Gen 5 tiering system suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that the 5th gen is upon us, I think we should have a 7 tier metagame. It would make for a variety of different battling experiences. It would consist of the same tiers with a new one called MU(Moderately Used). The tiers would be based upon the same usage system implemented in this gen except for Ubers. These tiers would see some changes periodically based on each Pokemon's usage. Also Suspect testing should be kept for this gen as well. Here are the tiers and their summaries:
Ubers- This consists of Pokemon that are too powerful for OU and are better kept in their own tier. The definition of this tier is mostly the same as was in Gen 4. This time around though, Suspect Testing should begin with this tier so that the Standard metagame doesn't suffer from broken Pokemon like Garchomp and Latias. Their tiering would be decided relatively early to prevent the problems that were seen in Gen 4.
OU- This would be similar to Gen 4. The commonly seen pokemon in the metagme used above a common threshold would be in here. The early Suspect Testing would make it less centralized early on.
BL- This would house the Pokemon that are not used enough in OU but too strong for MU. This time around though it should have its own active metagame as there are many Pokemon that clearly lie between OU and the lower tiers. BL would give them a chance to shine. This tier would be formed by Suspect Testing of MU after it has been formed.
MU- Due to a large increase of Pokemon next gen, a new tier is needed to keep tiers from oversaturating. This essentially replaces the UU of Gen 4 and consists of the kind of Pokemon that are generally too weak to be OU but still have some merit. MU would be decided by usage in its respective metagame just like OU.
UU- This contains Pokemon in between MU and NU. It would be decided by a combination of usage in the UU metagame and Suspect Testing. This tier would serve as the "OU of NU"
NU- This would contain Pokemon that completely suck. The worst Pokemon in the game with no use like Delibird and Farfetch'd would be in here.
The Uber tier should be decided first. Second, a list of preliminary tiers should be created. Third, the tiers should then be subject to potentially massive updating based on usage statistics. Finally, Suspect Testing should be conducted on MU and NU to decide BL and part of UU.
This is just my suggestion for how the Gen 5 tiering system should be decided and constructed based on how the Gen 4 tiering was a debacle and resulted in using usage instead of intuition. I have posted my suggestion to the hardworking staff of Smogon for them to consider. The Gen 5 tiering should proceed without significant hassles because Smogon's tiers are widely used. Please take the time to consider this suggestion and evaulate it's benefit to the community. I place my trust in the staff to conduct this matter in a way that benefits Pokemon battling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)