Gen 7 Gen 7 OU Amoonguss Magearna Balance

I decided to build a team around Amoonguss in Gen 7 (as it is the meta game I’ve had the most success with). I chose Amoonguss for the core of the team because of the immense defensive pressure it can exert between its recovery and threatening status, allowing me to gain a lot of momentum from the switches it forces and pivot into allies to get into a good position to finish the game. I used a Magearna to finish the defensive core, since it’s really good at checking things like Greninja that might threaten Amoonguss. The rest of the team was built around the support these two offer.
1671281812222.png
1671281858361.png

Balloonguss (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Standard Amoonguss set. With its Grass/Poison typing, it can deal with certain ground types that threaten Magearna. It also forms a great pivoting Regenerator core with Tornadus. I chose Amoonguss (as I mentioned before) for its great longevity and threatening status. I chose Toxic over Stun Spore because I found it better for wearing down thicker opponents. HP Fire let’s it counter Ferrothorn (a Pokemon I personally despise playing against) surprisingly well. The EV spread is the basic Smogon suggested spread.

Gumball machine (Magearna) @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 6 Spe
- Heart Swap
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

I selected Magearna as the second half of my defensive core for two reasons. First, Magearna is awesome. It fits on just about every Gen 7 team easily. Second, it helps tank hits from Ice-, Flying-, and Psychic-types for Amoonguss, as well as specific threats like Greninja, who could wear it down with neutral hits from Dark Pulse. With Volt Switch, Magearna completes the team’s pivoting core. I chose the Pain Split Pivot set because it contributes to all the pivoting the team does, and gives it good longevity at the expense of healthier opponents. By this point, my core seems to struggle a lot with Ground- and Fire-types…

Hangnail (Garchomp) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Garchomp makes for a useful Fire resist. It is also my most potent wallbreaker and only hazard setter. I chose it for its ability to counter Fire-types and provide the offensive pressure my walls are lacking. For the moveset, I felt that EdgeQuake is all Garchomp really needs to do damage. For this team, I would rather have an offensive hazard setter than a mixed attacker with Draco Meteor. I used Groundium Z over Rockium Z because of the STAB backing up the damage from Tectonic Rage.

has fancy hair (Tornadus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Tornadus Therian is a key piece of this team for many reasons. Being Ground immune helps with the greatest problem my team faces up to this point. It’s hazard control with Defog let’s me pivot to my heart’s content, which this team does a lot, you may notice. Regenerator and U-Turn let it form a solid and versatile Regenerator core with Amoonguss. On top of that, it has great offensive pressure with Hurricane that can help me land a few good hits or build momentum. Anyways, there is nothing extraordinary about his moveset. Just a basic pivoting birb.

Merry Christmas (Xurkitree) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Xurkitree is the most unlikely pick for my team, but I noticed that its base 83 Speed was more than enough for a scarfer, so I decided to use him as speed control. Choice Scarf Xurkitree fits pretty well on my team, since it handles Steel/Flying-types and most other physical walls (especially the omnipresent bulky Water-types) for Garchomp, as well as contributing to all the pivoting my team does with Volt Switch. I chose Xurkitree over Tapu Koko for my fast electric type for a number of reasons. Firstly, he is faster with a Choice Scarf . Secondly, he counters things like Greninja better, since your opponent always knows a Tapu Koko will out speed their Greninja, but won’t be so fast to switch out of something they may be able to outspeed and KO, like Xurkitree (which they can’t because of his scarf). Thirdly, Xurkitree’s Special Attack is much, much higher, and Beast Boost can be used to snowball and even break through thick, resistant opponents. Lastly, he learns Energy ball to better check Ground-types like Gastrodon.
1671283013678.png

Aeroplane (Latias) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Even with Tornadus, My team still has a hard time standing up to powerful Ground-types like Garchomp, Landorus, Gliscor and the like. I also feel very insecure with only one hazard remover. To help with this, I chose Mega Latias. This guy is also a useful Fire resist and can freely switch into Earthquakes. I decided to stray from the original Smogon set because it wasn’t dealing enough damage with only attacks, so I used Toxic. Apart from that, the set is pretty standard. I don’t think Latias is essential for my team, but it was the best I could find.

I’ve experimented with this team, and it works pretty well, however I have noticed a number of problems. As I mentioned before, my defensive core struggles with Fire and Ground types. They also both have a specially defensive EV spread, so my team has trouble with heavy physical attackers. Garchomp never gets a good chance to set up, and is usually the first one to go down, and the team needs either better support for Garchomp, or a replacement for him; most likely something bulkier like Gliscor. Overall, my main problems are Fire types, an unfulfilled sixth team slot filled by Latias (any possible replacement needs to be ground immune unless I end up using Gliscor, and have hazard removal), inability to properly use Garchomp, and trouble with physical attackers. I appreciate any suggestions to optimize this team, since it is one of my first successful teams.

I decided to build a team around Amoonguss in Gen 7 (as it is the meta game I’ve had the most success with). I chose Amoonguss for the core of the team because of the immense defensive pressure it can exert between its recovery and threatening status, allowing me to gain a lot of momentum from the switches it forces and pivot into allies to get into a good position to finish the game. I used a Magearna to finish the defensive core, since it’s really good at checking things like Greninja that might threaten Amoonguss. The rest of the team was built around the support these two offer.
View attachment 475918View attachment 475919
Balloonguss (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Standard Amoonguss set. With its Grass/Poison typing, it can deal with certain ground types that threaten Magearna. It also forms a great pivoting Regenerator core with Tornadus. I chose Amoonguss (as I mentioned before) for its great longevity and threatening status. I chose Toxic over Stun Spore because I found it better for wearing down thicker opponents. HP Fire let’s it counter Ferrothorn (a Pokemon I personally despise playing against) surprisingly well. The EV spread is the basic Smogon suggested spread.

Gumball machine (Magearna) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
IVs: 6 Spe
- Heart Swap
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

I selected Magearna as the second half of my defensive core for two reasons. First, Magearna is awesome. It fits on just about every Gen 7 team easily. Second, it helps tank hits from Ice-, Flying-, and Psychic-types for Amoonguss, as well as specific threats like Greninja, who could wear it down with neutral hits from Dark Pulse. With Volt Switch, Magearna completes the team’s pivoting core. I chose the Pain Split Pivot set because it contributes to all the pivoting the team does, and gives it good longevity at the expense of healthier opponents. By this point, my core seems to struggle a lot with Ground- and Fire-types…

Hangnail (Garchomp) @ Groundium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Garchomp makes for a useful Fire resist. It is also my most potent wallbreaker and only hazard setter. I chose it for its ability to counter Fire-types and provide the offensive pressure my walls are lacking. For the moveset, I felt that EdgeQuake is all Garchomp really needs to do damage. For this team, I would rather have an offensive hazard setter than a mixed attacker with Draco Meteor. I used Groundium Z over Rockium Z because of the STAB backing up the damage from Tectonic Rage.

has fancy hair (Tornadus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Tornadus Therian is a key piece of this team for many reasons. Being Ground immune helps with the greatest problem my team faces up to this point. It’s hazard control with Defog let’s me pivot to my heart’s content, which this team does a lot, you may notice. Regenerator and U-Turn let it form a solid and versatile Regenerator core with Amoonguss. On top of that, it has great offensive pressure with Hurricane that can help me land a few good hits or build momentum. Anyways, there is nothing extraordinary about his moveset. Just a basic pivoting birb.

Merry Christmas (Xurkitree) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Xurkitree is the most unlikely pick for my team, but I noticed that its base 83 Speed was more than enough for a scarfer, so I decided to use him as speed control. Choice Scarf Xurkitree fits pretty well on my team, since it handles Steel/Flying-types and most other physical walls (especially the omnipresent bulky Water-types) for Garchomp, as well as contributing to all the pivoting my team does with Volt Switch. I chose Xurkitree over Tapu Koko for my fast electric type for a number of reasons. Firstly, he is faster with a Choice Scarf . Secondly, he counters things like Greninja better, since your opponent always knows a Tapu Koko will out speed their Greninja, but won’t be so fast to switch out of something they may be able to outspeed and KO, like Xurkitree (which they can’t because of his scarf). Thirdly, Xurkitree’s Special Attack is much, much higher, and Beast Boost can be used to snowball and even break through thick, resistant opponents. Lastly, he learns Energy ball to better check Ground-types like Gastrodon.View attachment 475922

Aeroplane (Latias) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Even with Tornadus, My team still has a hard time standing up to powerful Ground-types like Garchomp, Landorus, Gliscor and the like. I also feel very insecure with only one hazard remover. To help with this, I chose Mega Latias. This guy is also a useful Fire resist and can freely switch into Earthquakes. I decided to stray from the original Smogon set because it wasn’t dealing enough damage with only attacks, so I used Toxic. Apart from that, the set is pretty standard. I don’t think Latias is essential for my team, but it was the best I could find.

I’ve experimented with this team, and it works pretty well, however I have noticed a number of problems. As I mentioned before, my defensive core struggles with Fire and Ground types. They also both have a specially defensive EV spread, so my team has trouble with heavy physical attackers. Garchomp never gets a good chance to set up, and is usually the first one to go down, and the team needs either better support for Garchomp, or a replacement for him; most likely something bulkier like Gliscor. Overall, my main problems are Fire types, an unfulfilled sixth team slot filled by Latias (any possible replacement needs to be ground immune unless I end up using Gliscor, and have hazard removal), inability to properly use Garchomp, and trouble with physical attackers. I appreciate any suggestions to optimize this team, since it is one of my first successful teams.
Here’s the importable.
https://pokepast.es/005219a1ee2f8b46

DIYUSI

formerly KaiserKaiba
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hi BreloomBuddy,
Glad to see someone posting a team with Amoonguss (really cool pokemon). Moreover, Magearna is indeed a good partner. However, I believe your team has several huge weakness.
Firstly, the team lacks of a synergy (and purpose) outside of that core of Amoonguss and Magearna. For example, Garchomp is a very threatening pokemon in the tier but a few stuff will easily wall it (Latias-Mega, Kartana Z-Leaf Blade, ...). And, here, you do not have the tools to force progress, in contrary, you add a Xurkitree that will also suffer a lot from the same stuff that annoys Garchomp.
Secondly, I believe the strenght of the team is heavily lowered by, overall, sub-optimized set and/or pokemon. For example, Xurkitree is an horrible scarfer because, due to its poor speed of 83, even with a choice scarf, Xurkitree is not able to outspeed Alakazam-Mega (which is, in my opinion, the bar minimum for any scarfer). Another example would be the set of Latias-Mega: usually, Toxic is not the best option as the stuff that abuse it (Heatran, Clefable, Magearna, ...) are already immunized to it.
Finally, your team is weak to some obvious threats of the tier and, like you already said, Fire-type pokemons such as Volcarona or Heatran are some examples.

Thus, to help you, I will split my advices in two categories:
-the "Major Changes": where I will replace one pokemon
-the "Minor Changes": where I will just adjust sets

Major changes:

:Latias-Mega: -> :Charizard-Mega-X: I like Charizard-Mega-X more here. With its excellent dual-type, it will give you a check to common fires I mentionned before. Moreover, especially with Dragon Dance, Charizard is way less passive and put a lot of pressure on any builds.

:Xurkitree: :Choice Scarf: -> :Landorus-Therian: :Choice Scarf: I pick Landorus-Therian mainly because it provides much more utility than Xurkitree. The combination of enough speed for Alakazam-Mega, Intimidate + natural good bulk and excellent support moves such as Defog or U-turn increase a lot, overall, the viability of your team.

Minor changes:

:Garchomp: :Groundium Z: -> :Garchomp: :Dragonium Z: With the addition of Charizard-Mega-X, I believe a lot in Z-Outrage. Indeed, that one nuke button is extremely useful to bait usual switch to Garchomp such as Hippodown, Latias-Mega or Landorus-Therian, which open the path for Charizard-Mega-X. Moreover, without Stone Edge, Garchomp is now walled by Celesteela, Tapu Bulu or Skarmory but, fortunatly, Charizard-Mega-X is able to abuse all of them.

:Amoonguss: :Black Sludge: -> :Amoonguss: :Assault Vest: With the changes I implemented, the new team is much more faster and, therefore, I think Assault Vest on Amoonguss is a more logical pick as, with that item, you trade longevity with black sludge for a studier defensive answer in the short-term, especially for threat such as Greninja-Ash or Tapu Koko

N.B: I also add some other changes that I will not explain as they are just small improvements. Just look at the pokepast to have the team in detail and PM me/answer this post if you have any questions.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
EVs: 216 HP / 28 Atk / 176 Def / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stomping Tantrum
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magearna @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 15 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Heart Swap

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 104 HP / 188 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Defog

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 60 HP / 144 Atk / 108 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Explosion
- Defog

Hope you will enjoy the team and feel free to ask for more help in the forum. Good luck in your future games and see you soon!

Hi BreloomBuddy,
Glad to see someone posting a team with Amoonguss (really cool pokemon). Moreover, Magearna is indeed a good partner. However, I believe your team has several huge weakness.
Firstly, the team lacks of a synergy (and purpose) outside of that core of Amoonguss and Magearna. For example, Garchomp is a very threatening pokemon in the tier but a few stuff will easily wall it (Latias-Mega, Kartana Z-Leaf Blade, ...). And, here, you do not have the tools to force progress, in contrary, you add a Xurkitree that will also suffer a lot from the same stuff that annoys Garchomp.
Secondly, I believe the strenght of the team is heavily lowered by, overall, sub-optimized set and/or pokemon. For example, Xurkitree is an horrible scarfer because, due to its poor speed of 83, even with a choice scarf, Xurkitree is not able to outspeed Alakazam-Mega (which is, in my opinion, the bar minimum for any scarfer). Another example would be the set of Latias-Mega: usually, Toxic is not the best option as the stuff that abuse it (Heatran, Clefable, Magearna, ...) are already immunized to it.
Finally, your team is weak to some obvious threats of the tier and, like you already said, Fire-type pokemons such as Volcarona or Heatran are some examples.

Major changes:

:Latias-Mega: -> :Charizard-Mega-X: I like Charizard-Mega-X more here. With its excellent dual-type, it will give you a check to common fires I mentionned before. Moreover, especially with Dragon Dance, Charizard is way less passive and put a lot of pressure on any builds.

:Xurkitree: :Choice Scarf: -> :Landorus-Therian: :Choice Scarf: I pick Landorus-Therian mainly because it provides much more utility than Xurkitree. The combination of enough speed for Alakazam-Mega, Intimidate + natural good bulk and excellent support moves such as Defog or U-turn increase a lot, overall, the viability of your team.

Minor changes:

:Garchomp: :Groundium Z: -> :Garchomp: :Dragonium Z: With the addition of Charizard-Mega-X, I believe a lot in Z-Outrage. Indeed, that one nuke button is extremely useful to bait usual switch to Garchomp such as Hippodown, Latias-Mega or Landorus-Therian, which open the path for Charizard-Mega-X. Moreover, without Stone Edge, Garchomp is now walled by Celesteela, Tapu Bulu or Skarmory but, fortunatly, Charizard-Mega-X is able to abuse all of them.

:Amoonguss: :Black Sludge: -> :Amoonguss: :Assault Vest: With the changes I implemented, the new team is much more faster and, therefore, I think Assault Vest on Amoonguss is a more logical pick as, with that item, you trade longevity with black sludge for a studier defensive answer in the short-term, especially for threat such as Greninja-Ash or Tapu Koko

N.B: I also add some other changes that I will not explain as they are just small improvements. Just look at the pokepast to have the team in detail and PM me/answer this post if you have any questions.

Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stomping Tantrum
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magearna @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Heart Swap

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Defog

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Explosion
- Defog

Hope you will enjoy the team and feel free to ask for more help in the forum. Good luck in your future games and see you soon!
Thank you for the advice. I think this will help a lot. However, I’m not sure about Assault Vest on Amoonguss, since it can no longer run Spore or Toxic. I’ll try it out, though.

Hi BreloomBuddy,

Major changes:

Minor changes:

Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stomping Tantrum
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magearna @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Heart Swap

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Defog

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Explosion
- Defog

I tried out some of your suggestions, and they have really helped my team. One change I made was using a Mega Gyarados in place of the Charizard, since it has an easier time setting up and sweeping while still checking Fire types. I’m usually not one to use over popular Pokemon like Landorus Therian, and I’m sad to say, but it’s working really well on my team. The slight variation in the Garchomp’s set has drastically improved its usability, and I find myself in a lot more good positions to use its Z move. Anyways, here is the newly revised version of the team. Thank you again for your advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)