SS OU [Gen 8 OU Team] Heavy Lobster

Hey all, I built an OU team around Offensive Crawdaunt and wanted some feedback.

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet

Firstly, here's a pretty standard Crawdaunt who is intended to be the core focus of the team. It's a pretty standard set and nothing here is too special. Aqua Jet gives priority, Knock Off covers switches, Crabhammer is incredibly reliable and powerful STAB, and finally, Close Combat offers coverage for Pokemon such as Hydreigon, so Crawdaunt does not lose to it. Obviously Adamant nature, Max Attack and Choice Band gives everything a boost along with Adaptability. Max Speed helps quite a bit as it outspeeds Fairy threats like Clefable an answers back with an OHKO Crabhammer on less defensive Clefable builds, like Life Orb.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower

Building around Crawdaunt usually requires some U-turning or Volt Switching, so I thought that Hydreigon would be a good fit (and it contributes to Dark spam). This set gives profficient wall breaking for any Defensive bias Pokemon that Crawdaunt cannot handle alone. U-turn allows Hydreigon to create momentum for switching into Crawdaunt, especially as Clefable is a common switch-in, and Crawdaunt can usually handle this Pokemon. Flamethrower gives coverage onto Steel type Pokemon that don't care about Dragon attacks very much. Dark Pulse offers additional STAB that doesn't require a SpAtk drop.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon

The main reason for Aegislash being here is the fact that it covers all common weaknesses for Hydreigon and Crawdaunt. This is a pretty regular special spread with Dual STAB, King's Shield and Priority. 68 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed an atypical Clefable build and usually OHKO with Flash Cannon, though does have to worry somewhat about Clefables that have Flamethrower. It also struggles to beat Obstagoon, so it is possible that I could add some fighting type coverage with Close Combat or Sacred Sword.

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

Rotom-H offers some extra turning for Crawdaunt with Volt Switch. It provides additional Special Offense along with Aegislash and Hydreigon. Both Nasty Plot and Volt Switch make it difficult for the opponent to switch. Fast Will-o-wisp is always useful for crippling physical threats, but this spread can often get destroyed by Mold Breaker Excadrill. This build also offers some electric STAB, which is useful for wearing down the infamous Toxapex on the switch in to Rotom. Leftovers on the item slot gives some extra longevity. This spread also pairs well with Scarfed Hydreigon, who can deal with opposing Hydreigonsand Dragapults that are not scarfed.

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

Typical Clefable spread. This can deal with Corvinight lacking iron head relatively well and is very good for stalling against opposing Rotom-Heat. Moonblast also does good damage to opposing Clefables. Moonlight gives good recovery and Thunderbolt/Flamethrower allows for good coverage and predicting switches into Toxapex or any threatening Steel types like Excadrill, which otherwise would wall Clefable. Magic Guard is also a very useful ability to absorb Toxic and Burn, preventing these statuses being applied to Crawdaunt, who is crippled quite hard by status.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

The final Pokemon is Sash Excadrill. This works well as a potential rocks lead for creating mind games at the start of a match. It outspeeds Timid Rotom, allowing it to answer with a Mold Breaker Earthquak to OHKO. Rapid Spin gives much needed removal, but also works as a bait for opposing Aegislash, allowing for spin block predictions with Earthquak, which will often OHKO Aegislash, especially offensive builds. Iron Head is just more reliable STAB to kill Fairy types and gives a good chance for a flinch.

That's all, please give some ratings :]

Last edited:
I think this team has a pretty fundamental flaw if your aim is to build around VoltTurning into Crawdaunt.
Crawdaunt appreciates slow VoltTurns, not just VoltTurns in general, as they allow it to come in without taking hits. Neither Scarf Hydreigon, nor Volt Switch Scarf Rotom are what I'd describe as a slow VoltTurn.

To understand the difference, let's imagine your Rotom-H is in against a opposing Scarf Rotom-H, which is exactly the same as yours bar 248 Spe EVs (or 30 IVs). You both go for Volt Switch, and yours is faster so it Volt Switches first (for obviously little damage). You then cannot bring in Crawdaunt, as it might have to eat an Electric move on the switch:
0 SpA Rotom-Heat Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Crawdaunt: 254-300 (95.1 - 112.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock)
So you have to bring in something else to eat the Volt Switch, and your opponent is the one that can bring in a mon risk-free. If they, for instance, also have Crawdaunt, they can look at what you switched in and decide if Crawdaunt would get a free turn or not. If it would, Crawdaunt comes out risk-free ready to destroy, while if the mon you bought in beats Crawdaunt, they can bring in something else. That is the power of slow VoltTurns. This is especially important with Crawdaunt, as it is weak to both U-Turns and Volt Switches.

I think correcting this fundamentally alters the team, since you built around the assumption that Craw was going to be partnered with Scarf Hydreigon, which is not a great synergy. So while I hate to say it, your best chance is to start over. Since building the team for you is beyond the scope of this forum, I will instead suggest a list of widely used slow VoltTurners for you to consider. At least 2 would be ideal, or at the minimum 1 fast 1 slow. (Fast VoltTurns have their uses, but they are built on the idea that the mon you switch in takes the hit for something more fragile that is using the VoltTurn.)
Pelipper
Corviknight
Mandibuzz
Vikavolt
Toxtricity
While this is not a very long list, I would encourage you to consider it, and then return with an updated team, which I'm sure everyone will be happy to help you hone. Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!
P.S. Kirby name makes me happy. The new team should be Heavy Lobster EX.

Thanks for you reply! This is some pretty good feedback and I've made a few revisions based on what you said.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet

I changed Choice Band to Life Orb after some other advice and I think it works a little better as it allows Crawdaunt to use it's entire moveset whilst trying to sweep. Swords Dance is useful for calling out switches, though I may consider changing this to Dragon Dance due to the additional Speed bonus, which I think would be useful

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Hydreigon has been replaced with Dragapult. I felt that Dragapult served the purpose of Aegislash and Hydreigon but as one Pokemon instead of two. It blocks fighting STAB to the benefit of Crawdaunt and is fast enough to outspeed almost anything (almost as fast as scarfed Hydreigon). This set is pretty standard and also offers a faster U-turn option on the team.

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Roost

I took your advice to bring a slow U-turn Pokemon with Corviknight. I thought this would be the best option as it potentially baits in Rotom-H, allowing Crawdaunt to pick them off with a Adaptability boosted Aqua Jet on the next turn after potential rock damage, or if the Rotom is not a bulky variant. I also noticed that my team had an issue with Mold Breaker Excadrill as I lacked a flying type, so not even Rotom and Hydreigon could escape the Earthquake spam.

Ceflable (Clefable) @ Life Orb
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

This set is the same as before.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

This Seismitoad is an important addition, as the team formerly struggled with Dracovish on the defensive side, so bringing the primary Dracovish counter made sense to me. Seismitoad also allows me to bring rocks after removing Excadrill from the team, and wearing down opposing Pokemon will give Crawdaunt a much easier time.

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 84 SpA / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

This Rotom moveset is the same (besides Shadow Ball), though I decided to give it a bulky spread instead and make it deliberately slow in order to contribute to the slow VoltTurn offense. Swapping out Nasty Plot for Shadow Ball means that this spread can come in on Dragapults and send back some super effective damage in return, whilst not taking a huge amount from any Dragapult STAB.

Good day Sarcastrus!

I must say i like your team, but i will have to agree with theotherguy that fast VoltTurn does not provide :crawdaunt:Crawdaunt with much support. Nonetheless, i believe the team has potential, and i'll leave you my thoughts as to waht you can do, and then it'll be up to you as to what you want to make as an official edit to the team. I'll try to not stray away from the team's purpose, but i see a few flaws that need to be corrected.
Note that i will be making this rate an add-on from theotherguy's comment earlier, as well as rating under the assumption that this is a bulky offense voltturn team. This because i believe Crawdaunt functions best on these kinds of teams, which i'll get further into in the rate.

The rate;

Your team:
:crawdaunt::hydreigon::aegislash::rotom-heat::clefable::excadrill:
:crawdaunt:Crawdaunt is the teams main-member. Daunt is a strong wallbreaker that boasts good coverage in Adaptability-stab Water/Dark, as well as having Close Combat for coverrage. This pokemon breaks down various walls in the meta, the most common pokemon such as :seismitoad:Seismitoad, :sylveon:Sylveon, :ferrothorn:Ferrothorn, :corviknight:Corviknight and so on. It also makes it difficult for certain pokemon to come in, such as :rotom-heat::rotom-wash::rotom-mow:Rotom-forms
This pokemon does come with some drawbacks. It is quite slow and fragile, which means that it cannot come in on much, and it will also be forced out very often. This means Crawdaunt relies on the team having a solid defensive backbone that will let you get out Crawdaunt multiple times. As you say, VoltTurn is often benefitial for Crawdaunt, but because of it being so frail it also needs to be slow, as theotherguy says.

:choice scarf::hydreigon:Hydreigon is the pokemon you've chosen to team Crawdaunt up with. This pokemon provides with U-turn, though it is a fast one. This however is not the end of the world, because many of the pokemon that want to switch in on Hydreigon, such as :clefable:Clefable and :sylveon:Sylveon are threatened by :crawdaunt:Crawdaunt. Hydreigon benefits from being paired with a strong breaker such as Crawdaunt, since it makes it easier for Hydregon to potentialy clean up later game.

:aegislash:Aegislash is the next member for the team. This is a good pokemon by all means, it helps the team weaken and KO :cnokeldurr:Conkeldurr thanks to its Ghost-typing. It also gives another breaker for Fairies. I'm unsure whether the current set it what fits best for the team. We will get back to changes later.

:rotom-heat:Rotom-heat. This is your second and last pokemon for the VoltTurn-core. Rotom-heat switches in well to fairies, threatens them with Nasty Plot and Volt Switches out. As theotherguy mentioned, this pokemon has a bit too much speed to function optimally for your team, but the choice of pokemon is good, though we will look at how the set will work better for your team later.

:clefable:Clefable with :life orb:LO. This is a strong pokemon, checks dragons and :conkeldurr:Conkeldurr, beats :toxapex:Toxapex 1v1 thanks to Thunderbolt, beats :seismitoad:Seismitoad, :mandibuzz.Mandibuzz, :pelipper:Pelipper and checks and prevents :corviknight:Corviknight from setting up.

:excadrill:Excadrill provides the team with Stealth Rocks and Rapid spin. Rocks are definetely important for the team, but having a Rocks/Spin Excadrill isn't neccesarily the best way to go about that requirement. We'll have a look later at options to this.

A team with a lot of potential, but we should take a look at the focus of the team. Crawdaunt is, as prveiously said, frail and slow. This means that it will be forced out repeatedly, especially against offense. This means that Crawdaunt will need to rely on the team having backbones that can come in against pokemon that forces it out and pivot around it. You have most of the members needed to do this, but we should take a look at some sets to have them do this job properly. Hydreigon is also the only speed-control the team has, apart from Rapid Spin Excadrill and priority from Crawdaunt and Aegislash. The team should probably get a secondary win-con apart from Hydreigon that is either fast or have reliable priority.

Offensive threats / pokemon that forces :crawdaunt:Crawdaunt out:
:dragapult::hydreigon::dracovish::dracozolt::toxtricity::excadrill::conkeldurr::hawlucha::mew::cinderace:(situational)
You will find calcs below that go with my explanation of why things are threatening. Certain calcs are not included if they are self-explanatroy or not relevant to the point im making.
Whilst you'll find that many of these are checked by :hydreigon:Hydreigon or Aqua Jet from :crawdaunt:Crawdaunt, the team being as slow as it is is what makes these listed pokemon as threatening as they are.

:dragapult:Dragapult. This pokemon tend to run :choice specs:Choice Specs, which gives it a chance to 2HKO :clefable:Clefable as the set currently is. This pokemon is checked by :hydreigon:Hydreigon, but there is nothing stopping it from getting a kill almost every time it gets a switchin.

:hydreigon:Hydreigon. This pokemon does similar things that Dragapult does, but Hydreigon also has the option of running Flash Cannon which hits Clefable.

:dracovish:Dracovish / :dracozolt:Dracozolt. These two are big threats in the current metagame. Whilst they are primarily threatening to bulky teams and generaly like to run :choice scarf:Scarf these days, because this team is so slow, they are allowed a kill every time Crawdaunt tries to kill something from your opponent.

:toxtricity:Toxtricity. Excadrill can switch in on this 1 times, but that means Excadrill cannot be used prior to this so it receives damage.

:excadrill:Excadrill is a pokemon that the team cannot switch into at all. The moment :crawdaunt:Crawdaunt, with little prior damage, or :hydreigon:Hydreigon locks themselves into a move that Excadrill can come in and attack against, it hits the team hard.

:conkeldurr:Conkeldurr checks both :crawdaunt:Crawdaunt and :hydreigon:Hydreigon with Guts-boosted Mach Punch.

:hawlucha:Hawlucha. Unburden Hawlucha outspeeds :hydreigon:Hydreigon and threatens with Close Combat. It outspeed :crawdaunt:Crawdaunt regardless.

:mew:Mew is a pokemon that we dont see as an offensive threat very often, but it often carries moves that hits :crawdaunt:Crawdaunt super effectively such as Volt Switch. This is more of an mild annoyance rather than a threat, but annoying nonetheless.

:cinderace:Cinderace. This pokemon can be very annoying for the team to deal with if Rocks are up on your side. This pokemon has a strong Stab in Pyro Ball, has U-turn for pivoting out and High Jump Kick for coverage. If rocks are up, no pokemon will appreciate comming in on this.

Apologiez if the calcs are a bit messy. ;P
:dragapult:Dragapult
vs :clefable: 252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 178-210 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO
vs :rotom-heat: 252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Heat: 250-295 (82.2 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs :excadrill:252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 426-502 (118 - 139%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:hydreigon:Hydreigon
vs :clefable: 252 SpA Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 186-220 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO
vs :rotom-heat: 252 SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Heat: 195-231 (64.1 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:dracovish: Dracovish
vs :clefable: 252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 690-813 (175.1 - 206.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs :hydreigon: 252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 291-342 (89.5 - 105.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

:dracozolt:Dracozolt
vs :clefable: 252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Dracozolt Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 739-871 (187.5 - 221%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs :rotom-heat: 252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Dracozolt Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Heat: 269-317 (88.4 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

:toxtricity:Toxtricity
vs :excadrill: 252 SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Toxtricity Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 192-226 (53.1 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs :clefable: 252 SpA Choice Specs Toxtricity Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 462-546 (117.2 - 138.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs :hydreigon: 252 SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Toxtricity Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 294-347 (90.4 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

:excadrill:Excadrill
vs :crawdaunt: 252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 193-228 (72.2 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:conkeldurr:Conkeldurr
vs :hydreigon: 252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 252-296 (77.5 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs :crawdaunt: 252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 260-308 (97.3 - 115.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

:cinderace:Cinderace
vs :crawdaunt: 252 Atk Cinderace U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 162-192 (60.6 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs :crawdaunt: 252 Atk Cinderace High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 300-354 (112.3 - 132.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs :clefable: 252 Atk Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 235-277 (59.6 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs :rotom-heat: 252 Atk Cinderace High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Heat: 124-146 (40.7 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
vs :rotom-heat: 252 Atk Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Heat: 85-101 (27.9 - 33.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Recommended changes;

Major changes;

Swapping :excadrill: -> :seismitoad:
:seismitoad:Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Grass Knot
This swap is simply to give the team's defensive backbone deal with many more of the threats it's facing. Seismitoad will counter :dracovish:Dracovish, :dracozolt:Dracozolt and :cinderace:Cinderace, whilst it can also pivot against :excadrill:Excadrill and prvent :bisharp:Bisharp from setting up, though that isnt much of a concern to the team.
Seismitoad is a more reliable Stealth Rock setter than :excadrill:Excadrill, unless you were going for a suicide-rocker, in which case Excadrill is far better thanks yo it's speed, Mold Breaker and better attack-stat.
This set comes with the option of having Grass Knot or Toxic. This depends on what you find the most usefull. Grass knot lets you weaken opposing Seismitoads faster, whilst Toxic lets you weaken more pokemon over time, and cripple certain very bulky pokemon.

Drawbacks to this is that you loose hazzard-removal for the team, though i think having this pokemon here is much more benefitial. We can also make adjustments for the few pokemon that even care about hazzards on the team, such as :rotom-heat:Rotom.

Minor changes;
Set changes; :aegislash::clefable::rotom-heat:
:aegislash:Aegislash @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
I mentioned earlier that the team could benefit from having a second win-con apart from :hydreigon:Hydreigon, and this is what came to mind. This very offensively-designed Aegislash can live a :life orb:LO :excadrill:Excadrill's Earthquake and setup an SD, or kill it in return with Close Combat. This set is optional and can be played around with. The speed EVs are to outspeed uninvested :corviknight:Corviknight and most :clefable:Clefables that try to outspeed Corvi by 1 or 2 speed-points.
vs :excadrill:252 Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 184 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Aegislash-Blade: 165-195 (53.7 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:rotom-heat:Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpA / 112 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Overheat
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
As you can see, this set has no investment in speed and is missing 1 speed IV, this to outslow other Rotoms and get the slow Volt Switch that we want for :crawdaunt:Crawdaunt. Thunder Wave is recommended to cripple faster pokemon, and let Crawdaunt outspeed them.

:clefable:Clefable @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpA / 92 SpD
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast
This is a set i generally recommend for :life orb:LO Clefable. I made it myself. It's purpose is that Clefable will be able to switch in on :dragapult:Dragapult and :choice scarf:Scarf :hydreigon:Hydreigon without getting 2HKO (assuming they dont get the Crit or sp.def drop.). This set doesnt make Clefable underwhelming, and still has the power it already had from full investment. This set can beat physically defensive :toxapex:Toxapex 1v1.
vs :dragapult:252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Clefable: 160-190 (40.6 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
vs :hydreigon:252 SpA Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Clefable: 170-200 (43.1 - 50.7%) -- Very low chance to 2HKO. 3.9%.

I apologize that this rate has not been as detailed as i usualy make my rates, but im a bit short on time. I do however believe that these changes should cover most of the teams weaknesses, and give you the things you need to play around the rest of the problems.

The team:
:crawdaunt::hydreigon::aegislash::rotom-heat::clefable::seismitoad:
Importable; https://pokepast.es/6d17897c6d417cf1

Problems for this team;
-Hyper Offense. This team is particularily slow and relies on pivoting around and getting in Crawdaunt to break down the opposing team. This becomes too difficult against Hyper Offense, as it will break down the team too fast without Crawdaunt, Aegislash, Clefable or Hydreigon being able to do much. Particularily teams that have :obstagoon:Obstagoon, :toxtricity:Toxtricity and :hawlucha:Hawlucha are problematic.
When playing against HO, good planning is crucial, as well as keeping in mind what offensive threats HO will use and avoiding them getting to break the team early game.

I've tried my best to not alter the way the team was meant to be played.
I hope this helps. Have fun laddering! :)

If anyone see anything i missed or disagree with changes i've recommended, you are all welcome to say! But provide good reasoning. ;)

Thanks for your extra feedback! There's a lot to consider here. If you haven't seen already, could you look at my proposed changes from my first reply? I like a lot of the elements of yours and we have a lot of similar changes, I just have a few more major changes that I think are beneficial to the team.

Thanks for your extra feedback! There's a lot to consider here. If you haven't seen already, could you look at my proposed changes from my first reply? I like a lot of the elements of yours and we have a lot of similar changes, I just have a few more major changes that I think are beneficial to the team.
I can take a look later if you want, yes. It will take a few hours though as i'll have to test the team as an entirely new team

Agree with most of what was posted above, but I want to bring in a more high-tech Toad set.
Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Protect/Grass Knot
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
Toxic on Toad is surprisingly terrible. The only real targets for it would be other Toads, which can be covered by Grass Knot, and Rotom-M, who you should not be staying in on. The reason Toxic is a bad move on Toad is that most of Toad's switch-ins are either immune to it (Corv, Ferro, Conk, Gengar) or in the case of Clef actually like being poisoned (since it can't then take other status). Fishing for Scald burns while doing chip damage is a much better way to punish those mons switching into you if you want to go that route. Instead, Protect lets you scout choiced mons and surprise Grass coverage, which is a bit too passive for an offensive team, or Grass Knot lets you hit opposing Toads and other bulky Waters hard. Earth Power over the more common Earthquake gives you important extra speed while actually hitting harder against many mons, due to the prevalence of PhysDef mons. Some examples:
0 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 61-73 (17.3 - 20.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Seismitoad Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 75-88 (21.3 - 25%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 110-132 (36.1 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
0 SpA Seismitoad Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 126-150 (41.4 - 49.3%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
0 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kommo-o: 64-76 (18 - 21.4%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Seismitoad Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 82-97 (23.1 - 27.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Hope this helps. Note however that Toad really, REALLY likes having a Wish passer on its team so it can recover its health. Running Protect for extra Leftovers recovery may mitigate this to a degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)