Monotype [Gen 8] National Dex Monotype Bug. RMT

I've playtested this team extensively, and it's actually my go-to for Nat Dex Monotype! However, it stalls out in the mid-1300's and refuses to budge. I need some advice taking it to the next level. Scroll down below the spoilers for whole-team analysis and matchups.

It He, a B (Ribombee) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sweet Veil
EVs: 120 HP / 136 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Switcheroo
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Sticky Web
Excellent setup jammer. Switcheroo shuts down entry hazard setters like Ferrothorn, Toxapex, and Hippowdon, and kicks the legs out from under bulky walls like Blissey, Eviolite Chansey, and Eviolite Porygon 2. Defog and Sticky Web are a natural follow-up after Switcheroo on hazard setters, and Moonblast gives it chip damage options on switch-ins. Against Mono Dragon teams, Ribombee functions well as Revenge Sweeper once Duraludon/Dragalge/Altaria-M are out of the picture, and a beautiful switch-in for shutting down Clangorous Soulblaze vs either Dragon or Fighting. Use in the ways described has resulted in numerous instant forfeits.

Strong Mad (Buzzwole) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
Revenge Killer par excellence, and capable of sweeping entire teams with sufficient momentum. Ice Punch and Stone Edge let it revenge-kill Dragon and Flying threats and harvest Atk boosts to sweep. Earthquake is a solid coverage option for Steel, Rock, Electric, and Fire teams. A decent chunk of matches have ended in landslide victories when Strong Mad comes out, but just as many have ended in crippling failure due to a missed Stone Edge.

Praise the Sun (Volcarona) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
Setup Sweeper; I feel the build is fairly self-explanatory. Can outspeed and OHKO threats like Mega Swampert and Gastrodon...provided you get that Quiver Dance off. Has prompted multiple forfeits from Mono Grass and Steel teams once their Cradily or Heatran are out of the picture. Struggles to get setup in many matchups and in dire need of synergy.

Strong Bad (Golisopod) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Brick Break
A useful pivot to get Volcarona, Scolipede, or Ribombee out of a tight jam. 84 HP EVs let it reliably absorb thick hits just within the range to trigger Emergency Exit and get something more useful on the field. First Impression lets it revenge kill bulky psychic types such as Hatterene and Reuniclus, and Aqua Jet gives additional priority options to finish off weakened neutral and vulnerable targets or gain chip damage before being KOd or booted by EE. Brick Break makes it a decent pivot against screen setters like Grimmsnarl and Ninetales-A. Dies a lot, but that's its job.

Strong Sad (Scolipede) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Poison Jab
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide
My second go-to lead after Ribombee. I find Protect a more reliable option for building up speed boosts and scouting than Substitute. Megahorn, while occasionally unreliable, still yields reasonable damage. Rock Slide brings more sorely-needed coverage against Flying and Fire types and my butt has been saved by more than one clutch flinch, but sadly STAB Poison Jab is my only option against Fairy types at the moment. Fairly vulnerable to Intimidate, since it lacks Swords Dance.

HRRRARGHRGRHGRH (Pinsir-Mega) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Return
- X-Scissor
- Close Combat
High-speed revenge sweeper. Benefits greatly from having both Return and Quick Attack, especially against slower Ghost teams. Contemplated replacing Close Combat with Swords Dance, but having another CC user capable of outspeeding a wide variety of threats if Buzzwole gets KOd proved more useful in actual play.

So, as you can probably tell, this team's biggest drawback is its sheer fragility, relying on rapid offense and smart switch-ins for victory. Naturally, its most favorable matchups are against Grass, Psychic, and Dark, and it has a noticeable advantage against Dragon, Fighting, Rock, and Steel-type teams. The biggest challenges I have are with Fire, Flying, Water, Fairy, and Poison. Scolipede and Buzzwole can hold their ground against the first two, but once they're out of the picture I'm sunk. Water can be a bear, but is manageable if I can shut down the Rain setter. However, Fairy and Poison are, hands-down, my biggest problems, as I don't have a reliable way of breaking Diancie-M or Weezing-G, and Infiltrator Crobat can outspeed and OHKO both Scolipede and Buzzwole.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi, i Will try to help with your team.
I like some mons but don't love others, while i could argue with some sets.

:ribombee: Ribombee is a mon i personally like to use but i wouldn't say it's the most viable choice. For Hazard control u have options like Forretress which can be really great; i like Ribombee not being passive but i don't think it fits too much even tho it doesn't look terrible either. I think that if u really want Webs i would try Araquanid; he can set webs and helps dealing with Fire moves, but it can also carry Assault Vest renouncing at Webs.

:buzzwole: Set looks cool, u can also consider Poison Jab and Darkest Lariat for Fairy and Ghost teams, but it looks good.

:volcarona: Volc has different spreads, i usually like always 252 SpAtk and 252+ Speed since Timid can be really relevant in my opinion and if u want to compensate power i run Fire Blast as main STAB. not fond of Bug Buzz, it helps u deal with some mons like Hydreigon but i like Psychic and Hidden power Ground more. Psychic should help u vs poison and annoying mons like Tpex so i think it can be cool, while HP Ground can help destroying steel beating up Heatran. Giga Drain is a cool move since u don't have much for water so i think it is cool. As I said, i usually run Fire Blast to compensate Flamethrower's power and if I renounce at power then i like Fiery Dance as well.

:golisopod: This mon is cool but i think Araquanid is just better for Fire coverage. I am sure it can help for Dark or Psychic but i would prefer to use Leech Life on Buzzwole instead and Araquanid still grabs a Bug move + has great special defense bulk. I would replace him with Armaldo or Forretress for hazard control. I think they are both valid, i prefer Forretress as he can pivot out easily and set Spikes as well but i think both are fine + a removal might eventually allow you to run a Z-Move on volc instead of HDB.

:scolipede: One of my favorite mons but i usually prefer Scizor. I think he is good, there are also other options like Galvantula and Heracross but i wouldn't say hes bad. I prefer scizor for his help against Fairy, Ice and still being consistent, while Galvantula for sure can help vs Water and Flying. I would use Life Orb + SD since his base Attack is kinda low, and also a Jolly Nature, while replacing Rock Slide with Earthquake, that way you are checked by Steel Birds but Rock Slide doesn't do much unless flinches, so i think that works better.

:pinsir-mega: I like this mon and he is great, i do suggest Swords Dance>X-Scissor do and consider Earthquake/Stone Edge over Close Combat as well, all 3 of those moves cover different things.

I would change the team as follows: https://pokepast.es/21562f2394f70238
This should work better on ladder and overall be more solid and viable. I hope this helps you and for any questions feel free to ask :toast:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm...skeptical about losing another STAB bug move for Psychic, but I'll build a copy team with the changes you suggested and play around with it a bit.
Volc really doesn't love STABs and there is people who sometimes doesn't even run none of them, usually Fire Stab is always used cause just offers a strong move, then u like coverage and Psychic really helps vs Poison which otherwise make you suffer a lot, even tho there still is glowking which is annoying but if u chip that down Volc can become a strong win condition; Hidden Power Groudon allows u to destroy steel which also is a doable matchup but they can always scout your moves and safe switch. You are free to test and to use what you feel it works better for you, i made a team with the changes i suggested and you can find it at the end of the post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)