Other Metagames [Gen 7 BH] RMT - Special MMX Balance

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
> Special MMX Balance <

Introduction

You might know me as a winner or a loser, as I have definitely done my fair share of both, but originally I am loser2017. I’ve been in the BH game for a little over a year now and it is by far my favorite meta. I started from the bottom toward the beginning of SM while CFZ were still around and was running things like Z-Trick-or-Treat Simple Power Trip Yveltal and I’d like to say I’ve come pretty far since then.

This is one of my more consistently successful teams as it can do well versus all team archetypes, and I’ve centered it around a special variant of Mewtwo-Mega X.

Teambuilding Process

I started out by simply wanting to build around a special MMX. At the time, I’d be playing around with No Guard on various Pokemon and decided to give MMX a try. Before Photon Geyser came around, Fur Coat was almost always a surefire way of stopping MMX and I wanted to work my way around that.

While special MMX lacks the raw power that physical MMX has, it can still be a pain to deal with. It’s even more of a pain with 250 HP and buffed defenses, so I set out to improof it. My first mon in mind was Magic Bounce Audino-Mega. It is a common and excellent defensive mon on its own that could also serve as a check MMX imposters fairly well without being niche.

Next I just added one of my favorite Unaware mons, Yveltal. It has done me well in stopping set-up outside of Regigigas and Fairies/Fairy coverage mons.

While my MMX isn’t passive, I didn’t want my team to be all out stall, so I added a wall breaker in Gyarados-Mega. Gyarados is here to rid the opponents team of Psychics and Ghosts, which are quite prevalent in this meta. I chose to go with Adaptability to boost its powerful STAB Knock Off and Pursuit.

Audino is there to bounce hazards, but I decided to add a Regenerator to come in and clear them if they are set. Solgaleo was everywhere and wouldn’t fair well against impostered Gyarados, so I went with something different for a Steel regenvest in Celesteela. It’s neutral to rocks, which is nice, and has solid bulk and a great defensive typing.

At this point, I realized my team was Shedinja prone and also set-up prone outside of Yveltal, so I compressed this role with Prankster Aegislash. It can check Shed and force it out and also take down foes with Destiny Bond when needed.

This team led me to moderate success. PDon wasn’t banned yet and it gave me trouble as I had no Fire resists. Also, I wasn’t liking MB Audino that much and switched it to Poison Heal, as it could still check MMX imposters when healthy. Even with PDon gone, my team was still just ok and I was left questioning what to change.

I decided to make a few changes and it did wonders for my team. I switched PH Audino for PH Xerneas. It better improofs MMX as it is not neutral to Focus Blast as Audino was and has more offensive presence to fight back. To better deal with hazards and spores, I changed Celesteela to Magic Bounce over Regenerator and found this much better at doing a similar job. Defog over Rapid Spin was much more efficient at clearing hazards. I loved Gyarados, but wanted to pack more of a punch and have a less resisted dual STAB, so I switched to Tyranitar-Mega and didn’t look back. Lastly, I found Aegislash as a weak link in the team with less bulk than you’d imagine and swapped it for Giratina to play the same role.

The Team

Something Special (Mewtwo-Mega-X) @ Fightinum Z
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 52 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Blizzard
- Grass Whistle
- Magma Storm

As stated before, MMX is the inspiration of the entire team. I wanted to run a special variant of MMX and went with No Guard. Focus Blast for powerful STAB that can also nail the rare Steelix or Aggron. Fightinium Z to land the OHKOs that the physical versions normally get on mons like Regigigas and Arceus. Magma Storm is a great stallbreaker that can trap foes and add residual damage. Grasswhistle is my choice of (usually) inaccurate sleep moves but any of the others have benefits as well. Blizzard for solid coverage and to not be walled by Giratina.

MMX is improofed by Xerneas if its toxic orb has activated and can be checked by Celesteela on a switch if you suspect them to put you to sleep. Reduced SpD EVs are to help Xerneas take out imposter faster.

Something Annoying (Xerneas) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Spikes
- Moonblast

Xerneas is there to absorb status, switch in on Dragons, punish physical attackers, and set hazards. It has a lot of roles in the set itself and even more in helping improof the team, so it is pretty important to keep alive. Caution is needed when switching in Xerneas to ensure the orb activates, as there are no slow pivots on this team. I chose to use a defensive/utility version of Xerneas rather than the set up sweeper mainly because this version helps my team better and also I don’t prefer to use set-up mons.

Xerneas can check/improof itself and also is improofed by Celesteela, which can trap and kill it.

Something Shrimpy (Tyranitar-Mega) @ Choice Band / Dread Plate
Ability: Adaptibility
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Diamond Storm

Tyranitar helps me rid opposing teams of Giratina, Solgaleo, MMY, Aegislash, and Ultra Necrozma all with one hit. It also 2HKOs a bunch of other bulky neutrally hit mons. Tyranitar is vital to my team as being able to take out or pressure mons like Giratina with Knock Off or Pursuit is appreciated on any team. Choice Band allows it to hit the hardest and guarantees a OHKO on non FC Giratina, but Dread Plate is an option to stop from being choice locked and still leave sizable dents.

Ttar is improofed by MMX, as the Z crystal allows it to stomach a Knock Off for about 1/3 health and can fire off Focus Blasts in return. Also, Xerneas can switch in when healthy and out speeds to burn imposter. If those fail, Giratina can take it down with Destiny Bond.

Something Crispy (Yveltal) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Revelation Dance
- Baneful Bunker
- Recover

(Insert Bacon Bird joke here) Yveltal is my favorite Unaware mon. This set is able to handle Triage Rayqauza (non Life Orb) fairly easily and does well against most physical contrary users. It is also my main Normalize Gengar switch in with Revelation Dance. Goggles help it stay awake at least temporarily and Baneful Bunker is to punish FakeSpeeders or incoming physical attacks. Baneful is not recommended to use against imposter unless it is already burned, to ensure it can’t take on Xerneas’s ability.

Yveltal is self improofed and can also be pretty easily handled by Xerneas, MMX, and Ttar.

Something Different (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Defog
- Worry Seed
- Anchor Shot
- Roost

Celesteela being Magic Bounce instead of Regenerator serves the team much better. Now it can use Defog over Rapid Spin and actually block hazards on the switch. Its set is built as a hazard blocker/remover and also a PH Xerneas and Regigigas remover. Regigigas still hits pretty hard at +1 so relaxed nature is needed to take more hits. While this set has improved, it still has its downfalls as Celesteela isn’t as bulky as some other Steel options like Registeel.

Celesteela is self improofed and can trap and PP stall imposter.

Something Dead (Giratina) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
Relaxed Nature
- Encore
- Shore Up
- Destiny Bond
- Spectral Thief

Giratina is there to survive as long as possible and die when I need it to. With Psychic Surge out of the picture, Encore or other support moves are nice so that it can better take advantage of Prankster, but using U-Turn for a decently slow pivot is nice too.

Giratina can deal with its own imposter pretty well and is improofed by Xerneas, Yveltal, Ttar, and MMX.

Possible Threats

• Electric type users like Zekrom or Xurkitree can cause this team trouble, but most of the meta is not ready for Electric attacks either. Giratina is a nice resist, but if they set up, Yveltal is not useful to stop them.​
  • Specs Boomburst can take big chunks out of Celesteela, who is there to resist it. Be ready to D-bond them if you can’t get in an attack first.​
  • Contrary MMY can be an issue if TTar is down, as most carry coverage that’s super effective on Yveltal.​

Conclusion

I know I’m not going to convert any other MMX’s to run special sets, but I’d like to say I was successful in making a nice special MMX. At the end of building, I made a team that is well balanced, can handle a wide variety of threats, and is not scared of imposter. I know that I can go on the ladder with this team and have a good shot of winning against any threat thrown at me. I’m not sure I would say this is overall my best team I’ve made, but it definitely is consistent and very solid.​

Shoutouts

DarkRisingRay, thanks for watching my battles early on and becoming my bro who helped me improve my team building and game play in multiple ways! Your playstyle inspired me to play how I do and I always love watching you play.

Importable

Something Special (Mewtwo-Mega-X) @ Fightinium Z

Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 52 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Blizzard
- Grass Whistle
- Magma Storm

Something Shrimpy (Tyranitar-Mega) @ Dread Plate
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Diamond Storm

Something Crispy (Yveltal) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Revelation Dance
- Baneful Bunker
- Recover

Something Annoying (Xerneas) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Spikes
- Moonblast

Something Different (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Relaxed Nature
- Defog
- Worry Seed
- Anchor Shot
- Roost

Something Dead (Giratina) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
Relaxed Nature
- Encore
- Shore Up
- Destiny Bond
- Spectral Thief

Last edited:
Cool team! I feel like you are weak to Mega Diancie/Mega Rayquaza with fire coverage, as well as offensive Pdon (your only switchin is Giratina). and the most replaceable member of your squad appears to be your Giratina. Since you have Magic Bounce and Defog to keep rocks off the field, I would suggest a Soundproof physically defensive user such as Mega Slowbro or standard Groudon as a substitute. both of these can wall all Mega Diancie, Aerilate Mega Rayquaza, physical variants of pdon, and if you use mega Slowbro, most Refrigerate Kyubs as well. If you use Slowbro then you have no electric resist, which is why I suggest Groudon even though that leaves you having to offensive pressure it with mewtwo and ttar.

The set I would run for Groudon is Safety Goggles, Soundproof, full EVS and an impish nature. The moves I would run are Twaves, a recover move, Volt Switch, and Spectral Thief/Entrainment. If you run Spectral Thief then you can steal boosts, but since you have Unaware Yveltal you can handle most scary setuppers. If you instead go for entrainment, you can trap and KO Regigigas, but you must immediately switch in to it and you admittedly do have to be a bit lucky with sleep turns. At the very least, it will be drastically weakened by the time Groudon is fainted. Thousand Waves lets you trap and PP Stall imposters.

This of course leaves you weaker to shedinja. You have a few options for this. You culd for example change your ability for ttar to mold breaker, though you still have no good switch into an Endeavor. You could also run Spiky SHield > Spikes on xerneas and go Spikes > Sucker Punch to ttar. Ttar does force switches wihch will allow it to set spikes effectively, an if mold breaker, even better. Just some suggestions, and you know how your team plays better. I've seen it pull out some impressive wins, and I've played against it as well.

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Cool team! I feel like you are weak to Mega Diancie/Mega Rayquaza with fire coverage, as well as offensive Pdon (your only switchin is Giratina). and the most replaceable member of your squad appears to be your Giratina. Since you have Magic Bounce and Defog to keep rocks off the field, I would suggest a Soundproof physically defensive user such as Mega Slowbro or standard Groudon as a substitute. both of these can wall all Mega Diancie, Aerilate Mega Rayquaza, physical variants of pdon, and if you use mega Slowbro, most Refrigerate Kyubs as well. If you use Slowbro then you have no electric resist, which is why I suggest Groudon even though that leaves you having to offensive pressure it with mewtwo and ttar.

The set I would run for Groudon is Safety Goggles, Soundproof, full EVS and an impish nature. The moves I would run are Twaves, a recover move, Volt Switch, and Spectral Thief/Entrainment. If you run Spectral Thief then you can steal boosts, but since you have Unaware Yveltal you can handle most scary setuppers. If you instead go for entrainment, you can trap and KO Regigigas, but you must immediately switch in to it and you admittedly do have to be a bit lucky with sleep turns. At the very least, it will be drastically weakened by the time Groudon is fainted. Thousand Waves lets you trap and PP Stall imposters.

This of course leaves you weaker to shedinja. You have a few options for this. You culd for example change your ability for ttar to mold breaker, though you still have no good switch into an Endeavor. You could also run Spiky SHield > Spikes on xerneas and go Spikes > Sucker Punch to ttar. Ttar does force switches wihch will allow it to set spikes effectively, an if mold breaker, even better. Just some suggestions, and you know how your team plays better. I've seen it pull out some impressive wins, and I've played against it as well.
Thanks for the feedback! You are right in that Ray and Dianicie can cause me lots of trouble with Fire coverage or if Celesteela is down. The Soundproof mons sound like good options for sure, but yeah that would also take away my Shed switchin if Tina is gone. I might try out Groudon so that my team isn't any more prone to electric than it already is.

Mold Breaker on Ttar does sound pretty nice as well. I've been thinking about changing the ability on it anyway lately and Moldy could help me tear through FC Tina.

Its definitely hard to change something you're used to, but as I said in my write up, changing some things has already helped this team in a big way. I'll definitely take your suggestions into consideration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)