendation is a bit of a preference one, but the reason for this is so that you can have an easier time overloading Tar. I personally feel that if you have a mon that really wants Tar gone, the best way is to overload teams with Tar-weak mons that for Tar to come in. Tar will end up getting worn down very fast in the process and that makes it much easier for you to win the weather war. Of course, Scarf Keldeo does completely destroy HO under Rain and gives you an answer to Mamoswine but I feel like having Scarf Latios in that slot isn't too bad of an idea.

Here is a sample team if you are interested (please note that this is not my team, but Finchinator's from the previous SPL that happened a while back):
:politoed::ferrothorn::tentacruel::latios::tornadus::mamoswine:

A few clarifications here are:

1) :politoed: Politoed is Physically Defensive since Tornadus is often used to revenge kill Volcarona, meaning that Politoed can act as a soft check for Mamoswine.

2) :ferrothorn: Lum Berry + Max Attack Adamant Nature allows you to OHKO Rotom-W Turn 1. This is especially huge since Torn/Mamo really want Rotom-W gone.

252+ Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 20 Def Rotom-Wash: 320-378 (105.6 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

3) :tornadus: SubTect is actually a pretty underrated set since its able to screw with Choiced mons such as Latios, block attempts to Status and helps Tornadus get crucial Longevity. Of course, you can fit other sets here but I feel like SubTect is probably the best and more underrated set to use on this team.

Of course, Finchinator does go through the team itself here.

Overall, this is actually a pretty solid team! Its good to see that you are interested in BW! Keep up the good work!

I totally get the mamoswine and the latios but I just can't let go of dragonite even though tornadus and thundurus are better. Tentacruel takes care of volcarona well itself. I made a set for dragonite to check rotom at full health. It's pretty gimmicky but here it is.

me (Dragonite) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunder
- Extreme Speed

Hidden Power grass plus extreme speed always kos. It only works at full health. Tentacruel already has rapid spin support so being at full health is easier. The problem is switching in. I want this to prevent ferro to go full attacking mode which is not ideal.

I changed the team.
https://pokepast.es/58c87512d5cf1885

Gamer1234556

I mean, judging from your name I can probably tell that you built this team centered around Mixed Nite against Rain, which I completely understand. I was simply providing some alternatives since I wasn't exactly aware if you were familiar with the meta or not.

Tentacruel takes care of volcarona well itself.
I never said anything in relation to this team's MU against Volcarona but...

I would not say that Tentacruel works as a standalone check considering that Volcarona almost always runs Psychic, but rather being paired with SpDef Politoed with Encore makes the Volc MU much more manageable.

Hidden Power grass plus extreme speed always kos. It only works at full health. Tentacruel already has rapid spin support so being at full health is easier. The problem is switching in. I want this to prevent ferro to go full attacking mode which is not ideal.
I did the calc and even when you HP Grass into ESpeed with Rocks up, you still don't OHKO Specially Defensive Rotom.

252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Hidden Power Grass vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Rotom-Wash: 127-151 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- 26.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

The general idea of Lum Berry Ferro is to lead it off against Rotom T1, cure the burn as Rotom attempts to Wisp you, and then take it out with Power Whip. And besides, its not like Ferro doesn't do any of its normal duties even if you invest in offense.

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
Ok, this is a pretty decent team overall, but I do have some recommendations for you.

1) :thundurus-therian: or :tornadus: > :dragonite:

One of them is Thundurus over Mixed Dragonite. Thundurus comes with STAB Thunder and a much higher Special Attack Stat meaning it has an easier time breaking teams. Dragonite is still decent but losing Multiscale from Life Orb Chip is not ideal. If you don't want to use Thundurus you can use Tornadus, which is much faster, stronger, has STAB Hurricane and even has Prankster. Dragonite is supposedly decent on a team like this since it comes with both Thunder, Hurricane and ESpeed to boot, but I feel like you could experiment a bit more with other pokes in the Mixed Nite slot.

2) :mamoswine: > :toxicroak:

Of course, if the issue of priority is too much to pass over, you could opt out Toxicroak for Mamoswine. Mamoswine is an absolute bane for common Psyspam teams to deal with as Latios and Alakazam get sniped by Ice Shard. Its a bit tricky to use at first since its typing doesn't lend itself too well but the immediate power it provides makes it worth it in the end.

3) :latios: > :keldeo:

This recommendation is a bit of a preference one, but the reason for this is so that you can have an easier time overloading Tar. I personally feel that if you have a mon that really wants Tar gone, the best way is to overload teams with Tar-weak mons that for Tar to come in. Tar will end up getting worn down very fast in the process and that makes it much easier for you to win the weather war. Of course, Scarf Keldeo does completely destroy HO under Rain and gives you an answer to Mamoswine but I feel like having Scarf Latios in that slot isn't too bad of an idea.

Here is a sample team if you are interested (please note that this is not my team, but Finchinator's from the previous SPL that happened a while back):
:politoed::ferrothorn::tentacruel::latios::tornadus::mamoswine:

A few clarifications here are:

1) :politoed: Politoed is Physically Defensive since Tornadus is often used to revenge kill Volcarona, meaning that Politoed can act as a soft check for Mamoswine.

2) :ferrothorn: Lum Berry + Max Attack Adamant Nature allows you to OHKO Rotom-W Turn 1. This is especially huge since Torn/Mamo really want Rotom-W gone.

252+ Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 20 Def Rotom-Wash: 320-378 (105.6 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

3) :tornadus: SubTect is actually a pretty underrated set since its able to screw with Choiced mons such as Latios, block attempts to Status and helps Tornadus get crucial Longevity. Of course, you can fit other sets here but I feel like SubTect is probably the best and more underrated set to use on this team.

Of course, Finchinator does go through the team itself here.

Overall, this is actually a pretty solid team! Its good to see that you are interested in BW! Keep up the good work!
Gonna nitpick a bit, you actually prefer to run Rawst Berry over Lum, as the other status ailments are actually beneficial to Ferrothorn by preventing it from being burned. Rawst Berry only clears burns.

But this is generally good advice that I would agree with.

Gamer1234556

Latios and dnite
Neither mon walls Rotom as Rotom just freely VSwitches whenever either mon comes in.

Gonna nitpick a bit, you actually prefer to run Rawst Berry over Lum, as the other status ailments are actually beneficial to Ferrothorn by preventing it from being burned. Rawst Berry only clears burns.

But this is generally good advice that I would agree with.
Fair enough I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)