Gen 7 [GEN 7 OU] I try to make good Charizard-Mega-Y

DIYUSI

formerly KaiserKaiba
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hello, like you can read on the title, I try to build a team around Charizard-Mega-Y. To present the team, we will divide the thread in three parts:

I-A presentation of Charizard-Mega-Y

II-The teambuilding process

III-The team in detail

I-A presentation of Charizard-Mega-Y

0aa78a0061bda9d88cbb0bbf739cd9cc56522fe9.png
Charizard-Mega-Y is a Fly-Fire pokemon; For the stats, we have:
-HP : 78
-Attack : 104
-Defense : 78
-Sp.Attack : 159
-Sp.Def : 115
-Speed : 100
Talent: Drought
As you can see, Charizard-Mega-Y is a powerful wallbreaker. He has a high Sp.Attack, his main stab is boosted with the Sun (put by the talent Drought) and he have a correct bulk on the Special side (especially when he have access to Roost). However, his speed, even if he manage to reach the line of the hundreds speed, is not enough to ensure a safe sweep. Moreover, his dual-types, make him very vulnerable, especially on the Stealth Rock where he take four times the damage. Thereby, Charizard-Y-Mega is a pokemon which need support to be able to work efficiently.

Let's summarize the principal threat of Charizard-Y-Mega:

On the defensive side:

-Chansey: of course, the best Sp.Attack Wall on the tier will block without any problem Charizard-Mega-Y. Even if the pokemon has access to Focus Blast, Chansey is still one of his biggest weakness.
-Toxapex: like Chansey, Toxapex has the right types and enough stats to perfectly wall Charizard-Mega-Y. Unfortunately, his access to solar beam is not enough to threaten Toxapex.
-Latias-Mega: his dual-types and his bulk make him a right answer to Charizard-Mega-Y.
-Dragon-Type: On this category, the most problematic is Kommo-o due to his recovery. Garchomp is problematic too, but his lack of recovery (and of Sp.Def if no investment) make a frail to cheap damage.

On the offensive side:
-Fight-Type: Medicham-Mega and Lopunny-Mega deal a lot of damage even with the fly-resist.
-Ash-Greninja: Charizard-Mega-Y can take a Hydro Pump but Ash-Greninja stay a threat that need a correct answer
-Psy-Type: Tapu Lele (Scarf especially) and Alakazam-Mega need a answer
-Kartana: Charizard-Mega-Y is heavily pressure by Kartana due to his poor bulk of the defensive side.
-Stealth Rock: of course, a solid defogger/Rapid Spinner is mandatory with Charizard-Mega-Y.

Now that we unravel a little the pokemon, let's continue on the second parts.

II-The teambuilding process

In this part, we will detail how i process to build my team.

First, the star of this RMT: Charizard-Mega-Y.

0aa78a0061bda9d88cbb0bbf739cd9cc56522fe9.pngSprite_579_EB.png
First, I think Reuniclus is a really good partner with Charizard-Mega-Y. The idea here is that Reuniclus will take down Chansey and Toxapex (and give us a correct answer againt Medicham-Mega and Loppuny-Mega) and Charizard-Mega-Y will take down Steel-type pokemon like Celesteela, Ferrothorn and Skarmory.

0aa78a0061bda9d88cbb0bbf739cd9cc56522fe9.pngSprite_579_EB.pngtyranitar-256x256.png
Like I said, if we put on Reuniclus in the team, we need a pokemon dedicate to pass Latios-Mega. Tyranitar is the classic trapper against Latios-Mega.

0aa78a0061bda9d88cbb0bbf739cd9cc56522fe9.pngSprite_579_EB.pngtyranitar-256x256.pngexcadrill-256x256.png
Excadrill give us a way to deal with the Stealth Rock. Moreover, with the sand provide by Tyranitar, we gain much more Speed Control with his talent Sand Rush. Finally, Excadrill need Charizard-Mega-Y to pass, like Reuniclus, Steel-Type Pokemon.

0aa78a0061bda9d88cbb0bbf739cd9cc56522fe9.pngSprite_579_EB.pngtyranitar-256x256.pngexcadrill-256x256.pngSprite_784_EB.png
Kommo-o give us a defensive answer for Ash-Greninja and the Stealth Rock.

0aa78a0061bda9d88cbb0bbf739cd9cc56522fe9.pngSprite_579_EB.pngtyranitar-256x256.pngexcadrill-256x256.pngSprite_784_EB.pngbamboiselle-celesteela.png
Finally, Celesteela is our answer for the Psy-Type Pokemon and Kartana.

Now that we detail the teambuilding process, let's continue to the third part.

III-The team in detail

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost
Flametrower is his main stab, Focus Blast is needed for Heatran, Solar Beam for Water-Type Pokemon. Roost is probably mandatory on Charizard-Mega-Y because this move give him much more durability.

Sprite_579_EB.png
Reuniclus @ Electrium Z
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Recover
This set give for the team a excellent Match-Up against Stall. Calm Mind + Recover + Magic Guard is a perfect combination against Stall. However, Electrium Z is preffered over Psychium Z because, with Electrium Z, we can lure Celesteela and Skarmory.

tyranitar-256x256.png
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
Stone Edge and Crunch are his main stabs. Earthquake is here for the Steel-Type Pokemon like Magearna, Heatran or Mawile-Mega. Moreover, Pursuit is the main weapon of the team against Latios-Mega.

excadrill-256x256.png
Excadrill (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
The spread give a little bit of durability for Excadrill. Earthquake and Iron Head are his main stabs. Rapid Spin is here to help the team against the Hazards. Swords Dance make Excadrill much more dangerous for the opponent.

Sprite_784_EB.png
Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SpD / 140 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic / Rock Slide
- Protect
- Drain Punch
Drain punch (and Protect) is here to gave more recovering for Kommo-o and allow him to threatening Ash-Greninja. The Stealth Rock are obvious here. Toxic is here to punish Latios-Mega on the switch but Rock Slide is an option for pokemon like Volcarona.

bamboiselle-celesteela.png
Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
Leech Seed and Protect are here to give Celesteela recovering. Heavy Slam is his main stab. Flamethrower make him less passive against pokemon like Ferrothorn and Kartana.

This is all for my team. Feel free to give me advice to improve my team. I got correct results with this team (consider i'm only at 1500-1600 in the ladder). Thanks for the attention you will give for my post.

A team with Zard-Y needs better removal. I suggest taking off celesteela, and putting something that helps the volc matchup, such as fini. It also helps your team against wisp burns from wash, and toxics, which are a nuisance for you. This also provides you the opportunity to run something such as 3 attack drill with rockslide, to better help sweep. Next, Air Balloon on drill is better, as this allows you to set up on things such as gliscor, lando-t, or chomp since you don't have celesteela to come in on ground attacks. Other than that, with the possible exception of overcoat like Kalif Suggested, looks good. Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)