Pet Mod [Gen 8] CFM

Shall we relaunch CFM before or after the release of Gen 9?

• ASAP!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait until Gen 9

Votes: 15 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Regieleki: Yung Dramps/kakaks/Sharpest
Regidrago: Yung Dramps/kakaks/a_galvantula
Relicanth: Heracross2.0/Sharpest/Yung Dramps

Regieleki: Sharpest, kakaks, Yung Dramps (the three people that didn't give it amazing coverage lol)
Regidrago: Yung Dramps, kakaks, Heavyweapons Mann
Relicanth: Yung Dramps, Heracross2.0, ChoiceScarfed

Aight, really liking these votes! Here're my choice:

Regieleki & Regidrago (as a pair): kakaks, Dramps, sharpest
Relicanth: Heracross, sharpest, ChoiceScarfed

Ok so we figured out the slate here we go

Relicanth (PU)
Target BST: 485-505
Target Tier: PU or NU

Regieleki (New)
Target BST: 600
Target Tier: RU-OU

Regidrago (New)
Target BST: 600
Target Tier: RU-OU
After a poll on our Discord server we've decided the two new Regis would be the first Crown Tundra Pokemon we would tackle. It may seem premature to do them this early on but people have been voicing issue with how these Pokemon are design, notably their extremely one-dimensional movepools and certain other inconsistencies with the original 3 Regis. As such they need more heavy-duty modification than the birds and should receive that attention first. Doing just 2 Pokemon would be kinda barren though so we've decided to toss in Relicanth as it ties back into the whole Regi theme seeing as how it was vital for the original Regi puzzle in RSE as well as being another notoriously weak Pokemon we have yet
to touch.

Pokémon: Relicanth
Typing:
/

Stats (changes highlighted in bold)
: 100 / 110 (+20) / 130 / 45 / 65 / 55 (505 BST)
Abilities (changes highlighted in bold): Unaware, Rock Head, Primordial Sea, if not reasonable then just keep Sturdy
Moves: +Flip Turn, Slam
How this makes it more interesting:
Not really much you can do with this fishy tbh. All that's doable is buffing up what it can do. Unaware and Primordial Sea are meta references to its age and unchanging nature, the latter could be a funny pick but I understand if it's considered too excessive for a normal Pokemon.

Pokémon: Regieleki
Typing:

Stats (changes highlighted in bold): 80 / 100 / 45 (-5) / 125 (+25) / 50 / 200 (600 BST)
Abilities (changes highlighted in bold): Motor Drive, Berserk
Moves:
+Discharge, Earthquake, Focus Blast, Flash Cannon, Superpower, Zing Zap
Tweaks to existing moves/abilities:
Thunder Cage: 90 BP, 100% accurate
Far less one-dimensional than the vanilla version now that it has actual coverage and abilities that facilitate the boosted SpA. Berserk in particular is meant to reference this:
"This Pokémon is a cluster of electrical energy. It's said that removing the rings on Regieleki's body will unleash the Pokémon's latent power." -Sword dex entry
The stat changes are designed to give it the same points as CFM OG Regis but re-arranged.

Pokémon: Regidrago
Typing:

: 200 / 125 (+25) / 50 / 100 / 45 (-5) / 80 (600 BST)
Abilities (changes highlighted in bold): Mold Breaker, Intimidate
Moves:
+Earthquake, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Ice Fang, Poison Fang, Superpower
Tweaks to existing moves/abilities:
Dragon Energy: Magic
Similar MO to Regieleki where the changes are in the name of diversifying what it can do. Mold Breaker is a Dragon staple in CFM and Intimidate synergizes somewhat with Dragon Energy by letting it take less damage so that move can apply its full effect.

WDYM by Dragon Energy: Magic? (If this is a really dumb question, sorry.)

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
WDYM by Dragon Energy: Magic? (If this is a really dumb question, sorry.)
"Magic" is the term we use sometimes to mean "physical or special depending on higher attack stat"

Or maybe it's the term we use when a move's type is based on the user's primary type. idk i might be getting by terminology confused, either way I mean the former

To clarify, Magic does mean that a move does become physical if the user's Attack is higher than its Sp. Atk and vice versa. If the stats are the same, then the move sticks to its listed category (e.g. Photon Geyser: Special, Roar Of Time: Steel (Dialga's 100BP/100% Accurate Physical Steel-type sound-based signature move)

Thanks for your votes, ladies and gentlemen! Congratulations to Yung Dramps for his Regieleki/Regidrago submission, and congratulations to
Heracross2.0 for their Relicanth submission!

We're just discussing the results on the Discord server now - hop in if you want to take part!

Now, what would you guys like to see for the next slate on Thursday?

Other than the rest of the Galarian flops, here are some 8 gen mons that could use some help
1605092583732.png

A Rock/Fire type that almost works. Ultimately let down by its mediocre offensive stats and competition with other defensive Rock types.
1605092804391.png

Raise your hand who was disappointed when this thing's stats were revealed.

Other than the rest of the Galarian flops, here are some 8 gen mons that could use some help
View attachment 290551
A Rock/Fire type that almost works. Ultimately let down by its mediocre offensive stats and competition with other defensive Rock types.
View attachment 290552
Raise your hand who was disappointed when this thing's stats were revealed.
That's a very interesting pair! Coalossal's is kind of underwhelming on the whole and its typing makes it extremely matchup-dependent. Its signature move in Tar Shot's also pretty useless..

As for Frosmoth, it's not that bad, is it? It's a little on the slow side, but with its bulk and power, so what?

:articuno-galar: :zapdos-galar: :moltres-galar: could be one possible slate
:rillaboom: :cinderace: :inteleon: too. (respectively) guts, mold breaker and no guard isnt enough.
Hmm, the problem with doing the birbs all at once is that they kind of have to "match" the existing CFM birbs. They also need to be consistent with each other, so if this were to be a slate, I'd have to insist that they have to be submitted as a trio.

As for the starters, still not sure they're worth a slate :/

As for Frosmoth, it's not that bad, is it? It's a little on the slow side, but with its bulk and power, so what?
First off, good to see you back =)

Now on Frosmoth, this thing is held back mostly by its terrible typing and its inability to get past any Steel type. But yeah, despite being yet another slow Ice type, it is actually unique at that.

1605344755815.png
1605344769122.png

Anyway, here are more ideas for a slate. These guys have in common that have an unique gimmick (Octolock for Grapploct and No Retreat for Falinks) but fail at that (both have dropped to Untiered).

Now on Frosmoth, this thing is held back mostly by its terrible typing and its inability to get past any Steel type. But yeah, despite being yet another slow Ice type, it is actually unique at that.

View attachment 291408View attachment 291409
Anyway, here are more ideas for a slate. These guys have in common that have an unique gimmick (Octolock for Grapploct and No Retreat for Falinks) but fail at that (both have dropped to Untiered).
It's notable that we still have Hidden Power here, so Frosmoth can use that to get through steel types after a Quiver Dance and some chip damage.
Putting Falinks on a slate is a good shout, but we already have some stuff for Grapploct despite the fact I don't think it's actually implemented yet. It will be a water/fighting type, and I'm pretty sure we discussed giving it Aqua Jet to abuse with technician and help mitigate it's terrible speed.

View attachment 291408View attachment 291409
Thanks, man! And thanks for the suggestions!

All right, boys and girls! Time for another slate! For your slating pleasure, we have three more Gen 8 mons:

Coalossal (CNU)

Target BST: 510-535
Target tier: NU - UU

This mon is a bit of a mixed bag. Suffering from a poor typing, middling offenses and a signature ability that suits it much more to doubles play than singles, there's a lot that can be improved here. It also has a practically worthless signature move in Tar Shot which has the unique effect of making the mon it hits weak to Fire. Compared to fellow Rock/Fire-type that's had a lot of love in Magcargo, Coalossal needs some attention too!

Eldegoss (CPU)
Target BST: 480-500
Target tier: NU-RU

This monster has terrible stats, a worthless movepool, and little besides its niche of Rapid Spin + Regen to distinguish it from other Grass-types. It also has a signature ability that isn't much use in singles. However, it does have access to move which is *currently* useless and rather rare in Cotton Spore - perhaps there's potential there for an interesting buff?

Falinks(CPU)
Target BST: 480-500
Target tier: PU-RU

A champion of PU, and a perfectly viable and useful mon. However, it is rather a one-trick pony and does have underwhelming stats. No Retreat is an interesting move, but maybe there can be other things to make it interesting as well?

Accepting submissions until 23rd November!

coalossal.gif

Pokemon: Coalossal
BST: 110/90(+10)/110(-10)/105(+25)/90/31(+1) (536)
Abilities: Steam Engine/Solid Rock/Flame Body
New Moves: Work Up, Shore Up, Flash Cannon
Tweaked Moves/Abilities:
Steam Engine: Gives a one-time immunity to Fire/Water, gives +6 speed when absorbing.
Tar Shot: Now a base 80 BP special Rock move, other affects stay

Reasoning: Honestly Coal has a real good movepool already, good attacks to pick from on both sides, two hazards to set, and can remove hazards for you with spin as well! Shame they ended up being held back by pretty mediocre stats, a bad type, and mediocre gimmick signatures. I wanted to lean into that "versatile rock" role, with more emphasis on being one of the rarer special based Rock type pokemon. Stats were rearranged to buff Coal's offenses more, with the +1 base speed allowing you to outspeed max speed base 60s at -1 with max speed Adamant/Modest, alongside outpacing scarfed base 145s after a Steam Engine boost. Flash Fire seems kinda obsolete with the changed Steam Engine, and Solid Rock seems fitting for a mon composed of almost entirely coal. Work Up gives a nice extra punch on offensive sets (potentially even mixed shenanigans!), Shore Up gives reliable recovery that fits the "rock creature who can rebuild itself" thing (and to give more survivability on defensive sets), Flash Cannon gives that tiny bit of extra coverage to help smack Fairies with on special sets. Steam Engine and Tar Shot needed a buff of some kind, and I wanted to keep the gimmick of both as well, as they're neat gimmicks! Steam Engine would be BONKERS with a permanent immunity to both types and the +6 speed, but a one time immunity can give you that one safe switch to massively threaten the opposition. Tar Shot seems like it'd be an attacking move, as getting tar launched on you can't feel good can it? It should've done damage in the first place.

:ss/eldegoss:
Eldegoss
Stats: 70(+10)/40(-10)/110(+20)/90(+10)/110(-10)/60 (BST:490)
Abilities: Leaf Guard/Natural Cure/Cotton Down (HA)
Movepool Tweaks: +Psychic, +Disarming Voice, +Recover
Move Or Ability Tweaks:
Cotton Spore: When used, applies "Allergic" status to the opposing Pokemon. This persists even when switching out. If a Pokemon with the Allergic status is hit with a move that makes contact, they will take damage equivalent to that of a 50 BP special Poison-type move. If the Pokemon that used Cotton Spore has Technician, it will be boosted. They will then be cured of the status.
Pollen Puff: Same as before, but also applies Allergic status, even if they are an ally. Be careful!
Cotton Down: When a Pokemon makes contact with this Pokemon, they will obtain the Allergic status.

Reasoning: i've posted here as holy_shiinotic but i lost the password to that account rip
It actually has coverage now! Very limited coverage, sure, but it's there! I also decided I wanted to do something with pollen. And what do you think of when you think of pollen? Allergies! I also gave it Disarming Voice because it gets things like Hyper Voice and Sing. It has spectacular 70/110/110 bulk as well, so it still has a defensive niche.

:ss/coalossal:
Coalossal
Stats: 95(-15)/100(+20)/120/90(+10)/90/30 (BST:525)
Typing: Rock (more on that later)
Abilities: Steam Engine, Flash Fire, Magma Armor (HA)
Movepool Tweaks: -Solar Beam, +Rollout (from Rolycoly), +Steam Eruption
Move/Ability Tweaks: Tar Shot is now a 50 BP, 90 accuracy, 15 PP (max 24) special Rock move that also has a 20% chance to lower the foe's accuracy by one stage, on top of its normal effect.
Steam Engine now grants a one-time immunity to any Fire-type or Water-type move, adding anywhere from +1 to +6 speed depending on that move's BP:
40 or less:+1
41-60:+2
61-80:+3
81-110:+4
111-140:+5
141+:+6
Additionally, it also adds the Fire-type or Water-type to Coalossal for the rest of the battle.
Reasoning: Sorry for editing my post so late, I didn't think of this until now. Coalossal is now a largely physical attacker, but special sets are also a possibility due to its workable 90 base Sp. Attack and new options in Steam Eruption and the reworked Tar Shot. I had trouble deciding on its movepool, as it's one of the few Pokémon that learn everything you expect it to learn.

Last edited:

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
:ss/eldegoss:
Pokémon: Eldegoss
Tier Goal: RU
Typing: Grass/Fairy
: 80 (+20) / 40 (-10) / 120 (+20) / 80 / 120 / 60 (500 BST)
Abilities (changes highlighted in bold): Cotton Down* / Regenerator / Chlorophyll
Moves:
+Cotton Guard, Spore, Moonblast, Draining Kiss, Calm Mind, Dazzling Gleam, Play Rough
Tweaks to existing moves/abilities: Cotton Down works differently. Eldegoss' cotton now protects it from one attack or a single status effect, such as poison or burn. If Eldegoss is already immune to said move, the cotton will not disperse. If the cotton successfully blocks a move, all effects that would be applied are nulled (e.g Nuzzle will never paralyze and Trop Kick will not drop defense), but only if they were to affect Eldegoss. Multi-hit moves ignore the cotton. After the cotton is dispersed, it will regenerate itself and will reappear at the beginning of Turn 3 after it dispersed. Turns are not counted if Eldegoss is not active. Speed drop still applies.

How this makes it more interesting: Edelgard Eldegoss needed a major overhaul in my opinion, as there was so much wasted potential here. For starters, I gave it the Grass/Fairy typing it always deserved and upped its bulk to better fulfil the defensive Grass role. Although CFM already has a defensive Grass/Fairy (Florges), Eldegoss separates itself by having better mixed bulk, two moves that can boost its defenses, and the all-important Spore. Cotton Down's buff finally gives it a reason to be used over Regenerator, and I even put in Chlorophyll for Sun teams so it can use its unique offensive typing and Growth to plow through teams. Not the best thing ever, but Eldegoss doesn't have to be.

:ss/falinks:
Pokémon: Falinks
Tier Goal: RU
Typing: Fighting / Rock
: 65 / 115 (+15) / 100 / 70 / 60 / 90 (+15) (500 BST)
Abilities (changes highlighted in bold): Battle Armor / Rock Head / Defiant
Moves: +
Head Smash
Tweaks to existing moves/abilities: No Retreat now does not allow switching out, even with Shed Shell. Automatically activates on switch in if Falinks is the last Pokemon on a team, and if so makes attack +6; other stats are left unbuffed. Also only has 1 PP.

How this makes it more interesting: Not a lot to do here. Made it Rock type because it makes sense (it's in the Mineral egg group for crying out loud), added Rock Head because Banded Head Smash is funny, increased speed so +1 actually hits important benchmarks, and increased stats so it's not underwhelming. Maybe the No Retreat thing when it's the last mon is a bit overkill and could be nerfed, but otherwise I think this is good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)