Pet Mod [Gen 8] To The Gigantamax! (Moved to V2, check post #39)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Tired of Dynamaxing ruining your games?
Wish that your favorite Gigantamax Pokemon was viable?
Hate how your favorite Pokemon has three Max Guards when Dynamaxed?
Well, it's time to go...
To The Gigantamax!
It's a cheesy title I know, but bare with me here.
Many people believe that Dynamax and its mechanics are quite overpowered, with some even saying that the concept itself is not competitive at all. On the flip side, Gigantamax seems to be underwhelming not because of the Pokemon that have access to it themselves, but rather because of regular Pokemon outshining them in their Dynamax forme (and yeah, some the Pokemon with Gigantamax formes kind of suck as well). Thus, To The Gigantamax is a Pet Mod that focuses on Gigantamaxing as a the main revolving concept in a metagame based on Gen 8 OU. The main rule of the metagame is that Dynamaxing is not allowed, but Gigantamaxing is. Now you might be thinking, "Are you stupid, Estronic? Gigantamaxing is just Dynamaxing with certain Pokemon AND they get a signature move along with their Max Moves. That's not fair for other Pokemon!" Well, I might be stupid occasionally, but I know what I'm doing here. Considering the fact that this is a Pet Mod, there will be new Gigantamax formes for Pokemon deciding by the community! Additionally, we might even take a dive into the mechanics of Gigantamax and tweak them so they're more fun to play with and against.

Submission Templates:
Pokemon: The Pokemon that is receiving the Gigantamax forme.
G-Max Move: The name, typing, and effect of the Pokemon's G-Max Move.
Role: A description of the role of the Gigantamax forme. There's a lot of things you can choose to put here, some of which can include when during the battle the Pokemon should be Gigantamaxed, if Gigantamaxing is a necessity for it to excel, or whether or not its G-Max Move allows it to be worth Gigantamaxing.

Additionally, since all status moves turn into Max Guard during Gigantamax no matter what, we will also be looking into making the status moves have different effects as Max Moves depending on its type.

Type: The type the status move needs to be to turn into the Max Move.
Max Move: The name and effect of the Max Move.
Purpose: A description on how useful the Max Move is, which can include if it's worth Gigantamaxing to use it, its synergy with the Pokemon's other Max Moves, and more.

Since Gigantamaxing isn't as complicated compared to Mega Evolving when it comes to stat changes, we will also be looking into the mechanics of Gigantamaxing and whether or not they should be changed to make a more fun metagame. There won't be any submissions for this, but rather discussion points that will be voted on in the voting slate.

The voting process will be the traditional way of doing it in most Pet Mods. List your three most favorite Gigantamax Pokemon and Max Move in your post, descending from your most favorite to your least favorite. For discussion points, you would only select one of the options, as most of them would most likely just be yes or no questions.

Council:
Estronic :dracovish:
(DM me on Discord if you'd like to be here!)

Resource Spreadsheet (no link yet)

Last edited:

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Slate One: A New Beginning
For this slate, you're free to give any Pokemon a Gigantamax forme, with a maximum of three Pokemon, along with their G-Max Move.

We will not discuss creating Max Moves for status moves so that we can get started without too much confusion.
Additionally, you can discuss anything about the mechanics of Gigantamaxing and how you'd like to see them implemented in To The Gigantamax. Some of these include the HP multiplier upon Gigantamaxing, the amount of turns it lasts, and more.

Also, keep in mind the role of the Pokemon you're giving a Gigantamax forme to. For a reference, here's a link to the list of every Pokemon with a Gigantamax forme and their G-Max Move it gets.

Let's look to close this slate for voting on December 7th (my birthday, actually!). Have fun!

Is reserving allowed? If so, I’ll reserve Wailord Wobbuffet, Corsola-Galar and Barraskewda.

Also, because I know I’ll forget, happy birthday to you!

:Wobbuffet:
Pokemon: Wobbuffet
G-Max Move: G-Max Psycho Crash (Psychic-type; activates Psychic Terrain, and removes all stat changes from the opposing Pokemon.)
Role: High bulk, only improved upon Gigantamaxing, makes Wobbuffet very, very hard to kill. In all essence though, this Pokemon is meant for its utility purposes. Shadow Tag is a very neat ability that prevents Pokemon from switching out, and if you pair this with a Gothitelle a mean Shadow Tag core is formed. Activation of Psychic Terrain prevents priority and boosts Psychic-type moves, making any Psychic spam cores good partners. Also, Wobbuffet stops set-up sweepers in their tracks with the stat removal of G-Max Psycho Crash.
However, lack of good offensive moves, low offenses (and defenses!), bad typing leaving it weak to very common Dragapult and Grimmsnarl among others makes Wobuffet a situational gimmic or meme potential at best, a useless weight at worst, leaving it a horrible option for Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing. However, this Pokemon best pulls its weight in Doubles, where is allows teammates to set-up on opposing Pokemon. If you ever need a high HP Pokemon that has utility purposes, this is the thing you need!

Wobbuffet-GMax @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold / Relaxed Nature (use Relaxed Nature and 0 Spe IVs for TR teams.)
IVs: 0 Atk
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Destiny Bond

:Corsola-Galar:
Pokemon: Corsola-Galar
G-Max Move: G-Max Perish (Ghost-type, activates Perish Song, restores all HP of this Pokemon.)
Role: With high Defenses, Corsola-Galar had only one thing lacking: a lackluster HP stat. Thankfully, with Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing, Corsola-Galar can now function as a decent wall. With G-Max Perish, Corsola-Galar also become a deadly trap, forcing switches from the opponent. Meanwhile, with Strength Sap, Will-O-Wisp and Stealth Rock, Corsola-Galar can use that turn to set-up. However, this can only happen once it’s Gigantamax period is over, as it would change to Max Guard otherwise. G-Max Perish also restores its HP, making for slightly better recovery than Strength Sap. It’s skill is even more obvious in Doubles, where it’s Perish Song Effect can cause more switches, allowing you a turn of set-up as well as a turn of free prediction. This Perish Song Effect May even allow you to get out of awkward situations.
However, Corsola-Galar in its Gigantamax form only has G-Max Perish as its offensive move, making all it’s other moves Max Guard. This may cause other more important Pokemon to hold the Dynamax position.

Corsola-Galar-GMax @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold / Relaxed Nature (Use Relaxed Nature and 0 Spe IVs for TR teams.)
IVs: 0 Atk
- Strength Sap
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Night Shade

:Barraskewda:
Pokemon: Barraskewda
G-Max Move: G-Max Hydro Barrage (Water-type, activates Whirlpool on target, raises Attack by 1.)
Role: Barraskewda was already a deadly opponent; however, with a new Gigantamax form, Barraskewda has better longevity, as well as powerful Max moves that allow it to deal Huge amounts of damage. Also, the new perks of G-Max Hydro Barrage allow Barraskewda to trap the opponent and raise its already insane attack stat even higher, allowing it to quickly steamroll out of control. The passive damage of Whirlpool is also a plus for Barraskewda, potentially bringing opponents into range of one of its lethal attacks.

Agility
Barraskewda-GMax @ Life Orb
Ability: Propeller Tail / Swift Swim (Use Swift Swim on Rain teams)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Agility
- Waterfall / Liquidation
- Psychic Fangs / Crunch
- Ice Fang / Poison Jab / Drill Run

Life Orb
Barraskewda-GMax @ Life Orb
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch

Choice Band
Barraskewda-GMax @ Choice Band
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
:togekiss:
Pokemon: Togekiss
G-Max Move: G-Max Blessing — Fairy-type | Raises the SpA of all mons on the field by 1
I almost wanted to give this move the rainbow effect to have a 120% chance of flinch on Air Slash but I'm not THAT sadistic lol. This max move helps Togekiss to sweep, but with somewhat of a counterpart. Using this move against something that can live its moves will open a door to counter-sweeping, so you can't necessarily just mindlessly spam it (although probably not that many mons can live a +2 130 STAB). Still makes Togekiss a big threat.

Pokemon: Frosmoth
G-Max Move: G-Max Absolute Zero — Ice-Type | Makes target weak to ice type (à la Tar Shot)
What's currently stopping Frosmoth from running rampant is mostly the fact that it has trouble breaking through steel types and other bulky things like Toxapex, more so than it's speed imo. This Max Move lets it 2HKO a lot of bulky things more easily which let it have a better chance to sweep.

Last edited:

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone

Pokemon: Accelgor
G-Max Move: G-Max Ninja Net (Bug-type, sets Sticky Web on opponent's side, prevents them from switching out)
Role: With Spikes and Toxic Spikes, Accelgor becomes an even better hazard setter when it Gigantamaxes, letting it set Sticky Web. With its trapping effect and Max Ooze coverage, it can set up on any passive trapped opponents, and due to naturally high speed, can attempt a sweep.

Ok I’ll join in:
:Runerigus:
Pokemon: Runerigus
G-Max Move: G-Max Hex Battleground (Ground-type move that sets up Stealth Rock and one layer of Toxic Spikes)
Role: A niche that Runerigus holds over Corsola is its access to Toxic Spikes. Setting up two different hazards in one move while having defensive merit against offensive threats makes Runerigus an interesting candidate for G-Maxing. Ghost typing also discourages Rapid Spin which makes this move all the more deadlier to combat.

:Noctowl:
Pokemon: Noctowl
G-Max Move: G-Max Laser Gaze (Normal-type move that raises Speed by one stage and increases crit multiplier by the increased depth perception in its eyes which allows it to pinpoint weaknessess with ease)
Role: Noctowl was buffed this gen by gaining Nasty Plot and alongside Tinted Lens and its Normal type G-Max move this Pokemon can snowball really quickly. It’s a unique Special wallbreaker that can still have issues against Steel-types played correctly.

Sounds fun

Pokemon: Frosmoth
G-Max Move: G-Max Ice Webs (Bug type move that sets Sticky Web on the opponent's side)
Role: Helps Frosmoth in its Quiver Dance role, by helping patch up its lacklustre Speed. Also provides role compression, giving your team another hazard setting option and specail sweeper in one go.

Pokemon: Cursola
G-Max Move: G-Max Ectoplasm (Ghost type move that also sets up Trick Room)
Role: Great late game cleaner, the G-Max move turns Cursola's horrible Speed on its head. Can be used on full TR teams, or just as a standalone sweeper.

Pokemon: Drifblim
G-Max Move: G-Max Ethereal Form (Ghost type move, prevents user from being critically hit or supereffectively hit for the rest of the turn.)
Role: This move is designed to reward Drifblim for outspeeding the enemy, which gives it great synergy with Unburden. Since Drifblim isn't a terribly hard hitter and might not be OHKOing everything it comes across, this could be very important for successfully sweeping with the pokemon, especially since you often need super-effective hits to break through Dynamaxed/Gigantamaxed mons with their boosted bulk.

Pokemon: Throh
G-Max Move: G-Max Toss Around (Fighting-type move, Priority -6. Switches the victim out, even if they're Dynamaxed/Gigantamaxed. Their replacement is damaged for 1/3 of this moves power.)
Role: This thing is desperate for any sort of niche, and in a pet mod based around Gigantamaxing I think being the only Pokemon who can phase gigantamaxers out is a pretty valuable niche, don't you? It's still completely incapable of phasing Ghosts out, though, and the base pokemon is pretty crap, so it shouldn't get out of hand.

Pokemon: Sawk
G-Max Move: G-Max Team Player (Fighting type move. Switches the user out, and gives its replacement +1 Attack, Special Attack and Speed.)
Role: The idea of giving a Pokemon a G-Max move that ends the G-Max prematurely may sound a bit odd, but I think it'd make for quite a unique gigantamax user. It's also basically the opposite of what I submitted for Throh: Instead of switching the enemy and harming the replacement, switch out the user and buff the replacement. This move gives Sawk the opportunity to quite safely set up a potential sweep for its teammate, especially considering it gets Sturdy. The trick is figuring out how long to use your other max moves for before deciding to switch out, and of course making sure Ghost-types don't block your important pivot move.

Last edited:
:polteageist:
Pokemon: Polteageist
G-Max Move: G-Max Boiling - Ghost-type move that burns the opponent
Role: A much more helpful Max Move than Max Phantasm, allowing Polteageist to sweep more effectively after Shell Smash but breaking Focus Sashes with a burn and maybe letting it survive a physical hit which helps activate Weak Armor
:inteleon:
Pokemon: Inteleon
G-Max Move: G-Max Bullet Rain - Water-type move that is weaker than most Max Moves (in the same way as Max Knuckle and Max Oooze) but always results in a critical hit
Role: Just wait for Sniper to be released
:falinks:
Pokemon: Falinks
G-Max Move: G-Max Crusade - Fighting-type move that raises the user's Defense by 1 stage and lowers the target's Defense by 1 stage
Role: Obvious Crusade joke aside, this lets Falinks sustain itself much more effectively after committing into No Retreat, making sure that Close Combat's drops won't make it revenge killable on the physical side where most priority moves come from

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Can we make GMaxes for as-of-yet unreleased Pokemon like the remaining Kanto starters, the Alola starters and the legendaries?

Astra

talk to me nice
Can we make GMaxes for as-of-yet unreleased Pokemon like the remaining Kanto starters, the Alola starters and the legendaries?
I'll allow it, though hold off on the legendaries for a bit. I'd like to get a focus on regular Pokemon for the first few slates. Thanks for asking!

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
image.jpg

Pokemon: Venusaur
G-Max Move: G-Max Jungle: Sets a terrain which heals all Grass and Bug types by 1/5 HP every turn and prevents them from being Statused. Lasts 4 turns.
Design: Venusaur's flower grows into a thick, extremely tall tree. Some of the leaves bloom into flowers that look like smaller versions of the base form's flower, with various bird and bug Pokemon crawling and traveling through the foliage and little holes in the bark.
Role: Venusaur is an incredible support for fellow Sun sweepers like Shiftry or Leafeon, especially physical sweepers who appreciate not having to worry about Burns. This support extends to physical Bug types too like Golisopod and Durant. It's also a godsend for Grass teams in Monotype.

image.jpg

Pokemon: Blastoise
G-Max Move: G-Max Typhoon: Forcibly switches any foes with stat boosts. Works on opposing Gigantamax Pokemon and ignores stuff like Ingrain.
Design: Blastoise goes fully quadrupedal, weighed down by the colossal railgun on its shell. Where its two smaller guns once came out of, there are instead little "cockpits" with machinery operated by Squirtle visible through the windows.
Role: Phazing against even other Gigantamax Pokemon.

Last edited:
Because I am a Basic B*tch here are the Gen 8 Starters! It surprised me how well they managed to fit a set theme, in getting past the ways players have come up with to counter Dyna/Gigantamax

:Rillaboom:
Pokemon: Rillaboom
G-Max Move: G-Max Cacophony |
| Uproar effect-Active Pokemon cannot fall asleep
Role: Substitute Breaker-The role of this Gigantamax form is to be able to beat Substitute shenanigans that can stall other Gigantamax Pokemon. Its G-Max move like the name implies would be a sound move that can bypass substitutes.
:Cinderace:
Pokemon: Cinderace
G-Max Move: G-Max Breakthrough |
| Ignores the target's stat stage changes, including evasiveness.
Role: Stall Breaker- Also really simple, allows this Gigantamax form to come in on Pokemon who have defensive boosts and blast past them like a soccer star.
:Inteleon:
G-Max Move: G-Max Sharpshooter |
| Swift effect- This move does not check accuracy. Hits foes even in a semi-invulnerable turn aka like fly and dig.
Role: Turn Breaker- Another simple role. Essentially in some metas people have started using Dig and fly and the like to burn Dynamax turns essentially giving some Dynamax Pokemon only one turn to hit a Dynamax move. This G-Max moves allows Inteleon to stop this and get 3 full turns of always hitting the target regardless.

1575172973169.png

Pokemon: Haxorus
G-Max Move: G-Max Dynamic Deathblade (Long name, I know)-Steel-type-Steel-type moves have an X1.2 boost. While it is weaker than other moves, it does X1.5 damage to Pokemon faster than it.
Design: Axes grow larger, Haxorus gains more metal-like plates/scales, and gains a glowing red Gigantamax-like symbol over its chest.
Role: Haxorus has...some speed. Many Dragon-types like Hydreigon and Dragapult and Fairy-types like Rapidash can outspeed it, causing its end. This will allow Haxorus to retaliate with the added health against them with a Steel-type move that can destroy Fairies and Ice-types.

1575174640616.png

Pokemon: Mimikyu
G-Max Move: G-Max Fear Sight-Ghost-type-Fears the other Pokemon that they let their guard down and allow Attacks that would not normally work to be taken in. (For example, Heat Crash would work on Dynamax, they could flinch, or Delcatty could actually exist to Ghost-types.) Goes last.
Design: Much of the costume is ripped, and where the eyeholes normally are giant flaps with shadows keeping them together. Shadowy hands come out of Mimikyu, and the bottom and Mouth are both open with eyes and hands like Pride from FMA.
Role: This could be broken (get it?), since immunities would be negated and many abilities could thrive or die in the scene. It could possibly be used to help Pokemon that can't stand other types' immunities.

Note: The next Pokemon isn't available in the Galar Dex.
1575174107364.png

Pokemon: Archeops
G-Max Move: G-Max Ancient Rise-Rock-type-Negates Archeop's Ability, and reduces the power of all moves by 20.
Design: Imagine Archeops but bigger and more majestic the end bye
Role: This will allow Archeops to finally get over Defeatist for once and continue on, surviving 1 or 2 more hits with the added HP.

Astra

talk to me nice
Yeah, try to keep the Pokemon to what's available in Sword and Shield, since this Pet Mod is based off on Gen 8 OU.

Pokemon: Avalugg
G-Max Move: G-Max Iceberg: Ice-type move that places an iceberg on the opponent's field (Ice-type Stealth Rock). While Hail is in effect, the iceberg cannot be removed by Rapid Spin, Defog, or Court Change.
Role: Avalugg is a good physical wall and hazard controller. This G-Max form enhances its hazard control role by giving it a unique entry hazard, similar to Copperajah's G-Max form. As an added bonus for Hail teams, the hazard cannot be removed when Hail is active.

Pokemon: Beheeyem
G-Max Move: G-Max Abduction: Psychic-type move that sets Trick Room, Magic Room, and Wonder Room.
Role: I thought an alien abduction idea would be cool for Beheeyem, being taken away to a mysterious room. Beheeyem has low base speed so it benefits from Trick Room. Magic and Wonder Room are pretty uncommon, so I incorporated those into its G-Max move as well.

Pokemon: Shuckle
G-Max Move: G-Max Valor: Bug-type move. If the target is holding a Berry, the user eats it and gains its effect. This attack's damage is calculated using the user's Defense or Special Defense depending on whether the original move was physical or special.
Role: Shuckle is typically used as a suicide lead Sticky Web user. This G-Max form allows it to surprise opponents with essentially base 230 attacking stats. I added in Bug Bite's Berry effect since Shuckle's Pokedex entries reference it hiding berries in its shell.

Pokemon: Avalugg
G-Max Move: G-Max Iceberg: Ice-type move that places an iceberg on the opponent's field (Ice-type Stealth Rock). While Hail is in effect, the iceberg cannot be removed by Rapid Spin, Defog, or Court Change.
Role: Avalugg is a good physical wall and hazard controller. This G-Max form enhances its hazard control role by giving it a unique entry hazard, similar to Copperajah's G-Max form. As an added bonus for Hail teams, the hazard cannot be removed when Hail is active.

Pokemon: Beheeyem
G-Max Move: G-Max Abduction: Psychic-type move that sets Trick Room, Magic Room, and Wonder Room.
Role: I thought an alien abduction idea would be cool for Beheeyem, being taken away to a mysterious room. Beheeyem has low base speed so it benefits from Trick Room. Magic and Wonder Room are pretty uncommon, so I incorporated those into its G-Max move as well.

Pokemon: Shuckle
G-Max Move: G-Max Valor: Bug-type move. If the target is holding a Berry, the user eats it and gains its effect. This attack's damage is calculated using the user's Defense or Special Defense depending on whether the original move was physical or special.
Role: Shuckle is typically used as a suicide lead Sticky Web user. This G-Max form allows it to surprise opponents with essentially base 230 attacking stats. I added in Bug Bite's Berry effect since Shuckle's Pokedex entries reference it hiding berries in its shell.
I don't think different rooms can be active at the same time.

WIP
Wow, I'm really bad at describing roles.
1575228046505.png

Pokemon: Rillaboom
G-Max Move: G-Max Rhythm
Type:
grass.gif

Effect: Raises Speed by 1 stage and sets up Grassy Terrain.
Role: Allows Rillaboom to outspeed opponents more reliably.
1575228445800.png

Pokemon: Cinderace
G-Max Move: G-Max Finesse
Type:
fire.gif

Effect: Confuses opponent.
Role: No idea.
1575228753652.png

G-Max Move: G-Max Eagle Eye
Type:
water.gif

Effect: Guaranteed critical hit.
Role: More reliably abuses Inteleon's HA.
1575229746658.png

Pokemon: Venusaur
G-Max Move: G-Max Fly Trap
Type:
grass.gif

Effect:
x2 dmg against
bug.gif
or
flying.gif
types.
Role: Provides more coverage.
1575229779262.png

Pokemon: Blastoise
G-Max Move: G-Max Deluge
Type:
water.gif

Effect:
Summons rain and raises Sp. Atk. by 1 stage.
Role: No idea.
1575229805072.png

Pokemon: Snom
G-Max Move: G-Max Frigid
Type:
ice.gif

Effect:
Freezes opponent.
Role: F o r t h e m e m e s.
Please do not take any of these seriously.

Astra

talk to me nice
Don't worry, I didn't forget. Voting time! The voting format as a reminder is listed below:
Most Preferred Choice
Second Most Preferred Choice
Third Most Preferred Choice

The point system is the same point system you're all familiar with. You cannot have more than three votes, but you can choose to only have one or two votes. Let's try to aim for a deadline of December 10th. Happy voting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)