Gen V Monotype Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I've seen, there is no thread for this as of this late stage.

My friends and I were thinking of kicking up a mono-type tourny at school and I was wondering about the opinion of you guys when it comes to Gen V monotype battles.

At some stage I'll list the threats of each type but as for now I'll just comment on how insanely OP weather is in this metagame. Drizzle wins the game even w/o SS. If you allow Blaziken and Venasuar sun tears stuff up and unless you chose a type that counters Excadrill you be screwed.

What do you guys think about monotype and what type should I choose (assuming drizzle/drought are banned)?

Normal: Togekiss, Lickilicky, Porygon-2, Porygon-Z, Blissey, Snorlax, Staraptor, Bibarel (LOL).

Fire: Ninetales, Charizard, Blaziken, Infernape, Rotom-H, Heatran, Darmanitan, Vulcarana, Chandelure.

Water: Politoed, Tenatacruel, Slowbro, Slowking, Jellicent, Vaporeon, Cloyster, Kingdra, Gyarados, Starmie, Omastar Kabutops, Azumarril, Octillery, Suicunem, Swampert, Gorybess, Rotom-W, Empoleon.

As far as I've seen, there is no thread for this as of this late stage.

My friends and I were thinking of kicking up a mono-type tourny at school and I was wondering about the opinion of you guys when it comes to Gen V monotype battles.

At some stage I'll list the threats of each type but as for now I'll just comment on how insanely OP weather is in this metagame. Drizzle wins the game even w/o SS. If you allow Blaziken and Venasuar sun tears stuff up and unless you chose a type that counters Excadrill you be screwed.

What do you guys think about monotype and what type should I choose (assuming drizzle/drought are banned)?
I use monotype Steel or monotype Water (Without SwSw) in Random Matchup. It's pretty fun, so far I've ran into monotype Ghost and monotype Bug.

Edit: You're laughing at Bibarel..? Ever heard of the ability "Moody"? It was so positively luck-based that it's been banned from OU. Only Octillery, Bibarel, and Smeargle (unreleased though, and I might've missed one) have Moody.

Watch this battle video to see how good Bibarel is now: 48-94546-73688

The Flying and Water types only have one type they have not been paired with yet (though Surskit is the only Water/Bug type).

Edit: You're laughing at Bibarel..? Ever heard of the ability "Moody"? It was so positively luck-based that it's been banned from OU. Only Octillery, Bibarel, and Smeargle (unreleased though, and I might've missed one) have Moody.

Watch this battle video to see how good Bibarel is now: 48-94546-73688
I was laughing at Bibarel because of the fact that it is usable. I played through the Inconsistent craze, annoying as hell. Infact, I use a Moody Bibarel on Random-Matchup and I have more enemy rage-quits than completed matches.

I'd honnestly go with Fighting, it's such a versatile typing and with gen V, it only got better. You can seriously make a decently functioning team by simply chucking together different pokemon that honnestly, do fill these roles pretty well.

Lead-Machamp
Scarfer-Kojondo (Mienshao i think is what it's called in english)
Special attacker-Lucario
Bulky sweeper- Roopushin (Conkeldurr?)/Zuruzukin (scrafy or scraggy?)
Technician abuser/sub puncher-Breloom
mixed attacker-Infernape
Set up sweeper- Terrakion

They don't obviously need to be these exact sets but you could make a pretty decent team with those pokemon. I say go with Fighting.

I'd honnestly go with Fighting, it's such a versatile typing and with gen V, it only got better. You can seriously make a decently functioning team by simply chucking together different pokemon that honnestly, do fill these roles pretty well.

Lead-Machamp
Scarfer-Kojondo (Mienshao i think is what it's called in english)
Special attacker-Lucario
Bulky sweeper- Roopushin (Conkeldurr?)/Zuruzukin (scrafy or scraggy?)
Technician abuser/sub puncher-Breloom
mixed attacker-Infernape
Set up sweeper- Terrakion

They don't obviously need to be these exact sets but you could make a pretty decent team with those pokemon. I say go with Fighting.
Why Sub-Puncher Breloom and not the mass-healing set? I use it, it beats pretty much everything slower than it

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Jolly
Poison Heal
252Spe/252Atk/4HP
Sub
Leech Seed
Spore
Drain Punch

Best monotypes are mono dragon, mono water, mono ground, mono fighting, and mono steel. Fire is too frail, and they suffer from not having any pokemon with a speed boosting ability that works under sun. Normal sucks because there is barely any normal type that can handle a scarfed fighting type, and fighting types are among the most common monotype teams. Also they don't have much variety.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
When someone says Mono-Flying, most people automatically thinks it sucks until they realize it gets all the Genies, Skarm, and 2 of the OU Dragons.

Mono-Flying is very solid this Gen. Thundurus, Landorus, Skarmory, Dragonite, filler, filler. You even have Murkrow, Honchkrow, Salamence, Staraptor, Gyarados, Tornadus and Xatu.

Mono-ghost isn't too bad either, having Chandelure and Jellicent to its name now. Psychic has also become quite good with the addition of Meloetta to stop Ghost-types from ruining your fun.

I actually used mono-steel in PO for fun. The team is:
Empoleon (SubAgility)
Ferrothorn (Generic supporter)
Bronzong (Dual Screen)
Cobalion (Swords Dance)
Heatran (Nitro Charge)
Metagross (Choice Band)

(in no particular order).

There's a monotype tier on the PO server and mono-ground is so epic that in fact, Hippowdon is banned. Or something along those lines...

And mono-poison is by far the most flexible type for beginners aside from Water and Fighting. You've got one of everything to make a decent semistall team.

Mono-ground is epic? Sounds more like a Hippowdon+Excadrill combo to me...

anyway I had a troll monotype normal that had Furret. :/

On Flying Monotypes, Xatu's essentially required, if only for the fact he's the most reliable way to keep Stealth Rock off the field.

Though, I've run a Psychic Mono in the Random Matchup, and it's really fun to deviate from the regular stream.

I personally have had great success w/ monobug. Resists to Fighting and Ground is sweet and lead sashmega nearly ALWAYS nets a ko (not uncommon for it too get an early sweep as well)

Genesect, Heracross, Scizor, Shuckle, and I'm currently testing for the 6th slot (aggiruuda was there for a while but I'm searching for someone better) Despite my lack of consistent 6th member I win the majority of my monotype matches (and nice portion of OU ones as well :D )

I personally have had great success w/ monobug. Resists to Fighting and Ground is sweet and lead sashmega nearly ALWAYS nets a ko (not uncommon for it too get an early sweep as well)

Genesect, Heracross, Scizor, Shuckle, and I'm currently testing for the 6th slot (aggiruuda was there for a while but I'm searching for someone better) Despite my lack of consistent 6th member I win the majority of my monotype matches (and nice portion of OU ones as well :D )
Have you tried Escavalier (Shubarugo)?

People might laugh, but I was playing around with a mono poison team for a bit.

Gengar, Crobat, Tentacruel are all very potent threats (don't doubt Crobat, he can really pull his own with his overall utility of super fang, u-turn, and taunt). Drapion is also important merely for the fact he is the only poison that is immune to psychic (with this generations slight increase in psychic attacks, its helpful).

I also played around with a more attacking based team with Venomoth to BP a Dance or 2 for Toxicroak or Nidoking.

I tried more defensive variants with Weezing and Amoongus, while testing out Nidoqueen as well. Its nice to have 2-3 Ground immune on a poison team, and Drapion covers the psychic weakness as well (although hes the only one).

Overall, it was a lot of fun to play around with. There are some very potent poison types that really help the overall team move forward. Its just that crippling weakness to ground that really gets to them, but you can get around that (3 immune and 1 neutral at most).

Edit: Forgot about Skuntank, who is also immune to psychic.

I'm a big fan of Normal mono, and yes, dealing with fighting can be a pain, but it isn't impossible.

I usually deal with fighting types by using paraflinch Togekiss, or band/scarf Staraptor. Sometimes Porygon2 can even deal with them, especially if they're running Superpower.

I also use Sawsbuck as a counter to Breloom(until Techniloom is released), Whimsicott, Serperior, and other grass stuff.

Ambipom or Persian make great leads, and I've had success with a Scarf Smeargle lead.

I like using monotype Psychic just to annoy the hell out of people, since Mew is now able to fight in OU as well as te Lati twins, toxic stall Deoxys-D, and to annoy alittle more, regenerator Reuniclus/Slowbro

oh have some people left the match because of it :)

I use Crustle on my mono-bug team. It has Sturdy, has STAB rock for fire and flying enimies, and sets up hazards. I also use Galvantula, and it fucking beasts so hard on so much. It's my MVP in about 50% of matches, seriously. I just use LO + 4 attacks with Thunder/Bug Buzz/Energy Ball/HP Ice. Not hitting Ferrothorn sucks but Genesect has Flamethrower and Scizor has Superpower, so whatever.

Crustle (support set)
Genesect (Scarf)
Scizor (Band)
Galvantula (LO+4 attacks)
Forretress (mainly for Rapid Spin, also sets T-spikes)
Volcorona (set-up sweeper)

Basically sets up hazards, annoys with dual U-turners while punching holes until Volcorona can finish up. It's loads of fun to play, and actually works pretty well in DW OU, especially now that PO banned Chandelure. =P

I'm surprised nobody mentioned dark mono-type.

With Spirittomb and Sableyes resisting dark most prominent weakness: Fighting

Including steath rock inducer: Bisharp

Including the powerhouses: Scraggy, Hydrogein, Tyranitar, Absol

Including walls like: Mandibuzz, Tyranitar, Umbreon

People might laugh, but I was playing around with a mono poison team for a bit.

Gengar, Crobat, Tentacruel are all very potent threats (don't doubt Crobat, he can really pull his own with his overall utility of super fang, u-turn, and taunt). Drapion is also important merely for the fact he is the only poison that is immune to psychic (with this generations slight increase in psychic attacks, its helpful).

I also played around with a more attacking based team with Venomoth to BP a Dance or 2 for Toxicroak or Nidoking.

I tried more defensive variants with Weezing and Amoongus, while testing out Nidoqueen as well. Its nice to have 2-3 Ground immune on a poison team, and Drapion covers the psychic weakness as well (although hes the only one).

Overall, it was a lot of fun to play around with. There are some very potent poison types that really help the overall team move forward. Its just that crippling weakness to ground that really gets to them, but you can get around that (3 immune and 1 neutral at most).
What about Skuntank? It's also a Poison/Dark.

Poison is great, most Poison mons get such great coverage in terms of move pool. Sad thing is that Poison itself as an attacking type sucks terribly.

@above: Oops. I guess I forget about Skuntank because I hate the damn thing so much. But it definitely can work for another psychic immune for a poison team.

And yes, the fact poison sucks for attacking is really its biggest absolute downfall. Thank goodness they have mons like Nidoking/Nidoqueen and Toxicroak, who have great coverage in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)