Metagame National Dex BH

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with Shell Smash gone I believe that the biggest problem in the meta right now is Belly Drum.
Belly Drum is an incredibly polarizing and matchup dependent aspect in the meta right now, and I suggest a quickban on it.
Belly Drum basically forces the use of Prankster Haze, and because most physical mons are capable of running Belly Drum, not switching in your Prankster mon on their Drum or using Spectral (and potentially risk getting crippled or outright KOed depending on the mon) leads to you straight up losing at least one mon.
Furthermore, the game basically becomes a game of matchup between the Drum user and the Prank user. If your Prank user naturally loses to their Drum user, whether through getting 2HKOed unboosted or getting OHKOed through a priority move or other gimmick, you lose, otherwise, they have a dead mon. This leads to Belly Drum being a High risk, extremely High reward move/set to utilize, and requires very little skill other than bring the mon safely on something it can threaten out so it doesn't click Spectral/Status/Phazing.
Finally, I suggest a quickban because there is very little reason to preserve Belly Drum in the metagame, as it is simply a form of uncompetitive cheese tactics that constrains teambuilding, rewards poor playing, forces mindgames and passive play, and creates matchup based games that are determined in the teambuilder.

In terms of the other aspects of the metagame that could potentially be problematic, I believe that Fishious Rend and Bolt Beak should still be watched, but with the departure of Smash the entire power level of the meta drops so teams have more room to run certain abilities like immunity and furscales. Fishious is more problematic than Bolt Beak here, despite both being incredible splashable coverage moves, simply because of Ashninja being a quite polarizing presence in the meta and that Bolt Beak has a natural immunity. V-create seems less problematic and potentially not problematic for me. Psychic Surge I believe is a healthy addition to the meta by providing alternate answers to Triage, which I actually believe to be quite polarizing and should be watched along with FishBeak.

100% confusion chance (plus Gale Wings and paralysis support) can allow you to hax through checks. Also, if you feel real cheeky, you can use it as a sweeping move when combined with boosting moves because 100% confusion makes it highly spammable.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
The rest of council is deciding on samples to submit so I guess I'll go first.

:ss/zacian-crowned::sm/mewtwo-mega-y::sm/arceus-water::sm/giratina::sm/gyarados-mega::sm/xerneas:

Originally this team started with Sheer Force Greninja-Ash (a chad set btw) but I found MMY lacking LOR to be pretty sad so I rebuilt the team to have that and then figured that Sap Zacian could improof it pretty well since it didn't have Mind Blown anymore. At that point I moved Greninja-Ash to another team (I would share that too but it's still in the works rn) and focused on Zacian-Crowned and MMY.

:zacian-crowned: Zacian-C has a pretty cool set, I find Play Rough to be super underwhelming against Zygarde so I went with Triple Axel here and used Sunsteel as its main STAB instead to beat Xerneas and Fairyceus.

:mewtwo-mega-y: Fairly standard MMY, HJK is here to beat Ice Scales Darkceus while Photon Geyser 2HKOs Groudon-Primal (don't really need Psystrike because Bolt Beak hits Kyogre and Ho-Oh anyway).

:arceus-water: Arceus-Water is a weird set but it works pretty well. It's great against DGZ, PDon, and other mons that rely on Electric coverage to beat Water-types. Ground Judgment hits PDon really hard and pressures Steel-types too. You might want Teleport over U-Turn for the slow pivot idk.

:giratina: Fairly standard Giratina set, Rocky Helmet is great for all the contact attacks and Entrainment affects Fairy Poison Heal users.

:gyarados-mega: Regenvest Gyarados-Mega is great, it scouts every Greninja-Ash mon besides ones with Bolt Beak. You could go for Beak Blast to burn it ig since the third slot is pretty free.

:xerneas: Standard Prankster set.

Hey buddies. I am going to share a team I have been using on ladder with strong sucess (I dont remember how to write sucess well, did I write it well?). I would like to submit it as a possible sample. It is based around a bulky defensive core where bee acts as breaker/pivot and gyara acts a supoort, removing hazards, items, and spreading paralizes to be able to punish non water resists hard.
https://pokepast.es/7cc691b5234a52b6

Screenshot_2020-07-31-20-36-05-006.jpg

I have been using this team for 2 weeks for now (with some changes over time). Only using it, I am top 1, also top 2 and the alt Ray Snakeyes in the top 5 is also mine. So I think the team works fine.
At this point I just feel gira is a deadweight, but I cant scrap it for something else bcuz bdrum stuff is scary.

Lol someone literally copied my full team and switched ho-oh.
Goodnight my lil boys.
I was going to make a decent rmt about this team but man, I am too lazy. Any questions about the team, hit me up in discord.

Why ice hammer over triple axel?
Hey buddies. I am going to share a team I have been using on ladder with strong sucess (I dont remember how to write sucess well, did I write it well?). I would like to submit it as a possible sample. It is based around a bulky defensive core where bee acts as breaker/pivot and gyara acts a supoort, removing hazards, items, and spreading paralizes to be able to punish non water resists hard.
https://pokepast.es/7cc691b5234a52b6

View attachment 265535
I have been using this team for 2 weeks for now (with some changes over time). Only using it, I am top 1, also top 2 and the alt Ray Snakeyes in the top 5 is also mine. So I think the team works fine.
At this point I just feel gira is a deadweight, but I cant scrap it for something else bcuz bdrum stuff is scary.

Lol someone literally copied my full team and switched ho-oh.
Goodnight my lil boys.
I was going to make a decent rmt about this team but man, I am too lazy. Any questions about the team, hit me up in discord.

Why ice hammer over triple axel?
I know that on average triple axel does more damage than ice hammer but in my experience and with my bad luck I just feel that ice hammer is safer to use. Use triple axel if u want, its up to you. Btw something I forgot to say in my post, for a long while bee had v-create instead of beak. This move helps to deal with an imposter switching (since its ohko) and also can serve as a solid spamming move for late game (and it also helps bee to be able to break a slightly weakned pdon). If I would have to choose I think I would go for v-create over bbeak but I'll leave that decision to either player

Last edited:
The NDBH Setpedia has been finalized and available for viewing! This document consists of most of the viable sets for every mon on the Viability Rankings, and more sets and mons will be added (and deleted) depending on meta changes. Note that the Setpedia is by no means a full compilation of all possible sets for each mon and there can very possibly be innovation for these mons. In addition we will refrain from adding gimmicky sets or extremely niche sets. There may also be outdated sets/movesets that are present that have not been pruned yet. This will also be available in the Resources Post that anaconja has planned.

Also if you wish to discuss NDBH outside of forums the #metagame channel and #rmt channel in the OM Discord Server can be used and council members as well as other players are pretty active there.

Some VR thoughts:

Arceus-Water A -> A+

In my opinion this is the best Arceus form by far. The standard Fur Coat set can switch into almost all of the most dangerous attackers, with the exception of Bolt Beak Zacian-C, which it takes about 55% from, meaning if you switch it into something like Play Rough, it takes about 25 from that, and then you still have the opportunity to try and fish for the Scald burn once. Arceus-Water keeps appearing on sample teams and the ladder, further proving how consistent it is.

Magearna B -> B- or C: Magearna doesn't really seem to do much in this meta that can't be done by something else. Its main niche is a pixilate rapid spinner, but with Rapid Spin's power boost, Mega Diancie is usually better suited for this role. Its defensive sets are usually done better by Arceus-Steel, Zamazenta-C or Solgaleo, as they can switch in just as well or better to wallbreakers such as Zacian-C or Groudon-p.

Latias-Mega Ur -> D: Ice Scales mons should have at least a Psychic Resistance so they can take on Psychic Surge and Sheer Force MMY sets. Latias-M has this and the dragon typing gives it useful resistances to Fire and Water as well, letting it also hold off Primal Kyogre and pivot into scary mons like banded Darm-GZ if you predict a V-Create. Special bulk is so good that it only takes about 35% from Xerneas's Moonblast, meaning it can easily neutralize that. The applicable set is:

Latias-Mega @ Heavy-Duty boots
Ability: Ice Scales
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 Spd / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Entrainment / Core Enforcer
- Strength Sap
- Spectral Thief

The quick speed is extremely helpful in some situations, such as outspeeding Darm-GZ after it used V-Create. This set can handle Poison Heal boosters with the exception of Dark and Ghost-type ones which are uncommon, even the fearsome Regigigas and Slaking, assuming you switch it in immediately and they don't have a sleep move. If you want to counter the sleep move mons, use goggles, but be aware that without the boots, Latias will be taking heaps of hazard damage if they are up which makes the job way harder. Xerneas gets neutralized as well. Latias's physical bulk is pretty okay as well, meaning it can even switch into something like Pdon, though it can't do much back to it, though strength sapping it can help you switch something else into it instead.

Latias-M is still weak to ghost types like Lunala and Mega Gengar, so having a faster mon or a pursuit trapper will help a lot against that. It's definitely not as good as something like Creselia, Lugia or Arceus-Dark, but Latias-m definitely has qualities they don't have such as faster speed or a typing that has unique resistances.

And now for a cool sample team!

https://pokepast.es/b37ada182b84f0f6

This team's goal is quite simple. Use Beedrill to poke holes then sweep with Kyogre.

* Beedrill-Mega: This is the main star of the team, as it is forces the enemy to switch to a steel-type most of the time. Triple Axel easily 2hkos Zyg-C, Power Whip hurts bulky waters like Swampert-Mega and Arceus-Water for a decent amount, and then U-Turn just keeps the momentum up. Toxic puts mons like Groudon-P, Arceus-Water and Giratina on a timer, making it way harder for them to wall your other mons. Improofed by Arceus-Fire.
* Kyogre-P: The other part of the offensive core is Kyogre-P. A simple PH Quiver Dance set threatens to snowball out of control during the late game once Core Enforcer and Prankster users have been beaten. Scorching Sands hurts Groudon-P for 75% at +1, and also threatens to burn other switchins, while Knock Off removes items like Leftovers , boots, and Rocky helmets. Revelation dance was chosen for its high pp and also because it lets you hit Mega Gengar for a 2hko after entrainment, in case Arceus-Fire is too weakened to take it on. Self improof.
* Arceus-Fire: AN alternative to Ho-oh if you can fit the slot. Arceus-Fire has much better physical bulk so it can switch in more freely to mixed attackers. It's a generally nice stallbreaker as its Lava Plume threatens to burn a lot of stall mons, and it can soften up offensive switchins with Parting Shot. Unfortunately this makes the imposter matchup annoying, as it has infinite pp, but it's well worth the trouble. Improofed by Kyogre-p and itself during the short game.
* Latias-Mega: See my VR nomination above. Latias-Mega fills some important holes in the team such as a check to Psysurge MMY and Regigigas. I decided to run Core Enforcer to give her some offensive presence, since Arceus-Fire can cover Xerneas. Improofed by Arceus-Fire.
* Zygarde-C: Zygarde-C runs Fur Coat to switch into scary threats such as banded Ash Greninja, Zacian-C and MMX. Shed Shell allows it to not be trapped by Shed Shell Imposter and other Zygarde-C, and is well worth the loss of the item slot in the current meta. Zygarde-C also holds off Regigigas and Slaking but can often also be burdened with checking other physical attackers; it has a very hard time checking both without Leftovers which is why I also have Latias-Mega to help.
* Snorlax: Standard Prankster Snorlax. This helps against Wallbreaking Mega Gengar sets, and is the most specially bulky normal type for this purpose. Snorlax can also take on other special attackers that Latias-Mega has a hard time with such as specs Greninja-ash which is fairly uncommon, but still worth considering. Court Change helps keep the momentum on your side if the opponent got hazards set up on you, and Facade let Snorlax switch less worriedly into status moves.

:dragapult: to D
While it does at 1st seem to be just worse gengar, it has a slightly better speed, allowing it to outspeed crucial threats like opposing mega gengar, mmx, mmy, zamazenta, Ash gren etc.
The normalize set in particular is threatening since it outspeed everything bar ZaCian. It is much much weaker in terms of damage output but it has slightly better speed and is even MORE imposter proof then gengar due to ghost memory chansey/blissey isn't even a real thing unlike spooky plate.

All things considered I nom it to D

DarkBeserker

Banned deucer.
:dragapult: to D
While it does at 1st seem to be just worse gengar, it has a slightly better speed, allowing it to outspeed crucial threats like opposing mega gengar, mmx, mmy, zamazenta, Ash gren etc.
The normalize set in particular is threatening since it outspeed everything bar ZaCian. It is much much weaker in terms of damage output but it has slightly better speed and is even MORE imposter proof then gengar due to ghost memory chansey/blissey isn't even a real thing unlike spooky plate.

All things considered I nom it to D
just because its faster, doesn’t mean its better.
all of its stats aside from speed and attack are worse than gengar.

given that shell smash is now banned, normalize isn’t that strong anymore as it struggles to threaten most walls anyway.

i understand it might have a niche over gengar, but i don’t think because of that alone it should be on the VR.

just because its faster, doesn’t mean its better.
all of its stats aside from speed and attack are worse than gengar.

given that shell smash is now banned, normalize isn’t that strong anymore as it struggles to threaten most walls anyway.

i understand it might have a niche over gengar, but i don’t think because of that alone it should be on the VR.
Did I say it was better?
What I said exactly was it has higher speed.
Between gengar and dragapult it isn't a contest. I do think pult however is worthy of D

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
The council has finalized their votes. Here are the new VR changes:

New Nominations
:Suicune: Suicune: UR -> D
Suicune is a niche option if the team wants Arceus-Water but has already used an Arceus. However, its weaker bulk, lower speed, and general passivity is very noticeable.
:Dragapult: Dragapult: UR -> D
Dragapult can pull off a very effective suicide lead with Mold Breaker thanks to its outspeeding everything besides Zacian-C, as well as its slightly higher bulk and useful resistances compared to Gengar. All other sets are outclassed by other Ghost types.
:Latias-Mega: Latias-Mega: UR -> D
Latias-Mega’s bulk and Dragon typing distinguishes it from other Psychic types like Lugia, giving it an key Electric resist (a common coverage type on mixed attackers) allowing it to use a Ice Scales set to pretty good effect. However, that means it’s also weak to Fairy, limiting the amount of mons it can check.

Rises
Arceus-Water: A -> A+
Arceus-Water is very versatile and splashable, able to check Greninja-Ash, Groudon-Primal, and some Zacian-C sets (all of them with Volt Absorb). With viable sets including Fur Coat, Regenvest, Volt Absorb, Magic Bounce, and Poison Heal, it’s very easy for it to find a spot on just about any team.
Arceus-Ghost: B+ -> A-
Arceus-Ghost is a fantastic spinblocker (and a great spinner), having much more bulk than Gengar-Mega while having an offensive presence unlike Giratina. It’s also the best offensive Arceus, able to clean teams with sets such as Tail Glow + Speed Boost.
:Gyarados-Mega: Gyarados-Mega: B -> B+
:Metagross-Mega: Metagross-Mega: C -> B-

Drops
:Mewtwo-Mega-X: Mewtwo-Mega-X: A+ -> A
MMX was a top tier attacker in Gen 7. However, with the addition of formidable checks such as Arceus-Fairy and Arceus-Ghost, as well as the rising viability of faster attackers such as MMY and Zacian-C, MMX finds it harder to keep up with a pivot-heavy meta.
Arceus-Dark: A -> A-
While Ice Scales Arceus-Dark is still a solid wall, the increasing usage of special Fairy coverage hinders its defensive presence.
:regigigas::slaking: Regigigas / Slaking: B+ -> B
:Magearna: Magearna: B -> B-
:Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: B -> B-
:Dialga: Dialga: B -> B-
:registeel: Registeel: B- -> C
Arceus-Ground: C -> D
Arceus-Rock: C -> D
:Alakazam-Mega: Alakazam-Mega: D -> UR
Arceus-Flying: D -> UR
:Reshiram: Reshiram: D -> UR

:ss/arceus-water::ss/deoxys-attack::ss/steelix-mega::ss/zygarde-complete::ss/zacian-crowned::ss/ho-oh:
Balance team revolved around two very fast breakers, Deo-A and Zac-C.
Zac-C set is pretty standard, Precipice Blades hits FF Steels and PDon while improofing with Ho-Oh, Sunsteel helps pressure out Fairies and Fur Coats.
Deo-A complements Zac-C breaking ability, Mind Blown cleans up opposing Zac-C, Bolt Beak eats through Ho-Oh and Kyogre.
U-turn on both let them form a strong U-turn core in chipping opposing mons, eases prediction in case of sash or random immunity abilities, scouts for Fur Coat, and also is the best way to chip MMY down.
Mega Steelix improof Deo-A and Ho-Oh if you forgo Anchor on it, provides a solid check to PH Fairies and Normals, and can soft check MG MMY if it is healthy and Leftovers are intact.
Ho-Oh improofs Zac-C and provides hazard removal. Frustration provides a strong STAB move that can help stall out Recovers while Extreme Speed can finish MMY after a U-turn. Lava Plume punishes transformed Zac-C harder but Fire Lash works well to create pressure which can lead into a switch to Zac-C or Deo-A to take advantage of Def drops.
Zyg-C is Prank, blanket check, and can provide hazards if necessary (or just force the bouncer in to create some doubling opportunities).
Waterceus does Waterceus things by being an Ice resist, a Water resist, a PH user, a Knock user, a Status spreader (burns can make Deo-A actually stay in on stuff), and a very nice pivot in conjunction with slow Volt Switch from Steelix to help bring Deo-A in.
Team overall should be able to deal with most threats in any game just from having the fastest viable mon in the meta and another very fast and bulky mon to support it which allow them to revenge kill threatening wallbreakers so that most games are winnable. MMY can be annoying to deal with because U-turn doesn't OHKO but Zac-C lives most hits while Steelix can soft check (SF is difficult to deal with however). Pheromosa is so weak to pose a threat offensively. Certain defensive mons like Fur Coat Giratina/Zygarde lives hits from Zac-C while requiring a significant amount of chip for Deo-A to clean with LoR, but with Burns and them being FC leaves them pretty vulnerable to chip.
Edit: If you want Deo-A to always OHKO Eviolite Imposter you need 57 Def and 56 SpD. If Hasty run 19 Def IVs and 11 SpD IVs, if Naive run 12 Def IVs and 18 SpD IVs (All min EVs) (Not that it matters what nature you run). If you want to only OHKO Blissey you need 83 Def and 83 SpD. If Hasty run 68 Def EVs and 28 SpD EVs and vice versa for Naive (Max IVs).

Last edited:
:ss/arceus-water::ss/deoxys-attack::ss/steelix-mega::ss/zygarde-complete::ss/zacian-crowned::ss/ho-oh:
Balance team revolved around two very fast breakers, Deo-A and Zac-C.
Zac-C set is pretty standard, Precipice Blades hits FF Steels and PDon while improofing with Ho-Oh, Sunsteel helps pressure out Fairies and Fur Coats.
Deo-A complements Zac-C breaking ability, Mind Blown cleans up opposing Zac-C, Bolt Beak eats through Ho-Oh and Kyogre.
U-turn on both let them form a strong U-turn core in chipping opposing mons, eases prediction in case of sash or random immunity abilities, scouts for Fur Coat, and also is the best way to chip MMY down.
Mega Steelix improof Deo-A and Ho-Oh if you forgo Anchor on it, provides a solid check to PH Fairies and Normals, and can soft check MG MMY if it is healthy and Leftovers are intact.
Ho-Oh improofs Zac-C and provides hazard removal. Frustration provides a strong STAB move that can help stall out Recovers while Extreme Speed can finish MMY after a U-turn. Lava Plume punishes transformed Zac-C harder but Fire Lash works well to create pressure which can lead into a switch to Zac-C or Deo-A to take advantage of Def drops.
Zyg-C is Prank, blanket check, and can provide hazards if necessary (or just force the bouncer in to create some doubling opportunities).
Waterceus does Waterceus things by being an Ice resist, a Water resist, a PH user, a Knock user, a Status spreader (burns can make Deo-A actually stay in on stuff), and a very nice pivot in conjunction with slow Volt Switch from Steelix to help bring Deo-A in.
Team overall should be able to deal with most threats in any game just from having the fastest viable mon in the meta and another very fast and bulky mon to support it which allow them to revenge kill threatening wallbreakers so that most games are winnable. MMY can be annoying to deal with because U-turn doesn't OHKO but Zac-C lives most hits while Steelix can soft check (SF is difficult to deal with however). Pheromosa is so weak to pose a threat offensively. Certain defensive mons like Fur Coat Giratina/Zygarde lives hits from Zac-C while requiring a significant amount of chip for Deo-A to clean with LoR, but with Burns and them being FC leaves them pretty vulnerable to chip.
Edit: If you want Deo-A to always OHKO Eviolite Imposter you need 57 Def and 56 SpD. If Hasty run 19 Def IVs and 11 SpD IVs, if Naive run 12 Def IVs and 18 SpD IVs (All min EVs) (Not that it matters what nature you run). If you want to only OHKO Blissey you need 83 Def and 83 SpD. If Hasty run 68 Def EVs and 28 SpD EVs and vice versa for Naive (Max IVs).
Why do you choose earth power over scorching sands on waterceus?

Gonna post my thoughts on the new VR.

Suicune to D - Well it's budget waterceus which is nice but worse in a lot of ways.

Dragapult to D - very well deserved although I had not thought of suicide lead sets.

Latias Mega to D - tbh I thought it could go higher due to dumbyy good bulk but here is fine ig.

Waterceus to A+ - Eh it's got a lot of rlly good sets but idt it's better than other Arceus forms.

Arceus Ghost to A-. Lol last night I was thinking of making this nom but couldn't be bothered. It's such a damn good cleaner with speed boost and while it does lack firepower w/out tailglow it's still incredibly strong and can easily setup on certain foes like slacking and MMY

Gyrados Mega to B+ - solid regenvest mon and other sets are nice but does it rlly need to go higher?

Mega metagross to B-. Why tho? It's outclassed by other steels defensively but it has an OK offensive set ig.

MMX to A - nonononono. Whenever I use it it always gets a few kills and it's incredibly fast and hits super hard, great Stabs. Strong disagree with the drop.

Darkceus to A-. I'm not sure I mean I guessss?? I thought it was fine in A.

Regislasking to B. Maybe??? Mostly disagree due to it being able to dismantle teams given the right opportunity with poison heal and choice band normalise while walled hopelessly by ghosts is an incredibly strong breaker able to bypass fur coat with sunsteel strike and a mighty 200 BP V create with Stab.

Magearna to B-. Well nah. This thing just isn't as good as it seems.

Ndm to B-. Nah. B is fine for it. Great defensive typing and stats.

Dialga to B-. I'm sad that I agree. I was rlly hyped to use it finally when I started playing it but I just found it's too slow. It's still a good breaker and regenvest wall tho

Registeel to C - budget steelceus.

Groundceus to D- umm ok?

Rockeus to D - lol why is it even ranked at all rock is just a poor typing.

Mega zam to UR - how is it not just worse deoxys? It's got like a tiny amount more bulk and can't afford mixed.

Flyceus to UR. If Dynamax was allowed it would be OK for airstream and whatnot but Dynamax isn't allowed so ye this is just not good.

Reshiram to UR. The mighty chicken dragon has faded

Now that is out of the way I will make my own nom.

:blissey: (Imposter) to A+. It's noticeably not as viable as Imposter chansey due to having a very miniscule amount more health and worse bulk than eviolite. It's of course still incredibly good but I don't think it's worthy of S rank alongside chansey

Last edited:
Why do you choose earth power over scorching sands on waterceus?
Earth Power is much stronger (Scorching Sands has a pathetic 70 BP) which can be crucial in picking up moderately chipped targets like Steel-types and it 2HKOs PDon after a hazard chip and a bit more. Scorching Sands spreading burns is unnecessary as Scald does the same and is much more spammable, the Ground move mainly to prevent PDon coming in for free. Other targets that are immune to Scald burns are either Fire-types (which are immune to burns anyways) or Water Absorb/Desolate Land users, the former being rare and the latter mainly used on Fire-types anyways (which are immune to burns).
Waterceus to A+ - Eh it's got a lot of rlly good sets but idt it's better than other Arceus forms.
Waterceus is higher than all other Arceus formes because it is easily the most splashable forme and the forme that you would want to use your Arceus slot on in many of your teams. Its sheer bulk and difficult to exploit typing makes it hard to deal with, especially considering it has access to two very good STAB options in Fishious Rend and Scald. Pure Water-typing is only weak to Electric (Grass is irrelevant) which while Bolt Beak is common can be accounted for fairly easily with Fur Coat or Volt Absorb. It synergizes well with other common defensive staples such as Zygarde-C and Ho-Oh by offering an Ice-resist (Kyurem DGZ) a Water-resist (Ashninja POgre) along with other useful backup resists like Steel and Fire.
Mega metagross to B-. Why tho? It's outclassed by other steels defensively but it has an OK offensive set ig.
Mega Metagross acts as an alternative to the solid NDM as a defensive Steel-type. The extra speed can be extremely useful either through a Choice Scarf set or just standard defensive sets by outpacing mons like Kartana and Regigigas and speed-tying Mega Diancie. Psychic typing helps distinguish it from Zamazenta-C while it doesn't use up the Arceus slot unlike Arceus-Steel.
MMX to A - nonononono. Whenever I use it it always gets a few kills and it's incredibly fast and hits super hard, great Stabs. Strong disagree with the drop.
MMX is pretty difficult to utilize in the meta when you realize that it's speed tier is quite average in the meta, being outsped by MMY, Zacian-C, Zacian, Mega Beedrill, Deoxys-A, Ashninja, DGZ, while speed tying Eternatus and Mega Gengar. This leaves it easily revenge-killed and also being bait for some very threatening wallbreakers. Its STABs are also not super great in the present meta, with common defensive/semi-defensive staples not being weak to either or even resisting one, such as Xerneas, Zygarde-C, Giratina, and Waterceus. Any set that isn't Choice Band has difficulty pressuring Xerneas/Zacian/Arceus-Fairy while Choice Band has to make some pretty obvious choices in what moves to lock into (Fighting is super commonly resisted while Psychic invites a bunch of the faster mons in).
Ndm to B-. Nah. B is fine for it. Great defensive typing and stats.
NDM is in an awkward position because of the popularity of Ashninja and PDon while mons it wants to check such as MMX and MMY are either not doing well in the meta or are using sets that can break past NDM. And defensively Solgaleo actually offers some key extra bulk such as dodging a 2HKO from MMX CC with FC while Metagross has more speed. It arguably isn't much better than Metagross although it still has the small niche of running Ultranecrozium Z in conjunction with Core Enforcer to lure and eliminate weakened checks like Giratina and Zygarde-C.
With the large amount of SpA offense this generation, ranging from MG LO MMY with Light of Ruin, Pixelate Diancie-Mega, Refrigerate Kyurem-W, to Mold Breaker Gengar-Mega, having less weaknesses and a key resistance and Immunity allows it to actually handle them cumulatively, like no other. Further, it handles both Moongeist Beam and Photon Geyser which break past Ice Scales.
The only example that you actually check is Kyurem-W, which is a super niche mon anyways because of its awkward speed tier and difficulty breaking teams thanks to the popularity of Arceus-Water and Ice Scales mons, among other things. Magic Guard MMY rips you apart with Bolt Beak (or even HJK), Diancie clicks Extreme Speed/V-create, and you actually cannot check MGar reliably because of Moldy TG bypassing Ice Scales and giving you this calc:
+5 252 SpA Mold Breaker Gengar-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Meloetta: 381-448 (94.3 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO (+5 is a 3.5x boost which is equivalent to a TG boost and an unboosted hit) and that is on +SpD as well with Sludge Bomb over Sludge Wave.
Handling Moongeist and Photon is also done better by Dark-types such as Yveltal, Arceus-Dark, and Mega Tyranitar, especially considering that the moves are super rare anyways (MGar runs Mold Breaker much better and MMY predominantly runs Mixed Sets that break through you).
Even mixed SpA sets like LO SF MMY with Bolt Strike can put Pokemon like Lugia, Ho-Oh, and Kyogre-P in KO range, thwarting even Strength Sap from saving them.
They still 2HKO you so you are not a switch-in at all, and considering these mons are so fast you basically need defensive switch-ins that can take 2 hits. Furthermore mono Strength Sap recovery is terrible on any defensive mon that requires longevity (including Skylake's Mega Latias set, running Recover is better) because it is so exploitable by switching in a Bouncer or a mon with very low Atk.
The great thing about Meloetta is that she has only 2 weaknesses, which are nearly limited to Physical attacks that she wouldn’t be facing on Special Attackers anyways, bar uncommon Yveltal / Dark-Arceus.
You also aren't providing a lot of resistances to help patch up the mediocre bulk, POgre gets away with this because it has 100 160 defenses.

Ultimately Meloetta provides very little defensive utility outside of checking a couple of uncommon special attacking sets that can likely be checked by other Ice Scales mons instead (or a combination of common defensive staples, such as Prankster Zyg soft checking Specs MGar in tandem with an Ice Beam absorber) which leads to it being very difficult to justify on teams. Its weakness to Knock Off and U-turn, common moves on offensive and defensive mons alike leaves it vulnerable to heavy chip damage and Pursuit further limits it when it doesn't have the physical bulk to take it on unlike Giratina and Lugia.
Chessking345 Replace Roost with Shore Up on Ho-Oh, so you don’t get undersped and trapped by Zygarde-C with Thousand Waves.
If you opt for Extreme Speed, you will end up getting pp stalled out if they pack Rapid Spin / Haze, like your own Zygarde-Complete Prankster set
Possibility, Roost or Shore Up is ultimately up to the player as Roost can allow you to scout for moves like Bolt Beak and Volt Switch if you got a Spin off but the fast Roost against Waves matchup is definitely noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)