SS OU Gen 8 Ice,Grass,Ghost,Fairy team

I've signed up for a Christmas competition which allows ONLY Grass/Ice/Ghost/ Fairy (atleast partially)
Ludicolo
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Def / 112 SpD
- Bullet Seed
- Protect
- Scald
- Knock Off
As usual I've included a multi hit attack- Bullet Seed. I'm really satisfied with having bullet Seed
I realise that Protect isn't needed for Ludicolo. So what else can I use instead of Protect? Maybe Energy Ball? I always use knockout to finish off opponent's item, so I wouldn't be comfortable if I've to remove Knock off.

Froslass (F)
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Def / 104 SpD
- Crunch
- Icicle Spear
- Shadow Ball
- Avalanche
I will use frosglass against grass types and thus I use icicle spear. I need a move instead of Avalanche.
Does crunch even makes sense here? Cuz I've never got the chance to use that move.
And of course a Shadow ball to confront other ghost types.

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Clear Smog
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Obviously, this is the main member of this team. If someone tries to use fire type attacks on Frossglass(which has never happened all three times I've played) I'll send in this guy so that he gets flash fire. Also I'll whittle down the opponent's health by will-o wisp. And of course I need Flamethrower to counter opponent's ice pokémon.

Weezing-Galar
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 SpD
- Dazzling Gleam
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Flamethrower
This is where I'm stuck. I've never used a fairy type pokémon before. I'm thinking of using Clear Smog instead of Sludge Bomb. Also, as I already have toxic spike. As there might be less probable to encounter steel types in this tournament I think I'm going to let Weez stay in our team

Roserade @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 136 Def / 228 SpA / 144 SpD
- Toxic Spikes
- Energy Ball
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
Iff I deploy Roserade I'll use Leech Seed immediately. I put my SpA as 228 so that I can use Energy Ball. Sludge Bomb. Can you suggest a good way to replace Aromatherapy?
I hope Aguav berry is a right choice.

Cloyster @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 253 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
- Icicle Crash
- Poison Jab
- Spikes
- Protect
I have included Skill Link in cloyster so that I can get the maximum out of icicle crash. Should I use shell smash instead of protect? Because I already have sufficient HP, Def and SpD. I would use Spikes as soon as the game begins if I didn't use toxic spikes. So taking away icicle crash and/or spikes is not comfortable for me. Maybe I could take away POISON JAB and use a water type attack?

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Interesting concept for a tournament. I'm running off the assumption that the following Pokemon will be big in this tournament: :Aegislash: Aegislash, :Appletun: Appletun, :Shiftry: Shiftry, :Whimsicott: Whimsicott, :Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn, :Darmanitan-Galar: Darmanitan-G, :Eiscue: Eiscue, :Clefable: Clefable, :Grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl, :Hatterene: Hatterene, :Togekiss: Togekiss, :Runerigus: Runerigus, :Weezing-Galar: Weezing-G, :Corsola-Galar: Corsola-G, :Dragapult: Dragapult and :Mimikyu: Mimikyu. Might be missing something but It's from this analysis of the meta that I'll be reviewing your team.

:Ludicolo: This set is interesting. I'm not really sure what its there for, though. It does not resist any of the 4 STABs. If you really want to use it then I suggest moving the Def EVs to SpD, the Attack EVs to HP and going a Careful nature. Its a decent Grass-type stop to Dragapult since its not also weak to Fire Blast. This will allow Ludicolo to surivive (just barely) a 2KO from specs Dragapult. Other Pokemon for this purpose would be Grimmsnarl, Clefable or Ferrothorn if you are comfortable playing around Fire Blast. You do currently have Weezing-G to cover for Dragapult somewhat, but I can't really think of any other use for Ludicolo without rain, to be honest.

:Froslass: The best Froslass set here is probably the standard:

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Icy Wind / Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond

Probably because you want to have a lot of offensive pressure here, and hazards + taunt can help whittle away the opponent's pokemon or prevent set-up sweepers. You could replace Icy Wind with Shadow Ball since Ghost has better coverage in this meta than Ice does, though the utility of lowering speed is nice.

:Chandelure: Chandelure seems like a good pick for this metagame, covering you against 3 of the 4 legal types. Your set looks fine enough though.

:Weezing-Galar: Weezing is also a good choice since it can do well enough against most Grass and Fairy types. Replace Dazzling Gleam with Strange Steam. I don't know why you have full attack investment despite having no physical attacks, I assume that was just a mistake. I would put that into either Def or SpA, depending if you want a more bulky Weezing or one that hits harder. Be wary of Hatterene and a potential Gardevoir, though, since they can hit it on its Psychic weakness.

:Roserade: Roserade isn't a bad choice either, though this set is walled hard by Dragapult, Aegislash and Ferrothorn, all of which I assume will be common in this tournament. I don't think you need T-Spkies on both this and Weezing, so I would replace that with Leaf Storm to have more a immediate damage presence. I'm not really a huge fan of Roserade since I think you should be focusing on Pokemon that have better neutral coverage against the 4 legal types, which neither Grass nor Poison have. Shiftry may be a better option if Dynamax is allowed, since it can set up its own Sun with Heat Wave.

:Cloyster: Cloyster is a fine check to Darmanitan-G. Also, you're mistaking Icicle Crash with Icicle Spear, Icicle Crash is not a multi-hit move. Rock Blast is probably a better choice than Poison Jab as well. I can see a Shell Smash set working fairly well since Ice + Rock has good coverage vs. the legal types.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have tried to use destiny bond (Gengar) in many Gen7 games before. But it doesn't work very good. why is it so?
Since that Froslass set is primarily a lead, it's primarily there to setup hazards. Destiny Bond can be helpful for potentially taking out a Pokemon on its way out so that other Pokemon who come in to take advantage of the hazards have an easier time.

Where are your items?
I normally use Aguav berry.
Since that Froslass set is primarily a lead, it's primarily there to setup hazards. Destiny Bond can be helpful for potentially taking out a Pokemon on its way out so that other Pokemon who come in to take advantage of the hazards have an easier time.
What I'm coming at is that whenever I use Destiny Bond the opponents realise it most of the time and switch pokémons which makes it fail.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What I'm coming at is that whenever I use Destiny Bond the opponents realise it most of the time and switch pokémons which makes it fail.
Good predictions just take a little practice. Try and think of what your opponent would do from their point of view. If you see a switch coming, don’t click DB, or you can even switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)