Pet Mod [Gen 8] Perfect Galar

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Pokemon Name: Heatmor
Role: Switch Punishing Breaker
Stat Changes: 85 HP / 102 Atk (+5) / 81 Def (+15) / 110 SpA (+5) / 76 SpD (+10 SpD) / 80 Spe (+15)
Ability Changes (If Any): -White Smoke, +Stakeout
Movepool Changes: Spikes
What sets this Pokemon apart from ones with similar roles?: Heatmor has a bunch of wacky coverage on both sides of the spectrum + STAB Fire Lash, which should make it theoretically hard to switch in on, but its too slow and weak to capitalize on that issue. Now with some bumps to its speed, bulk and the ability Stakeout, switching in on Heatmor should prob to be quite the headache. Spikes compounds the strength of it switch punishing.

Pokemon Name: Pangoro
Role: Swords Dance Priority Breaker
Stat Changes: 95 / 136 (+12) / 98 (+20) / 54 (-15) / 86 (+15) / 68 (+10)
Movepool Changes: +Mach Punch, +Sucker Punch
What sets this Pokemon apart from ones with similar roles?: Urshifu does its duty with its high speed and power. Its truly hard to top how Urshifu does things, so I decided to go in a slightly different direction, focusing on the one tool Urshifu lacks - priority. Mach Punch, Sucker Punch, better bulk and Swords Dance in addition to STAB Knock Off might be enough to separate Goro from Urshifu, hopefully.

Pokemon Name: Machamp
Role: He who Forbids a lack of (Very) Slow Pivots
Stat Changes:
90 / 150 (+20) / 80 / 65/ 85 / 35 (-20)
Ability Changes: Guts/No Guard/Mold Breaker
Movepool Changes: +Pursuit
What sets this Pokemon apart from ones with similar roles?:
Machamp now punishes you for switching out instead of sacking a mon or using a slow pivot. And then it lowers your defense so you want to swap out. I'd like Conk the Builder do that! (Though it already does, kinda.)

Role: TR sweeper? Idk.
Stat Changes:
85 HP / 107 (+10) / 66 / 130 (+25) / 66 / 65
Ability Changes: -Flash Fire, +Solar Power
Movepool Changes: Fire Lash is once again a signature move.
What sets this Pokemon apart from ones with similar roles?: Lets see... Slower Fully Evolved Fire types with an offensive presence... Incineroar, Coalossal and.. That's pretty much it?

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
Name: Cherrim
Role: Unique Sun User
Typing: Grass
Stat Changes: 70 / 100 (+40) / 70 / 67 (-20) / 78 / 95 (+10) [500 BST]
Ability: Flower Gift.
What Sets It Apart: Cherrim's whole gimmick is its sunshine form, so might as well make it good. Unlike Chlorophyll users, Cherrim doesn't get a speed boost. What it does get though, is a free Choice Band boost by being in sun. It also, natively, gets Swords Dance for some boosting options. Unfortunately, it is walled by every Fire type due to its only other coverage being Play Rough.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Mold Breaker Mold Breaker: If this pokemon's attack is higher than it's special attack, contact moves lower the opponents defense. If this pokemon's special attack is higher than it's attack, this pokemon's moves with secondary effects lower the opponents special defense instead.
White Smoke: On switch in, causes an effect that makes all status moves miss this pokemon. However, this condition is removed if defog is used, or a fire and water move are used on the same turn.
These feel like too much of needless, extreme deviations from the original effects. Mind just keeping it as-is or giving them a different ability?

Typing: Grass (Sunshine form is Grass/Fire)
Type changes are not allowed in this mod for the sake of faithfulness to the OG concepts

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Role: He who Forbids a lack of (Very) Slow Pivots
Stat Changes:
90 / 150 (+20) / 80 / 65/ 85 / 35 (-20)
Ability Changes: Guts/No Guard/Mold Breaker
Movepool Changes:
Machamp now punishes you for switching out instead of sacking a mon or using a slow pivot. And then it lowers your defense so you want to swap out. I'd like Conk the Builder do that! (Though it already does, kinda.)

Role: I HATE YOU CHANSEY. I WILL SEEK YOU AND YOUR WHOLE FAMILY OUT AND SLAUGHTER THEM. NOT ONLY THE WOMEN, BUT THE CHILDREN AND THE EGGS TOO!!!
Stat Changes: 85 HP / 107 (+10) / 66 / 107 (+2) / 66 / 65
Ability Changes: -Flash Fire, +Solar Power
Movepool Changes: Fire Lash is once again a signature move.
I guess this stops pex and every pokemon that enjoys toxicing the world.
Heatmor still handily loses to Pex and Chansey doesn't exist.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Pretty good, makes sense within OU environment, though I feel bad for Spectrier. Also...
Yung Dramps said:
(Ranked A for context)
Cursola: Holy crap. Actually extremely good defenses? Regenerator? Focus Blast? Meta circumstances that benefit its prevo that apply to it? This thing is going to be freaking spicy, just watch
I can say my buff to Cursola really paid off this time! Don't forget that Focus Blast is buffed in the same slate as I subbed Cursola too, having 85% accuracy like Fire Blast for slightly better consistency. Still a Tyranitar / Pursuit food in an already Ghost-infested meta, but Cursola's newfound bulk and Regenerator give it an edge over many others.

Also voting for the following submissions:
G-Luke's Heatmor
Yung Dramps' Machamp
G-Luke's Pangoro
Ema Skye's Cherrim

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

Role: Switch Punishing Breaker
Stat Changes: 85 HP / 102 Atk (+5) / 81 Def (+15) / 110 SpA (+5) / 76 SpD (+10 SpD) / 80 Spe (+15)
Ability Changes (If Any): -White Smoke, +Stakeout
Movepool Changes: Spikes
What sets this Pokemon apart from ones with similar roles?: Heatmor has a bunch of wacky coverage on both sides of the spectrum + STAB Fire Lash, which should make it theoretically hard to switch in on, but its too slow and weak to capitalize on that issue. Now with some bumps to its speed, bulk and the ability Stakeout, switching in on Heatmor should prob to be quite the headache. Spikes compounds the strength of it switch punishing.

Pokemon Name: Pangoro
Role: Swords Dance Priority Breaker
Stat Changes: 95 / 136 (+12) / 98 (+20) / 54 (-15) / 86 (+15) / 68 (+10)
Movepool Changes: +Mach Punch, +Sucker Punch
What sets this Pokemon apart from ones with similar roles?: Urshifu does its duty with its high speed and power. Its truly hard to top how Urshifu does things, so I decided to go in a slightly different direction, focusing on the one tool Urshifu lacks - priority. Mach Punch, Sucker Punch, better bulk and Swords Dance in addition to STAB Knock Off might be enough to separate Goro from Urshifu, hopefully.

Role: No Guard abusing physical attacker
Stat Changes: 90 / 130 / 80 / 55 (Swapped with Spe) / 85 / 65 (Swapped with SpA) (505 BST)
Movepool Changes: +Gunk Shot, Power Whip
What sets this Pokemon apart from ones with similar roles?: While it can still theoretically run Guts sets, Machamp has more majorly been "brought back to its roots" by being given extra tools to make better use of No Guard, keeping it distinct from Conkeldurr. It also has a better speed tier as well as Knock Off access, which the construction mon lost because of Knock Off returning to Pre-Home distribution.

Typing: Grass
Stat Changes: 70 / 100 (+40) / 70 / 67 (-20) / 78 / 95 (+10) [500 BST]
Ability: Flower Gift.
What Sets It Apart: Cherrim's whole gimmick is its sunshine form, so might as well make it good. Unlike Chlorophyll users, Cherrim doesn't get a speed boost. What it does get though, is a free Choice Band boost by being in sun. It also, natively, gets Swords Dance for some boosting options. Unfortunately, it is walled by every Fire type due to its only other coverage being Play Rough.
You're winners, everyone.

Heatmor
G-Luke 3

Machamp
Yung Dramps 2
ChoiceScarfed 1

Pangoro
G-Luke 2
UltraFinder 1

Cherrim
Ema Skye 2
Plague Von Karma 1

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Alright, so at this time a lot of stuff is implemented, I'm decently happy with where we're at right now and I'm raring to start some playtesting tournaments minor and major. There's just one more thing we need to decide on, or rather one final potential change to the roster.

So, right now our current list of allowed Pokemon is the original 400 Galar dex mons minus Ubers, the DLC mons allowed via the Border Patrol slates... and the initial batch of Home/transfer-only Pokemon. It's that last bit I wanna address, as I am seriously considering junking those too. Simply put, it just seems like a really weird and arbitrary addition and a leftover of the earlier days of this mod when we thought the OG 400 was all we were gonna get. Getting rid of these mons also gives just a bit more breathing room to the remaining stuff - for example, Calyrex won't have to be fighting with Celebi, and Regidrago will have one less competitor in Kyurem. That said I can understand why some would want to keep these around in the interest of having more choices, some pretty interesting and fun to use like Zeraora. With all that in mind, ban the original Home mons, yes or no?

If this decision goes through, the following Pokemon will be eliminated from the usable pool:

The OG versions of all Galarian forms
Every 680 BST legend other than Zacian, Zamazenta and Eternatus
Non-Charizard Kanto starters
Mew
Celebi
Jirachi
The Swords of Justice including Keldeo
Kyurem
The Alola Starters
Necrozma

Melmetal will be kept regardless since we already spent the time giving it a direct retool as well it technically being a Gen 8 Pokemon. I'd also be open to the idea of keeping some but not all of these, even though that could defeat the purpose of the whole "streamlining the roster" aspect of this. If you feel that's the best path forward, be sure to nominate who to keep!

The poll can be found here:
https://www.strawpoll.me/42417296

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Ok, so looks like pollers want to selectively cull certain Home mons. Who do you propose keeping or removing?

Personally I'd be cool with keeping the Swords of Justice and the foreign starters too. Others I'm more iffy on

Ema Skye

Work!
Ok, so looks like pollers want to selectively cull certain Home mons. Who do you propose keeping or removing?

Personally I'd be cool with keeping the Swords of Justice and the foreign starters too. Others I'm more iffy on
Would add the three mythicals and the OG Galarians to this list. The uber legendaries can obviously go since this is an OU mod, and Kyurem/Necrozma make no sense without the rest of the trio

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
First things first: With a mix of personal judgment and community input I've finalized the legal Pokemon list. The Home-only mons are the ones I feel make the most sense and are fitting within the context of the mod and the Galar region in the games (e.g. SoJ are on Crown Tundra in its wilds, Alola starters can be obtained on IoA). If there are any last-minute objections please voice them soon!

Second off, I'd like to announce WE'RE GONNA START RUNNING DEM ROOMTOURS!!!! These'll be weekly affairs to familiarize ourselves with the metagame little by little, round-robin style. The first of these will be this Sunday at 7:30 PM EST, but I'm open to having the time changed, we still got a little under a week to go! Just speak up! https://dragonheaven.herokuapp.com/ will be the destination, inside the "tournaments" room

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
The Week In Review
As the first week Perfect Galar has really been fully playable complete with client support, it's been a time of lots of play and building, especially with the recent roomtour considered. The following is a bit of a recap of what's been used and what should be used.

Commonly Used Pokemon

One of the most common sights in this first stretch of the format's lifespan, Melmetal is absolutely a force to be reckoned with. It may be weaker and frailer than in vanilla but even then it can still do solid damage with its STAB Double Iron Bash and coverage, and more importantly its huge speed increase makes it a whole new type of threat, one that can shred numerous bulky cores with the correct coverage.

Regi cores are a thing now, carried by Regigigas becoming one of the best breakers in the format after its Slow Start elapses and it can spam the improved Crush Grip and oodles of other coverage with impunity. Its two most common partners seem to be Registeel and Regieleki, the former being a sturdy wall with various utility choices from Stealth Rock to Knock Off to Thunder Wave while the latter can hit hard and quickly pivot around anything that isn't a Ground type not weak to Superpower. I've also seen and used Regidrago and Regirock, but those are a little more rare/niche.

Yet another commonly used modified Pokemon except unlike the previous two cases this one doesn't seem all there. I dunno, whenever I or anyone else uses it it doesn't seem to get very far even with its slightly improved bulk and Calm Mind access.

These three are as sturdy and used as ever. Not much to say except no more WishPort jank on Clefable.

Galarian Form

There seems to be a fair amount of Zapdos-Galar hype thus far, but honestly I think it's gonna fall off once people begin to realize that Urshifu is still lowkey broken.

Does typical Liberace things. Probably gonna have to be nerfed once people learn to use it optimally but for now we can pretend it's balanced I think maybe.

Galarian Form

See Cinderace

Underrated/Unused Threats

I'm like the only person who has really used this Pokemon thus far and I don't get why. It's done wonders for me as a late-game cleaner with an Iron Defense Body Press set that can comb through so much Toxapex not-withstanding, as well as check Urshifu.

Only used by me and Squawkerz so far, but what has been seen seems extremely promising. Even with it no longer being capable of snowballing with Grim Neigh, Specs Astral Barrage is just an absurd nuke that forces things like Drapion to run Special Defense to not get blown away.

Where did all the Tyranitar usage go?????? It's in the best spot it's ever been with everything new that works for it (Dynamax and Pursuit returning namely). Use it, please!

Galarian Form Normal Mode
Hero of Many Battles

Two physical attackers I have yet to see anybody try out. I'm sure they ain't bad, just that nobody's taken the time to test them out.

Galarian Form

This thing is actually fucking stupid as hell, Talonflame on god damn krokodil seriously priority Shell Side Arm and Focus Blast is so lethal it's not funny

And Now, A Sample Team

Not the best team in the world but it provides a solid mix of fatness and power with the usual ticks. Also takes advantage of Cursola, another good-ass mon I have yet to see anyone else use.

So what do you think? What looks good? What looks bad? What's underrated? What's overrated?

not sure how accurate my opinions will actually turn out since I've played a grand total of 2 games, but here we go

Urshifu-Single Strike is probably the best pokemon in the meta right now. Even with the loss of Sucker Punch and the nerf of Wicked Blow, Urshifu hits incredibly hard with Choice Band, even against Dynamax/Gigantamaxed Pokemon.

Echoing what Dramps said, Spectrier is still incredibly strong even with the edited Grim Neigh. Specs Astral Barrage is similar in power to Urshifu's attacks. Its still managable with Priority and Ghost resists like Regigigas.

Excadrill is still as good as it is in standard, even without Toxic.

I think Regi Teams are really cool. I like the idea of having a core abuser (weather/terrain sweepers, trick room sweepers, etc.) being tied to certain pokemon rather than a field condition. Having a extremely powerful wallbreaker being held back by having to have less viable teammates (besides Regieleki) makes it balanced.

Speaking of Regis, Regieleki is still the speed demon that it is in standard. With the nerf to Transistor, I actually prefer running Clear Body on a Dual Screens set. Even though Screens don't protect from Urshifu, they are still extremely potent with all the strong wallbreakers running around.

don't know what this does but it swept me so it must be good.

I used both of these on my team and wasn't that impressed with either of them. I think defensive mons are gonna struggle with all the strong breakers running around right now.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Since the last one did well, we'll be having another roomtour later this week! Same time and date (Sunday @ 7:30 PM EST), once again with dragonheaven as the place. I would recommend using this tour to test some of the underrated threats I mentioned previously, just new things in general while also seeing how the current big threats adapt

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I reckon it's time for our first ever emergency nerf

Galarian Form

Quick Draw: Only works for applicable moves on the first turn out

In its current state, this thing is basically pre-nerf Talonflame on crack with a shitton of different moves it can use to take advantage of its ability as well as tools like Slack Off and Nasty Plot. This nerf lets it keep its role as an emergency check to the most out of control sweepers while making sure it cant break the game beyond that point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)