Gen 7 [GEN 7 OU] I try to make good Diancie-Mega

DIYUSI

formerly KaiserKaiba
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Pokepast: https://pokepast.es/5ef73bac1db87622

Hello, like you can read on the title, I try to build a team around Diancie-Mega. To present the team, we will divide the thread in three parts:

I-A presentation of Diancie-Mega

II-The teambuilding process

III-The team in detail

diancie-mega.png

Diancie-Mega is a Fairy-Rock pokemon; For the stats, we have:
-HP :50
-Attack : 160
-Defense : 110
-Sp.Attack : 160
-Sp.Def : 110
-Speed : 110
Talent: Magic Bounce
As you can see Diancie-Mega in a powerful wallbreaker. He has high Sp.Attack, a good Speed and, overall, a good movepool. Moreover, his talents, Magic Bounce, is a good way to prevent aggressively the hazards on your side from the opponent. However, his bulk is very bad and his dual-type make him frail against common types in OU such as Ground and Water. Moreover, his speed is not enough to outspeed somes pokemons like greninja and a lot of scarf-user will easily RK Diancie-Mega. If we consider again only his dual-type, we quickly notice that, if on the defensive side the dual-type is not good, on the offensive side, even with coverage, they still pokemons that can easily check and counter Diancie-Mega. Thereby, Diancie-Mega is pokemon that can provide a lot of strenght for the team but, in return, Diancie-Mega needs a consequent support to be able to work efficiently.

Let's summarize the principal threat of Diancie-Mega:

On the defensive side:

-Chansey: of course, the best Sp.Attack Wall on the tier will block without any problem Diancie-Mega. Even if Diancie-Mega owns a physical Rock stab represented by Diamond Storm, Chansey can still tank it and heal without a care.
-Steel-Type: on this category, I think mainly of Scizor-Mega, Ferrothorn, Celesteela and Skarmory. Each of them can check Diancie-Mega peacefully (if Diancie-Mega does not run Hidden Power Fire) and force Diancie-Mega to switch because of their Steel Stab.

On the offensive side:

-Scarfer-User: There is a lot of them. We can think of pokemon like Kartana, Magnezone or Landorus-Therian. In general, these pokemons oblige to run a backbone to make less painful the backfire of switching Diancie-Mega.
-Ash-Greninja (and Water-Type): Greninja outspeed Diancie-Mega and threatens him with his Hydro Pump.
-Serperior (and Grass-Type): Exactly like Greninja but with Leaf Storm.
-Lopunny-Mega: Outspeed and High Jump Kick OHKO Diancie-Mega.
-Pelipper + Swampert-Mega: With Swift Swin, Swampert-Mega outspeed Diancie-Mega and OHKO him with Waterfall or Earthquake.
-Ground-Type: Landorus-Therian (especially the bulky scarf set) threatens Diancie-Mega with Earthquake and can at least one Moonblast. We can expect for the other ground-type pokemons.
-Excadrill + A Sand Setter: Exactly like Swampert but with Sand Rush.

Now that we unravel a little the pokemon, let's continue on the second parts.

II-The teambuilding process

In this part, we will detail how i process to build my team.

diancie-mega.png
First, the star of this RMT: Diancie-Mega.

diancie-mega.pngvolcarona.png
Of course, Volcarona is a really good partener with Diancie-Mega. Diancie-Mega prevent the Stealth Rock from the opponent and Volcarona helps get rid of Steel-Type pokemons.

diancie-mega.pngvolcarona.png dami7zg-dc37437a-b3a0-4392-8407-f25d81f4e44c.png
Tapu Fini is a natural partner for Volcarona. Not only these two pokemon complete each other on the types, Tapu Fini helps get rid of Stealth Rock and check greninja for Diancie-Mega and Volcarona.

diancie-mega.pngvolcarona.pngdami7zg-dc37437a-b3a0-4392-8407-f25d81f4e44c.pngferrothorn.png
Ferrothorn give us the precious Grass-Type for our team. His Dual-Type cover nicely the weakness of Tapu Fini and he can put Stealth Rock and Spikes.

diancie-mega.pngvolcarona.pngdami7zg-dc37437a-b3a0-4392-8407-f25d81f4e44c.pngferrothorn.pnggliscor.png
Gliscor fit nicely into team by providing his Fly and Ground Types. Moreover, Gliscor greatly appreciates Spikes from Ferrothorn and help Tapu Fini and Ferrothorn with his capacity of check Heatran.

diancie-mega.pngvolcarona.pngdami7zg-dc37437a-b3a0-4392-8407-f25d81f4e44c.pngferrothorn.pnggliscor.pngkartana.png
Kartana give us more speed control and help to get rid of some problematic match-up like rain or Charizard-Mega-Y and Charizard-Mega-X.

Now that we detail the teambuilding process, let's continue to the third part.

III-The team in detail

diancie-mega.png
Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
- Protect
For Diancie-Mega, we will play it without a fire coverage. So, Moonblast and Diamond Storm are his main stabs. Earth Power is an excellent coverage to bypass pokemons like Heatran or Toxapex. Protect is a nice way to secure his mega-evolution by scouting on what move, for example, a scarf-user will be locked.

volcarona.png
Volcarona @ Psychium Z / Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic / Hidden Power Ground
Quiver Dance gives for Volcarona a way to gain Speed and Sp.Attack and sweep the opponent's team. Thus, Fire Blast and Bug Buzz are his mandatory stabs. For the last move, you have two choices: Psychic for Toxapex or Hidden Power Ground for Heatran; chose what you want (the two options are good). If you play psychic, you might run Psychium Z to have a garantueed way to bypass Toxapex. However, Buginium Z is still an option that need to considered because this item helps Volcarona to break more easier pokemons like Garchomp or Tyranocif.

dami7zg-dc37437a-b3a0-4392-8407-f25d81f4e44c.png
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 186 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
So, for the spread, because Tapu Fini in not here to check Heatran, we will put more EV on Sp.def and not on speed. Defog helps to get rid of Stealth Rock or other hazards. Moonblast is here to threaten greninja or Sableye-Mega and Dragon-type pokemons in general. Nature's Madness is mainly here to wear down pokemons that like to switch on Tapu Fini like Toxapex, Ferrothorn or Tangrowth. Finally, Taunt prevent pokemons to recover. Very important for pokemons like Chansey.

ferrothorn.png
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes / Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball is important for pressure Tapu Lele, Clefable or Serperior. Leech Seed is obviously here to recover Ferrothorn. Stealth Rock is pretty much mandatory on any teams. Spikes is really good with Gliscor but, if you really feels bad for the match-up against Rain, you can always run Power Whip instead of Spikes.

gliscor.png
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 244 SpD / 20 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Facade
This is the set of Bulky Sweeper Gliscor. Swords Danse helps Gliscor to sweep the opponent. Roost gives Gliscor more recovery in addition with Poison Heal. Earthquake is his main stab and Facade (boost by the Toxic Orb) let him to damage Fly-Type pokemons. The spread is here to make Gliscor a suitable check for Heatran.

kartana.png
Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Giga Impact / Smart Strike
- Knock Off
Kartana with Choice Scarf gives a lot of speed control. Leaf Blade is his main stab. Sacred Sword and Knock Off are his coverage. For the last move, Smart Strike is a second correct stab, but Giga Impact can be run. Giga Impact is mainly here in order to revenge kill pokemons like Volcarona, Charizard-Mega-Y, Victini or Charizard-Mega-X.

This is all for my team. Feel free to give me advice to improve my team. I got correct results with this team (consider i'm only at 1600-1700 in the ladder). Thanks for the attention you will give for my post.

Pokepast: https://pokepast.es/5ef73bac1db87622

Last edited:
Cool team overall, but could be better. I feel gliscor in this meta isn't too good, or at least it's sd set isn't. Go lucha over gliscor, since you have terrain. It also helps the ferrothorn matchup, bc if volc dies, you kinda weak to it. I would recommend also getting rid of ferro for another rocker. At this moment, the team is a bit weak to excadrill, which is always a nuisance. I don't know what you would put over it, but it just seems like a good idea lol (I'm tired rn, so sorry if I'm 100% wrong about stuff, or my logic is flawed). Other than that, looks good, and gl with it :D

DIYUSI

formerly KaiserKaiba
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Cool team overall, but could be better. I feel gliscor in this meta isn't too good, or at least it's sd set isn't. Go lucha over gliscor, since you have terrain. It also helps the ferrothorn matchup, bc if volc dies, you kinda weak to it. I would recommend also getting rid of ferro for another rocker. At this moment, the team is a bit weak to excadrill, which is always a nuisance. I don't know what you would put over it, but it just seems like a good idea lol (I'm tired rn, so sorry if I'm 100% wrong about stuff, or my logic is flawed). Other than that, looks good, and gl with it :D
First, thanks for your feedback, but I have a lots of doubts about your advices. I mean, lucha over gliscor, really? Gliscor not only is really good with spikes, he is my only my check for heatran (tapu fini can't deal with the magma storm set). Moreover, even if I can agree with excadrill being a bit annoying, ferro is like my only check for Rain et Psy-Spam. And, if you we can consider to completly change the defensive core, I would like to said that tapu fini is a good partner with Volcarona. So, the only pokemon that we can maybe change is Kartana. And even him has a really good spot on this team.

hi, I love the team, here are some changes I would do for it https://pokepast.es/df38370d9f335c1d. I think Ferro as your only hazard setter is not the best idea, as you need it to support Fini against electric type pokemon (so don't let your opponent weaken it). I would give Diancie stealth rocks, it has a good matchup against common defog users such as Tornadus-T or can weaken Tapu Fini on the switch. I don't see the actual utility of Gliscor in this team because you already have tapu Fini (i made it super bulky) for Heatran and a setup sweeper in Volcarona. Thus for the ground type, I chose a classical Landorus choice scarf and removed Kartana from the team. Because the team is weak to other Kartana (except Volcarona but relying only on it to check Kart is a bad idea) Tornadus-T is a good choice, adding defog support, "speed" control, a ground immunity, and a volt-turn core (double defog core with Fini may seem weird but it will greatly help Volcarona) (if you don't like double defog+magic bounce you can run knock-off on Fini). Hope you will like it :)
P.S: sorry for my English.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)